What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (2 Viewers)

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day: 220.0 to 212.0

March 1 to March 31: 210.6 to 207.8. 

I need a few days to mentally reset. Going to take the next few days and think about what's next. I'm not planning on going on a bender or anything, just want to refresh after 4 months and consider my next goal and timing. 
I'm doing the same in 4 days, maybe we can reset together. I've mentioned my plan to stay with my current calorie goal of lose 2 lbs per week, but give myself 3500 "bonus calories" weekly that I can use any time I want so I'm actually losing 1 per week. I have no idea how well that will work but I'm going to try it for a while.

173g protein 

44g fiber 

3122mg sodium

Ran on the treadmill at 7mph. I was capping out at about 2 miles at 7mph a month ago.  I slowed down a bit around 28 minutes but finished a full 5k in under 27 min and could have gone further if I wanted to. MAF runs have definitely been helping. 

Just 3 more days until Easter 

173g protein 

44g fiber 

3122mg sodium

Ran on the treadmill at 7mph. I was capping out at about 2 miles at 7mph a month ago.  I slowed down a bit around 28 minutes but finished a full 5k in under 27 min and could have gone further if I wanted to. MAF runs have definitely been helping. 

Just 3 more days until Easter 
173g of protein is really amazing.  Jesus.

Good to see the MAF runs making a difference.  I try hard to slow down but.....man, I just can't go slower than about a 10:15 pace.  It's just brutally boring.

Glad that so many people are making progress.  It's awesome to see.  I'm toggling back and forth in a 2-lb range basically.  Laser-focused on building upper body strength, doing more core work, a couple yoga workouts each week, and continuing to run 3-4x per week.  Also doing the 100 pushup plan.  (up to 150-175 pushups per day; haven't been able to do 100 in a row yet)  Eating healthier -- more protein, fiber, fruit, veggies.......less processed food and sugar in general.   

Thanks again to everyone in this thread.  Even though I'm not posting as much lately, still check it every day as a reminder to remain on track and be accountable.   A couple weeks back my weight popped up a bit (due to massive M&M consumption), so I just went back to what worked before.   Set lower daily calorie goals, stopped buying any M&Ms, started eating apples for a snack.  Two weeks later, presto, back in a good rhythm.  If this thread went silent, I'm not sure my willpower would be enough to keep going without the daily reminder that other people are doing so much good work in here.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 12        194.4                -31.7                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1648
  • Mar 19        191.8                -34.3                  -2.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1470
  • Mar 26        191.3                -34.8                  -0.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1671
  • Mar 27        192.0                -34.1                                         1470
  • Mar 28        191.1                -35.0                                         1680
  • Mar 29        191.3                -34.8                                         1470
  • Mar 30        190.6                -35.5                                         1520
  • Mar 31        191.8                -34.3                                         1470
  • Apr 1          190.4                -35.7                                          1750
Not sure where the big bump yesterday came from (or went for that matter). Would love to see 18X by Easter, as we are having a family lunch and I won't have good control over portion sizes. It's probably time for a cheat day anyway as I haven't had one in a while and I seem pretty stagnant.  

105g protein

34g fiber

3908mg sodium 

I ate like #### today. Ate more of my kid's lunch than he did, ate one of his cookies, made him hot dogs and had one for myself, and still ate most of my normal food.  Managed to stay under calories and still do ok for my numbers considering the crap I ate but I'm definitely hitting the diet wall. The scale hasn't been moving like I'd hoped but i did some good quality popping so I'm optimistic. 

2 days to Easter

Alex P Keaton said:
173g of protein is really amazing.  Jesus.

Good to see the MAF runs making a difference.  I try hard to slow down but.....man, I just can't go slower than about a 10:15 pace.  It's just brutally boring.

Glad that so many people are making progress.  It's awesome to see.  I'm toggling back and forth in a 2-lb range basically.  Laser-focused on building upper body strength, doing more core work, a couple yoga workouts each week, and continuing to run 3-4x per week.  Also doing the 100 pushup plan.  (up to 150-175 pushups per day; haven't been able to do 100 in a row yet)  Eating healthier -- more protein, fiber, fruit, veggies.......less processed food and sugar in general.   

