Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Checking in from Florida.  Have been eating too much food (averaging about 2200 calories per day for over a week now) and more importantly, not eating healthy enough.  That said, I’m exercising a ton (13 miles per day of run/walk combo + push-ups + yoga).  And I’ve been successfully eating more lean protein.  But too much ice cream and donuts.

Won’t know if I’ve done damage to my weight until we get home on Sunday.  But based on my calorie counting, I should be down slightly or very stable.

My main focus continues to be trying to eat healthier, more protein/veggies/fruits, push-ups and yoga.  Lean muscle building.

Wow that’s an impressive amount of exercise.  I’ve been focusing on more protein as well.  Wife is a vegetarian and so I rarely eat meat at home.  It’s a lot harder to get the amount of protein that I need.  So now I eat fish, shrimp, turkey for lunch just about every day during the week.  

Ice cream has become my Achilles heel.  I’ve done great at staying under my calorie and sodium goal and it’s almost as if my brain is telling me to compensate by overloading on sugar.  Fortunately I don’t eat much sugar outside of that but I really can’t be eating a bowl of ice cream every night.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stepped on the scale this morning and saw 219.6.  That's probably just a nice fluctuation and I'll be back to 220.4 tomorrow morning but it was exciting. The last two months I've been losing weight i

Oh hell yes. Ate dinner, had a banana, drank a quart of water,  209.5 I'm officially down 75.1 lbs as of this morning.

Alright I'm in.   In June of 2019 I finished my 25th ultramarathon race with the San Diego 100 miler.  I weighed in the low 180s then, so at 5' 11" in no way was I skinny as I still had a bit of

Woke up with a faint headache from those two glasses of white wine. What’s the point??  I need to cut that out. But more importantly I need to drink wayyy more water during the day. I’m terrible at that. 
 

I’m not failing this time. No how no way. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Wow that’s an impressive amount of exercise.  I’ve been focusing on more protein as well.  Wife is a vegetarian and so I rarely eat meat at home.  It’s a lot harder to get the amount of protein that I need.  So now I eat fish, shrimp, turkey for lunch just about every day during the week.  

Ice cream has become my Achilles heel.  I’ve done great at staying under my calorie and sodium goal and it’s almost as if my brain is telling me to compensate by overloading on sugar.  Fortunately I don’t eat much sugar outside of that but I really can’t be eating a bowl of ice cream every night.

Halo top and that brand @Otisliked.  Tastes like ice cream but it's low in sugar and high in protein and fiber. Uses sugar alcohols mostly but frozen and with other flavors I honestly couldn't tell and I usually hate artificial sweeteners. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Woke up with a faint headache from those two glasses of white wine. What’s the point??  I need to cut that out. But more importantly I need to drink wayyy more water during the day. I’m terrible at that. 
 

I’m not failing this time. No how no way. 

Are you still measuring wine?  Two glasses and a headache sounds suspiciously like three glasses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Are you still measuring wine?  Two glasses and a headache sounds suspiciously like three glasses. 

May have been a little dehydration since he admitted that he doesn’t drink much water.  In any case, I would do what it takes to avoid waking up with a little headache.   Headaches suck.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardio is suffering a bit the last few weeks.  Had a bit of achilles tightness a couple weeks ago.  Took a week off of running.  Started back slow with 2 shorter runs and did them on the treadmill to avoid hills.  They seemed to go fine.  Run Monday was a little sore that evening.  So walked yesterday and it tightened up during the walk...probably should have stuck to flat vs. neighborhood area which has a few hills (especially walking yesterday up one of the trouble spots around here).  Weather not looking great for biking in the next few days with rain/ice expected.  So maybe some shorter slower treadmill walks to go with weight training this week.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Otis said:

Woke up with a faint headache from those two glasses of white wine. What’s the point??  I need to cut that out. But more importantly I need to drink wayyy more water during the day. I’m terrible at that. 
 

