Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

bostonfred

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I have to be honest I'm letting my guard down a little and believing in @Otisagain. This thing where you're doing weekly calories and buying extra calories for your inevitable Saturday blow-up is creative and seems to address your biggest strengths and weaknesses pretty well... I honestly don't know how healthy it is but you're kind of merging 6:1 intermittent fasting with CICO and a cheat day, so it's not totally uncharted territory.  I am looking forward to the updates, GB. This is the one.

Thanks GB.  And I was thinking exactly this earlier this morning.  This is it.  If not now, when?  

I'm not angling for the Saturday blow-out just yet, but I'm setting up for little Saturday cheats now which could allow strategy to address the big Saturday blow-outs later.  The great thing about this is if I can continue on the path, eventually I get to have my literal cake and eat it too -- I don't care about fancy meals during the week, so I don't miss out.  Totally cool doing extra restriction all week.  But I also really enjoy some blowout meals and drinks on the weekend.  If I do this right, get down to a goal wight, and then get into a maintenance mode, I could do this forever.  Which is kind of the point, right? Lifestyle change / a long term solution. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Otis said:

The great thing about this is if I can continue on the path

There is no if GB. You are doing this. Do it. There's no luck involved. You aren't fading a flush draw on the river. You are in control of your life and you are choosing to eat right. 

You're doing this. It will work. Commit to a time frame and do it. 

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 12  262.4   - 12.0 lbs, 1627 cal (227 over goal), lift, 20 min jog

Jan 13  261.8   - 12.6 lbs, 1417 cal (17 over goal), no exercise

Jan 14  261.8    - 12.6 lbs

Frustrating day at work.  It was like every task wanted to fight me.  Didn't eat enough during the day and crashed in the evening.  No energy to workout.  Pigged out with a late dinner.  Hopefully today will be a better day.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 7:08 AM, AAABatteries said:

In no way do I want my post to come across as negative toward Acer and Corporation but I took their posts to mean they have never drank alcohol. Fantastic for their health and probably difficult due to peer pressure but in the context of not drinking it’s the easiest form of it.  Never start.  It’s definitely a good life lesson though, especially for our kids - smoking, alcohol, drugs, rooting for UGA - the best way to overcome it is to never start.

*And maybe I’m wrong on them having never drank but I think those number of days are like 40-50 years.

I did that math too. But partially because it made me do the math for my dad. He's at like 11,500ish +/- but that is as a recovering alcoholic. Will be 32 years for him in a couple months. Wasn't sure for Corporation but I know Acer enough to know it had to be his whole life. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Totally get it - I grew up in a very conservative/religious family where drinking was frowned upon but had an alcoholic Grandfather and Uncle.  They were basically about the only ones I knew of that really drank.  I didn't drink much myself until my 30's.  I've wondered numerous times if I had started drinking in my late teens/early 20's if I would have become someone who was borderline alcoholic.  I've really ramped up my drinking in my 40s but still don't consider it an issue.  I rarely if ever get drunk and never feel like I NEED a drink.  I've had 2 drinks since New Year's weekend.

Not that you or anyone else would be starting that late in life but I definitely wouldn't - you obviously don't miss it and it's not only not healthy but it's expensive. 

I've related mine before - I could totally see a different timeline that I end up with an issue. My dad got sober toward the end of my senior year in high school and it was a pretty timely lesson, if not the most pretty way to get it. I drink but pretty conservatively, relatively speaking, imo. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I did that math too. But partially because it made me do the math for my dad. He's at like 11,500ish +/- but that is as a recovering alcoholic. Will be 32 years for him in a couple months. Wasn't sure for Corporation but I know Acer enough to know it had to be his whole life. 

For the record, my Dad has now been in recovery for 26 years as well.  Sadly my brother had to find a bottom of his own.  Thankful for those who are able to work and escape the cycle.