Thanks again to everyone in this thread.  Even though I'm not posting as much lately, still check it every day as a reminder to remain on track and be accountable.   A couple weeks back my weight popped up a bit (due to massive M&M consumption), so I just went back to what worked before.   Set lower daily calorie goals, stopped buying any M&Ms, started eating apples for a snack.  Two weeks later, presto, back in a good rhythm.  If this thread went silent, I'm not sure my willpower would be enough to keep going without the daily reminder that other people are doing so much good work in here.
The thread seems to have quieted down a good bit. I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes when I post my updates and I'm sure corp does too. But I figure it's good for me to feel like I have to post and maybe it's good for other people to see the thread get bumped and get reminded. So hopefully we all keep each other honest. I know I'll need some help because I'm fully prepared to go on a bender.

MAF runs are boring but at least they take longer.  In all seriousness they are great for watching TV on the treadmill and there is zero question my cardio health is much, much better after slowing things down.  My MAF pace is now faster than your 10:15 pace that's your lower limit... I don't know how long that took because I was just running 5.3mph on the treadmill for a while, ran outside with a fitbit and realized my heart rate wasn't going up then seeing my time at the end and realizing it was 6mph. But if I can do it at 210 I'm sure you can do it even faster at your weight if you commit to it for a little while. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread seems to have quieted down a good bit. I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes when I post my updates and I'm sure corp does too. But I figure it's good for me to feel like I have to post and maybe it's good for other people to see the thread get bumped and get reminded. So hopefully we all keep each other honest. I know I'll need some help because I'm fully prepared to go on a bender.

MAF runs are boring but at least they take longer.  In all seriousness they are great for watching TV on the treadmill and there is zero question my cardio health is much, much better after slowing things down.  My MAF pace is now faster than your 10:15 pace that's your lower limit... I don't know how long that took because I was just running 5.3mph on the treadmill for a while, ran outside with a fitbit and realized my heart rate wasn't going up then seeing my time at the end and realizing it was 6mph. But if I can do it at 210 I'm sure you can do it even faster at your weight if you commit to it for a little while. 
It's really just an unwillingness to slow down and run at 12 or 13-min pace for months and months.  I'm very comfortable running at a 9:30 pace and able to run a lot faster than that 1x per week -- but since I don't ever use a heart monitor, zero idea what my heart rate is.   Mrs APK is letting me use her watch this weekend with a heart monitor -- so this will be a good test for where I'm at.   If it's really bad....I might be willing to make the leap to MAF.    

edit to add:  I run outdoors, which makes it even more boring to run slow

Thanks for keeping the thread going.  I read it every single day.

Sustainability is hard. Persistence will benefit yourself and X% of others though.

It's really just an unwillingness to slow down and run at 12 or 13-min pace for months and months.  I'm very comfortable running at a 9:30 pace and able to run a lot faster than that 1x per week -- but since I don't ever use a heart monitor, zero idea what my heart rate is.   Mrs APK is letting me use her watch this weekend with a heart monitor -- so this will be a good test for where I'm at.   If it's really bad....I might be willing to make the leap to MAF.    

edit to add:  I run outdoors, which makes it even more boring to run slow

Thanks for keeping the thread going.  I read it every single day.
:finger:

Sorry dude for bailing. Tried of pissing in the wind. 

Jan 1   274.4

Feb 1   256.4  - 18.0 lbs

Feb 23 252.2 - 22.2 lbs

Feb 25  254.4

Feb 27  253.9

Feb 28  254.0 - 20.4 lbs

Jogged / walked 26.2 miles yesterday and managed to gain 0.1 lbs.  It was a trudge at the end and ended up taking 7 hours.  Expected, as I was in no physical shape to tackle that.
March 1. 250.9 - 23.5 lbs

pegged my actual calories at 2000 a day this month and smell to be losing about a pound a week.  Been picking up the running and sticking with the lifting. 19 hours hiking, 17 hr weight training, 8 he running, and 1.5 he multi sport last month. That should have been good for 32000 more cal or 8 pounds. 

kind of makes sense. 2000 a day no exercise is going to cause me to gain a pound a week. 1000 cal a day is good for 2 pound loss a week. Falls in line with what I’ve seen in the past. 

