What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (5 Viewers)

I think long term a world where you:

Going for a walk and not having a cheat meal will give better results than exercise and a cheat meal.

By and large people over-weight exercise importance in weight loss goals, when it's at least 80% diet. Probably more.  

Using exercise to promote a cheat meal is going to fail in all but the most extreme corner cases. Maybe it works for a baseline, but that's just as easily explainable by the fact that measuring both exercise calories and intake calories is subject to a lot of error.
One thing to keep in mind is I think it’s pretty conservative to say that over a million Americans have used cardio of one type or another to lose or maintain weight. I could name several people even here at FBGs. No doubt many who try will fail but I think you sometimes come across as too dismissive of cardio.

1/4/21 -- 251.4    First goal is 240

Stay at home full time taking care of my elderly father, so need to stop wandering into kitchen for a snack and continue to use the rowing machine.

1/7/21 -- 248.6   Not snacking, need to row more

1/12/21 -- 247.6   Turn 55 on 1/30 so will see if we can get to 240 by then

How much did you lose, and how long have you kept it off?

Also, did you yo-yo, at all? What were your biggest obstacles in maintaining goal weight?
I was in pretty rough shape ucler wise from 2002 to 2006.  Often times eating junk food was the only way to calm things down. I also ran at the time and developed a lot of knee pain and then quit running.   Got up to my highest waist band at 38" during that time period and probably never saw north of 190 at any point, but cast a shadow on 190 at 5-10".  

I took on a more "clean/vegan-ish" diet and started riding bikes.  Alot. Was riding upwards of 20hrs at a minimum weekly and up to 40.  Was training for semi-competitive 60-100 mile rides and pulled down to about 135#.  Ulcers were better, controllable by meds and a lesser extent diet.

Started migrating away from long distance rides and into lifting in perhaps 2011 and more or less went to full time lifting in 2014 with low intensity cardio to support it, and began a bulk process that would be described as "Primal" using much of the principals proposed by Mark Sisson, this period cleaned up my ulcers entirely.  The goal then being to find a point somewhere between 165-175 that looks good in a 12-15% BF range.  I think the Aria probably is a little optimistic on BF and I'm probably needing to seek out somewhere in the 165-168 range prior to summer.

You can review my long term measurements here:

https://imgur.com/a/UY95CAi

I would say at peak was 190 at 38" waist

Now at 175ish at a 30" waist

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to keep in mind is I think it’s pretty conservative to say that over a million Americans have used cardio of one type or another to lose or maintain weight. I could name several people even here at FBGs. No doubt many who try will fail but I think you sometimes come across as too dismissive of cardio.
I would say, that those that are successful in maintaining weight are primarily successful because they have found a way to moderate the intake.  Not due to cardio.  Cardio is by far the most used form of exercise.  So there will be those that find success with it.  It's not to dismiss it, but there are multiple factors in play it's best to turn the biggest knob (intake) and keep the focus on that.  

Got up to my highest waist band at 38" during that time period and probably never saw north of 190 at any point, but cast a shadow on 190 at 5-10". 
This is kind of what I figured.  Your advice makes more sense in the context of your experience, where you already had some exercise background and were replacing runninf with biking and biking with resistance training. You were already planning to exercise, so counting the calories in your diet was just messing with your diet. 

I'm the same height and am on my way down from 284.6. Getting to 184.6 for you took a week with a big dump. It will have taken me over two years, losing a hundred pounds, adding running, rowing, yoga and resistance training to my lifestyle along the way. 

That doesn't make my experience better or worse, it just means we've got very different goals so we developed different approaches to meet them. 

I trained for a half marathon back around 2006. I weighed then about what I weigh now.  I told a tall lanky runner friend of mine that it was my first time running the distance, and I wasn't sure I would be able to finish. He told me that if I was getting tired to just drop down to 8 minute miles. What helpful advice that would have been if I were capable of running an 8 minute mile back then.  I ended up finishing in 2:20 and was very proud of that. 

A number of people in this thread are in that 150 to 170 range, and would probably benefit more from your approach than mine. A lot of us are 220, 230, 250, or more and are building good habits from scratch. When you say something like "I would highly advise to never, ever, ever, ever count exercise calories for anything.  Pretend like they don't exist and exercise is free.", you're probably giving good advice to people like yourself, but I don't think it's good advice in general. 

I was in pretty rough shape ucler wise from 2002 to 2006.  Often times eating junk food was the only way to calm things down. I also ran at the time and developed a lot of knee pain and then quit running.   Got up to my highest waist band at 38" during that time period and probably never saw north of 190 at any point, but cast a shadow on 190 at 5-10".  

