Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

bostonfred

10 hours ago, Otis said:

Today I had Burger King, chocolate, and wine. 

Still under my calorie budget. “Off the rails” ain’t so bad. 

Awesome. 

If you eat garbage on your diet, you are eating worse than the people who will inevitably give you #### about it, but feel free to remind them that you were eating the same garbage before, just more of it.  So this is an improvement. 

Are there more improvements you can make? Sure. And hopefully you will. But right now you're busy losing weight and doing another really good thing - you are reinforcing the behavior of logging your calories every day with two powerful rewards. The foods themselves are obviously a reward to you - look at how happy you are about eating BK chocolate and wine. But that's also the sneaky second reward: the good feeling of being successful, while eating that stuff.  It's like you're gaming the system.  Screw the potato hack, I found the bk and wine hack. That seems to be important in Oworld.  So lean into it. Rewarding habits helps you to build permanent habits. I love it.

Would it be healthier if you were having kale and flax smoothies with acai infused avocado oil or some other bull####? Probably.  And you should think about long term.  But two things to consider.. 

1) If you always eat junk, then you'll feel like ####. That doesn't really worry me because you have gotten used to feeling like #### from drinking booze and eating McDonald's and Mexican and stuff. So as you get more fiber, you'll improve your heart and digestive health. More antioxidants, more vitamins, less saturated fats and sodium... all would make you healthier and feel better. You know what else will make you feel better? Weighing in at under 220 next month. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

2) Weight loss comes from your fat and muscle, no matter what you eat.  Eating more protein can help to change the ratio towards fat, and eating more junk can change the ratio towards muscle. If you're rowing some, and eating some protein, even if it's not boneless skinless chicken breast at every meal, you might have less muscle loss. It's worth pointing out that now that you're over 40 you're losing muscle every day even when you're not dieting. That’s why guys like culdeus will talk about full body resistance training and getting some more protein in your diet even when you're at your goal weight. But for now - you're rowing, which is nearly full body. Keep it up, eat your protein, and keep looking for ways to improve. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. But in my layman's opinion, it sure looks like you're over two weeks into this and going strong and that is a great start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:33 AM, Zow said:

Haven't posted this week but I've been making pretty good choices this week. Protein bar for breakfast, usually soup and salad for lunch, and my wife has been making healthy, low-carb dinners all week and I've successfully limited my after-dinner snacking to an Atkins dessert bar or some Quest low-carb chips. Had some popcorn one night but figure that's not awful. 

I have to admit though that work is killing me and controlling my life. I thought this week was going to be "light." Been in the office all week from 7:30 AM until at least 7:30 PM. I'm actually supposed to be in a trial today that got continued last minute yesterday soo I'm hopeful that today will be reasonable. I loved getting into the gym this past weekend and felt noticeably better. But, again, that same gym bag has been sitting in my car all week unused. I honestly forgot about MFP. 

I don't know how to fix the above. I'm killing it financially at work and I take pride in doing my job well, and it's not like I can just drop several clients so I don't know the fix. I have obligations to my wife and kids too. And, frankly, I'm ####### mentally exhausted by 8:30-9:00 at night and usually that's some hang out time with my wife so I don't know where to fit the gym in. 

Priorities. To sustain success you must make time for your wellness and to do so you must sacrifice one or more of your current habits. You could temporarily get by without it, but eventually your surge capacity will be depleted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

I just can’t count calories 

Breakfast egg beaters with salsa. Lunch turkey lettuce wraps. Dinner 1 vodka soda and poke salad (spicy tuna). Healthy choice fudge bar. 

That had to be good. One day at a time. Pushing through a mini plateau. Need a couple heavy sweats on the Peleton this weekend. Busting through 200

Counting isn't for everyone.  It seems like this is borderline keto if that is the goal.  Perhaps lowish in fiber but hard to say.  Should be well under any tdee that's imaginable 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 8:06 AM, FBG26 said:

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day:

Jan 3: 220.0

Jan 9: 218.0

Jan 16: 216.2. 

1 month to Valentine's day. 210 is definitely doable. 

I'm approaching my wedding weight. Not exactly sure what I was when I got married, but around 215. I was nearly 240 roughly summer of 2019. I got down to low 220s by Thanksgiving 2019, but then got back up to 229 on Thanksgiving 2020. So I'm a little nervous that could go back up again, but hitting 215 will be a real psychological boost that I can do this and keep going. I had hoped to hit my approximate wedding weight of 215 this week, but I remind myself this is a marathon and it's better for me personally to plod along slowly rather than sprint here and there (which wouldn't be sustainable). 

