Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?


bostonfred

Recommended Posts

Back into one-derland!

Weighed in today at 199.6.  Less than a pound from my low before the holidays.  On 1/3 I was at 209 (but I know some of that was bloat from a big salty/fatty meal the evening of 1/2).  

Stayed under my calories on MFP (eating exercise calories), and stayed off the booze.  

I've been walking a ton this week and have been over 11k steps everyday.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Otis said:

Damn, that seems so crazy to me.  That’s such a LOW weight for me, I’ve always weighed more, maybe because I have broad shoulders, tend to be kind of bigger up top?  Not a muscle nut, just how I’m built.  I guess that’s why BMI isn’t a great indicator for everyone??  Or maybe i’ve just been fooling myself, and 205 or less is where I really should have been all along. 

I think you'll surprise yourself once you get down near that weight, but it also isn't something I'd apply any mental energy to right now. Get there first then worry about what to do from there. Regardless, BMI is just one metric. It alone doesn't tell the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think you'll surprise yourself once you get down near that weight, but it also isn't something I'd apply any mental energy to right now. Get there first then worry about what to do from there. Regardless, BMI is just one metric. It alone doesn't tell the story.

BMI breaks down a little bit for tall men and short women, but overall is the single best estimator if you will have weight related cardio issues down the line.  Just because you are tall doesn't mean your heart is scaled up to support it.  For that reason being tall gives you very little bandwidth to be fat as you already carry more blood, and require more to push blood to the extremities.  

That being said, there is a direct inverse relationship between height and mortality that is at least as strange as anything in nature.  I tend to think it's explainable by the fact that taller people tend to be in more developed countries with higher wealth.  Others have said perhaps it's due to better lung function.  Who knows.

If BMI says you are obese, you are fat, I don't care what you squat at that point.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, culdeus said:

BMI breaks down a little bit for tall men and short women, but overall is the single best estimator if you will have weight related cardio issues down the line.  Just because you are tall doesn't mean your heart is scaled up to support it.  For that reason being tall gives you very little bandwidth to be fat as you already carry more blood, and require more to push blood to the extremities.  

That being said, there is a direct inverse relationship between height and mortality that is at least as strange as anything in nature.  I tend to think it's explainable by the fact that taller people tend to be in more developed countries with higher wealth.  Others have said perhaps it's due to better lung function.  Who knows.

If BMI says you are obese, you are fat, I don't care what you squat at that point.  

Generally speaking, yes. General doesn't matter case-to-case though. Gotta apply the metric to your own unique reality. You mentioned heart health for example - my BMI says I'm over weight, but my resting heart rate is 49 so I'm not making a game plan to improve heart health right now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Generally speaking, yes. General doesn't matter case-to-case though. Gotta apply the metric to your own unique reality. You mentioned heart health for example - my BMI says I'm over weight, but my resting heart rate is 49 so I'm not making a game plan to improve heart health right now. 

Lol at you being considered overweight. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Generally speaking, yes. General doesn't matter case-to-case though. Gotta apply the metric to your own unique reality. You mentioned heart health for example - my BMI says I'm over weight, but my resting heart rate is 49 so I'm not making a game plan to improve heart health right now. 

Yea...BMI does not work for me at all. I'm 6' and have fluctuated between 195 and 210 the past 25 years. No matter where I'm at it still says I'm overweight. My ideal target weight if I'm in great shape at 52 years old is going to be between 190 and 195. I'm hoping to get there by Q2 of this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Generally speaking, yes. General doesn't matter case-to-case though. Gotta apply the metric to your own unique reality. You mentioned heart health for example - my BMI says I'm over weight, but my resting heart rate is 49 so I'm not making a game plan to improve heart health right now. 

My resting heart rate is right around 50 as well. And I had a Widowmaker.  Just sayin’

  • Love 1
  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Generally speaking, yes. General doesn't matter case-to-case though. Gotta apply the metric to your own unique reality. You mentioned heart health for example - my BMI says I'm over weight, but my resting heart rate is 49 so I'm not making a game plan to improve heart health right now. 

