What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Collusion - what say you? - Update - I’m playing the sketchy commish in the semi’s and Thomas is out (2 Viewers)

What should happen since the trade already went through?

• Overturn the trade

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • Fine both owners significantly but allow the trade

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Impeach the commissioner

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • Let trade stand but fine and impeach

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Overturn trade, fine and impeach

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 107 49.3%

• Total voters
Ask yourself, why don't NFL GMs just include as a condition of the trade that the traded players may not be used against their former team? 

That'd solve the problem you've identified.

Do you think the league office would be OK with that sort of agreement?
:confused:    Fantasy Football leagues do tons of things real NFL teams don't allow. 

Starting with letting regular people like us run the teams and make the rules. ;)  

My only point was it's entirely reasonable for a GM to not want to face a player he traded away and it felt like the opposite of tanking.  

Why could they not just make the same trade after they played? Why not just make the trade agreed upon with the condition that it executed the day after that week had concluded?

I'd be the league would care less if that kind of condition were there because it effectively did the same thing, but was in the open and netted the same result. Or, just wait until the trade wouldn't process until after they had played.

Why could they not just make the same trade after they played? Why not just make the trade agreed upon with the condition that it executed the day after that week had concluded?

I'd be the league would care less if that kind of condition were there because it effectively did the same thing, but was in the open and netted the same result. Or, just wait until the trade wouldn't process until after they had played.
I'm assuming the guy trading MT away wanted to use the player he got in return that week.

And you danced around the question.  Shocking.
not wasting my time answering a bunch of other scenarios....we could be here all day.....I've already said they are all different....

again....not sure many will argue that if you think sitting Thomas for one week will give you a better chance to win the championship....then most are going to do what?......they are going to sit Thomas.....you'd be stupid not too.....

probably had to do with the other players involved and them playing that particular week....

Devil's advocate. Suppose the owner getting Thomas stuck him in the line-up last second. What recourse does the other owner have?

Granted I play in simple leagues but I'm not crazy about trades that involve "intangible" assets.

:confused:    Fantasy Football leagues do tons of things real NFL teams don't allow. 

Starting with letting regular people like us run the teams and make the rules. ;)  

My only point was it's entirely reasonable for a GM to not want to face a player he traded away and it felt like the opposite of tanking.  
The principle at stake here is the same whether we're talking fantasy football or real football.

Agreeing to bench a player you would otherwise start is not kosher in either context.

This seems not like collusion and instead just a condition on a trade. 

I'm assuming this was out in the open.

Not wanting to face the player he traded is an entirely reasonable thing for a GM to request if he's trading a top guy away. 

I definitely wouldn't do anything as commish. 

I'd probably drop out of the league if the commish intervened. 

But I also fully lean way toward commish vetoing trade stuff as a last resort. 
this exactly!  it was just a condition of a trade.

The principle at stake here is the same whether we're talking fantasy football or real football.

Agreeing to bench a player you would otherwise start is not kosher in either context.
Thanks. We'll just disagree there. All good. 

not wasting my time answering a bunch of other scenarios....we could be here all day.....I've already said they are all different....

again....not sure many will argue that if you think sitting Thomas for one week will give you a better chance to win the championship....then most are going to do what?......they are going to sit Thomas.....you'd be stupid not too.....
Yes you're avoiding the question because you would call that collusion if that was the case and it doesn't fit your agenda.  Convenient. 

Yes if I was in the commissioners shoes I would be tempted to, but would probably tell the owner during negotiations that it wouldn't be fair for the rest of the league if I didn't play my optimum line up.  Especially since he's the commissioner. 

Without knowing what the entirety of the deal was, the whole "I'll sit Thomas" component may just be a small and ultimately immaterial part of it.  Those saying the Thomas owner agreed to start a suboptimal lineup don't necessarily have all the facts of a deal that may not have been made without that condition included.  What if the deal was actually something like Derrick Henry and DK Metcalf for Kamara and Michael Thomas ("but you can't start Thomas")?  The new Thomas owner might have reasonably felt that the "not starting Thomas" condition wasn't a big deal for that week, considering he was going to be able to start Kamara instead of Derrick Henry against the Colts.  So he's making the deal and assuming he has a net lineup upgrade with Kamara over Henry, despite the condition to not start Thomas.   Just feels like more is being made about this condition than possibly needs to be. 