I took on a more "clean/vegan-ish" diet and started riding bikes.  Alot. Was riding upwards of 20hrs at a minimum weekly and up to 40.  Was training for semi-competitive 60-100 mile rides and pulled down to about 135#.  Ulcers were better, controllable by meds and a lesser extent diet.

Started migrating away from long distance rides and into lifting in perhaps 2011 and more or less went to full time lifting in 2014 with low intensity cardio to support it, and began a bulk process that would be described as "Primal" using much of the principals proposed by Mark Sisson, this period cleaned up my ulcers entirely.  The goal then being to find a point somewhere between 165-175 that looks good in a 12-15% BF range.  I think the Aria probably is a little optimistic on BF and I'm probably needing to seek out somewhere in the 165-168 range prior to summer.

You can review my long term measurements here:

https://imgur.com/a/UY95CAi

I would say at peak was 190 at 38" waist

Now at 175ish at a 30" waist
That's impressive as hell. Good on you for the sustained success! And I genuinely appreciate your input into the fitness/nutrition threads- even moreso knowing it was all self-taught and hard won. You've given yourself a Master's degree in nutrition and physiology. 

What were your biggest challenges to staying active/making healthy lifestyle choices? I'm exactly like AAABatteries described- I am great at setting a goal and then once I hit it, I go back to bad habits. I think I am in the majority on that (looking at Otis, here)

I know people are wired differently- was there a time where you felt like going back to bad habits or slipped up, got unhealthy and then changed things up? or was it a constant arc of improvement for you? What is/are the most important parts of sustaining a healthy lifestyle for you? How do you beat that mental game?

I wouldn't say I'm building from scratch. I was an athlete in college. I lifted or excercised 6 days a week.  I know what to do. I just got extremely lazy and never recovered. . :)

That's impressive as hell. Good on you for the sustained success! And I genuinely appreciate your input into the fitness/nutrition threads- even moreso knowing it was all self-taught and hard won. You've given yourself a Master's degree in nutrition and physiology. 

What were your biggest challenges to staying active/making healthy lifestyle choices? I'm exactly like AAABatteries described- I am great at setting a goal and then once I hit it, I go back to bad habits. I think I am in the majority on that (looking at Otis, here)

I know people are wired differently- was there a time where you felt like going back to bad habits or slipped up, got unhealthy and then changed things up? or was it a constant arc of improvement for you? What is/are the most important parts of sustaining a healthy lifestyle for you? How do you beat that mental game?
My biggest challenge in one word.  Alcohol.  

I see nearly immediate concrete physique gains with reduction/elimination of booze.  I'm teetering over edge of just quitting entirely.  Got down to weekend drinking starting in perhaps mid 2018.  I need to go over the finish line.  It's hard.  I'm proud I've been able to maintain weekend only for awhile, though. 

The biggest other challenge is time.  With a family and all that it is tough to take that time for yourself.  Had to sacrifice some other things at times.  A gym opening up within 5 min of my work was a massive gamechanger for me.  Those that don't have those opportunities won't necessarily be able to duplicate at least without extra commute time.

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 12  262.4   - 12.0 lbs

I fell of the wagon this weekend.  Saturday was a family birthday weekend and while I did well in the morning and afternoon, there was snaking, 18 oz of steak and IPA in the evening.

Sat - Didn't count cal but 3000 was likely

Sun - Didn't court cal but est. 1500-1800

Mon - didn't count cal but 500 in energy bars, 250 in healthy snack, chicken breast, peas, and two drinks during the game.  Likely under 1500.

I lifted Friday and Saturday and took off Sun/Mon.  I ran 20 min on Sat only.  Probably 5 miles of waking yesterday.  I've decided to ditch 100 runs in 100 days for now.  I'm just too heavy at this time and too little base.  Dealt with a good bit of muscle soreness last week so it's best that I take rest days to allow adaption.  My treadmill speed has increased from 12 min/mi to 11 min/mi.  Plenty of low hanging fruit to pick off on that front and it's better that I don't over do it at this point.  Ultimate goal is a 100 mi race just a little over 8 months out.

This is kind of what I figured.  Your advice makes more sense in the context of your experience, where you already had some exercise background and were replacing runninf with biking and biking with resistance training. You were already planning to exercise, so counting the calories in your diet was just messing with your diet. 

I'm the same height and am on my way down from 284.6. Getting to 184.6 for you took a week with a big dump. It will have taken me over two years, losing a hundred pounds, adding running, rowing, yoga and resistance training to my lifestyle along the way. 