• Like 3

Saturday rewards day and my kid picked buffalo wild wings... for a cheeseburger... ok... i just housed 1175 calories of chicken and fries and have no ragrets.  It's been a while since I've had anything like this. Did some yoga, will do some running/rowing later, and will eat something healthier for dinner, but this was awesome. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Otis said:

Today I had Burger King, chocolate, and wine. 

Still under my calorie budget. “Off the rails” ain’t so bad. 

No fast food, there I said it. It triggers you to want it more or again in the next few days. 

It's like a lot of things though, once you 86 it you will not crave it as much. 

I haven't had McDs, BK, Wendys or Chik Fil A in like 8-9 months maybe. I don't care what the calories are, that stuff is horrific and IMO it robs you of brain power during the day. 

Truth be told I was feeling weak one day when I had to drive about 50 miles one way for a client and I didn't think I was going to make it.  I managed to find something a little better but I was craving a gut bomb and fries, no doubt about it.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

No fast food, there I said it. It triggers you to want it more or again in the next few days. 

It's like a lot of things though, once you 86 it you will not crave it as much. 

I haven't had McDs, BK, Wendys or Chik Fil A in like 8-9 months maybe. I don't care what the calories are, that stuff is horrific and IMO it robs you of brain power during the day. 

Truth be told I was feeling weak one day when I had to drive about 50 miles one way for a client and I didn't think I was going to make it.  I managed to find something a little better but I was craving a gut bomb and fries, no doubt about it.  

I agree that it's a bad idea early in any lifestyle change, but once in maintenance? I don't get this urge at all. I usually don't feel well after a splurge, I know it's a bad idea in advance, and as a result don't get that urge again anytime soon. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Saturday rewards day and my kid picked buffalo wild wings... for a cheeseburger... ok... i just housed 1175 calories of chicken and fries and have no ragrets.  It's been a while since I've had anything like this. Did some yoga, will do some running/rowing later, and will eat something healthier for dinner, but this was awesome. 

We did similar. We were planning to order from our favorite Mexican place for dinner snd I wanted a beer with it. So I had coffee for breakfast, and then some steamed broccoli with almonds for lunch. I then did a hike in the mountains with the family for a few hundred exercise calories. Came back and housed some delicious ground beef tacos, rice and beans, chips with guacamole and salsa, snd a beer. Logged all of it as I went as best I can (it’s hard to know for stuff that doesn’t have labels or bar codes), and came in just under the daily target. 

I look forward to scanning barcodes again during the weekdays, but for a weekend at our place in the mountains, still not really drinking much, and staying on target. All good. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I agree that it's a bad idea early in any lifestyle change, but once in maintenance? I don't get this urge at all. I usually don't feel well after a splurge, I know it's a bad idea in advance, and as a result don't get that urge again anytime soon. 

I agree whole heartedly which is why i didn't eat it, my blood sugar got low and I wanted to just jam in some quick food and keep going like Millions of Americans but I thought about how awful i would feel almost instantly but certainly later in the day and I stopped. 

7 hours ago, bostonfred said:

After you get the weight going down you can definitely learn how to cheat and we all overeat when we know we can go exercise it off.

You posted earlier in 2020 about how you accept that you are going to have a couple bad days and then go really clean or amp up the exercise for a few days...something like 5/2 or maybe 4/3 in terms of days on days off...I found that like before if I let it go or went too many days in a row of unhealthy eating that it just gets harder and harder to bounce back. 

Eating something like a couple slices of pizza for lunch is not terrible but it would be wise to balance that with something more in the fruits and veggies world for dinner. One so so meal and then a healthy meal or something close to ZERO points according to weight watchers can help on those days you crave burger/fries. 

I'm out of tequila in the house btw and I am going to not make a Total Wine run for a while.  Can of beer, glass of wine without overdoing it is fine but the hard liquor for me just doesn't allow for me to be at my best on the Courts, Cycling, and also I operate so much better in my personal life when I am eating and exercising and being in the moment with my wife and my son. Those are the two best reasons for me to stay on point and stay focused. 

I think it's awesome you lead people in finding their true self, that's what i believe we are doing thru these health threads. The journey impacts a lot more than your body and physical appearance, it has a major impact on mental health and personal inner strength to conquer the things that are holding us all back.   