• Like 4

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9                    1620
  • Jan 7           210.3                -2.8                    1540
  • Jan 8           210.3                -2.8                    1510
  • Jan 9           209.4                -3.7                    1620
  • Jan 10         209.8                -3.3                    1470
  • Jan 11         209.2                -3.9                    1520
  • Jan 12         207.4                -5.7                    1520
  • Jan 13         207.4                -5.7                    1660
  • Jan 14         207.6                -5.5
  • Like 3

I'm going to cross post this in the other thread because it's around the time when we're all likely to backslide. 

It takes a week or two to deplete your glycogen reserves (also known as burning off all of that water weight).  

Once you are down to your steady state, you don't have that bloat anymore. Your belly is probably getting flatter, you probably feel better, you probably notice more when you eat ####ty food and it feels yucky, and you probably find yourself getting hungry and tempted to cheat, because you feel different. 

This is a milestone you will reach each time you start to lose weight. It's where people start to fail and yoyo diet. "I lost ten pounds", they think, even though it was 8 lbs of water weight and 2 lbs of fat. Then they stop dieting for a while, put 10 lbs back on, and start over. 

Really all that's happening is they're losing a couple pounds  and putting it back on, getting discouraged that they always do this, and learning the wrong lesson that they are just bad at weight loss. 

This is not you. 

If you're posting in these threads with us, you've got this. You're talking it out with people going through the same thing and you can see you're not alone in this.  It's normal.  Try to stay on track. 

Poker players may recognize this advice, but for people who haven't heard this, this is good life advice in general:

Some days in life you are on your A game and whatever you do will work. Most days you are on your B game and you're going to be pretty good but not great at whatever you're doing. Some days, like it or not, you're on your C game or worse

Most of us imagine ourselves doing something new and imagine our A game. And when we work on it we try to improve our A game. But that's not the part that needs improvement.

You'll improve a lot more if you work on your B game, because that's where you spend so much time. 

But our B game is usually pretty good too. The problem is almost always our C game. If you want to make your life better, put processes in place that help you when you're on your C game, and help keep you from being there too long, or doing too much damage while you're there. 

If you can learn to recognize your C game, and get back to your A game and B game quickly, you'll see way more improvement than fine tuning the stuff you already do pretty well.

Let's say I have a blow up and eat 2500 calories over my TDEE. Just a huge cheat day where I go over, get disappointed with myself and say oh screw it and house the pizza and wine and cookies. 

I've been working  on a thousand calorie per day deficit to lose 2 lbs per week, and every other day I stayed on target, that means that this week I would have had -1000, -1000, -1000, -1000, -1000, -1000, +2500. For a total of -3500. 

Instead of losing 2 lbs this week, I lose 1. 

If I do that once a month, then instead of losing about 30 lbs in 3 months, I lose about 30 lbs in 4 months. An extra month is a long time to think about a few mistakes. 

You're human. You're going to screw up. Look for ways to limit those screw ups. 

The way I use myfitnesspal self regulates a lot of that. Sometimes I wake up thinking about those meatballs in the fridge and I know I'm in trouble. I know that if I overdo it at lunch, I don't get much for dinner. Sometimes I eat the meatballs and accept the consequences. If i want a real dinner I need to exercise to earn it.

Sometimes I'm lazy today and I just want to exercise. That's not a problem. I just  don't get as many calories for the day.

I can "screw up" without blowing my day.  That's how I'm able to do this for an extended time, but it doesn't have to be your way. Just think about your C game, and how you can control it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Haven't posted this week but I've been making pretty good choices this week. Protein bar for breakfast, usually soup and salad for lunch, and my wife has been making healthy, low-carb dinners all week and I've successfully limited my after-dinner snacking to an Atkins dessert bar or some Quest low-carb chips. Had some popcorn one night but figure that's not awful. 