It's really just an unwillingness to slow down and run at 12 or 13-min pace for months and months.
Yeah, I was wondering to myself how long is it going to take me to get from a 13:30 min/mile shuffle to something respectable. I'm holding myself back and the super short stride sometimes hurts one of the muscles on the outside of my ankle. And I'm still probably going to fast since my average HR is like 145-147 BPM. Ugh.

It was about a month ago that Fred challenged me to try it and it's okay, but sometimes I struggle mentally with the plodding because I know I can go faster. I don't get bored like some of you have mentioned just because we live in a really pretty area and I could spend all day outside. It's just it feels so darn dumb. But I did another shuffle today will probably give it a while longer, while continuing to mix in regular runs. Just need it to get a little warmer and for the sun to come up just a little bit earlier so I can take my son on stroller rides first thing in the morning. 

March 1. 250.9 - 23.5 lbs

pegged my actual calories at 2000 a day this month and smell to be losing about a pound a week.  Been picking up the running and sticking with the lifting. 19 hours hiking, 17 hr weight training, 8 he running, and 1.5 he multi sport last month. That should have been good for 32000 more cal or 8 pounds. 

kind of makes sense. 2000 a day no exercise is going to cause me to gain a pound a week. 1000 cal a day is good for 2 pound loss a week. Falls in line with what I’ve seen in the past. 
Man, from my vantage point this looks freaking awesome.  Down 23.5 pounds (8%) in 2 months is amazing.   

Yeah, I was wondering to myself how long is it going to take me to get from a 13:30 min/mile shuffle to something respectable. I'm holding myself back and the super short stride sometimes hurts one of the muscles on the outside of my ankle. And I'm still probably going to fast since my average HR is like 145-147 BPM. Ugh.

It was about a month ago that Fred challenged me to try it and it's okay, but sometimes I struggle mentally with the plodding because I know I can go faster. I don't get bored like some of you have mentioned just because we live in a really pretty area and I could spend all day outside. It's just it feels so darn dumb. But I did another shuffle today will probably give it a while longer, while continuing to mix in regular runs. Just need it to get a little warmer and for the sun to come up just a little bit earlier so I can take my son on stroller rides first thing in the morning. 
Fred knows his stuff and @gianmarco has suggested the same thing.  He forced me - or strongly encouraged me - to run slower so that my body will recover better.   I was running too fast on recovery runs, and thus wasn’t making any improvement.   If I had fully taken his advice a year ago, I’d be one year further ahead of where I am now......

Anyway, it seems to have worked for two guys I trust.  So that is worth something to me.  Now I just need the willingness to change.

Fred knows his stuff and @gianmarco has suggested the same thing.  He forced me - or strongly encouraged me - to run slower so that my body will recover better.   I was running too fast on recovery runs, and thus wasn’t making any improvement.   If I had fully taken his advice a year ago, I’d be one year further ahead of where I am now......

Anyway, it seems to have worked for two guys I trust.  So that is worth something to me.  Now I just need the willingness to change.
I've done this before and the 12s eventually become 10s and then 9:45s (and I'm a slow dude).  When you can break 10s with zone 1 effort, it really sets you up well to attack your fast runs.  While a 4.5 hour marathon is nothing special, it's a good feeling to know that you can at least complete one comfortably with minimal training if the sub 10s in you are at an effort equivalent to what would be a fast walk now.

3 months and I always consider the first 8 junk and water so really 16 in 3 months.
Aren’t you lifting a bunch too?   Mrs APK treaded water for about 6-8 weeks and was highly frustrated, but 6-8 weeks later she’s put on muscle, dropped weight and looks great.   The first 1-2 months though, she was really pissed off because “the weight wasn’t coming off.”   Reality was that she was trading fat for muscle.

Anyway, losing 5-6 pounds a month is nothing to sneeze at.   Steady progress is a wonderful thing.

