Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?


bostonfred

Recommended Posts

169g protein

51g fiber

2522mg sodium (over goal of 2300mg)

25 calories under goal

Did some curls, rows, pushups and assisted pull ups and got on the rower just long enough to burn off dinner then talked to my dad on the phone for his 75th birthday.  Would love to have gone down to see him but this was nice too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 13        199.5                -26.6                                          1580
  • Feb 14        199.9                -26.2                                          1480
  • Feb 15        199.5                -26.6                                          1510
  • Feb 16        199.2                -26.9                                          1540
  • Feb 17        199.7                -26.4                                          1540
  • Feb 18        199.9                -26.2                                          1480

As usual, I believe these gains to be mainly poop. 

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried a new brand of coffee today... put my normal amount of sugar in it and it was too sweet... made a second cup with no sugar... it was plenty sweet... this is a huge deal for me, my sugary coffee every day has been my biggest vice for the last year, and if I can make this switch permanently it will be an extra hundred plus calories a day. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2021 at 9:27 AM, belljr said:
On 2/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, belljr said:
On 2/4/2021 at 9:57 AM, belljr said:

Hit 225 at one point

Start 223 somewhere for this...

  • 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
  • 1/6 218.4
  • 1/7 218.0
  • 1/9 218.0
  • 1/15 216.8
  • 1/21 215.4
  • 1/29 214.8
  • 2/4  213.6

I'll feel a lot better when i get that 209 intermediate goal :)

Expand  

2/5 213.

I would love to get to 200 by 3/2 have a fitting. I know that's not realistic but hopeful

2/13 213.6

Cheated a little but go the number to move finally.

2/19 211.4

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BassNBrew said:

Dieting - check

Lifting and Cardio - check

Weight Loss - X

I think I broke the laws of thermodynamics.  Been stuck on 255 for almost a week.  going to have 8 days to lose 5.x lbs to stay on track.

you are still on track. the 5.x is just a number. stay the course, stick with the process!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Tried a new brand of coffee today... put my normal amount of sugar in it and it was too sweet... made a second cup with no sugar... it was plenty sweet... this is a huge deal for me, my sugary coffee every day has been my biggest vice for the last year, and if I can make this switch permanently it will be an extra hundred plus calories a day. 

Once you go black you never go back

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, belljr said:

Cheated a little but go the number to move finally.

2/19 211.4

I've been stuck at the same number for almost two weeks and you've seen every day I'm getting plenty of fiber and staying under my calorie goal. It happens. Glad you finally saw some movement but it's not something to stress over. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Tried a new brand of coffee today... put my normal amount of sugar in it and it was too sweet... made a second cup with no sugar... it was plenty sweet... this is a huge deal for me, my sugary coffee every day has been my biggest vice for the last year, and if I can make this switch permanently it will be an extra hundred plus calories a day. 

What brand? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                   -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524

Now that I hit the sub 200 goal, it becomes really hard work.  190 will be my next target, but won't have a date attached to it.  I think I'm looking more at 1 pound a week loss rather than 2 pounds, as I've been able to do this pretty much strictly through diet. Hoping for warmer weather so I can get more cardio in. Also waiting on results from my shoulder MRI. If they have to operate that will throw a huge kink into everything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I've been stuck at the same number for almost two weeks and you've seen every day I'm getting plenty of fiber and staying under my calorie goal. It happens. Glad you finally saw some movement but it's not something to stress over. 

I think I OD'd on psyllium yesterday.

2 hours ago, Corporation said:
6 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

Weigh in after you poop. Duh. 

I want to post more than once a week though :)

I don't want to weigh myself 4 times a day :bag:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I've been stuck at the same number for almost two weeks and you've seen every day I'm getting plenty of fiber and staying under my calorie goal. It happens. Glad you finally saw some movement but it's not something to stress over. 

I have to remind myself of this.   We cannot become disappointed in the results and must trust the process.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

I have to remind myself of this.   We cannot become disappointed in the results and must trust the process.  

Yeah, don't get too bummed out about the number as long as you're doing the work.  Often times, you'll be adding muscle and leaning out while the scale is suggesting no progress.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ran a sub 45 minute masked 10k today and am very pleased. From the start, my goal was to be a better runner, and the weight would take care of itself. The size 34 pants I was so happy to buy are too big now.