Resting heart rate really is not well correlated with heart health.  Recent studies have shown a "smile" in the data where ideal values are perhaps in the 70s and degrade in both directions.  The trendy item is overnight heart rate variability.  The apple watch and several other trackers attempt to measure this.  

This OHRV or whatever the kids are calling it is also a way to detect if you got Covid.  

Edited by culdeus
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Lol at you being considered overweight. 

In the interests of transparency, I am over my ideal weight right now. But even when I was my ideal weight I only dip below the overweight line during peak training. I never worry about it except when my other metrics slip.

15 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Yea...BMI does not work for me at all. I'm 6' and have fluctuated between 195 and 210 the past 25 years. No matter where I'm at it still says I'm overweight. My ideal target weight if I'm in great shape at 52 years old is going to be between 190 and 195. I'm hoping to get there by Q2 of this year.

Some 6' ish bodies carry 19X lbs just fine. Others don't. To determine your optimal number I'd also consider body fat %, waist, bp, cholestoral, quality of sleep, quantity/quality of movement, among other things.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MAC_32 said:

In the interests of transparency, I am over my ideal weight right now. But even when I was my ideal weight I only dip below the overweight line during peak training. I never worry about it except when my other metrics slip.

Some 6' ish bodies carry 19X lbs just fine. Others don't. To determine your optimal number I'd also consider body fat %, waist, bp, cholestoral, quality of sleep, quantity/quality of sleep, among other things.

:goodposting:

My sleep time and quality are both great. I'm due for a physical, so I should get those other metrics in the next  month or so.  :thumbup:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yesterday i walked about 9 miles and today i biked about 14 so far i should hit my stava december walking badge this afternoon if it stays above 10 degrees and then it will be a hard charge to hit my stava december biking badges ate ok and avoided pizza that was in the lunch room at work yesterday so i am feeling ok just an apple so far today lets see how quick i can take off 5 lbs i will weigh myself on monday next week and give it a rip take that to the bank bromigos

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ps i want to say good job to everyone in here kicking butt even if you have a bad day do not fold up your tent just set a goal of 2 or 3 lbs a week lost and then go at it steady eddy you got this just battle through the times when you open the fridge and look in there just close it chug two glasses of water and find something else to do you got this take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SWC said:

ps i want to say good job to everyone in here kicking butt even if you have a bad day do not fold up your tent just set a goal of 2 or 3 lbs a week lost and then go at it steady eddy you got this just battle through the times when you open the fridge and look in there just close it chug two glasses of water and find something else to do you got this take that to the bank bromigos 

This is absolutely correct. There's plenty of evidence if you can simply hold it together for 5 of 7 days there's success.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nov 30: 234.4

------

Jan 1: 224.0

Jan 4: 221.6

Jan 8: 219.8

Jan 11: 219.0

Jan 15: 218.2

Jan 19: 220.4

Jan 22: 218.0

Fallen off the wagon a bit, but weight has stayed mostly constant. Work has picked up, weather has gotten a bit colder. Need to toughen up and recommit, but as I look at 3 weeks, I've lost 6 pounds. A good rate of loss.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 18  260.0    - 14.4 lbs, 1385 cal, lift, 60 min cardio

Jan 19  258.2    - 16.2 lbs, 1196 cal, lift, 20 min cardio

Jan 20  260.2   -  14.2 lbs,  592 cal, lift, 25 min cardio 

Jan 21  260.2   -  14.2 lbs,  1495 cal, no exercise

Jan 22  259.0   -  15.4 lbs

Big fail yesterday.  Just a crappy long day at work and tired/un-motivated once I got home.  Missed my cal goal and skipped my work out.  

 

Hey, it happens.   Don't beat yourself up -- just get back at it today!   Great work and progress since Jan 1.   Awesome stuff.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ex-ghost said:

Nov 30: 234.4

------

Jan 1: 224.0

Jan 4: 221.6

Jan 8: 219.8

Jan 11: 219.0

Jan 15: 218.2

Jan 19: 220.4

Jan 22: 218.0

Fallen off the wagon a bit, but weight has stayed mostly constant. Work has picked up, weather has gotten a bit colder. Need to toughen up and recommit, but as I look at 3 weeks, I've lost 6 pounds. A good rate of loss.