Still hanging tough. Intake was good. Limited booze all weak. Lots of lean protein, veggies and salad. Had Poke bowl last night with salad. Usually breakfast is egg beaters with salsa.   Was getting in 10-13K steps not including golf when I walked but had a break on the Peleton. Rode yesterday and noticed the difference today. Honestly I’m happy with where I’m at now but it’s lifestyle so don’t want to limit myself with a number. I can keep going.  Just going to keep doing what I’m doing and see where it takes me. About 197. Not bad since my heaviest ever was 242. Corp has gotten down to 190. I want to get there too

IIRC Gian had his lightbulb moment about 8 weeks in, but he was draconian about not going over 140. I recall him accepting that he always needed to walk any uphills because he couldn't do them without flying past 140. That eventually changed, but it's because he was so rigid about his approach for those 8 (?) weeks.

IIRC Gian had his lightbulb moment about 8 weeks in, but he was draconian about not going over 140. I recall him accepting that he always needed to walk any uphills because he couldn't do them without flying past 140. That eventually changed, but it's because he was so rigid about his approach for those 8 (?) weeks.
That is good to know!    Well, my test begins today......

I've been running for a long time, even when I was fat I'd still run off and on. After a longer period of off than usual I was struggling to run more than a couple minutes back in June 2019, but by January last year I was running 5ks at decent speed.  I tried MAF, saw some immediate improvement, then the pandemic hit, I didn't take it as seriously, when I did my runs they were always fast runs and I kind of leveled off - I kept running,  but I wasn't really improving. 

I started back at MAF around the same time I suggested that you should. And 5.3mph - 11 minutes and change per mile - seemed like the magic number for keeping me in the 140bpm range.  So I stayed at that pace for a month or two and didn't try to speed up, just running probably 6 times a week for about 3 or 4 miles, entirely on the treadmill. 

Then the weather improved and I started running outside, and noticed that every run I seemed to be going about 10 minut3 miles instead of 11 plus.

Running at this pace, I took a wrong turn and ran over 7 miles when my high water mark recently was 4.5.  The general rule is that you're not supposed to increase your distance by more than ten percent per week, and i usually try to stick to that.  I ran the whole thing at about 10 minute miles.  My heart rate stayed low for almost the entire run, and I finished without injury or being super fatigued. I felt like I could have run the next day but took a day off just in case. It wasn't a personal record distance, but it's the farthest I've run in quite a while. 

Then earlier this week, I ripped off a 5k at 8:40 pace and could have gone further and/or faster. Again, it wasn't a personal record, but it's one of the faster runs I've had in quite a while, and now that I know I can do that I'll push myself further.

Building up my base made me stronger and faster and I have better endurance.  I'm not running to impress anyone. I'm old and fat (although a lot less fat than I was before) but I'm in the best shape I've been since I was in high school and I want to keep improving safely. If I were training for a race I'd probably do more fast runs per month than I do now but I'd still want to do these slower runs because I'm seeing the results. 

I know it seems dumb to run slow but my slow has gotten faster and my fast is getting faster and my far is getting farther.  Try upping your speed just a little and see if it changes your heart rate. Without pushing a carriage. 

Nothing interesting to share but I decided to post anyway. 

I've been continuing my 10k+ steps/day since January 1st so I'm nearing the 100 consecutive day mark. While it should be next Sunday, April 11th, there were two days in there that I was close to 10k but fell asleep on the couch and didn't quite make it. Oh well, I'm not beating myself up over it because there were countless days where in "normal" times, I would have just said F-it, I'm going to be on my computer the rest of the night or watching TV or going to bed early. But nope, I got my ### off the couch, or out of the chair, laced up the shoes and went outside for a walk. Somedays that was a 4k step walk (~40 minutes), other times it was a 1.5k (15 minute) walk. Hell, there have been some instances where I walked further than I should have on my out and back or a larger loop than anticipated and just hopped on an electric scooter after I hit 10k for the day. Hey, 10k was the goal so that's what I did. LOL.

The weight hasn't changed much over the past month but I'm okay with that. Still hovering around 220. My realistic goal is 210. My stretch goal is 200. I know it's going to happen at some point as long as I continue to watch my sugar/carb intake and keep up the daily excercise. I have noticed that my resting heart rate has dropped from the high 60's (67-69) to the mid 60's (63-65) over the past couple of months. I'll take that as some progress also. 