Without knowing what the entirety of the deal was, the whole "I'll sit Thomas" component may just be a small and ultimately immaterial part of it.  Those saying the Thomas owner agreed to start a suboptimal lineup don't necessarily have all the facts of a deal that may not have been made without that condition included.  What if the deal was actually something like Derrick Henry and DK Metcalf for Kamara and Michael Thomas ("but you can't start Thomas")?  The new Thomas owner might have reasonably felt that the "not starting Thomas" condition wasn't a big deal for that week, considering he was going to be able to start Kamara instead of Derrick Henry against the Colts.  So he's making the deal and assuming he has a net lineup upgrade with Kamara over Henry, despite the condition to not start Thomas.   Just feels like more is being made about this condition than possibly needs to be. 
Yes. It would be helpful to have the entire trade with all the conditions.

I would certainly consider this as a condition of a trade if I’m giving up a stud to an opponent. 

Another scenario I’d request this as a condition would be if the player I’m receiving is on bye while playing against the trade partner. 

And with trade deadlines having past recently you want the deal done now because you can’t do it later. 

This just isn’t a big deal in my opinion. 

sometimes you think its worth it to risk an immediate setback to hopefully reap the rewards down the road......kind like taking your wife to see Nutcracker or something

sometimes you think its worth it to risk an immediate setback to hopefully reap the rewards down the road......kind like taking your wife to see Nutcracker or something
Yes it's worth it for team A.  No one is saying it's not, you seem to be arguing something that isn't being contested.

It's not fair to the rest of the league for him to not be playing his best line up that week. 

Yes it's worth it for team A.  No one is saying it's not, you seem to be arguing something that isn't being contested.

It's not fair to the rest of the league for him to not be playing his best line up that week. 
Again, without knowing the entire trade nobody here knows whether or not “the Thomas condition” was indeed a setback to his lineup last week.  If he got another piece that was an upgrade, sitting Thomas may have been offset compared to simply not making the trade at all.   Put another way, it’s possible his lineup was better by making the trade and putting Thomas on his bench vs not making the trade at all. 

Its curious that @Judge Smails didn’t detail the whole trade, but it’s pretty clear he feels like it’s collusion so I’m guessing detailing the trade doesn’t help his case. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, without knowing the entire trade nobody here knows whether or not “the Thomas condition” was indeed a setback to his lineup last week.  If he got another piece that was an upgrade, sitting Thomas may have been offset compared to simply not making the trade at all.   Put another way, it’s possible his lineup was better by making the trade and putting Thomas on his bench vs not making the trade at all.
The result doesn't matter, the intention does.  The owner admitted that he benched Thomas on purpose and that he would have started him otherwise.

Sure. I'd say the conditions need to be reasonable. 

Not wanting to face the guy you just traded away seems entirely reasonable. 
Then don't make the trade that week and wait until the following week.  This is 100% collusion as one team is purposely playing a worse lineup against the other guy in order to get a trade to be accepted.  That is close to the definition of collusion.

Don't look at it as Team A is helping Team B win. Team A is making a concession in order to get the deal done.  What if Thomas was instead on a bye?  There'd be no issue trading B a player that he could use against him for a player that couldn't be used by A against B.  I've often waited to buy a player on his bye in order to acquire them... 

Not admitting it at the time of trade was bad judgment on their part. 
That is completely different.  This is one team purposely playing an inferior lineup.  That is a lack of integrity and the definition of collusion by one team getting a player from another team if he purposely fields a lesser team against that opponent.  If it was that big of a deal, then wait one week and then make the deal.  No need for purposely playing a lesser lineup. 

Then don't make the trade that week and wait until the following week.  This is 100% collusion as one team is purposely playing a worse lineup against the other guy in order to get a trade to be accepted.  That is close to the definition of collusion.
close or pretty much.....lol...

the other players involved probably necessitated the deal not waiting a week....and some leagues have trade deadlines that may come into play.....lots of reasons it maybe couldn't "wait"...