I look at it as you've lost 16 lbs in less than two months.  Holy crap!!  Amazing!

p.s. falling off the wagon was me eating a ton of ice cream last night.  wife and kids aren't here, so i have less accountability, thus it turned into dairy/pig fest 2021.

Edited by Alex P Keaton
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker 

Thomas English muffin light/multi grain- 100 calories 8g fiber 4g protein 170mg sodium

2 large eggs- 140 calories 12g protein, 130mg sodium

Cracker cut extra sharp cheddar - 36 calories 2g protein 60mg sodium 

1oz boars head low sodium ham - 30 calories, 5g protein, 230mg sodium 

Total 306 calories 23g protein 8g fiber 590mg sodium

That is about as good as I've been able to get it. Could improve the meat if there's a lower sodium option. Might switch to avocado some days. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Back into one-derland!

Weighed in today at 199.6.  Less than a pound from my low before the holidays.  On 1/3 I was at 209 (but I know some of that was bloat from a big salty/fatty meal the evening of 1/2).  

Stayed under my calories on MFP (eating exercise calories), and stayed off the booze.  

I've been walking a ton this week and have been over 11k steps everyday.  

Congrats!  I hope to join you in a few weeks!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Otis said:
12 hours ago, Corporation said:

Great progress!  I knew I would be eating like a pig on NYE (4000 calories) and it didn't take long to burn off.  May also prevent your body from going into starvation mode.  My BMI is also 27.8 so you must be 6'4 or so.  If you are 6'4, you have to get down to 205 for the 25 BMI. For me to get to 25, I would have to lose 21 more pounds to 184.  My ultimate goal is 190, I don't think 184 is something I'd even really like.

Damn, that seems so crazy to me.  That’s such a LOW weight for me, I’ve always weighed more, maybe because I have broad shoulders, tend to be kind of bigger up top?  Not a muscle nut, just how I’m built.  I guess that’s why BMI isn’t a great indicator for everyone??  Or maybe i’ve just been fooling myself, and 205 or less is where I really should have been all along. 

Yeah BMI is applied to the general population, so body types are going to matter.  Just going by height and weight it would say most of these all world athletes are overweight.  Muscle mass makes a huge impact, that's why I wouldn't be overly concerned with getting to the 25 on BMI.  I'm good with 25.3 or whatever the number was if I make it to 190.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker 

Thomas English muffin light/multi grain- 100 calories 8g fiber 4g protein 170mg sodium

2 large eggs- 140 calories 12g protein, 130mg sodium

Cracker cut extra sharp cheddar - 36 calories 2g protein 60mg sodium 

1oz boars head low sodium ham - 30 calories, 5g protein, 230mg sodium 

Total 306 calories 23g protein 8g fiber 590mg sodium

That is about as good as I've been able to get it. Could improve the meat if there's a lower sodium option. Might switch to avocado some days. 

I kind of made fun of my daughter for asking for one of those for Christmas a year ago (she's in college and wanted it for breakfasts), then I had to buy one for home because they are awesome!

I prefer to use pre-cooked sausage patties rather than ham or other meats.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 16         205.4                -20.7                                          1480
  • Jan 17         206.1                -20.0                                          1520
  • Jan 18         205.9                -20.2                                          1390
  • Jan 19         205.0                -21.1                                          1560
  • Jan 20         205.0                -21.1                                          1480
  • Jan 21         204.5                -21.6                                          1600
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7

Daily fluctuation I guess?  Wasn't really expecting a .5 drop the day before (weighed 3 times to verify) and then certainly didn't expect a .9 increase today (weighed 3 times again).  I think it may be poop related.  I need to introduce more fiber and still more water into what I'm doing.  May go get some apples as a snack.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I kind of made fun of my daughter for asking for one of those for Christmas a year ago (she's in college and wanted it for breakfasts), then I had to buy one for home because they are awesome!

I prefer to use pre-cooked sausage patties rather than ham or other meats.

How's your sausage? Is it salty? I'm looking for low sodium options

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Corporation said:

Yeah BMI is applied to the general population, so body types are going to matter.  Just going by height and weight it would say most of these all world athletes are overweight.  Muscle mass makes a huge impact, that's why I wouldn't be overly concerned with getting to the 25 on BMI.  I'm good with 25.3 or whatever the number was if I make it to 190.