1/4/21 -- 251.4    First goal is 240

Stay at home full time taking care of my elderly father, so need to stop wandering into kitchen for a snack and continue to use the rowing machine.

1/7/21 -- 248.6   Not snacking, need to row more

1/12/21 -- 247.6   Turn 55 on 1/30 so will see if we can get to 240 by then
Jan 31

Well not unexpectedly after last week I did not hit 240 on my bday yesterday.  On the bright side I was 247 so only up 1 pound from low, but still below my 252 start and next week is shaping up to be a bit easier with more ability to exercise.

April 2nd

Hit 239 today.  Watching what I eat, trying to avoid wandering into the kitchen, and getting up and moving more.  Also, I see this thread most everyday and just seeing it helps to keep me on track.  Congrats to all of you sticking with it and getting healthy and thanks for pulling me along.  Have a soccer tournament in Vegas May 1st, so goal will be to weigh 230 for that.  Keep up the good work everyone.

Jan 31

Well not unexpectedly after last week I did not hit 240 on my bday yesterday.  On the bright side I was 247 so only up 1 pound from low, but still below my 252 start and next week is shaping up to be a bit easier with more ability to exercise.

April 2nd

Hit 239 today.  Watching what I eat, trying to avoid wandering into the kitchen, and getting up and moving more.  Also, I see this thread most everyday and just seeing it helps to keep me on track.  Congrats to all of you sticking with it and getting healthy and thanks for pulling me along.  Have a soccer tournament in Vegas May 1st, so goal will be to weigh 230 for that.  Keep up the good work everyone.
First goal met and it's always awesome to see a new digit on the scale congratulations on breaking through. 

Momentum gaining 

Try upping your speed just a little and see if it changes your heart rate. Without pushing a carriage. 
Funny that you say this because I did just the opposite this morning. I hadn't been out with my kid in the morning since pre-daylight savings. But we went out just after sunrise and I did my typical path that I do when I run with him. I was able to stay at 140 avg BPM (but with more variability than I'd like) at 14:54 pace. Last time I did this same route with the kiddo it was about the same average heart rate but closer to 16 min/mile. If I don't have the kid I typically do a different route (hillier) and can do that at about 13:30 and 145-147 BPM.

I think I'll play around with going a little faster and see what that does to my HR. But I'm also going to try some other runs keeping my HR at 140 and seeing how slow that is. The first week or so I was super self-conscious about other people blowing past me while running, but I've somewhat gotten over that. Point is, I'm usually fine going slow (though not always, like yesterday). I've had a great week eating and exercising so I'm going to just keep plugging along and getting healthy. 

i check it every day, or every other day. Not much for me to post, but i am keeping along. I didn't think my daily logs would be interesting. Was going to add i went on a bender eating the other weekend, and man it was enjoyable, but i paid for it. Quick lessons learned is weighing yourself is definitely not the most reliable. there are so many variables, it just isn't the most reliable thing to measure if you are heading in the right direction. Ate like a pig for like an 18 hour "grazing" of food and came out of it up 3 pounds. Felt awesome about that considering how hard it can be to burn off pounds, but found that it was not reliable. Basically took about a week and a half to try and get back to where i was pre-gorge, and the weight numbers just kept going everywhere. 

i have been consistent in intermittent fasting and trying to exercise 4-5/week. still a bear trying to find time with a 3 year old, but getting it in when i can. might pick up some more exercise if i can, but the weight loss has slowed quite a bit over the last month. Seeing the weigh-ins on my app with a line graph makes it better, but was crushing losing weight in January and Feb. basically lost about 21 pounds in those 2 months. Unfortunately March has slowed a bit and only lost about 7 pounds total that month. i guess looking at it now and comparing, i did better than i thought it was. 

Just sucks when you are dieting and disciplined and don't see results for a week or 2. i will say the good thing is checking in this thread or other one's and knowing this happens with a lot of people. So not too bad. I will post another quick one becase i have a question and see this has gotten verbose :)

So what is everybody's take in here on MCT Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar? i don't see too bad of a thing with Apple Cider Vinegar, but with the MCT oil i think i may have slowed my weight loss a little with it. Checking the calories and fat in it, i am not sure i am trimming calories overall as much as i thought.