I’m not failing this time. No how no way. 

Stay strong Otis.  I’m debating whether to say “I don’t think you can do this” (as motivation) or “you’ve got this” (as motivation).  Choose whichever motivates you more.

2 glasses = headache?  Of white wine?  C’mon man, aren’t you a pro?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Checking in from Florida.  Have been eating too much food (averaging about 2200 calories per day for over a week now) and more importantly, not eating healthy enough.  That said, I’m exercising a ton (13 miles per day of run/walk combo + push-ups + yoga).  And I’ve been successfully eating more lean protein.  But too much ice cream and donuts.

Won’t know if I’ve done damage to my weight until we get home on Sunday.  But based on my calorie counting, I should be down slightly or very stable.

My main focus continues to be trying to eat healthier, more protein/veggies/fruits, push-ups and yoga.  Lean muscle building.

Given that quantity of movement 2200 is likely a good number.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Stay strong Otis.  I’m debating whether to say “I don’t think you can do this” (as motivation) or “you’ve got this” (as motivation).  Choose whichever motivates you more.

2 glasses = headache?  Of white wine?  C’mon man, aren’t you a pro?

Every day I come to a different conclusion. 

While the wine may be the cause of the headache the diet whiplash is likely the source. His body is giving him the finger after a significant caloric deficit the last 2 days (which included alcohol and junk food both days) after an awful week. KISS - eat junk and you feel like junk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAC_32 said:

Every day I come to a different conclusion. 

While the wine may be the cause of the headache the diet whiplash is likely the source. His body is giving him the finger after a significant caloric deficit the last 2 days (which included alcohol and junk food both days) after an awful week. KISS - eat junk and you feel like junk.

On the 2nd part, absolutely.

On the 1st part.....I love it when people say “there is no chance you can do this.”  Every time I’m running a race — slow as I am — my wife asks my target time and then right before dropping me off says “I really don’t think you can do this today.”  Haha.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Cardio is suffering a bit the last few weeks.  Had a bit of achilles tightness a couple weeks ago.  Took a week off of running.  Started back slow with 2 shorter runs and did them on the treadmill to avoid hills.  They seemed to go fine.  Run Monday was a little sore that evening.  So walked yesterday and it tightened up during the walk...probably should have stuck to flat vs. neighborhood area which has a few hills (especially walking yesterday up one of the trouble spots around here).  Weather not looking great for biking in the next few days with rain/ice expected.  So maybe some shorter slower treadmill walks to go with weight training this week.

 

Walking and even more rest is definitely the answer.   Are you running on concrete?  that can mess me up over time.   Now I try to run on trails, tracks and treadmills which are easier on my legs.  Haven't had a sore calf, heel, knee, etc in a while.  Concrete is reserved for walks.  

Glucosamine is a great amino acid I'd recommend looking into.  It's really helped me alleviate soreness.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Major said:

Walking and even more rest is definitely the answer.   Are you running on concrete?  that can mess me up over time.   Now I try to run on trails, tracks and treadmills which are easier on my legs.  Haven't had a sore calf, heel, knee, etc in a while.  Concrete is reserved for walks.  

Glucosamine is a great amino acid I'd recommend looking into.  It's really helped me alleviate soreness.  

Yeah...concrete but never been a problem before.  Running has been going on for a while...calf issues last spring/summer was new for me too.  Those subsided with rest and being smart.  Not sure why this popped up this time as I had not been ramping up anything suddenly at all.  

But yeah...may be treadmill for a while.  Have avoided that for a few reasons. 

1.  hate the treadmill...but it does give me a chance to binge some shows.

2.  Its in our bedroom...which also doubles as my wife's home office.  So timing of when I run and my whole schedule will have to change to do this.

And yeah...ive done the Glucosamine before when I had some knee issues.  May be time to get back onto that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Yeah...concrete but never been a problem before.  Running has been going on for a while...calf issues last spring/summer was new for me too.  Those subsided with rest and being smart.  Not sure why this popped up this time as I had not been ramping up anything suddenly at all.  