I have to admit though that work is killing me and controlling my life. I thought this week was going to be "light." Been in the office all week from 7:30 AM until at least 7:30 PM. I'm actually supposed to be in a trial today that got continued last minute yesterday soo I'm hopeful that today will be reasonable. I loved getting into the gym this past weekend and felt noticeably better. But, again, that same gym bag has been sitting in my car all week unused. I honestly forgot about MFP. 

I don't know how to fix the above. I'm killing it financially at work and I take pride in doing my job well, and it's not like I can just drop several clients so I don't know the fix. I have obligations to my wife and kids too. And, frankly, I'm ####### mentally exhausted by 8:30-9:00 at night and usually that's some hang out time with my wife so I don't know where to fit the gym in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zow said:

Haven't posted this week but I've been making pretty good choices this week. Protein bar for breakfast, usually soup and salad for lunch, and my wife has been making healthy, low-carb dinners all week and I've successfully limited my after-dinner snacking to an Atkins dessert bar or some Quest low-carb chips. Had some popcorn one night but figure that's not awful. 

I have to admit though that work is killing me and controlling my life. I thought this week was going to be "light." Been in the office all week from 7:30 AM until at least 7:30 PM. I'm actually supposed to be in a trial today that got continued last minute yesterday soo I'm hopeful that today will be reasonable. I loved getting into the gym this past weekend and felt noticeably better. But, again, that same gym bag has been sitting in my car all week unused. I honestly forgot about MFP. 

I don't know how to fix the above. I'm killing it financially at work and I take pride in doing my job well, and it's not like I can just drop several clients so I don't know the fix. I have obligations to my wife and kids too. And, frankly, I'm ####### mentally exhausted by 8:30-9:00 at night and usually that's some hang out time with my wife so I don't know where to fit the gym in. 

Some ideas

Wake up early two days a week and exercise 

Find some non gym exercise options like going for a walk or doing yoga between meetings.

Do walking meetings or lunches if possible. Either with people who would like to join you for a walk, or for calls you need to listen to but not participate in. 

Try HIIT. A few minutes of intense exercise instead of an hour at the gym. I posted these yesterday https://darebee.com/100-hiit-workouts.html free HIIT workouts. 

Reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

49 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Some ideas

Wake up early two days a week and exercise 

Find some non gym exercise options like going for a walk or doing yoga between meetings.

Do walking meetings or lunches if possible. Either with people who would like to join you for a walk, or for calls you need to listen to but not participate in. 

Try HIIT. A few minutes of intense exercise instead of an hour at the gym. I posted these yesterday https://darebee.com/100-hiit-workouts.html free HIIT workouts. 

Reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

Those HIIT look pretty good for doing in the mornings or at night in the living rooms. I agree that there's no really good reason I can't pick 2-3 days per week to either wake up a little early and do one or force myself to do one at 8:30 at night. 

I wish I could say the walking meetings or lunches was possible but it's not. With Covid and my increased workload I generally do the @Otis approach to lunch and eat quickly at my desk while either reviewing works, watching the news, or looking at FBG. And I don't really have meetings I don't have to participate in or time between meetings to do yoga.

Edited by Zow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zow said:

If you're killing it at work, this should be an easy purchase...

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/tr5000-dt5-treadmill-desk?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Firetoss+|+Branded+Workplace&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7406584699&hsa_cam=1738886561&hsa_grp=76485447509&hsa_ad=376960123580&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-386179973650&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irgyYj0r5MOgGGogfUdTE-Mu0zMiuFJ1dBKpQ2srEBHeQ1N9tK6CGs8aAqAzEALw_wcB

or this...

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/c3-dt5-bike-desk

• Dec 28         235.0
  • Dec 30         231.8
  • Dec 31          231.0
  • Jan 1            231.5
  • Jan 2            231.8
  • Jan 3            233.6
  • Jan 4            234.8
  • Jan 5            235.7
  • Jan 6            235.2
  • Jan  8           232.0
  • Jan  9           230.5
  • Jan 11          232.0
  • Jan 12          232.9
  • Jan 13          232.5
  • Jan 14          228.1

Switched from 16/8 to 18/6 IF plan.  Breaking it with a couple protein bars and then a big ### salad. Black beans, quinoa, and avocado to wrap it up.  Hopefully can maintain on the weekend again, always seems to be my weak spot.  Haven't done much in the way of exercising, usually homeschooling after work then a couple of hours of tv with the wife.