That doesn't make my experience better or worse, it just means we've got very different goals so we developed different approaches to meet them. 

I trained for a half marathon back around 2006. I weighed then about what I weigh now.  I told a tall lanky runner friend of mine that it was my first time running the distance, and I wasn't sure I would be able to finish. He told me that if I was getting tired to just drop down to 8 minute miles. What helpful advice that would have been if I were capable of running an 8 minute mile back then.  I ended up finishing in 2:20 and was very proud of that. 

A number of people in this thread are in that 150 to 170 range, and would probably benefit more from your approach than mine. A lot of us are 220, 230, 250, or more and are building good habits from scratch. When you say something like "I would highly advise to never, ever, ever, ever count exercise calories for anything.  Pretend like they don't exist and exercise is free.", you're probably giving good advice to people like yourself, but I don't think it's good advice in general. 
People maybe are focusing on words here.  It's better approximated by saying

• Control weight with calorie intake and increasing NEAT
  • Be healthier with exercise.  
There is a grey area where NEAT and Exercise overlap.  I would nearly always bucket anything that could be considered NEAT as NEAT.

People maybe are focusing on words here.  It's better approximated by saying

• Control weight with calorie intake and increasing NEAT
  • Be healthier with exercise.  
There is a grey area where NEAT and Exercise overlap.  I would nearly always bucket anything that could be considered NEAT as NEAT.
I'm definitely not. 

I'm talking about a big picture approach. 

I set my calorie goal at the lowest safe number. I estimate my TDEE using myfitnesspal set on sedentary, and tell it I want to lose 2 lbs per week. I consistently lost about 2lbs per week this way. My target when I started was about 1650, now it's 1500, and it will go down as I lose weight. 

If I set myself to moderately active, it would take into account the NEAT you're talking about (non exercise activity). But I don't, because I want to count my running and I don't want to double count it by saying I'm active AND I went for a run.

I try to meet that goal every day. It's difficult for me to restrict myself to 1500 calories, but right now that is my lose 2lbs a week goal. That might seem high to you but I've been doing this for a long time and I am pretty close to exactly 2lbs per week when I follow myfitnesspal so for me it works. 

1500 is a realistic BMR for someone sedentary who is not overweight. But right now it loses me 2 lb per week. That is because I'm fat and am not completely sedentary. 

If I want to earn more than 1500 by exercising I can. That motivates me to exercise. Work more eat more. 

You suggest ignoring those calories. That motivates me to exercise less. At your job would you work more to get paid the same?  

You rely on your intrinsic motivation to exercise, and encourage more accurate calorie counting. I rely on the process to reinforce good habits and permanent lifestyle changes, and am willing to trade off some accuracy on my calorie counting. If I lose 1.5 lbs this week instead of 2 but get in 3 good runs, 3 rows, yoga and some pushups/eips/kettlebell swings, I'm better off than if I burned 2 lbs and did a couple workouts out of obligation. 

Remember that I'm still making newb gains - which means I can add muscle on a caloric deficit if I have enough protein and rest. You probably can't cut and bulk at the same time. 

Also remember that I'm cutting a lot of weight, which means I'm losing a lot of muscle mass. You can't expect to lose large amounts of weight- in my case over 100 lbs - without losing any muscle, but if you eat your protein and work out you can gain back some of the muscles you're losing. 

So my approach is wildly different from yours, because my goals are different. 

A number of people in this thread are in that 150 to 170 range, and would probably benefit more from your approach than mine. When you say something like "I would highly advise to never, ever, ever, ever count exercise calories for anything.  Pretend like they don't exist and exercise is free.", you're probably giving good advice to people like yourself, but I don't think it's good advice in general. 
The above describes me BF.....including that I can't just focus on exercise, but rather also need to count calories still.  Sometime in the range of August-November 2020, I gained close to 10 pounds.  In a 3-month period.   While doing a combo of running + walking about 10 miles per day and playing tennis 2-3x per week.  Why?   Because while I was exercising a lot, that also came with a massive ramp-up in caloric intake, primarily junk food.

I need the discipline of monitoring my caloric intake AND I need to be highly active.   It's just my reality.  Would love to have a different reality -- but that isn't in the cards.  

bostonfred said:
I'm definitely not. 

I'm talking about a big picture approach. 

I set my calorie goal at the lowest safe number. I estimate my TDEE using myfitnesspal set on sedentary, and tell it I want to lose 2 lbs per week. I consistently lost about 2lbs per week this way. My target when I started was about 1650, now it's 1500, and it will go down as I lose weight. 