But yeah...may be treadmill for a while.  Have avoided that for a few reasons. 

1.  hate the treadmill...but it does give me a chance to binge some shows.

2.  Its in our bedroom...which also doubles as my wife's home office.  So timing of when I run and my whole schedule will have to change to do this.

And yeah...ive done the Glucosamine before when I had some knee issues.  May be time to get back onto that.

Can't diagnose from afar, but a trajectory of calf issues to achilles tightness is not unusual. The remedy? Not so simple, will likely involve trial-and-error with a dash of calculated risks. I'd test our different terrain, but I'd prioritize mixing it up. The same movement over-and-over again on the same surface can lead to these over use injuries. So, do some dreadmill. Do some sidewalks. Do some streets. Do some paved trails. Do some not. Do some hills. Do some track. Etc. 

And more importantly than all of that - strength training w/a focus on back/core and everything below. It won't help you get faster, but it will increase your probabilities of staying healthier.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Can't diagnose from afar, but a trajectory of calf issues to achilles tightness is not unusual. The remedy? Not so simple, will likely involve trial-and-error with a dash of calculated risks. I'd test our different terrain, but I'd prioritize mixing it up. The same movement over-and-over again on the same surface can lead to these over use injuries. So, do some dreadmill. Do some sidewalks. Do some streets. Do some paved trails. Do some not. Do some hills. Do some track. Etc. 

And more importantly than all of that - strength training w/a focus on back/core and everything below. It won't help you get faster, but it will increase your probabilities of staying healthier.

The interesting part...it was my right calf...its my left achilles.  I had thought about the connection too...only thing I can think of is favoring one side while the calf was bothering me and if that affected my gait even after the calf was feeling good.

Im usually a mix of sidewalks and streets around here.  Sidewalks when its not aggregate...but part of the neighborhood has aggregate sidewalks and no thank you.  I try sidewalks when I can due to the cambered roads and previous ankle issues with that.

Yeah...been adding in the core training again as I had laid off that a bit to long.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

The interesting part...it was my right calf...its my left achilles.  I had thought about the connection too...only thing I can think of is favoring one side while the calf was bothering me and if that affected my gait even after the calf was feeling good.

Im usually a mix of sidewalks and streets around here.  Sidewalks when its not aggregate...but part of the neighborhood has aggregate sidewalks and no thank you.  I try sidewalks when I can due to the cambered roads and previous ankle issues with that.

Yeah...been adding in the core training again as I had laid off that a bit to long.

 

Yep, over-compensation was my knee jerk reading the sentence before the bolded.. I got ran over by a car while running over the summer. I escaped with a deep bone bruise on my right hip and a bad case of road rash, but I've been battling back and left ankle problems since fall. Over-compensation is why. I spent 3 months after the accident trying to combat against it, but some form of it was inevitable. When the body has an ailment on one side of the body the natural reaction is to try and take some of the workload from it, no matter whether you overtly try to work towards minimizing it or not.

You'll probably experience a variety of setbacks as you work your way through this, but if you game plan to combat it and adjust when your body says to then you're more likely to get out the other side properly aligned.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 6          201.5                -24.6                                           1480
  • Feb 7          201.0                -25.1                                           4000 - Super Bowl Cheat Day
  • Feb 8          203.2                -22.9                                           1390
  • Feb 9          202.3                -23.8                                           1480
  • Feb 10        200.6                -25.5

New low!  Sub 200 in sight but probably not by Valentine's Day.  Was a much bigger drop than I expected, will probably see a slight increase tomorrow just because the drop feels too big.