Some time during 2019 I got down to 158 pounds - that's still 23.3 on BMI and I had people constantly asking me if I was sick.  I do think my ideal weight (at 5' 9") is probably around 160.  I say this because before I used to think it was 175-180.  In general (and IMO) people overestimate what weight they should be at and set their goals too low or don't adjust once they hit them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Some time during 2019 I got down to 158 pounds - that's still 23.3 on BMI and I had people constantly asking me if I was sick.  I do think my ideal weight (at 5' 9") is probably around 160.  I say this because before I used to think it was 175-180.  In general (and IMO) people overestimate what weight they should be at and set their goals too low or don't adjust once they hit them.

Agreed - we are a fat society. What looks too skinny here is normal in other cultures. That's why one must consider their other metrics to determine their optimum number(s). One 6' 190 person could be the model of good health while another one with the exact same numbers could be a disaster. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was good today until lunch (where I ended up eating leftovers from last Saturday).  Ugh - that alone probably put me over my sodium goal for the day.  First slip up of the week.  Will have to eat a light dinner now.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Love that you're motivated by what all these guys are doing, and i definitely am too, but It's impressive that you've been losing or maintaining for the better part of a year now.  It means you're doing something you can sustain for that long.  Increasing your efforts is good too but give yourself some credit too. 

Thanks for the positivity BF. If I were still under 230, I would agree. Letting the 10 lbs. creep back on is the disappointing part, but it is ok. I will be under 230 again soon and then onto the next goal. 
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my doc told me to eat more salt my blood pressure is in the 90s or low 100s over 50 to 60 and my pulse is in the low 40s and when i stand up now i get lightheaded unless i stand up slowly i think its a function of really cutting my salt intake and also no more coffee in fact i am just about a year off of coffee after having drank over a gallon a day for decades before that take that to the bank brohans 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SWC said:

my doc told me to eat more salt  

Someday I would love to hear these words from my doctor.  I'm not even going to measure my BP until early March.  I'm excited to see the improvements of the low sodium diet.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else consume a meal replacement shake?  Facebook advert led to me this.   Wondering if anyone in the know has some thoughts on something like this or an alternative.   I'm not really looking to it for weight loss/maintenance, but more for getting the good stuff in me to maximize my health and how I feel.   I get a lot of the usual good stuff (blueberries, leafy greens, chicken, salmon, beans, etc) in me as part of my regular diet, but would something like this deliver in a convenient manner some of the other additional things that maybe I'm missing that could move further towards my objectives?  TIA.  

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Anyone else consume a meal replacement shake?  Facebook advert led to me this.   Wondering if anyone in the know has some thoughts on something like this or an alternative.   I'm not really looking to it for weight loss/maintenance, but more for getting the good stuff in me to maximize my health and how I feel.   I get a lot of the usual good stuff (blueberries, leafy greens, chicken, salmon, beans, etc) in me as part of my regular diet, but would something like this deliver in a convenient manner some of the other additional things that maybe I'm missing that could move further towards my objectives?  TIA.  

I would price this against True Nutrition products. What you show here seems spendy.  They are hard to beat and are AFAIK trustworthy.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most focused I have been in a few years.

1/22 - 228.4 (1/1 - 236.2)

I plan to close out January strong and hope for a 225 weigh in next Friday.

  • I changed the MFP profile from 'active' to 'not very active'. I have come to terms that I may be athletic and very active in the gym and sports but my job is "not very active' in terms of what I need to do majority of the day. I think the 1500 calorie bump down will help. Net calories for the past few weeks: 1750, 2141,1755 
  • Work outs are going great (In the gym every day this week 5-6 AM)
  • Finally back to some 2/3 and now 3/2 running splits on the treadmill ( have run 50 plus mile weeks in my history)
  • I need to hammer the yoga > and add > peloton to close out the month

I am finally in the grove and the cravings are past. I know I will have some bad days but pushing through those. 