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Eating something like a couple slices of pizza for lunch is not terrible but it would be wise to balance that with something more in the fruits and veggies world for dinner. One so so meal and then a healthy meal or something close to ZERO points according to weight watchers can help on those days you crave burger/fries. 

Yeah I'm a big believer in having bad foods sometimes especially as you get started with calorie counting. That's different from what you or @MAC_32are saying but I am focusing on building the skills and the good habits. When you're used to eating pizza and someone tells you that dieting means no pizza, the answer a lot of people come up with is no dieting. Eating pizza and staying under calories is clearly better than eating pizza and going over calories but people always focus on cutting out all the good stuff. Perfect is the enemy of good.  

If you get used to eating under your calorie goal you will look for lower calorie foods. You don't have to make all the changes at once. Cutting down on sugar, adding fruits and vegetables, increasing exercise, all kinds of good things that help you meet your calorie goal once you start getting the weight under control but no matter how you approach it, losing 20, 30, 40 plus pounds or more will take months. Improving your food quality can start at any time and can be part of a lifetime of change after the weight is lost. It's just one man's opinion but I think getting the weight loss train on track is the first task and the other stuff follows. 

That said, I'm not in that first phase anymore and I'm paying attention to food quality a lot more. And that BWW was delicious but not something I want every day. If you told me I can't eat it ever again I'd be pissed and want it right now.  But it's enough for me to know that i could have it if I wanted it. And when I take my kid for his rewards I don't always indulge, but if I do I don't let it throw me off. 

Like today- I did an hour of "weight loss" yoga (vinyasa flow with lots of core) and an hour on the treadmill plus some resistance training. Total calories 2155, but with over 800 calories of exercise i ended up with 195 to spare. 

Dinner was a big bowl of broccoli carrots and cauliflower with shrimp. Dessert was a little oatmeal with fresh raspberries. Total protein 130g total fiber 38g. Sodium was way high, but otherwise my macros were on point even with the cheat meal and I kept my calories well under my goal.

This process works for me. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Otis said:

We did similar. We were planning to order from our favorite Mexican place for dinner snd I wanted a beer with it. So I had coffee for breakfast, and then some steamed broccoli with almonds for lunch. I then did a hike in the mountains with the family for a few hundred exercise calories. Came back and housed some delicious ground beef tacos, rice and beans, chips with guacamole and salsa, snd a beer. Logged all of it as I went as best I can (it’s hard to know for stuff that doesn’t have labels or bar codes), and came in just under the daily target. 

I look forward to scanning barcodes again during the weekdays, but for a weekend at our place in the mountains, still not really drinking much, and staying on target. All good. 

Dude this is awesome.  I love that you're finding a way to stay on track even with your Mexican place. That's one of the things that always derailed you, and instead of derailing you you're just building your plan around it. That's so much more sustainable. 

There's no doubt in my mind that that meal was way over 1000 calories. But you exercised and barely ate the rest of the day. I don't know the details but just reading it it looks about right. 

220 by 2/20. Let's do this.

• Like 1

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 16         205.4                -20.7 

Moved to the weekly recap plus individual days of the current week format.  The 1983 calorie week was NYE when I had over 4000 calories.  Today's weight loss I believe is a little inflated as I slept in and weighed an hour later than normal, but good to pass the 20 pound loss threshold.  Went to my nephew's birthday today and had no cake, ice cream, or snacks - and didn't miss any of it.

Edited by Corporation
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Corporation said:
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 16         205.4                -20.7 

Moved to the weekly recap plus individual days of the current week format.  The 1983 calorie week was NYE when I had over 4000 calories.  Today's weight loss I believe is a little inflated as I slept in and weighed an hour later than normal, but good to pass the 20 pound loss threshold.  Went to my nephew's birthday today and had no cake, ice cream, or snacks - and didn't miss any of it.

Great job!!!  Super consistent execution of your plan.

Also a good reminder (for me at least) that caloric intake correlates strongly to weight loss.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Dude this is awesome.  I love that you're finding a way to stay on track even with your Mexican place. That's one of the things that always derailed you, and instead of derailing you you're just building your plan around it. That's so much more sustainable. 

There's no doubt in my mind that that meal was way over 1000 calories. But you exercised and barely ate the rest of the day. I don't know the details but just reading it it looks about right. 