• Like 6

I’m still lurking here and doing the deal.  Decided I’m going to post weekly updates now.....sticking to my daily goals.....continuing to weigh in.  Weight steady for 3 days straight.  Have lost 2 inches off my waist since the start.  When I told Mrs APK that “I lost 2 inches......” she didn’t let me finish the sentence and said “did you really have 2 inches to spare?”  😡😡😡😡

• Like 3
  • Laughing 3

On 1/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

Tuesday 150 Minutes Tennis, 

Wed 90 Minutes Tennis

900 Minutes in 10 Days and I don't always post my weight but this past weekend sent it up more than I had seen in a long time, the drinking doesn't help but this morning after just a couple detox days which is heavy water, low alcohol or none and a lot of veggies/fruits, scale this morning was very close to my comfort zone of about 180/6-3 and I would like to see that number fall further but I am grateful to be where I am. I haven't gotten a lot further than where I am but i would like to make a run at these last 10-15 lbs and it might not be the scale as much as it is trading muscle for flab lets say, I would like to get tighter. 

Cycling helps, i need to clear 50-60 miles a week and I would be much happier. I tend to only make it out a couple times per week if I am lucky. 

Thursday- I was already scheduled for about 2 hours of Tennis, Mrs acted like she wanted to ride the bikes a couple hours before I was scheduled on the court but I called her bluff and got her on the cycle for 30 minutes which is equivalent to almost a 60 minute walk, it's true. I thought it might wear me down a little before Tennis but actually the opposite happened last night and I felt stretched out and a little more limber hitting the Courts.

I won the opening set 6-3 with perhaps our weakest player that I was paired with. The 2nd set went 6-4 and that put me on the winner's Court for final match and we destroyed them 6-2. That's right, I/we won 3 straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 all with different doubles partners. And I am getting better by the minute. I really didn't play Tennis regularly until a couple years ago, I stopped playing when I was 14 years old so it had been a long long time since I was on a tennis court. I wished I could wield a tennis racket like this when I was a kid. 

150 Minutes puts us at 1,050 Minutes in 11 Days-This was never a contest about exercise but I am trying to show you that being active as much as possible and watching as little TV as possible will change your health in so many ways. I ate horrible around the holidays and drank way too much but the exercise has helped me burn it out fast and I am enjoying eating lighter food again. 

I should count calories but I'm lazy and it cause problems with the Mrs when I get hyper about tracking so I try and just up the exercise, it relaxes me and releases a lot of emotions I used to keep inside and the exercise a release of many of my anxieties. And focusing on a little fuzzy yellow ball is a good distraction. 

Cheers!

• Like 4

Starting weight 1/1/21 - 243

Weigh in - 238.5 (down 0.7 this week)

I was hoping for a bigger loss, but I did go off the rails a bit on Wednesday.  I had a work dinner that consisted of wings and beer which led to more wings.  Overall I wasn't too bad and ended up at about 1700 NET calories for the day.  If that only happens once every couple of weeks instead of every couple of days I will be fine!

I behaved yesterday with 1500 calories, 30 minute walk and 30 minute bike.  

• Like 4

First day in the 220s.  229.8    (January 1 weight was 241.2)

Progress.

The next ten pounds have been my white whale.  I frequently get to 224, 223 maybe, I've done that a few times.  It's mid Spring, and the weather is nice, and suddenly I'm outside day drinking and eating tacos every day, and I creep right back up.