Little things matter

  • Reading this thread helps
  • Bed by 9 PM - staying off silly phone google article trash close to bedtime
  • Phone alarm away from the bed
  • Clothes laid out
  • Grab the Mud/WTR and drive to the gym

Have a great weekend everyone. Lets keep pushing and avoid the fear of failure

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I would price this against True Nutrition products. What you show here seems spendy.  They are hard to beat and are AFAIK trustworthy.   

Will look into that.  Thank you.   Is there a noticeable benefit to consume something like that on a daily basis that you're aware of?  For instance, a multi vitamin seems like a good thing to take, but I've read numerous times that they're really not necessary; aside from vitamin d, you should be getting everything else they offer from a well balanced diet.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NutterButter said:

Anyone else consume a meal replacement shake?  Facebook advert led to me this.   Wondering if anyone in the know has some thoughts on something like this or an alternative.   I'm not really looking to it for weight loss/maintenance, but more for getting the good stuff in me to maximize my health and how I feel.   I get a lot of the usual good stuff (blueberries, leafy greens, chicken, salmon, beans, etc) in me as part of my regular diet, but would something like this deliver in a convenient manner some of the other additional things that maybe I'm missing that could move further towards my objectives?  TIA.  

So after experimenting with a few different options, this is what I've landed on as my breakfast starter.  I know there are much better options, but the taste and convenience of this for me has been achievable.  I needed a way to get some extra protein in, and I just couldn't stomach some of the powders.

Chocolate Fairlife Core Power

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, belljr said:

Start 223 somewhere...

12/28 221.6

12/29 220.4

12/30 219.8

1/1 218.6

1/4 220.2

1/5 219.6

1/6 218.4

1/7 218.0

1/9 218.0

1/15 216.8

1/21 215.4

Great progress, right around the 2 pound a week recommendation!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, culdeus said:

This is absolutely correct. There's plenty of evidence if you can simply hold it together for 5 of 7 days there's success.

I’m totally with this. In the past when I eat strictly during the week and let go on the weekend, I still manage to lose weight. That’s where I’d like to end up, living it up some on the weekend but staying very strict on calories until Friday night. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also played golf today, cart path only.  Don't have a push cart so walking is a bit rough right now.

Also powered through a t25 total body workout.  

So I'm on week 3 of t25. I never do the double Friday.  So I should have done 15 workouts and did 11.   2 of those days I was somewhat active walking around during softball practices. 2 other days I was just too sore and stuff to really workout.  I knew I was not in the best shape to roll through t25 so that's ok.  I loathe doing these workouts anyway.  I'd rather go play ice hockey or just lift weights. Any type of cardioesque workout bores me. Will mix some yoga in also at some point. I enjoy doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SWC said:

ps i want to say good job to everyone in here kicking butt even if you have a bad day do not fold up your tent just set a goal of 2 or 3 lbs a week lost and then go at it steady eddy you got this just battle through the times when you open the fridge and look in there just close it chug two glasses of water and find something else to do you got this take that to the bank bromigos 

Yep. In the past I would walk upstairs and roll through cheeze its or chips. I've opened the cabinet a couple times and just close it. I went 3 full days without a diet soda but did have one today.  Slowly mixing in more water but still not enough water. It feels like it should be easy but I just can't drink water lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got home from our 16 day vacation in late December. After all the holiday goodies and ice cream on vacation I weighed 216. So the last 3 weeks I've simply started doing intermittent fasting (16 hours from dinner to first meal at lunch is my average time), I ride my NT bike for 30-45 minutes every morning, and bam, already down to 202 this morning. And I'm pretty much eating whatever wife cooks for dinner (pizza, burger, chicken, whatever) Granted I'm not snacking on sugary crap and I don't drink alcohol (well I never do). I'm also 50, so even if metabolism slows down with age, I'm happy I'm still able to lose weight relatively easily. Oh, I also use a sauna for 30 minutes after I ride the bike every morning. That helps too I'm sure. Also I've done no weight training since last June due to bicep injury, so this is just cardio and IF doing most of the work. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Challenge:

I’m living out of a hotel for the next two weeks for work beginning Monday. This will be a challenge. But boy if I can not lose a step over those two weeks, I will be so well positioned. . 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...