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Corporation said:
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 6          201.5                -24.6                                           1480
  • Feb 7          201.0                -25.1                                           4000 - Super Bowl Cheat Day
  • Feb 8          203.2                -22.9                                           1390
  • Feb 9          202.3                -23.8                                           1480
  • Feb 10        200.6                -25.5

New low!  Sub 200 in sight but probably not by Valentine's Day.  Was a much bigger drop than I expected, will probably see a slight increase tomorrow just because the drop feels too big.

Congrats!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Stay strong Otis.  I’m debating whether to say “I don’t think you can do this” (as motivation) or “you’ve got this” (as motivation).  Choose whichever motivates you more.

2 glasses = headache?  Of white wine?  C’mon man, aren’t you a pro?

Otis can certainly do this once he commits long term.  Slow and steady is the key.   When he falls off the horse, like most of us do, he needs to get back on the next day.  He needs to also not fall off of the horse often since that breaks the good habits that he is building.  

I think this is the year for Oats.  He is headed in the right direction on a realistic path.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I'm in.  

In June of 2019 I finished my 25th ultramarathon race with the San Diego 100 miler.  I weighed in the low 180s then, so at 5' 11" in no way was I skinny as I still had a bit of a gut (I'm most definitely not built like a runner), but I was feeling pretty good.

Later in 2019 I did my normal seasonal drift up in weight in the winter to the mid-190s.  Then Covid happened, all races were cancelled for 2020, and my motivation waned as I drifted up over 200 lbs.  I suffered two injuries in the first half of 2020 that kept me from running much or at all for weeks-months at a time.  Drifted up to 210.  Most of my clothes were too tight.  I had a minor surgery later in the year that required not getting my heart rate up for a couple of weeks while the stitches healed.  Since then, I've still barely run.  Yesterday, after a dinner Monday night of lasagna, garlic bread, and too much wine, I weighed in at 217.4.  I'm wearing the same few things every day because everything else is too small. I feel gross.  I'm almost afraid to run at this weight for fear of getting injured.

Enough.

I do walk 1 1/2 - 3 hours pretty much every day thanks to an active 4 year old husky mix, so I won't have that quick bump by just adding some activity.  For me it's all about diet.  I stress eat, I stress drink.  I eat or drink when I'm bored.  So 2020 wasn't great for either of those things.  But those are all excuses, things that can be overcome.

I've had success with keto in the past so I started with that yesterday to try to reset my metabolism a bit, and re-learn to focus on what I'm eating and drinking.  The plan is to do it for at least two weeks, maybe up to two months, depending on how things are going.  I really want to be able to wear my clothes again.

2/9:  217.4, 29.7% body fat

2/10: 214.1, 29.1%

(I know the body fat percentage aren't totally accurate, but they are good for measuring trends.)

 

tl:dr - I'm too fat and I want to fit in my clothes and start running again.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corporation said:
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 6          201.5                -24.6                                           1480
  • Feb 7          201.0                -25.1                                           4000 - Super Bowl Cheat Day
  • Feb 8          203.2                -22.9                                           1390
  • Feb 9          202.3                -23.8                                           1480
  • Feb 10        200.6                -25.5

New low!  Sub 200 in sight but probably not by Valentine's Day.  Was a much bigger drop than I expected, will probably see a slight increase tomorrow just because the drop feels too big.

You can still get there by 2/14!!!  Make a push for it!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFBayDuck said:

Alright I'm in.  

In June of 2019 I finished my 25th ultramarathon race with the San Diego 100 miler.  I weighed in the low 180s then, so at 5' 11" in no way was I skinny as I still had a bit of a gut (I'm most definitely not built like a runner), but I was feeling pretty good.

Later in 2019 I did my normal seasonal drift up in weight in the winter to the mid-190s.  Then Covid happened, all races were cancelled for 2020, and my motivation waned as I drifted up over 200 lbs.  I suffered two injuries in the first half of 2020 that kept me from running much or at all for weeks-months at a time.  Drifted up to 210.  Most of my clothes were too tight.  I had a minor surgery later in the year that required not getting my heart rate up for a couple of weeks while the stitches healed.  Since then, I've still barely run.  Yesterday, after a dinner Monday night of lasagna, garlic bread, and too much wine, I weighed in at 217.4.  I'm wearing the same few things every day because everything else is too small. I feel gross.  I'm almost afraid to run at this weight for fear of getting injured.