This is the time I break through 220.  And if I break under 220, it'll be the first time in 5 years.  Even then I only maintained that for about a month.  So if I can break under 220, this time I keep going and march all the way down to 210, which I haven't seen in probably 20 years.  Then I will reassess, but I expect I'll then want to test 200 (high school weight).  

Here goes.

Edited by Otis
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, Otis said:

First day in the 220s.  229.8

Progress.

The next ten pounds have been my white whale.  I frequently get to 224, 223 maybe, I've done that a few times.  It's mid Spring, and the weather is nice, and suddenly I'm outside day drinking and eating tacos every day, and I creep right back up.

This is the time I break through 220.  And if I break under 220, it'll be the first time in 5 years.  Even then I only maintained that for about a month.  So if I can break under 220, this time I keep going and march all the way down to 210, which I haven't seen in probably 20 years.  Then I will reassess, but I expect I'll then want to test 200 (high school weight).  

Here goes.

220 by 2/20. 5 weeks and a day to lose 10 lbs.  Can be done but means no cheating.  Think you can do it?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, Otis said:

Progress.

Here goes.

Don’t focus on 210 or 200.  Focus on doing what it takes today to be on a path to hit 220. I’ve found that if my goal is too far in the future it seems unattainable.  So I focus on a) an attainable intermediate goal, b) what I need to do today to contribute to hitting that goal.

By doing that, I’ve lost 9+ pounds in 6 weeks, which was really damn close to my goal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1/1: 213.8
1/2: 214.0
1/3: 213.2
1/4: 213.4
1/5: 212.4
1/6: 212.0
1/7: 211.4
1/8: 211.4
1/9: 210.8
1/10: 211.4
1/11: 211.6
1/12: 211.8
1/13: 209.8
1/14: 208.8
1/15: 207.2

Not doing anything crazy the last few days other than being really good at avoiding snacks and drinking a lot of water. Even took my daughter to Wendy's for lunch yesterday. Had a junior bacon cheeseburger and some chili, which is actually only about 700 calories +/-. Other than that, just sticking to a cliff bar and banana for breakfast, very deliberate lunch and then not overeating at dinner. Also running about 5 miles a day 4 days a week and then a longer run on Saturday. I'm back to about where I was this time last month before I decided to eat all the cookies I could find. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Don’t focus on 210 or 200.  Focus on doing what it takes today to be on a path to hit 220. I’ve found that if my goal is too far in the future it seems unattainable.  So I focus on a) an attainable intermediate goal, b) what I need to do today to contribute to hitting that goal.

By doing that, I’ve lost 9+ pounds in 6 weeks, which was really damn close to my goal.

It has to kind of be a 'lifestyle change', IMO. That said, those numbers are a motivator for me. You can't have them be so far a way that they seem unattainable. I try to remind myself that the number is somewhat meaningless in the grand scheme of things but seeing them get closer and closer helps keep me from sliding. I broke 200 lbs when my wife was pregnant the first time around. I gained more than she did during the pregnancy and then I never lost any of it. I did the same thing when we had a second one. After that I yo-yo'd back and forth between about 220 and 245 for many, many years. I once got down to about 205 briefly before falling off the wagon. 

July of 2018 I got a nice scale at home and decided it was time for a change. I was 235 at that point. About April/May of 2019 I got under 200 for the first time in about 21 years. I vowed to never break it again and I stuck with the plan until Covid. Actually still was pretty good until about August. About then I started a steady trend up that culminated with a very glutinous holiday season. 

Really looking forward to getting back under 200 again. Something about that number, even though it is a somewhat random number, is really a motivator. 

• Like 3

Down about 9 lbs.  I'm around 207.  I'm in no rush here but it's nice to lose the first 10 quickly even if it's mostly water weight.  I'm still not even working out.  My plan is to be very gradual with increasing the working out but stay the course with my eating plan.  I've had an issue with my right knee for a while.  It's worse the heavier I am so as I drop it usually feels better and allows me to get back to jogging/running.  Goal is to drop enough where I'll be ready to run more once the weather warms back up.