Ego motivates me, and the results have been awesome. I want to get faster, and that keeps the eating in line. It feels great having lost the weight. Now the goal becomes keeping it off.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

67g protein

25g fiber

2000 mg sodium (under 2300)

45 calories under goal

Tired after work and decided to take the night off from treadmill so I just had a little fruit and cheese and called it a night. My protein is way lower than usual but I've been on the high side for long enough I'm not too worried.  Reminding myself that rest days are important too... I've been going hard recently and taking the night off feels weird. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I made a chicken burger in my air fryer using 6 oz ground chicken.  I filled it up with some sautéed onions and mushrooms, paprika and some of that no sodium lemon pepper seasoning.  I did add a small bun, slice of pepper jack cheese and plain salad mix (as a side dressed with only balsamic vinegar).  In total,  550-600 mg of sodium (and a lot less calories than that).  Didn't add a single speck of salt to any of it.  Holy hell that was good and actually very filling.  

Edited by fred_1_15301
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

67g protein

25g fiber

2000 mg sodium (under 2300)

45 calories under goal

Tired after work and decided to take the night off from treadmill so I just had a little fruit and cheese and called it a night. My protein is way lower than usual but I've been on the high side for long enough I'm not too worried.  Reminding myself that rest days are important too... I've been going hard recently and taking the night off feels weird. 

I couldn't remember if you were in the camp of occasional rest days are good.  You've been a machine and I think it's great that you're listening to your body and taking it easy from time to time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Today I made a chicken burger in my air fryer using 6 oz ground chicken.  I filled it up with some sautéed onions and mushrooms, paprika and some of that no sodium lemon pepper seasoning.  I did add a small bun, slice of pepper jack cheese and plain salad mix (as a side dressed with only balsamic vinegar).  In total,  550-600 mg of sodium (and a lot less calories than that).  Didn't add a single speck of salt to any of it.  Holy hell that was good and actually very filling.  

I just bought my dad a bunch of those seasonings based on your (and others here) recommendations.  He's on ultra low sodium and needs potassium, so he is excited about trying anything besides potatoes and bananas. Keep up the good ideas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I couldn't remember if you were in the camp of occasional rest days are good.  You've been a machine and I think it's great that you're listening to your body and taking it easy from time to time.  

There's no question that rest is important for recovery, I've just been trying to cross train most days. It's been a while since I took a day off altogether (I still did my hundred pushups and a few pull ups throughout the day but that's it].  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was 200.2 this morning - so close!  Not sure I’ll get back below 200 tomorrow but will soon.  I’d be killing it if not for my nightly bourbon(s).  Becoming addicted to bourbon collecting/hunting isn’t great for my weight loss but I’m still making progress.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love to see everyone killing it. 
 

I had another bad week after a good week. Went away to our mountain place for a week, snowed in with the kids, snd we both basically ate and drank whatever. In past years this would be the part where we just stop caring and keep doing that till next January. But not today. 

Instead I’m recommitting and doubling down. Sunday I’m joining the wife on a no alcohol stretch. Going to start rowing and doing push ups more regularly. And going to increase my calorie surplus to whatever number gets me to 2.5-3 lbs per week (not the 2 of MFP)—by my math I need to have a further caloric deficit of another 250-500 calories. (Really very easy here, as I was doing that much in 2-3 drinks of alcohol, so replace that with water and tea and flavored seltzer and I’m there already). 
 

Eight weeks. I am going to do this for eight weeks. At the end of 8 weeks I will have lost over 20lbs, and will basically be at my first goal, a 20-year low, and through a couple of the prior plateaus. I will then reassess.  Honestly, without alcohol for 8 weeks, which Mrs O is pushing me hard to join her on, which will help, this will be very very achievable. 
 

And it’s 8 weeks. Seriously. Who can’t do something for just 8 weeks. 
 

Going to stock the fridge with some more low cal frozen meals. They’re not the best food for you I know, but on a night when Mrs O makes spaghetti and meatballs or tacos for the kids and I’m tired and want something quick, pretty easy to nuke one for a light 300-400 cal dinner and they taste pretty good. But I’m largely going to go with the Chop’t salads I’ve been ordering in those situations. 

Looking at the calendar tomorrow. Gonna go buy a big printed one to hang on the wall and do that satisfying X off the boxes each day. 

“It's not about how many times you fall, but how many times you get back up.”

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Otisglad to have you back. Had a feeling the radio silence wasn't good but it is what it is. Kicking booze for a little bit will help a lot.  Crossing things off on the calendar, or clicking complete diary in myfitnesspal, or posting here, or texting your friend, or telling your wife... all those things are rituals that help you reinforce your habit. Love that you're choosing one that resonates with you. 