Enough.

I do walk 1 1/2 - 3 hours pretty much every day thanks to an active 4 year old husky mix, so I won't have that quick bump by just adding some activity.  For me it's all about diet.  I stress eat, I stress drink.  I eat or drink when I'm bored.  So 2020 wasn't great for either of those things.  But those are all excuses, things that can be overcome.

I've had success with keto in the past so I started with that yesterday to try to reset my metabolism a bit, and re-learn to focus on what I'm eating and drinking.  The plan is to do it for at least two weeks, maybe up to two months, depending on how things are going.  I really want to be able to wear my clothes again.

2/9:  217.4, 29.7% body fat

2/10: 214.1, 29.1%

(I know the body fat percentage aren't totally accurate, but they are good for measuring trends.)

 

tl:dr - I'm too fat and I want to fit in my clothes and start running again.

Welcome to it. 

My first thought reading that is that you've probably never learned how to eat like an old dude.  A lot of us hadn't. Some of us got fat, some dieted and then regained it, some managed to yoyo around to a maintenance weight higher than we wanted, but most people in this thread needed to relearn how to eat after our metabolisms dropped each year. 

You were training for ultra marathons and burning thousands of extra calories per week.. maybe even per day. You probably gravitate towards keto because you never learned what normal portions look like when you're not banging out 90 minute runs.  

It might be a good idea to relearn what your maintenance calories look like and what a normal day of dieting would look like for you. It seems like your weight gain wasn't because you stopped running, but because you kept eating like you were running, and you might benefit most from learning what eating when you're not runnint looks like. To be honest it will probably make you want to run again. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Welcome to it. 

My first thought reading that is that you've probably never learned how to eat like an old dude.  A lot of us hadn't. Some of us got fat, some dieted and then regained it, some managed to yoyo around to a maintenance weight higher than we wanted, but most people in this thread needed to relearn how to eat after our metabolisms dropped each year. 

You were training for ultra marathons and burning thousands of extra calories per week.. maybe even per day. You probably gravitate towards keto because you never learned what normal portions look like when you're not banging out 90 minute runs.  

It might be a good idea to relearn what your maintenance calories look like and what a normal day of dieting would look like for you. It seems like your weight gain wasn't because you stopped running, but because you kept eating like you were running, and you might benefit most from learning what eating when you're not runnint looks like. To be honest it will probably make you want to run again. 

Thanks, appreciate the thoughts.  There is probably some truth to that, but I was overweight when I was younger, too.  Spent most of my 20s over 200 lbs, peaked at about 225 after my daughter was born when I was 32.  I dropped back down into the 210s and was pretty much there until a few years later when I started running, and not too long after that I started paying attention to what I was eating.  185-195 became the range I was mostly operating in, and I got down to about 177 in 2017 when I peaked for a race I had been working towards for 5 years.  So I know how to do it, but my motivation and willingness to do it has been largely tied to training and races.  When that was taken away, I didn't adjust. 

That's where what you say comes in - I need to learn how to eat when I'm not burning a ton of calories, and how to adjust that when I am.

Edited by SFBayDuck
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFBayDuck said:

Alright I'm in.  

In June of 2019 I finished my 25th ultramarathon race with the San Diego 100 miler.  I weighed in the low 180s then, so at 5' 11" in no way was I skinny as I still had a bit of a gut (I'm most definitely not built like a runner), but I was feeling pretty good.