• Like 2

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 14  261.8    - 12.6 lbs, 1686 cal (286 over goal), lift, 20 min cycle

Jan 15  260.6    - 13.8 lbs

I've been saving my cals for a late dinner this week.  I suspect I over estimated calories yesterday.  Broke a a package of venison cube steak yesterday.  My go to recipe is to mix cream cheese and jalapeño bits.  I spread this inside the cube steak, fold it over, and wrapped with a piece of bacon.  Dash with BBQ sauce while on the grill.  I've been estimating a pack of steaks at one pound, but that may be heavy.  I suspect that at least 50% of the cream cheese sizzles and oozes out while on the grill.  Probably a good bit of spillage on the BBQ sauce too.  Just so hard to nail down the calories on a prepped meal like that.  On the plus side I only ate half of what I prepared and was full, the rest will be a high cal lunch today.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

18 days no alcohol, no going over calories.79 days until Easter.

Dude, you are a freaking machine right now.  Keep it up.  I'm going to need to take notes and tighten things up when the going gets tougher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also said this in the running thread but I don't think in here - I set a goal to do 2500 push ups and sit ups during the month. I'm a little behind schedule but have made it into a habit to do a decent number of each every day. I'm tracking those daily but then also doing some planking, air squats, and some other relatively light lifting, stretching, movements all designed to try to improve my core strength. With extra weight and lesser activity until recently, my back had started giving me trouble again. It's getting much, much better and I'm feeling huge gains in overall strength so far. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Dude, you are a freaking machine right now.  Keep it up.  I'm going to need to take notes and tighten things up when the going gets tougher.

Thanks man. I'm taking notes too.  I'm doing my best to document my approach but I'm learning so much. 

Like your approach is so different from mine but I totally see how it rewards you for hitting your goal as quickly as possible in the month, then gives you a chance to reset.  Building motivation into a process is huge. Building in a reset to get your metabolism fired up seems to have some evidentiary support too. I'm coming around. 

I was not impressed by the weight watchers and itrackbites stuff when I first heard about it, but now that I'm focusing more on macros and fiber and sodium and actual nutrition vs just weight loss... it makes a lot more sense as a wellness program vs just a weight loss approach. And i see how some people gravitate to calorie tracking and others are just totally turned off by how hard it sounds... so a single number that handles all the stuff I'm keeping track of makes sense. I like what I'm doing but I get it. 

The single best predictor of success so far seems to be posting in these threads frequently (or having some other kind of accountability). That might be survivorship bias (because people post less once they stop) but I think the group we have here has been a huge help for me and for a lot of us and I know you inspired a lot of that. So let's take notes from each other.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Thanks man. I'm taking notes too.  I'm doing my best to document my approach but I'm learning so much. 

Like your approach is so different from mine but I totally see how it rewards you for hitting your goal as quickly as possible in the month, then gives you a chance to reset.  Building motivation into a process is huge. Building in a reset to get your metabolism fired up seems to have some evidentiary support too. I'm coming around. 

I was not impressed by the weight watchers and itrackbites stuff when I first heard about it, but now that I'm focusing more on macros and fiber and sodium and actual nutrition vs just weight loss... it makes a lot more sense as a wellness program vs just a weight loss approach. And i see how some people gravitate to calorie tracking and others are just totally turned off by how hard it sounds... so a single number that handles all the stuff I'm keeping track of makes sense. I like what I'm doing but I get it. 

The single best predictor of success so far seems to be posting in these threads frequently (or having some other kind of accountability). That might be survivorship bias (because people post less once they stop) but I think the group we have here has been a huge help for me and for a lot of us and I know you inspired a lot of that. So let's take notes from each other.