220 by 2/20. Let's do this.

Thanks GB. Yes, I had something like 1700 calories remaining at dinnertime since I basically fasted and exercised. Dinner came in at 1527. 

It also wasn’t terrible food. Fresh ground beef, yes some tortillas, but also tomatoes, pepper, avocado, beans, rice. All pretty good, healthy food in the grand scheme. And the one beer was glorious. I wanted more later, but didn’t have the calories remaining. Oh well. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2

home from work and stepped on the scale: 231.

Had some setbacks earlier this week and didn't start the juice cleanse until Wednesday, but still managed to eat vegan. Feeling good.

• Like 2

1/4/21 -- 251.4    First goal is 240

Stay at home full time taking care of my elderly father, so need to stop wandering into kitchen for a snack and continue to use the rowing machine.

1/7/21 -- 248.6   Not snacking, need to row more

1/12/21 -- 247.6   Turn 55 on 1/30 so will see if we can get to 240 by then

1/17/21 -- 246     Played soccer yesterday and today.  Not snacking and no buying ice cream or cookies.  Rowing is so boring, but now it is front of TV so can row while watching.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2021 at 9:41 AM, FBG26 said:
On 1/9/2021 at 8:06 AM, FBG26 said:

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day:

Jan 3: 220.0

Jan 9: 218.0

Jan 16: 216.2. 

1 month to Valentine's day. 210 is definitely doable. 

Unofficial weigh-in after running and going to the bathroom: 213.6. Yes! So clearly my actual weigh-in tomorrow morning will be higher (215.x, 216.x) but I needed to see sub 215 just to know it's reachable. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Jan 16         205.4                -20.7                                          1480
  • Jan 17         206.1                -20.0

This was probably more of a realistic weigh in after I slept in and weighed an hour later on Saturday.  Didn't think it be a .7 bump but still at the 20 pound weight loss mark.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I counted Combos into a solo cup for my NFL snack.  I had 2 servings. That’s 18 Combos for those counting from home. It seemed like a sad little cup of them, but then it ended up being just about right with a beer. 

Ate great today. Still 200 calories below limit. May squeeze in another beer or wine. Maybe won’t. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 3

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

Jan 8           151.0                -1.9                    1700

Jan 9           150.5                -2.4                    1750

Jan 10-16     unchanged (+/- 0.5 lbs)             1675 (full-week average)

I'm going to just post weekly averages going forward, but I'm still tracking calories and weight every day.  It's interesting (to me) to see the fluctuations, and it helps keep me accountable.    As I shift into maintenance mode + strength building, I'm changing my eating habits and trying to find the right balance of caloric intake and type of food I'm eating.   It's actually forcing me to eat healthier now.....which sucks....compared to weight loss mode where for me it was more about volume of calories rather that quality of calories.   I just really like donuts, cookies, and ice cream.  Dammit.

My original goal was to lose 6 lbs by January 31st.   While that would still be a nice goal to achieve, after reading everything in here the past few weeks, a more intelligent goal is to stay close to my current weight via a combination of muscle build + fat loss.   Have incorporated the 100 pushup plan, some of BF's high intensity workouts, and 3x per week yoga with Mrs APK (which is really annoying - I hate yoga so far).

Good to see so many people in here going strong each day.

• Like 3

Did a little over an hour of yoga, lots of core, kettlebells and curls and ran a few miles at 7+mph. Lots of clean protein and a ton of fruits and vegetables- banana raspberries strawberries blueberries salad with tomatoes and pepper, and a bunch of avocado. Sore but feel great.  

21 days no alcohol, no going over calories. 76 days until Easter

• Like 3

Lot going on in here, but i have switched to a 16:8 fast for about 2 weeks, and have lost around 8 pounds. Not a ton of physical exercise beside walking my dogs 5 times a week, and get to rowing about 3 times a week. trying to increase some but hard finding time. 

Just switched my current fast to an 18:6 fast to see how it goes. like eating with the family, so will probably have a nice lunch and try to have a normal size dinner. Haven't done any restrictions with what i am intaking, but funny enough with this fast working well for me i have gone away from snacking, which is usually with unhealthy food. I have broken my fast a few times, and try to limit it to celery with a little bit of peanut butter. 