My own operation 220 by 2/20 has been stuck on 223 or 224 for about two weeks nos and I was 222.6 this morning... maybe 221 by 2/21 or 222 by 2/22 is still on tap. I've given up booze for lent so I'll be dry with you for most of the next 8 weeks and still hoping for 208 by Easter which is 6 weeks from now... I'm hoping I get a little more of that scale drop I've been waiting for or I might have to push back those plans...

I've also come to the conclusion that I have been under reporting my calories in my coffee. That's changed now that I'm measuring my creamer and not adding sugar. I don't think it explains the stall but it won't hurt to fix that number.

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Do you have any travel scheduled the next 8 weeks? 

None. I have to look at a calendar and plan for any even small obstacles. But I think it’s the perfect 8 weeks to do this. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nov 30: 234.4

Jan 1: 224.0

Feb 2: 217.8

Feb 20:220.0

Totally fell off the wagon the last 3 weeks, was down to 214 and then I stopped walking, started drinking 2 beers each night, was having dessert and gasp, eating breakfast. Stepped on the scale today and recommitted to the plan.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ex-ghost said:

Nov 30: 234.4

Jan 1: 224.0

Feb 2: 217.8

Feb 20:220.0

Totally fell off the wagon the last 3 weeks, was down to 214 and then I stopped walking, started drinking 2 beers each night, was having dessert and gasp, eating breakfast. Stepped on the scale today and recommitted to the plan.

Glad you are recommitted.  That’s the beauty of all this — if you have a bad stretch, the plan is simple.  You don’t need to rethink and come up with a new plan.  Just have to go back to what works.

You got this.

Edited by Alex P Keaton
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Otis said:

Love to see everyone killing it. 
 

I had another bad week after a good week. Went away to our mountain place for a week, snowed in with the kids, snd we both basically ate and drank whatever. In past years this would be the part where we just stop caring and keep doing that till next January. But not today. 

Instead I’m recommitting and doubling down. Sunday I’m joining the wife on a no alcohol stretch. Going to start rowing and doing push ups more regularly. And going to increase my calorie surplus to whatever number gets me to 2.5-3 lbs per week (not the 2 of MFP)—by my math I need to have a further caloric deficit of another 250-500 calories. (Really very easy here, as I was doing that much in 2-3 drinks of alcohol, so replace that with water and tea and flavored seltzer and I’m there already). 
 

Eight weeks. I am going to do this for eight weeks. At the end of 8 weeks I will have lost over 20lbs, and will basically be at my first goal, a 20-year low, and through a couple of the prior plateaus. I will then reassess.  Honestly, without alcohol for 8 weeks, which Mrs O is pushing me hard to join her on, which will help, this will be very very achievable. 
 

And it’s 8 weeks. Seriously. Who can’t do something for just 8 weeks. 
 

Going to stock the fridge with some more low cal frozen meals. They’re not the best food for you I know, but on a night when Mrs O makes spaghetti and meatballs or tacos for the kids and I’m tired and want something quick, pretty easy to nuke one for a light 300-400 cal dinner and they taste pretty good. But I’m largely going to go with the Chop’t salads I’ve been ordering in those situations. 

Looking at the calendar tomorrow. Gonna go buy a big printed one to hang on the wall and do that satisfying X off the boxes each day. 

“It's not about how many times you fall, but how many times you get back up.”

Glad you are back.  When I’ve had a bad couple days, it really sucks to go back to basics.  But somehow, it actually works.    MFP app works.  Tracking it all and being accountable to this group works.

You got this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Welcome back Otis. You can do this.  Quitting booze for 8 weeks will be the ticket to a successful 8 week plan.   Most of us make poor decisions after a few drinks.  

I’m just not sure I’m ready to commit to long stretches with no booze.  Especially when I’m making progress and still drinking.

Anyway - 199.9 this morning :pickle: 

But I’ve had a lot of alcohol today 👎

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

110g protein 

48g fiber

3082mg sodium?

70 calories under

Yoga, treadmill, lifting, 100 daily pushups, pull ups off and on throughout the day. I'm already up from three assisted pull ups to 7, but my form is crappy.  Not totally sure about calories or sodium- most of my calories were lunch at a greasy spoon diner for my kid's reward takeout,  and had to guesstimate everything. I didn't add any salt, so hopefully the sodium wasn't that high but we shall see.  I ordered a variety pack of salt substitutes for myself and will try to review them later for those of us who are watching it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rascal said:

Wrong thread, but I'm struggling with energy levels for the past 6+ months and consequently motivation.