Any quick thoughts on does it work, how you should use it, etc.? i have seen a bunch on it, so i know some different ideas with it (e.g. purpose is it fills you up and the the MCTs are supposed to pass through body well and not add to fat. but i did see a few things that said close to the opposite of that). 

So if adding MCT oil gets me higher on calorie count should i just ignore it or is it helpful. I just got off of a 20 hour fast, was going to have 2 protein bars and a shake with MCT oil, and realized it was close to 1100 calories already (one RX bar is 210, another i just had that tasted great, was 380 though, and teh shake plus MCT oil was close to 600+ calories). 

Basically just wondering, am i doing a good thing having a break like that or should i do better focusing more on calories? i add a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich or some thing like a bowl of cereal at times too, but not too heavy usually if i will have 2 meals in  a day.

So what is everybody's take in here on MCT Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar? i don't see too bad of a thing with Apple Cider Vinegar, but with the MCT oil i think i may have slowed my weight loss a little with it. Checking the calories and fat in it, i am not sure i am trimming calories overall as much as i thought.

Any quick thoughts on does it work, how you should use it, etc.? i have seen a bunch on it, so i know some different ideas with it (e.g. purpose is it fills you up and the the MCTs are supposed to pass through body well and not add to fat. but i did see a few things that said close to the opposite of that). 

So if adding MCT oil gets me higher on calorie count should i just ignore it or is it helpful. I just got off of a 20 hour fast, was going to have 2 protein bars and a shake with MCT oil, and realized it was close to 1100 calories already (one RX bar is 210, another i just had that tasted great, was 380 though, and teh shake plus MCT oil was close to 600+ calories). 

Basically just wondering, am i doing a good thing having a break like that or should i do better focusing more on calories? i add a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich or some thing like a bowl of cereal at times too, but not too heavy usually if i will have 2 meals in  a day.
Unless you're on keto, I don't see a reason for adding coconut oil to your diet especially if you're looking to drop lbs.   Bigger picture wise, more meat and greens.  Cut the bread and jelly.  Sub the cereal for steel cut oats.  

Unless you're on keto, I don't see a reason for adding coconut oil to your diet especially if you're looking to drop lbs.   Bigger picture wise, more meat and greens.  Cut the bread and jelly.  Sub the cereal for steel cut oats.  
:thumbup:   Thanks. Cutting the oil out for now. I weep a bit thinking of cutting out bread and jelly and my cereal, but i will try for a bit with going with no oil and see if i get going better. Next plateau i will make that next jump, but not excited to lose out on my Rice Krispies and PB&J.

on side note, Rice Krispies are pretty horrendous nutritious wise. not sure why the heck that is because it isn't like the cereal has some taste or whatever, but will slowly start to go to something else after seeing the nutrition on that box is just crap. 

:thumbup:   Thanks. Cutting the oil out for now. I weep a bit thinking of cutting out bread and jelly and my cereal, but i will try for a bit with going with no oil and see if i get going better. Next plateau i will make that next jump, but not excited to lose out on my Rice Krispies and PB&J.

on side note, Rice Krispies are pretty horrendous nutritious wise. not sure why the heck that is because it isn't like the cereal has some taste or whatever, but will slowly start to go to something else after seeing the nutrition on that box is just crap. 
Instead of thinking "fat and sugar are bad", I like to think "complex carbohydrates and fiber are good" and "protein is good" and "vitamins, minerals and fatty acids are good". 

When I eat, I have the opportunity to put good things into my body that will help it work better.

When I have lots of protein and get rest I don't feel sore after working out. When I have lots of complex carbs and fiber, I poop better and I don't feel tired after big meals and I don't get hungry, like, at all.  When I eat vitamins and minerals and fatty acids I have more energy and I probably get fewer of the weird things that happen once one reaches a certain age. 

It's not just that sugar is bad, it's that I'm denying myself those other good things when I eat it. I still eat it sometimes but I like having lots of that other stuff so I have to either eat more calories or eat less good stuff and either way that sucks. 