If I set myself to moderately active, it would take into account the NEAT you're talking about (non exercise activity). But I don't, because I want to count my running and I don't want to double count it by saying I'm active AND I went for a run.

I try to meet that goal every day. It's difficult for me to restrict myself to 1500 calories, but right now that is my lose 2lbs a week goal. That might seem high to you but I've been doing this for a long time and I am pretty close to exactly 2lbs per week when I follow myfitnesspal so for me it works. 

1500 is a realistic BMR for someone sedentary who is not overweight. But right now it loses me 2 lb per week. That is because I'm fat and am not completely sedentary. 

If I want to earn more than 1500 by exercising I can. That motivates me to exercise. Work more eat more. 

You suggest ignoring those calories. That motivates me to exercise less. At your job would you work more to get paid the same?  

You rely on your intrinsic motivation to exercise, and encourage more accurate calorie counting. I rely on the process to reinforce good habits and permanent lifestyle changes, and am willing to trade off some accuracy on my calorie counting. If I lose 1.5 lbs this week instead of 2 but get in 3 good runs, 3 rows, yoga and some pushups/eips/kettlebell swings, I'm better off than if I burned 2 lbs and did a couple workouts out of obligation. 

Remember that I'm still making newb gains - which means I can add muscle on a caloric deficit if I have enough protein and rest. You probably can't cut and bulk at the same time. 

Also remember that I'm cutting a lot of weight, which means I'm losing a lot of muscle mass. You can't expect to lose large amounts of weight- in my case over 100 lbs - without losing any muscle, but if you eat your protein and work out you can gain back some of the muscles you're losing. 

So my approach is wildly different from yours, because my goals are different. 
It's really helpful to read what both of you are saying back & forth.   Different approaches for different goals.  As I shift into a different mode soon (gain muscle mass, continue to maintain overall weight, reduce fat) it is a very good reminder that my approach will need to change from what it is today.   If I'm honest with myself (which isn't my instinct ever), I still eat too many empty calories.   Need more consistent consumption of lean protein, fruits & vegetables, fiber.   Working on it and getting better, but still a long way to go.

Thanks to both of you for the back & forth.

You're amazing AFC
In no way do I want my post to come across as negative toward Acer and Corporation but I took their posts to mean they have never drank alcohol. Fantastic for their health and probably difficult due to peer pressure but in the context of not drinking it’s the easiest form of it.  Never start.  It’s definitely a good life lesson though, especially for our kids - smoking, alcohol, drugs, rooting for UGA - the best way to overcome it is to never start.

*And maybe I’m wrong on them having never drank but I think those number of days are like 40-50 years.

I’ll give my 2 cents on the counting exercise.  I’ve had my best weight loss success when not exercising but doing NEAT.  I’ve had my best maintenance when doing exercise.  Totally anecdotal and goes to Fred’s point that one size doesn’t fit all but also kind of supports culdeus.

My biggest concern would be are you getting enough nutrition to do the exercise and also still meet your goals.  

It's really helpful to read what both of you are saying back & forth.   Different approaches for different goals.  As I shift into a different mode soon (gain muscle mass, continue to maintain overall weight, reduce fat) it is a very good reminder that my approach will need to change from what it is today.   If I'm honest with myself (which isn't my instinct ever), I still eat too many empty calories.   Need more consistent consumption of lean protein, fruits & vegetables, fiber.   Working on it and getting better, but still a long way to go.

Thanks to both of you for the back & forth.
I hadn’t read your post when I just posted but that kind of how I think about it - do what you need and motivates you to lose and then adjust for maintenance.  I almost never have problems losing but my maintenance mode sucks.

On at 228. Plan is to count calories with a 16/8 eating plan. No food after 7pm. Walk a minimum of 30 minutes each day. No processed sugars. I had success with this a few years ago. I quit sugar for 18 months and had near immediate success. I also maintained a decent weight until I added some processed sugar back in to my diet. Sugar really is my enemy here.

I have a bum knee and elbow that I need to get fixed which limits my ability to exercise like I used to. I also can’t run anymore because of the mesh implant I received from a hernia repair years ago. The mesh really started causing me problems a few years ago, mostly when I run.