To me WW and the like provide two things - convenience and accountability.  If you can find another mechanism to accomplish those goals (like this thread and free apps) I think you can do just as well.  I was almost just like you 3 years ago and then last weight loss challenge.  Then fell off the wagon.  Maybe we do a combination of Forrest Mail and the FBG buddy system and have a group text of PM/email we get weekly - FRED'S REMINDER TO YOU TO NOT BE A FATASS.

• Like 2

Nov 30: 234.4

------

Jan 1: 224.0

Jan 4: 221.6

Jan 8: 219.8

Jan 11: 219.0

Jan 15: 218.2

Slowing down weekly weight loss, which I am fine with. I think I am getting closer to the 2lbs per week, which is sustainable. Happy that I am not yoyo'ing too much. I've stayed daily under 220, which is a win.

• Like 3

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Jan 14         207.6                -5.5                    1370
  • Jan 15         207.0                -6.1

I think I'm going to start breaking my posts up by week, and then every day in the current week to curtail the length.  It's been 50 days since the day after Thanksgiving and I'm down 19.1 in total so about 2.7 per week over 7 weeks.  A little more than the 2 per week recommended but I feel good so will keep on the path.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Otis said:

Progress.

Here goes.

I remember dipping under 230, anyone that follows the other thread knows you have had a lot going on in your life, father of 3 children, these aren't teenagers in their final year or two, you have at least one that might not be in kindergarten quite yet and then you have a wonderful wife who is home and you are trying to manage your career up in the attic sorta speak, it's been a pretty rough year I think by Otis standards...by MoP standards as well. 

I'm happy for you Otis, you can definitely achieve your goal of 200. Make sure you set aside time every day just for you and your mental/physical health, it's in everyone's best interest in your house to honor that time and allow you to "get right" or "get balanced"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Corporation said:
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Jan 14         207.6                -5.5                    1370
  • Jan 15         207.0                -6.1

I think I'm going to start breaking my posts up by week, and then every day in the current week to curtail the length.  It's been 50 days since the day after Thanksgiving and I'm down 19.1 in total so about 2.7 per week over 7 weeks.  A little more than the 2 per week recommended but I feel good so will keep on the path.

Incredible display of what the journey is like. I would not recommend folks weighing in every day but I did it myself for a while as well until I felt like i didn't need to weigh in to know where I was at. 

Outstanding discipline to stay in the calorie zone you are in right now. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Otis said:

Progress.

Here goes.

Fantastic progress!  Keep it up.  It's a slow and steady march so don't let any unexpected hikes get you down.  Keep doing what you are doing, don't dwell on any slip up days, and keep heading forward!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Down about 9 lbs.  I'm around 207.  I'm in no rush here but it's nice to lose the first 10 quickly even if it's mostly water weight.  I'm still not even working out.  My plan is to be very gradual with increasing the working out but stay the course with my eating plan.  I've had an issue with my right knee for a while.  It's worse the heavier I am so as I drop it usually feels better and allows me to get back to jogging/running.  Goal is to drop enough where I'll be ready to run more once the weather warms back up.

Same boat here.  Weight gain can be a vicious cycle.  The more weight you have, the greater the impacts on your joints as you try working out, so then you stop and end up putting on more weight.  I've mentioned that I've switched to cycling which greatly reduces the impact.  MoP has had tremendous success with Tennis, Trampolines, and biking.  Otis and Fred are the rowers.  I think largely any of these will work if you keep nutrition close to right and stay consistent in the activity of your choice.  Keep it up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 14  261.8    - 12.6 lbs, 1686 cal (286 over goal), lift, 20 min cycle

Jan 15  260.6    - 13.8 lbs

My .02 while you are losing a lot of weight, cycle cycle cycle, less joint pain while you are putting the most stress at the highest weight on them...but do whatever makes you happy.

I would walk vs jog but others might feel totally different. 

1 Minute Cycle=2 Minutes of walking so a 60 minute cycle is like walking almost 2 hours. 

It's also the middle of January and freezing in a lot of places so there's that to deal with. 

You're doing great BnB, and I gather from your posts you know what you're doing, just giving my feedback or opinion, friend. 