You guys in here have tons of info on this stuff is great, so any recommendations are always welcome. i am sure the losing weight will level out at some point, but after trying a few different diets over the years this is the first time i feel like i am not technically doing a diet but rather a life style change. Crazy how the fasting has become a normal thing, and has not really been as much of a big deal as i thought it would be. 

So if i were to tally, i would say 2 weeks and lost 6-8 pounds.

So quick questions

1) I think this is real weight, not just water weight since i have lost it over a few weigh-ins. But how long should i anticipate to see effects if i keep to the above regime?

2) I just switched my fast from a 16:8 to an 18:6 fast. Will i see better results (lose weight, better overall health, energy improvement, sustainability) if i increase fasting times? am i better off fasting for a few days every other week or so, or going with an almost daily regime of 16:8 or 18:6?

3) and i hope to increase the caloric burn actiivities a bit, but any other suggestions of what i could do that could be seemingly simple change that i could just add to this? i do a good job of avoiding most sugar drinks, and have reduced a lot of the grazing/snacking food. go with some heavy carb meals from time to time with a pasta dinner, etc., but only 1-2 a week. 

• Like 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/index

@modoggnot sure I can answer your questions but this is a good resource - it's the wiki for the IF subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting where you can ask questions if you don't get answers here. 

Reminder to consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

• Love 1

Just now, bostonfred said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/index

@modoggnot sure I can answer your questions but this is a good resource - it's the wiki for the IF subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting where you can ask questions if you don't get answers here. 

Reminder to consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

my neighbor is a physical therapist working on becoming a nutritionist, so i talk to her a bit about it. with what i am doing now i think it is minor adjustment to daily living so haven't reached out to my doctor yet. should set something up with her soon, but past few physicals have been close to "ok overall health, but could lose a few pounds to make it better". so i figure before i check in i should stick to losing some good pounds and keeping them off and then can see what they say

• Like 1

Bought a bag of frozen salmon steaks today.  Plan on making that a fixture for my weekday lunches (very low sodium).  Just going to season them with a touch of chili powder, paprika and black pepper and then eat with a couple teaspoons of the best ever hot sauce from @Hot Sauce Guy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Bought a bag of frozen salmon steaks today.  Plan on making that a fixture for my weekday lunches (very low sodium).  Just going to season them with a touch of chili powder, paprika and black pepper and then eat with a couple teaspoons of the best ever hot sauce from @Hot Sauce Guy

Check the sodium in those hot sauces - i don't know about HSGs but some can be very high. If his aren't... that's a big selling point. 

I had another day of fairly high sodium yesterday, woke up feeling thirsty and my weight was up, and now I'm starting to believe. Thank you for sharing that you're tracking it because I'm realizing I probably need to too. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:12 AM, Ministry of Pain said:

Thursday- I was already scheduled for about 2 hours of Tennis, Mrs acted like she wanted to ride the bikes a couple hours before I was scheduled on the court but I called her bluff and got her on the cycle for 30 minutes which is equivalent to almost a 60 minute walk, it's true. I thought it might wear me down a little before Tennis but actually the opposite happened last night and I felt stretched out and a little more limber hitting the Courts.

I won the opening set 6-3 with perhaps our weakest player that I was paired with. The 2nd set went 6-4 and that put me on the winner's Court for final match and we destroyed them 6-2. That's right, I/we won 3 straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 all with different doubles partners. And I am getting better by the minute. I really didn't play Tennis regularly until a couple years ago, I stopped playing when I was 14 years old so it had been a long long time since I was on a tennis court. I wished I could wield a tennis racket like this when I was a kid. 

150 Minutes puts us at 1,050 Minutes in 11 Days-This was never a contest about exercise but I am trying to show you that being active as much as possible and watching as little TV as possible will change your health in so many ways. I ate horrible around the holidays and drank way too much but the exercise has helped me burn it out fast and I am enjoying eating lighter food again. 

I should count calories but I'm lazy and it cause problems with the Mrs when I get hyper about tracking so I try and just up the exercise, it relaxes me and releases a lot of emotions I used to keep inside and the exercise a release of many of my anxieties. And focusing on a little fuzzy yellow ball is a good distraction. 

Cheers!

Friday 90 Minutes

Saturday 120+Minutes 

Sunday OFF, 1st day in a little while where I just vegged out. Didn't drink much though, maybe a beer or two during the Bucs game but no major alcohol right now. 

Monday-Tonight will be 90 minutes on the Courts. I'm taking Tuesday off to celebrate my wife's birthday, maybe I can twist her arm into a bike ride early in the morning. 