I don't think it's quite that clear in this situation.  I strongly considered benching Thomas in a league last week because for week 10 I thought my best lineup didn't include him  The acquiring team may have been looking at him as a long term improvement but not the best choice right now.
That is different than agreeing to not play Thomas as part of the deal.  That is analyzing the matchups and making an independent decision to play what you think is the best lineup.  Not agreeing to bench a guy solely for the purpose of the deal.  

The result doesn't matter, the intention does.  The owner admitted that he benched Thomas on purpose and that he would have started him otherwise.
Wut?  Well obviously the owner admitted he would have started Thomas had that condition not been part of the deal.  That's not collusion, that's a condition of the deal that's not very material in the grand scheme of this week + the rest of the season (or longer, if dynasty).   

My point is that it's possible he made this trade and agreed to bench Thomas for one week and still felt that resulted in a BETTER OVERALL LINEUP than simply not making the trade.  If that's the case, then how is that collusion?  So you're telling me, as an owner, that I can't make a trade where I feel it helps my lineup this week if a condition of that trade is a restriction on whether or not I can play a certain player?  There's really nothing overwhelmingly collusive about that, unless there are some other details we're not being provided. 

close or pretty much.....lol...

the other players involved probably necessitated the deal not waiting a week....and some leagues have trade deadlines that may come into play.....lots of reasons it maybe couldn't "wait"...
Ok....it is collusion.  Two teams agreeing to give one team an advantage that is unknown to the rest of the league

Collusion:  secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

Wut?  Well obviously the owner admitted he would have started Thomas had that condition not been part of the deal.  That's not collusion, that's a condition of the deal that's not very material in the grand scheme of this week + the rest of the season (or longer, if dynasty).   

My point is that it's possible he made this trade and agreed to bench Thomas for one week and still felt that resulted in a BETTER OVERALL LINEUP than simply not making the trade.  If that's the case, then how is that collusion?  So you're telling me, as an owner, that I can't make a trade where I feel it helps my lineup this week if a condition of that trade is a restriction on whether or not I can play a certain player?  There's really nothing overwhelmingly collusive about that, unless there are some other details we're not being provided. 
Collusion:  secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

This deal was done in secret to deceive others in the league.  Hence it was collusion

Yes his line up may have been better overall.  The scenarios are separate though. Those arguing collusion are saying that "conditions of a trade being that you can't play him that week" is bogus and should not be allowed. Never would in any sports league, and I feel shouldn't be allowed in fantasy. 

This deal was done in secret to deceive others in the league.  Hence it was collusion
So if they announced the trade condition before week 10 you would be Ok with it?

So if they announced the trade condition before week 10 you would be Ok with it?
I am guessing that if they announced it before the trade happened then the league would not have been ok with it.  As a Commish I would not have been ok with it.   

However, the fact they did it secretly does make it collusion. 

Devil's advocate. Suppose the owner getting Thomas stuck him in the line-up last second. What recourse does the other owner have?

Granted I play in simple leagues but I'm not crazy about trades that involve "intangible" assets.
I'm starting to waiver in my opinion based on this post and some really compelling arguments made by others in here......I too do not like the "intangible" part of the deal the more I think about it.....it feels "yucky"....

I have been a commish for a long time.....and this is a really good one.....I can see both sides....but I'm starting to think it shouldn't be allowed....I don't think it is necessarily collusion but I don't think these type of conditions are "in the best interest of the league" and I do think it disrupts the "competitive balance of the league".....those have always been the two things I thought about and think about when changing rules, making decisions, etc....props to you guys for making a great argument.....

If I had made a deal with this condition, which I’ve never done, I wouldn’t have given a second thought to the fact that  this “condition” wasn’t announced to the rest of the league.  That’s because I wouldn’t have felt it was a big deal, it was only impacting my game vs my trade partner, and it wasn’t agreed to in order to “cheat or deceive” anyone else.  To think they’re somehow “cheating” here is a really massive leap.

I'm talking about the feeling and motivation.

I said, "I'd say every GM who's ever traded away a top player has felt this. NFL teams do it all the time not wanting to trade to a division opponent."