If i just had berries fruit and eggs for breakfast and boneless skinless chicken breast with vegetables for dinner every night id be in pretty good shape.  In reality thats almost exactly what I've been doing, I just swap eggs for yogurt and chicken for shrimp or other lean proteins depending on the day. That leaves me enough calories each day that I can atill have "fun foods" if I want, like sharing pizza with my kid or having the occasional cookie. But I only have so many fun calories to use especially if I'm trying to lose weight. 

Rice Krispies aren't bad for you because they're made of sugar, they just don't have anything in them that makes you healthier. Theyre a "fun food".  You can have them in small doses but then you cant have that pizza and still lose weight. Otherwise you're going to have to either eat more overall or sacrifice something healthy to make room for them. 

And if you aren't eating lots of good healthy fruits and vegetables and lean proteins, you're going to have fewer calories available for fun foods than you could.

Conversely, the better the foods I eat when I'm being healthy, the more I have left for fun. The reason I eat berries isn't just that I like them, but also that they're packed with good stuff for a small amount of calories. I can eat some rice Krispies with berries and milk and feel like I'm getting away with something because the meal is relatively healthy. 

If you watch what I've been posting, every day I post my protein and fiber and sodium and don't even mention that I stayed under calories because it's almost a foregone conclusion once I'm in stride. But keeping my fiber and protein numbers in mind helps make sure that I'm focused on getting the good stuff not just avoiding the bad, and that makes the whole process much easier and more enjoyable to me than don't eat this and you can't have that. 

I still read this thread often.  It may not be every day but it is definitely a few times each week.   Im still trying to lose a few pounds but don’t have anything interesting to post.  I was doing well for about a month and then ate too much for a week or so. Got back on track last week and will probably drop a pound this week.  

Following the weight loss that has been occurring in this thread is motivation.   Some of you guys are really getting after it and are impressive.  

68g protein

27g fiber

3333mg sodium 

Not a great day of eating... ate my fruits and vegetables but protein was low although I'm ok with that because I didn't do any exercise, either. 1491 calories, hoping that helps on the scale tomorrow morning. 

One... more... day.... until... Easter 

Date night with the wife tonight. Going to have a bigass porterhouse. I'm in good shape on calories, but expecting to be a little heavier the next few days with all that beef in my belly. Can't wait!
I love a good steak house. Steak was amazing. Dessert was probly 800 calories and I don't care. Brownies, ice cream, and chocolate syrup... Yes please.

Just got one of these and used it for the first time. 

Weight 221.2 (at lunchtime)

BMI 32... my goal is to hit 208.6lbs by Easter which would put me at 29.9 and go from obese to overweight 

Protein is 14.5% 

Visceral fat 13%

BMR 1889 calories myfitnesspal has me at 1500 daily to lose 2lbs/week

Muscle mass 145.5

Body fat 29.9% - I can only imagine what it was when I started... getting under 30 would have been a nice milestone

Metabolic age 43 (I'm 45, suck it average 45 year olds)

Will be interested to see if I can get that muscle mass up, I know it's not super accurate but it would be nice to see a trend upwards. I'm hoping that 208.6 lbs will get my BMI down to 29.9 but also get my body fat below 28 percent, even though both are arbitrary goals it would be cool to see that kind of validation. 
208.5 this morning!

People have questioned whether they can exercise and eat back the calories, it worked for me.  I tentatively set this goal in January but posted it a month and a half ago and I've been losing almost exactly 2lbs per week just following myfitnesspal. I've fluctuated some but it's pretty much like clockwork for me as long as I am honest and don't cheat.  

That said I will definitely be cheating the next few days before getting back to work. 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 12        194.4                -31.7                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1648
  • Mar 19        191.8                -34.3                  -2.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1470
  • Mar 26        191.3                -34.8                  -0.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1671
  • Apr 2           189.3                -36.8                 -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1507
  • Apr 3           188.7                -37.4
180s have been reached!  I really can't believe it.  I'm just going to continue to do the same thing. It would be cool to get to 186.1 so I could say I lost an even 40, and then it would be to cool to get to 183.9 so BMI (which I don't believe in) would call me normal instead of overweight. But if I don't get there I'm not really worried about it.