This can be the right thread. Everyone is struggling with energy and motivation right now. But this is a rare opportunity to embrace the suck and do the sucky things that we know we need to do so we can enjoy ourselves when or if things get back to normal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Down 4.6 pounds the last 2 weeks...really the last 3 weeks since starting noom and being much better about logging my meals and sticking to eating better.  First week I lost, but the Super Bowl derailed that a bit...got back to it and the weight keeps coming down.

It has helped me change a few of my habits of how I eat...when I eat...and some of what I eat.  Have been substituting some things out that I knew I should, but until really logging it well I had not done.  First is sugar and cream in coffee.  Started measuring how much I put in...and have been slowly lowering how much each week.  May never get to black coffee...but finding I want and need it less sweet all the time.   Definitely drinking way more water than I was...and had already added this in, but I find I do enjoy a cup or two of black or green tea in the afternoons (and Im not even british).  That has replaced grabbing a diet caffienated soda.  Not even sure the last time I had a soda at all.  One of the biggest things is it has had me really looking at portions.  Measuring things out more now (and getting used to not having to measure and eyeballing a true portion).  Before I was eating ok...just too much as I didn't really care about the real portion size vs what I was eating.  Trying to be honest and really log it has made me see just what portion sizes of what I eat should be.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Missed 220 by 2/20 by a day. Finally got some weight drop after a couple weeks of stagnation. 220.6 on 2/21 and more importantly 208 by Easter is back in play. 

I'm posting my weekies on Mondays, still missed, weighing in at 220.2 yesterday.  Hope to make up for it by getting to 215 by my 50th (3/11).  Got some good staples for my meal prep right now.  Eating 100% vegan Mo-Fr and IF anywhere between 16/8 and 20/4.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

I'm posting my weekies on Mondays, still missed, weighing in at 220.2 yesterday.  Hope to make up for it by getting to 215 by my 50th (3/11).  Got some good staples for my meal prep right now.  Eating 100% vegan Mo-Fr and IF anywhere between 16/8 and 20/4.

That’s a solid plan.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

168g protein

63g fiber

2663mg sodium (2300 goal)

360 calories under goal

Ran a MAF 5k. 100 pushups. Hour of really hard yoga. No sugar in my coffee.   Got a blood pressure monitor and used it probably 6 times today, it was better than I had thought. Going lower sodium recently, exercising a ton and losing weight probably doesn't hurt. Who knew?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

168g protein

63g fiber

2663mg sodium (2300 goal)

360 calories under goal

Ran a MAF 5k. 100 pushups. Hour of really hard yoga. No sugar in my coffee.   Got a blood pressure monitor and used it probably 6 times today, it was better than I had thought. Going lower sodium recently, exercising a ton and losing weight probably doesn't hurt. Who knew?

Nice.   Looking at your numbers and being honest about what I've done the past week, I really need to make a couple of healthier eating changes still.

Averages for the past week:

Daily calories = 1900 (gross, not net)

Protein = 100g

Fiber = 25g 

Sodium = 1900mg

I feel good about sticking to my overall caloric goals AND keeping sodium intake at a reasonable level.  That said, I'm clearly eating too many empty calories -- not enough protein (for muscle gain) and not enough fiber.  More veggies, more lean protein.  Need to eat a more substantive breakfast - minimize cereal intake.

Open to any suggestions from others.  I'm at an inflection point and need to make the next round of changes stick.  Being honest about the details above makes me feel uncomfortable, but it's what I have to do.

 

Edit to add:  I've maintained my weight the past 3 weeks.  Didn't have any scale with me for 2 of those weeks, but best I can tell it has held steady plus/minus 2 pounds of my ideal weight.  But.......that's still with way too little muscle and way too much fat.

Edited by Alex P Keaton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Nice.   Looking at your numbers and being honest about what I've done the past week, I really need to make a couple of healthier eating changes still.

Averages for the past week:

Daily calories = 1900 (gross, not net)