You hear it all the time about a team hesitant to trade to a division opponent. 

Apologies I wasn't clear. 
I understand why two owners might want to collude in this way.

And, it's collusion.

Either teams whole team could've had the worst week ever. No points are guaranteed prior to playing. Sitting one does not equal another on the team posting points they were assumed to get. I've been beat by a 50+ point effort by 2 players on an opposing team while the rest were well below their point forecast. I see it as a not optimal trade condition, but not illegal either. Vote on it before next year's season starts.

The problem here is sitting an obvious player who should be started. That affects the rest of the league. It could very well be the difference in the game, possibly affecting playoff standings.

No can do, especially trying to hide it. Definite punishment of some sort, IMO (not sure what without being in the league).

Bottom line, teams should be required to start their best lineup (for obvious reasons). When that's not required, you better find another league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had made a deal with this condition, which I’ve never done, I wouldn’t have given a second thought to the fact that  this “condition” wasn’t announced to the rest of the league.  That’s because I wouldn’t have felt it was a big deal, it was only impacting my game vs my trade partner, and it wasn’t agreed to in order to “cheat or deceive” anyone else.  To think they’re somehow “cheating” here is a really massive leap.
the intent may not to be "cheating".....but it could affect the competitive balance of the league in terms wins/losses/playoffs etc.....

if allowed it does set a "yucky" precedent on intangibles and conditions of trades, etc....opens open the door for a ton of other potentially yucky situations....

Now if the OP posts the actual trade, records of the two teams, and other pertinent facts, I may do a complete 180.
That information is irrelevant.  The stakes ahouldn't matter to determine if the action was improper.

The fact is one team is using players they acquired while the other team is purposely not using the player they acquired as a favor for the other team.  For this game they are making one team out of two to give an unfair edge to one of the teams.  This is collusion as it was done secretly and is bad for the rest of the league.

I don't think it's quite that clear in this situation.  I strongly considered benching Thomas in a league last week because for week 10 I thought my best lineup didn't include him  The acquiring team may have been looking at him as a long term improvement but not the best choice right now.
Admittedly not  the case. It was Thomas vs Mattison.  Like flex #25 vs #170

You are effectively using fantasy points as trading "currency". You get Thomas, I get player X and I get the difference between what I anticipate MT will score and what your next best player will score. If that's okay, when does it become not okay? How many points can my opponent spot me before there's something wrong with it?

The team that received Thomas got 2 other players in the deal. Carlos Hyde, who was hurt. And Mattison. Which made sense as he had Cook. So got his backup. So forgetting about the overall fairness of the trade, for this week Hyde was not active and Mattison was a pure backup to a healthy Cook vs the Bears D. All other players were injured or on a bye. So his only options to field a starting lineup were an active, healthy Thomas at home vs the Niners or Mattison backing up Cook. Dodds had Thomas as #8 WR, and Thomas #55 RB I believe. Flex was #25 vs #150 or something. 

Owner admitted to Thomas being the better player this week and to the trade consideration benching of Thomas. 

This is a 25 year league. 12 owners with 10 of us in it for the duration. $6K or so to the winner and a lot of trash talking pride over rings. Integrity of the league is important. Everyone cares in this league. 

The team that received Thomas got 2 other players in the deal. Carlos Hyde, who was hurt. And Mattison. Which made sense as he had Cook. So got his backup. So forgetting about the overall fairness of the trade, for this week Hyde was not active and Mattison was a pure backup to a healthy Cook vs the Bears D. All other players were injured or on a bye. So his only options to field a starting lineup were an active, healthy Thomas at home vs the Niners or Mattison backing up Cook. Dodds had Thomas as #8 WR, and Thomas #55 RB I believe. Flex was #25 vs #150 or something. 

Owner admitted to Thomas being the better player this week and to the trade consideration benching of Thomas. 

This is a 25 year league. 12 owners with 10 of us in it for the duration. $6K or so to the winner and a lot of trash talking pride over rings. Integrity of the league is important. Everyone cares in this league. 
Curious what he gave up.

Users who are viewing this thread