On at 228. Plan is to count calories with a 16/8 eating plan. No food after 7pm. Walk a minimum of 30 minutes each day. No processed sugars. I had success with this a few years ago. I quit sugar for 18 months and had near immediate success. I also maintained a decent weight until I added some processed sugar back in to my diet. Sugar really is my enemy here.
This is pretty much what I could post exactly.  I’m at 208 today - down 8 pounds so far.  Good luck CDH

In no way do I want my post to come across as negative toward Acer and Corporation but I took their posts to mean they have never drank alcohol. Fantastic for their health and probably difficult due to peer pressure but in the context of not drinking it’s the easiest form of it.  Never start.  It’s definitely a good life lesson though, especially for our kids - smoking, alcohol, drugs, rooting for UGA - the best way to overcome it is to never start.

*And maybe I’m wrong on them having never drank but I think those number of days are like 40-50 years.
:lmao:

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 12  262.4   - 12.0 lbs, 1627 cal, lift, 20 min jog

Jan 13  261.8   - 12.6 lbs

Missed my 1400 target yesterday.  Pulled a steak out of the freezer as I'm trying to clear out some food.  Knew the cal count would be high so breakfast was 100 cal latte and lunch a chicken breast.  The steak was a 16 oz Porterhouse.  I went with 12 oz in MFP after discarding the bone and tossing the fat.  That still came in at a whopping 880 calories. Three tbsp of steak sauce and 1/2 a large potato and I was at 1035 for the meal.  Pretty easy to see how you can get  well into the 2000s without even really pigging out.  The whiskey night cap put me over the top.  To speak to BF's point, the 20 min jog burned 350-400 cal which covered the overage.  The jogs was a couple of taps on the up arrow faster than usual and not soreness today.  Having a hard time telling what muscle groups I worked yesterday which means either the lifting is progressing or I whimped out and didn't go hard enough.  2.8 lbs to go until I get to up my cal count to 2200 on workout days for the rest of the month.

I’ll give my 2 cents on the counting exercise.  I’ve had my best weight loss success when not exercising but doing NEAT.  I’ve had my best maintenance when doing exercise.  Totally anecdotal and goes to Fred’s point that one size doesn’t fit all but also kind of supports culdeus.

My biggest concern would be are you getting enough nutrition to do the exercise and also still meet your goals.  
This is a "Cross that bridge when you get there" situation.  There are advanced strategies to work around this, that are outside the scope of the conversation here for the time being.  It's mostly proven at this point that you can build muscle and lose fat as a beginner in any sport, this was more controversial perhaps even 5 years ago.  Where this gets complex is if you have a fitness background that is 5,10,20 years gone by.  It's still manageable in those situations but it can cloudy things up a little bit.  

Huh.  I took it as “gave up alcohol” and then did the math and then interpreted it as “I’m really old but don’t want to say that out loud.”

This is a "Cross that bridge when you get there" situation.  There are advanced strategies to work around this, that are outside the scope of the conversation here for the time being.  It's mostly proven at this point that you can build muscle and lose fat as a beginner in any sport, this was more controversial perhaps even 5 years ago.  Where this gets complex is if you have a fitness background that is 5,10,20 years gone by.  It's still manageable in those situations but it can cloudy things up a little bit.  
Fortunately nobody in this thread appears to be a 15-20 year fitness guru. ;)

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9                    1620
  • Jan 7           210.3                -2.8                    1540
  • Jan 8           210.3                -2.8                    1510
  • Jan 9           209.4                -3.7                    1620
  • Jan 10         209.8                -3.3                    1470
  • Jan 11         209.2                -3.9                    1520
  • Jan 12         207.4                -5.7                    1520
  • Jan 13         207.4
One month to my interim goal of Valentine's Day.  Was hoping to hit 200 by then but I think I'll be just shy, and that is fine.  It was an arbitrary goal and date to begin with.  I'll predict 201.2 on VDay.

You are right for me.  I don't judge anyone who drinks, but my family has a long history of issues.  After some of the things I saw growing up, I knew I would never let myself go down that path.  A lot of that stuff is genetically coded, and I have an addictive personality like many in my family (probably why I can eat so much).  I just never wanted to risk trying alcohol because not many in my family proved they could be social drinkers, it was sadly often destructive drinking. 