Later in 2019 I did my normal seasonal drift up in weight in the winter to the mid-190s.  Then Covid happened, all races were cancelled for 2020, and my motivation waned as I drifted up over 200 lbs.  I suffered two injuries in the first half of 2020 that kept me from running much or at all for weeks-months at a time.  Drifted up to 210.  Most of my clothes were too tight.  I had a minor surgery later in the year that required not getting my heart rate up for a couple of weeks while the stitches healed.  Since then, I've still barely run.  Yesterday, after a dinner Monday night of lasagna, garlic bread, and too much wine, I weighed in at 217.4.  I'm wearing the same few things every day because everything else is too small. I feel gross.  I'm almost afraid to run at this weight for fear of getting injured.

Enough.

I do walk 1 1/2 - 3 hours pretty much every day thanks to an active 4 year old husky mix, so I won't have that quick bump by just adding some activity.  For me it's all about diet.  I stress eat, I stress drink.  I eat or drink when I'm bored.  So 2020 wasn't great for either of those things.  But those are all excuses, things that can be overcome.

I've had success with keto in the past so I started with that yesterday to try to reset my metabolism a bit, and re-learn to focus on what I'm eating and drinking.  The plan is to do it for at least two weeks, maybe up to two months, depending on how things are going.  I really want to be able to wear my clothes again.

2/9:  217.4, 29.7% body fat

2/10: 214.1, 29.1%

(I know the body fat percentage aren't totally accurate, but they are good for measuring trends.)

 

tl:dr - I'm too fat and I want to fit in my clothes and start running again.

On the bright side, you didn't drift from 205 to 235 and then to 275 last year.

Did a 5 miler last night, first outdoor run and first jog over two miles.  13:30 pace.  I used to target that as my waking pace.  Do you have anything on the calendar for this year?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corporation said:
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 6          201.5                -24.6                                           1480
  • Feb 7          201.0                -25.1                                           4000 - Super Bowl Cheat Day
  • Feb 8          203.2                -22.9                                           1390
  • Feb 9          202.3                -23.8                                           1480
  • Feb 10        200.6                -25.5

New low!  Sub 200 in sight but probably not by Valentine's Day.  Was a much bigger drop than I expected, will probably see a slight increase tomorrow just because the drop feels too big.

You'll get there by Saturday - stay the course.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

On the bright side, you didn't drift from 205 to 235 and then to 275 last year.

Did a 5 miler last night, first outdoor run and first jog over two miles.  13:30 pace.  I used to target that as my waking pace.  Do you have anything on the calendar for this year?

Congrats on the 5 miler!  I've done plenty of 5 mile hikes, but haven't "run" more than 3-4 miles in months.

As of now the Canyons 100K at the end of April is still on, although I'm obviously nowhere near in a position to do that right now.  But I finished it a few years ago in 18 hours with an achilles issue that had me hiking most of it, so if I can drop enough lbs and get some longer efforts in over March-April, I may give it a go.  But I'd have to be BnB level crazy to try that ;)

And Angeles Crest 100M is still trying to go in August, but huge sections of that course were basically destroyed by fires last year so I'm doubtful that will happen.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Yeah...concrete but never been a problem before.  Running has been going on for a while...calf issues last spring/summer was new for me too.  Those subsided with rest and being smart.  Not sure why this popped up this time as I had not been ramping up anything suddenly at all.  

But yeah...may be treadmill for a while.  Have avoided that for a few reasons. 

1.  hate the treadmill...but it does give me a chance to binge some shows.

2.  Its in our bedroom...which also doubles as my wife's home office.  So timing of when I run and my whole schedule will have to change to do this.

And yeah...ive done the Glucosamine before when I had some knee issues.  May be time to get back onto that.

It never was a problem for me until a few years back when I got my first calf strain and then turf toe.  I could barely walk for a week.  I stopped running concrete for a while and haven't had an issue since.  As someone previously recommended, try a mix of terrains to see what works for you but until you're healed, I'd go easy on less forgiving surfaces.  