This will add up to 1350 Minutes in 15 Days or half a month and I am keeping my weight steady even though i haven't been eating great. I had an entire pizza last night watching both games but again I didn't really drink a lot of alcohol, I wanted some food. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Check the sodium in those hot sauces - i don't know about HSGs but some can be very high. If his aren't... that's a big selling point. 

I had another day of fairly high sodium yesterday, woke up feeling thirsty and my weight was up, and now I'm starting to believe. Thank you for sharing that you're tracking it because I'm realizing I probably need to too. 

Yesterday was a test case for me.  I ate about 1600 calories, but a bunch of that was my local pizza place (lots of salt).  Also exercised a ton, 8-mile run plus other stuff and basically ended the day at net +400 calories total.  That wasn’t my goal - it just happened that way.

Anyway, salty pizza usually leads to me gaining a bunch of water weight.  But woke up this morning down 0.5 lbs from yesterday.

No idea what that means.  Net +400 isn’t a smart idea; not sustainable; not healthy.   But it was interesting to see how the salt vs caloric intake vs net calories interacted.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

His hot sauce is 45 mg per teaspoon (sriracha is 75 mg).  Compare to Franks which is 190.  His hot sauce is a lot tastier than Franks so I’m set.  I generally only use Sriracha when we make Thai or Asian food (sometimes with my eggs).

Glad you’re tracking sodium.  I also had a bad day yesterday but mainly because we got takeout (but I told my wife that leftovers are on her).  Back on track today.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Yesterday was a test case for me.  I ate about 1600 calories, but a bunch of that was my local pizza place (lots of salt).  Also exercised a ton, 8-mile run plus other stuff and basically ended the day at net +400 calories total.  That wasn’t my goal - it just happened that way.

Anyway, salty pizza usually leads to me gaining a bunch of water weight.  But woke up this morning down 0.5 lbs from yesterday.

No idea what that means.  Net +400 isn’t a smart idea; not sustainable; not healthy.   But it was interesting to see how the salt vs caloric intake vs net calories interacted.

That’s interesting- I never knew that about salt.  But I did notice that I had a ton of water weight yesterday.  

BTW one small slice of Dominos cheese pizza is only about 200 calories but ~ 450 mg of sodium. :shock: 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

That’s interesting- I never knew that about salt.  But I did notice that I had a ton of water weight yesterday.  

BTW one small slice of Dominos cheese pizza is only about 200 calories but ~ 450 mg of sodium. :shock: 

Wow.  That is a lot of salt.

I don’t personally know anything about the salt stuff.  Just piecing it together from what others say, what my wife tells me, and the annoying experience of feeling bloated the day after eating pizza.  So frustrating.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I was trying to figure out how my sodium got so high yesterday... turns out the southwest chicken salad i ate has over 1200mg.  Unfortunately I found this out after eating it again today. 

This is going to be harder than I thought. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Wow.  That is a lot of salt.

I don’t personally know anything about the salt stuff.  Just piecing it together from what others say, what my wife tells me, and the annoying experience of feeling bloated the day after eating pizza.  So frustrating.

It was easier to start fat and stay fat. You don't even notice a little bloating.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I was trying to figure out how my sodium got so high yesterday... turns out the southwest chicken salad i ate has over 1200mg.  Unfortunately I found this out after eating it again today. 

This is going to be harder than I thought. 

Most salad dressings have tons of sodium.  I never would have thought that until I started tracking.  Now I just dress the salad with balsamic vinegar and honestly it tastes just as good (with very little sodium).  

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

It was easier to start fat and stay fat. You don't even notice a little bloating.

For some reason this reminds me of the scene in The Last Boy Scout when Bruce Willis is making jokes about the one bad guy's wife being fat.   It's probably not a positive that I've seen that movie enough to remember specific moments.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

17 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Most salad dressings have tons of sodium.  I never would have thought that until I started tracking.  Now I just dress the salad with balsamic vinegar and honestly it tastes just as good (with very little sodium).  

We do a kale salad with a dressing that is:  lemon juice, olive oil, a small dash of salt.   It tastes fantastic.   I really don't need any salad dressing other than that now.   Had to look up olive oil to see if it is as salty as olives.....nope.   Anyway, yeah, it's crazy how high calorie and salty most salad dressings are.

• Like 1

• bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?