I have a bum knee and elbow that I need to get fixed which limits my ability to exercise like I used to. I also can’t run anymore because of the mesh implant I received from a hernia repair years ago. The mesh really started causing me problems a few years ago, mostly when I run.
I don't have a mesh implant, but in 2019 I had emergency surgery when my colon ruptured (please stop laughing, it really hurt :)  ) due to a polyp being removed.  It took a few months to recover (of course I put on weight during that) but even today, core exercises bother me probably more mentally than physically.  My knees are in pretty good shape but I moved to cycling to reduce stress on all my joints, and really enjoy it.  About to have an MRI on my shoulder and hoping to avoid surgery, so that again limits a lot of the exercise I can do.  The bike is my friend.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart :)

You are right for me.  I don't judge anyone who drinks, but my family has a long history of issues.  After some of the things I saw growing up, I knew I would never let myself go down that path.  A lot of that stuff is genetically coded, and I have an addictive personality like many in my family (probably why I can eat so much).  I just never wanted to risk trying alcohol because not many in my family proved they could be social drinkers, it was sadly often destructive drinking. 
Totally get it - I grew up in a very conservative/religious family where drinking was frowned upon but had an alcoholic Grandfather and Uncle.  They were basically about the only ones I knew of that really drank.  I didn't drink much myself until my 30's.  I've wondered numerous times if I had started drinking in my late teens/early 20's if I would have become someone who was borderline alcoholic.  I've really ramped up my drinking in my 40s but still don't consider it an issue.  I rarely if ever get drunk and never feel like I NEED a drink.  I've had 2 drinks since New Year's weekend.

Not that you or anyone else would be starting that late in life but I definitely wouldn't - you obviously don't miss it and it's not only not healthy but it's expensive. 

Oh I thought they were sober for like the last 10 years, I wasn't counting the days as closely as you, I simply saw a large number and figured they quit along the way. 

Sunday-90 Minutes Tennis

Monday/Today-60 Min Walk, 3 Miles and 60 Min Bike, 12 miles so we totaled up 120 minutes today. 

660 Minutes in 8 Days, still eat/drink like a mad man, today was a step in the right direction but ate a lot of sugar over the weekend and even prior to that. 
Tuesday 150 Minutes Tennis, 

Wed 90 Minutes Tennis

900 Minutes in 10 Days and I don't always post my weight but this past weekend sent it up more than I had seen in a long time, the drinking doesn't help but this morning after just a couple detox days which is heavy water, low alcohol or none and a lot of veggies/fruits, scale this morning was very close to my comfort zone of about 180/6-3 and I would like to see that number fall further but I am grateful to be where I am. I haven't gotten a lot further than where I am but i would like to make a run at these last 10-15 lbs and it might not be the scale as much as it is trading muscle for flab lets say, I would like to get tighter. 

Cycling helps, i need to clear 50-60 miles a week and I would be much happier. I tend to only make it out a couple times per week if I am lucky. 

Keeping up with MFP almost two weeks now. Down just over 10lbs in two weeks. Surely some bloat in there. 

Most days I come in several hundred calories below goal. I had one day above goal, but barely, and it was far outweighed by the prior week under figure. I also had a couple alcohol drinks. But all within goals. Own night I had a scotch. It was just Ok, and I woke up with a headache. Another night I had two white wine spritzers. Much better. One day I had a single beer at lunch.

My thinking is that if this is to be a lifestyle change, I’m not going to do extreme stuff. I like alcohol. I’m never going to give it up entirely. So if this is to be a lifestyle change, it will have to allow for a drink or two here or there.  Same goes for snacks. I’ve had chocolate many nights. Chips a few times. Even considered Fritos once, which I love but damnit at 320 calories for the bag I couldn’t justify it.  

So, a nice routine. I’m not exercising hard. Typically I’m taking the dog for a mile walk in the evening. I haven’t been rowing on the regular, just spotty. I’ll eventually work in some more rowing and push-ups. Right now just trying to focus on the calories in. 

I’ll probably be banned again in another couple days. Just back today. Latest ban was because I celebrated that I thought the Georgia elections were a great thing for democracy and would be a nice step in repairing the country.  I guess someone with a mod account just didn’t like that view and banned me for that reason. It is to the point where the moderation makes absolutely no sense to me, so not sure I’ll bother to stick around. But in any event, if I blank out again for a couple weeks or months, rest assured I’m staying the path. Thanks Fred for pushing me back into MFP. Feels like the right solution for me. 

Now if you’ll excuse me I have 1100 calories left. I feel a drink tonight may be in order. And a nice snack or three. 

Good day fat gentlemen. 

Even considered Fritos once, which I love but damnit at 320 calories for the bag I couldn’t justify it.  
Get the little bags

Have one when you need it. Maybe two. You can justify 100 or 200 calories once in a while. It's all sodium and ####ty carbs but if it's the difference between quitting your diet and sticking to it, you can do worse. I was eating those 100 calorie packs a bunch when i first started and now I'm not interested at all. It helped me get to where I am now and I still have a bunch in the pantry that I could eat if I wanted to but never do anymore. 