As for the treadmill, I hate it to for runs as well.  Definitely not the same.  What it is great for is high incline walks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Stay strong Otis.  I’m debating whether to say “I don’t think you can do this” (as motivation) or “you’ve got this” (as motivation).  Choose whichever motivates you more.

2 glasses = headache?  Of white wine?  C’mon man, aren’t you a pro?

I’ve become such a lightweight. Tonight I had a Bud Select 55 with dinner. I miss these things. They’re terrible, but to say I had a beer and only had 55 calories, worth it. 
 

It was a very faint headache. I think there was poor hydration as a part of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Stayed under calories yesterday but ate cookies and pizza. 

Stayed under calories today but ate cookies and pizza. 

I am glad I'm rubbing off on otis but I think I got some otis on me in the process.

I get the math, but is eating all of that junk day after day yet staying under a calorie goal really that healthy? Are you focused on just weight or overall health? I know lots of unhealthy skinny people.

Edited by Judge Smails
Link to post
Share on other sites

PS I have over 300 calories left and just poured myself an herbal tea. MFP says these are 1 calorie each. So I could have over 300 more of them. 
 

Fad diet idea brewing....

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

I get the math, but is eating all of that junk day after day yet staying under a calorie goal really that healthy? Are you focused on just weight or overall health? I know lots of unhealthy skinny people.

1 I usually target 120g to 150g protein, 25 to 35g fiber, and under 2300mg sodium. I'll end up on the low side of protein today because of the junk but I ate well early and will end up over 30g fiber. I also rowed on my erg, did 100 pushups for the 10th consecutive day and did some lifting. I'm not advocating anyone eat pizza and cookies all day. 

2 i would much rather eat cookies and drink wine on 1500 net calories a day than 2500 net calories, and for guys who are starting out on a diet, giving up wine or cookies is often too much to start.  So focus on staying under calories, learn how to do it day after day, how to plan your meals and your exercise and make sure you don't short change your dinner because you ate a big lunch or had a moment of weakness when you got your kids McDonald's. It takes time to get used to eating less but it's a worthwhile investment in your future imo because the skills last a lifetime. So yes, i think a phase of eating junk as part of your 1500 is completely ok. 

3 eating 1500 calories of garbage long term will mean you lose weight but a greater percentage will be muscle than if you ate lots of protein and fiber and complex carbs and did lots of resistance training. Its hard to add muscle while losing weight but it's possible to keep more muscle or even make some gains while cutting calories if you eat quality foods and train. For me, that is phase two of my fitness transformation, which is my journey from 284.6 a year and a half ago, to the 240s this summer, to about 220 now, in the best shape of my adult life both weight and muscle, and targeting a much healthier 208 lbs by Easter which would get me out of the obese BMI for the first time since I don't know when. In phase one I developed the habits that made me know for sure that I will be successful with this, and sometimes that means eating junk along the way.  I still do, and it is the reason I don't need to take actual cheat days where I go over calories, or lose my #### from doing this for as long as I have been. 

4 the only reason I'm not going faster is that I'm taking the long view, which for me also includes losing enough weight that I have to consider that extra skin people get when they lose a lot of weight fast. My understanding is that that never goes away without surgery. But if you lose about 10 percent of your body weight and take a break, your skin has time to readjust to your new size, and if you add muscle during that time, hydrate, eat fairly well and then drop another ten percent or so, you can avoid it altogether. That's why I'm targeting 208 and not 178. Eventually I'll shoot for 184.6 or even a touch lower, and by then I expect to have continued to improve my eating habits. But right now I am pretty confident in my eating choices.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if this “eating like garbage” stuff is directed at me, but if so, I’m really not eating so poorly. I have coffee in the morning with a 250 calorie or so breakfast. Some mornings it’s two pieces or whole grain toast with peanut butter, some mornings it is a turkey bacon and egg white sandwich. Lunch lately is a salad or a 105 calorie protein bar.  Dinner is either a salad with grilled chicken or whatever the wife has made. Then I’ll have an alcoholic drink or two max, and some chocolate/a handful of cookies/etc.  On the whole I think I’m eating fairly well. Is it perfect?  No. But perfect is a diet. I’m not trying to diet. I’m trying to do something that I could reasonably do forever. I’ve tried dieting. It’s no bueno. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fred making me look really bad with the exercise. I eventually need to get back on my rower and back to push ups. But I guess there’s time for that. 
 