4 hours ago, The Iguana said:

1/1: 213.8
1/2: 214.0
1/3: 213.2
1/4: 213.4
1/5: 212.4
1/6: 212.0
1/7: 211.4
1/8: 211.4
1/9: 210.8
1/10: 211.4
1/11: 211.6
1/12: 211.8
1/13: 209.8
1/14: 208.8
1/15: 207.2

Not doing anything crazy 

Well don't look now but you are on pace to not do anything crazy like break the 200 mark towards the end of this month or start of the next month.Nothing crazy, just losing 10-15 lbs or almost an entire pants size, awesome!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, Zow said:

I wish I could say the walking meetings or lunches was possible but it's not. With Covid and my increased workload I generally do the @Otis approach to lunch and eat quickly at my desk while either reviewing works, watching the news, or looking at FBG. And I don't really have meetings I don't have to participate in or time between meetings to do yoga.

:toilet:

This was an area I have started to seriously distance myself from. I'll expand it to the entire TV/Hollywood/Movies...i bet I didn't watch a single 2020 Movie release, didn't even know there were any, can't imagine they will even have an Oscar show this year but I bet they try and push their way thru even though movie theaters are closed in many places, especially in the 2 cities that used to be where movies would premiere and then roll out nationwide. 

Pure garbage, most of the TV, yes I watch NFL games however I don't watch 1 single minute of pregame/halftime/commercials etc...I'm not saying I don't have any political leanings any more, that's not true but I refuse to allow myself to be put on an emotional roller coaster by a few news heads or loudmouths that want to whip up ratings. 

I've said enough, maybe too much but you get an idea where I stand on this and I know it's likely just 5-10 minutes, not enough to go do a power walk but I would shut it off. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

• Dec 28         235.0
  • Jan 4            234.8
  • Jan 11          232.0
  • Jan 12          232.9
  • Jan 13          232.5
  • Jan 14          228.1
  • Jan 15          226.5

Thought I was going to struggle today with the IF as I was already feeling hungry when I went to bed last night.  I think the black coffee in the morning helps suppress my appetite throughout the day and chewing gum seems to help as well.  The last couple hours are always tough but once you see the finish line you can power through it.  Finally did some light bench working out with the son in the cellar.  IDK if the shoulder will hold up.  Turn 50 in March FWIW.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bostonfred said:

18 days no alcohol, no going over calories.79 days until Easter.

19 days no alcohol, no going over calories. 78 days until Easter. 

131g protein, 139 carbs, 26 fiber 22 fat with some veggies mixed in but did not get much formal exercise except for pushups and a bunch of running around doing stuff.

• Like 4

I just can’t count calories 

Breakfast egg beaters with salsa. Lunch turkey lettuce wraps. Dinner 1 vodka soda and poke salad (spicy tuna). Healthy choice fudge bar. 

That had to be good. One day at a time. Pushing through a mini plateau. Need a couple heavy sweats on the Peleton this weekend. Busting through 200

• Like 3

Breakfast yesterday was my typical Oats with blueberries.  I treated myself to a quarter cup of Trader Joe’s Maple, Almond clusters cereal.   By dinner, I had 1300 mg of sodium to spare.  We had some leftover homemade enchilada sauce that I made earlier in the week (580 mg sodium per half cup).  Plan was to use a quarter cup for my enchilada but I ended up using closer to an eighth of a cup.  Ended up well under my goal.  I’ve kind of stopped tracking calories since I’ve learned that if sodium is in check, calories will automatically follow.

• Like 3

• Dec 28         235.0
  • Jan 4            234.8
  • Jan 11          232.0
  • Jan 12          232.9
  • Jan 13          232.5
  • Jan 14          228.1
  • Jan 15          226.5
  • Jan 16          226.1

Best week for me yet.  Hopefully hold on thru the weekend which has been my weakness.

• Like 5

• bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?