I have my sugary coffee every morning, other people have ice cream or don't exercise as much. Choose your thing. 

Today I talked to my dad until it was time for my kid to go to bed and now I'm tired. No exercise. Light dinner. So i stayed under calories, no alcohol, skipped my exercise and didn't do a great job eating healthier foods. It's OK. Tomorrow I'll try to do the same thing but with better quality food and some exercise.

For me I'm not having any alcohol because I don't trust myself to stick to my diet if I do. Sustainable for you means not giving up that drink, but giving up the 320 calorie fritos.  Find the stuff that works and just keep improving it.

One thing I really recommend though is keeping the calorie goal sacred. I'd rather you increase your daily calories by choosing lose 1.5 per day than go over once in a while, unless you are planning to go over.  A big part of the process is logging every day and deciding what you can have and what you have to do to earn it. Go easy on breakfast so you can have that drink with dinner, row so you can earn some potatoes with your chicken, whatever. When you start letting yourself go over some days, you take away a little of the power of that calorie goal, and that's when i personally struggle. Your mileage may vary. 

Of course I should remind you that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

Yeah, the day I went over it was knowingly. I was ravenously hungry and knew I’d under eaten all week, so I decided to do it. I only went a couple hundred calories over, it wasn’t 1k. The way I will eventually look at this is as weekly, not daily, calorie totals. I like to let loose snd get wild on Saturday, and I don’t mind undereating on the boring weekdays to allow for that. As long as the math works out, it’s ok. That’s what’s cool about MFP. 

I’m not doing blowouts now though. Trying to stay under on a daily basis as much as possible. So far it isn’t too bad. Does take discipline and tracking, but not terrible. 

Yeah, the day I went over it was knowingly. I was ravenously hungry and knew I’d under eaten all week, so I decided to do it. I only went a couple hundred calories over, it wasn’t 1k. The way I will eventually look at this is as weekly, not daily, calorie totals. I like to let loose snd get wild on Saturday, and I don’t mind undereating on the boring weekdays to allow for that. As long as the math works out, it’s ok. That’s what’s cool about MFP. 

I’m not doing blowouts now though. Trying to stay under on a daily basis as much as possible. So far it isn’t too bad. Does take discipline and tracking, but not terrible. 
Love it. You might already have tried this but you can go to your diary in the app (where you see breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, exercise and the all important complete diary button)  and at the very top where it says Calories Remaining, you can tap on that section to see your nutrients tab with protein, fiber, etc. Click on the left tab for Calories, and in the drop down, choose week view instead of day view, and it will show you your average calories for the last 7days, which meals you blew up on, which foods you had the most calories from, and you can switch from total to net calories. (I'm over total, but under net, because I eat back my exercise calories but don't go over). 

Love it. You might already have tried this but you can go to your diary in the app (where you see breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, exercise and the all important complete diary button)  and at the very top where it says Calories Remaining, you can tap on that section to see your nutrients tab with protein, fiber, etc. Click on the left tab for Calories, and in the drop down, choose week view instead of day view, and it will show you your average calories for the last 7days, which meals you blew up on, which foods you had the most calories from, and you can switch from total to net calories. (I'm over total, but under net, because I eat back my exercise calories but don't go over). 
Nice didn’t know that was there. Thx. 

Thanks - didn’t know about that either.  I’m way under on everything (bad stuff and good stuff) but that’s partly due to MFP not recording all the nutrients for everything that I eat.

Thanks - didn’t know about that either.  I’m way under on everything (bad stuff and good stuff) but that’s partly due to MFP not recording all the nutrients for everything that I eat.
When you scan foods it usually finds the full nutrient label from the barcode. When you type the name in and pick from the list, sometimes the top one just has calories and not nutrients because it was entered by hand. Look for the ones with a checkmark by the name. 

When you add the food and choose 1 serving, it should show you the calories and protein. If you click on the drop down it shows you the other nutrients including sodium. Not sure if that's a premium feature or free. I've started watching sodium after listening to you. 

If you eat the same things often, like a smoothie or salad with the same ingredients, you can create a new recipe and include each food you use and it will add up the ingredients. Not a huge deal if you're just tracking calories but when you get into nutrients it makes a difference. 

When you scan foods it usually finds the full nutrient label from the barcode. When you type the name in and pick from the list, sometimes the top one just has calories and not nutrients because it was entered by hand. Look for the ones with a checkmark by the name. 