I’m also so damn tired. Maybe it’s readjusting to the lower calories.  I want to go to bed at like 7 or 8pm and I’m sleeping till 6 or 7. 
 

Maybe tomorrow I’ll try some real exercise (beside the midday one mile walk with the dog). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

I don’t know if this “eating like garbage” stuff is directed at me, but if so, I’m really not eating so poorly. I have coffee in the morning with a 250 calorie or so breakfast. Some mornings it’s two pieces or whole grain toast with peanut butter, some mornings it is a turkey bacon and egg white sandwich. Lunch lately is a salad or a 105 calorie protein bar.  Dinner is either a salad with grilled chicken or whatever the wife has made. Then I’ll have an alcoholic drink or two max, and some chocolate/a handful of cookies/etc.  On the whole I think I’m eating fairly well. Is it perfect?  No. But perfect is a diet. I’m not trying to diet. I’m trying to do something that I could reasonably do forever. I’ve tried dieting. It’s no bueno. 

Don’t think the “eating like garbage” is directed at a single person.  Hell, I’ve been quite open about my perpetual love of donuts and ice cream......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Otis said:

I don’t know if this “eating like garbage” stuff is directed at me, but if so, I’m really not eating so poorly. I have coffee in the morning with a 250 calorie or so breakfast. Some mornings it’s two pieces or whole grain toast with peanut butter, some mornings it is a turkey bacon and egg white sandwich. Lunch lately is a salad or a 105 calorie protein bar.  Dinner is either a salad with grilled chicken or whatever the wife has made. Then I’ll have an alcoholic drink or two max, and some chocolate/a handful of cookies/etc.  On the whole I think I’m eating fairly well. Is it perfect?  No. But perfect is a diet. I’m not trying to diet. I’m trying to do something that I could reasonably do forever. I’ve tried dieting. It’s no bueno. 

Not at all.  I just saw cookies and pizza on back to back days with Fred and questioned it. Hey, whatever works for people is great.  The collective weight loss by this entire group is leading to a healthier FFA, which is fantastic.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

90 minute massage.  Glorious.  Baked potato with salsa for dinner.  Have my cardio testing tomorrow.  Hope the ticker is doing well.  We'll see.

If you can make it through a 90-minute "massage" the ticker must be in great shape!

Seriously, good luck tomorrow.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

If you can make it through a 90-minute "massage" the ticker must be in great shape!

Seriously, good luck tomorrow.

If it takes 90 minutes to "finish" the "massage" and you haven't "massaged" yourself recently then you may have high blood pressure or other issues and you might want to talk to your doctor. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the kids to Sonic last night for an ice cream treat after Mass (was one said for my father in law)...I think I have found I really don't crave super sweet as much lately and not really ice cream.  Was not even that hard to see my whole family enjoying a shake.  And Ive fixed shakes for my daughter at home and really don't have an urge to make one for myself.  

Now...if I could do the same for salty snacks...that would be great.  Im like pookie in New Jack City...it just keeps callin me man...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Don’t think the “eating like garbage” is directed at a single person.  Hell, I’ve been quite open about my perpetual love of donuts and ice cream......

Right, it's a general message/reminder. It's easy for this to get lost when the hyper focus is simply on consumption quantity. Tracking macros like Fred does is an effective way to combat this, but it requires additional mental energy to do that. Some may not be willing to do that (nothing wrong with that either), so I think a message like this is important to periodically float in everyone's orbit. Especially shortly after a day in which the vast majority likely put their guard down with the super bowl.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...