Protein = 100g

Fiber = 25g 

Sodium = 1900m

If it helps here are the foods I'm eating - usually some combination of chicken breast, ground turkey, shrimpm or scallops (don't last long in the refrigerator but ridiculously high protein for very few calories), salmon (decent protein but it's the omega 3s and flavor I'm after), skyr yogurt 15g per tub, double egg sandwich on a Thomas light multi grain engliah muffin 19g protein/8g fiber, raspberries (loaded with fiber), strawberries/blueberries (not great for macros but low calorie and awesome for anti oxidants, vitamin c, etc), avocado or guacamole (more healthy fats, store bought guacamole has lots of sodium but it's easy and tastes good), carrots/broccoli/ cauliflower (i steam a whole bag in the microwave a few times a week, good fiber and vitamins a and c plus good for liver health), oatmeal ( i usually use quaker instant high fiber or protein,, but real oatmeal is healthier), Mission Carb Balance tortillas (15g fiber and only 70 calories for the fajita size), and occasionally some protein shake with pure protein powder but I'm trying to limit those a little. I'll also have bananas, apples, black beans, potatoes, corn, butternut squash, tomatoes, cauliflower rice, and of course my creamer in my coffee. No cold cuts, very rarely beef or pork, sometimes one of my kid's chicken nuggets or fries because I'm human, and on Saturdays I take him for takeout and usually eat something bad but stay within calories and make it up the rest of the day. 

Yesterday i had coffee, egg sandwich, two quesadillas on carb balance tortillas with ground turkey, cheese and guacamole, chicken with butternut squash, and i also had a couple chicken tenders off my son's plate. That ended up around 1900 calories gross not net, and I did yoga and treadmill to get way under my goal of 1500 net. Not a ton of fruits and vegetables in there - most days I'll have a lot more than that - but I had a decent amount of avocado and squash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Averages for the past week:

Daily calories = 1900 (gross, not net)

Protein = 100g

Open to any suggestions from others.  I'm at an inflection point and need to make the next round of changes stick.  Being honest about the details above makes me feel uncomfortable, but it's what I have to do.

Edit to add:  I've maintained my weight the past 3 weeks.  Didn't have any scale with me for 2 of those weeks, but best I can tell it has held steady plus/minus 2 pounds of my ideal weight.  But.......that's still with way too little muscle and way too much fat.

If you're at your goal weight and trying to add muscle, you probably shouldn't do what I'm doing.

Most sources I've seen recommend alternating between cutting and bulking. Bulking means adding muscle by taking in a caloric surplus, cutting means losing fat and some muscle with a deficit. You need a surplus and enough protein to really gain muscle weight.  Otherwise you will make small gains but find your progress is pretty limited. 

I'm doing something called body recomposition, which is notorious in fitness circles for not working. I've been able to get away with it because I'm making newb gains in my lifting and I'm being really good with my diet, but usually it ends up doing a poor job of both muscle-building and weight loss. 

If you're trying to add muscle mass, while eating maintenance calories, and still doing a lot of cardio to end up in a calorie deficit, you're not going to make fast progress. You are probably better off eating clean foods and increasing your calories and protein, spacing out your protein intake throughout the day to about 25 to 35g per meal, and working with net calories not gross if you're going to continue with a lot of cardio. Do progressive strength training and follow a real program (buy any men's health magazine or Google push pull legs also known as p/p/l). 

Do this for a couple months and you'll add back a little bit of fat but a lot more muscle. Then you can do a cut phase if you're really worried about the fat. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

If you're at your goal weight and trying to add muscle, you probably shouldn't do what I'm doing.

Most sources I've seen recommend alternating between cutting and bulking. Bulking means adding muscle by taking in a caloric surplus, cutting means losing fat and some muscle with a deficit. You need a surplus and enough protein to really gain muscle weight.  Otherwise you will make small gains but find your progress is pretty limited. 

I'm doing something called body recomposition, which is notorious in fitness circles for not working. I've been able to get away with it because I'm making newb gains in my lifting and I'm being really good with my diet, but usually it ends up doing a poor job of both muscle-building and weight loss. 

If you're trying to add muscle mass, while eating maintenance calories, and still doing a lot of cardio to end up in a calorie deficit, you're not going to make fast progress. You are probably better off eating clean foods and increasing your calories and protein, spacing out your protein intake throughout the day to about 25 to 35g per meal, and working with net calories not gross if you're going to continue with a lot of cardio. Do progressive strength training and follow a real program (buy any men's health magazine or Google push pull legs also known as p/p/l). 

Do this for a couple months and you'll add back a little bit of fat but a lot more muscle. Then you can do a cut phase if you're really worried about the fat. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

Thanks, that all makes sense.  I’m tracking net calories too (and not doing as much cardio of late, because it has been too cold to leave the damn house).   The protein spacing has been mentioned a bunch in this thread - it is the single biggest thing that I need to change.   
 

edit to add:  I’m following a strength training program that a friend who is a personal trainer has put together.  It really sucks and I hate it, but have committed to doing it.  And I need to track macros like fiber and sodium, because it has been an issue for me historically.

2nd edit:   This is exactly why I’m posting details.  I need help and advice to make the necessary changes.  And I need accountability.  Thx BF.

Edited by Alex P Keaton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...