When you add the food and choose 1 serving, it should show you the calories and protein. If you click on the drop down it shows you the other nutrients including sodium. Not sure if that's a premium feature or free. I've started watching sodium after listening to you. 

If you eat the same things often, like a smoothie or salad with the same ingredients, you can create a new recipe and include each food you use and it will add up the ingredients. Not a huge deal if you're just tracking calories but when you get into nutrients it makes a difference. 
I didn’t even know you could scan   :lol:   I hand enter everything but we also mainly cook from raw ingredients.  I usually type in “homemade” and then whatever the dish is and MFP usually has something.  I will start compiling the individual ingredients (at least for dishes that I’m cooking).  I’m finding MFP to be a lot of fun.  My calorie goal is 1,890 (maintenance of weight) so that’s pretty easy.  The sodium goal of 2300 mg is not easy at all.  But it’s forcing me to eat a very healthy breakfast, minimal snacks (which I measure out), moderately healthy lunches, and pretty much whatever I want for dinner.

I’ll probably be banned again in another couple days. Just back today. Latest ban was because I celebrated that I thought the Georgia elections were a great thing for democracy and would be a nice step in repairing the country.  I guess someone with a mod account just didn’t like that view and banned me for that reason. It is to the point where the moderation makes absolutely no sense to me, so not sure I’ll bother to stick around. But in any event, if I blank out again for a couple weeks or months, rest assured I’m staying the path. Thanks Fred for pushing me back into MFP. Feels like the right solution for me. 

Now if you’ll excuse me I have 1100 calories left. I feel a drink tonight may be in order. And a nice snack or three. 

Good day fat gentlemen. 
You'll hit your goal weight on a non-fad diet before you leave here.

I'd love for J to pop by and post the actual text of the post.  typically these things go like this.

FBG complaining about ban..."All I did was celebrate the GA elections and think it demonstrates hope to heal"

Mod stops by and posts the actual post..."If those non-masking wearing rubes in backwoods took the time to put down their confederate flags and voted D there's a chance this country might heal."

Regardless...stay away from there.  We lost Todem and half of the 10k guys when they strayed in there.

Just making good choices daily.  Like where I'm headed

Typical breakfast is coffee with oat milk as creamer and egg beaters with salsa.  Lunch often Boars Head low sodium turkey breast lettuce wraps.  A little light mayo or mustard.  Iced tea and water throughout the day.  Dinner varies.  Tonight we did ground turkey tacos, again lettuce wraps.  Our own seasoning, no salt.  Salsa, avocado, etc.  Last night salmon and salad.  Lots of chicken.  Love poke and will get tuna/spicy tuna/salmon on a salad.  Hardest part is no red wine but like everything else once you break it it's easier.  At night I'll usually have a Health Choice fudge bar.  90 calories.  No alcohol during the week.  Allow myself 2 vodka sodas on Fri/Sat.

Walking the dog alone gets me 10,000 steps a day.  Mix in golf and Peleton on top of that.  I'm going to be religious through the end of Feb and see where I am.  I have cardio check up, stress tests, etc at that time.

You'll hit your goal weight on a non-fad diet before you leave here.

I'd love for J to pop by and post the actual text of the post.  typically these things go like this.

FBG complaining about ban..."All I did was celebrate the GA elections and think it demonstrates hope to heal"

Mod stops by and posts the actual post..."If those non-masking wearing rubes in backwoods took the time to put down their confederate flags and voted D there's a chance this country might heal."

Regardless...stay away from there.  We lost Todem and half of the 10k guys when they strayed in there.
I promise, it was a reasonable level headed post with no forbidden adult words, and not even remotely incendiary. I think one of the mods is just upset. 

I have to be honest I'm letting my guard down a little and believing in @Otisagain. This thing where you're doing weekly calories and buying extra calories for your inevitable Saturday blow-up is creative and seems to address your biggest strengths and weaknesses pretty well... I honestly don't know how healthy it is but you're kind of merging 6:1 intermittent fasting with CICO and a cheat day, so it's not totally uncharted territory.  I am looking forward to the updates, GB. This is the one.

I have to be honest I'm letting my guard down a little and believing in @Otisagain. This thing where you're doing weekly calories and buying extra calories for your inevitable Saturday blow-up is creative and seems to address your biggest strengths and weaknesses pretty well... I honestly don't know how healthy it is but you're kind of merging 6:1 intermittent fasting with CICO and a cheat day, so it's not totally uncharted territory.  I am looking forward to the updates, GB. This is the one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGuzwj4DSs

Users who are viewing this thread