Next stage will be to improve my overall health.  I've been walking but would like to incorporate some running.  I haven't run in a long time because all the extra weight was harmful for my joints.  I tried a little jog but oddly my shoulder will likely prevent that for now (the jogging causes my shoulder to dip, which then triggers the nerve pain in it).  Cycling had been my primary form of exercise but reaching out for handlebars is also causing shoulder pain, so until this thing gets corrected it looks like I'm a walker.

For those discouraged with a bad week, or even if you are losing but its just not as fast as you think it should be, slow and steady wins the race. Find something that works for you and then stick with it.  We're all different so different things work for others, but I firmly believe a good plan executed fully is better than a perfect plan executed partially.

Yesterday's shuffle with the kiddo: 

14:54 min/mile, 140 BPM 

Same route again pushing the stroller today:

14:05 min/mile, 134 BPM

Faster and lower heart rate. Nice!
I need to learn more about the Fred shuffle, I know several pages ago y'all typed a lot about it.  Sounds like I could do it without triggering my shoulder.

208.5 this morning!

People have questioned whether they can exercise and eat back the calories, it worked for me.  I tentatively set this goal in January but posted it a month and a half ago and I've been losing almost exactly 2lbs per week just following myfitnesspal. I've fluctuated some but it's pretty much like clockwork for me as long as I am honest and don't cheat.  

That said I will definitely be cheating the next few days before getting back to work. 
This is such fantastic news!  Testament to discipline, and you've been at this way longer than most in the thread have been.  Thanks for encouraging and inspiring us!

I need to learn more about the Fred shuffle, I know several pages ago y'all typed a lot about it.  Sounds like I could do it without triggering my shoulder.
https://philmaffetone.com/method/#:~:text=MAF stands for Maximum Aerobic,Increased energy and endurance

Eli5 Run so slow you feel dumb

Tlde Try to keep your pulse under 180 minus your age when you run.  Adjust that number up 5 if you're already in good cardio shape or down 5 or 10 if you have any injuries or other health concerns.  Do this for most of your runs until you see improvement. 

When I first started, my pace was about 4.5 miles an hour (13-14 minute miles).  I can walk faster than that.  It improved into the high 4s pretty quickly and then low 5s for a long time and recently I've been able to run 6mph (10 minute miles) without my heart rate getting too high. 

I'm about to go for a long run outside at about 6mph for a little over 7 miles and expect to stay around 140 for most of it although I'll probably hit 150 by the final mile. That's not bad for an overweight 45 year old who was obese literally yesterday.  

I'm about to go for a long run outside at about 6mph for a little over 7 miles and expect to stay around 140 for most of it although I'll probably hit 150 by the final mile.
68 minutes, average heart rate 144, highest was 151. It's a hilly route and a windy day.  I'm pretty happy with that run. My hip is a little tight but otherwise I think I could go out there and run a few more miles.  

Don’t know if I posted it in here but holy crap I just figured out the most simple and basic weight loss “hack” for me, and it’s been staring me in the face my whole life. 

Close the kitchen at 8. No calories or booze after that.  Only doing it a few nights so far, but it’s totally doable, and if I can stick with this I am certain I’ll lose weight for this alone.  My worst time has been the time on the couch after dinner/before bed. The snacks, wine, etc., all totally wasted unhealthy calories. Surely affecting my sleep too. 

Stupid to take so long to have this revelation, but let’s see where it takes us. Keep exercising, eating right during the day, and close up shop at 8. Still plenty of time for me to overtime my usual spring failings and actually get right by summer.  Let’s go. 

bostonfred said:
https://philmaffetone.com/method/#:~:text=MAF stands for Maximum Aerobic,Increased energy and endurance

Eli5 Run so slow you feel dumb

Tlde Try to keep your pulse under 180 minus your age when you run.  Adjust that number up 5 if you're already in good cardio shape or down 5 or 10 if you have any injuries or other health concerns.  Do this for most of your runs until you see improvement. 

When I first started, my pace was about 4.5 miles an hour (13-14 minute miles).  I can walk faster than that.  It improved into the high 4s pretty quickly and then low 5s for a long time and recently I've been able to run 6mph (10 minute miles) without my heart rate getting too high. 

I'm about to go for a long run outside at about 6mph for a little over 7 miles and expect to stay around 140 for most of it although I'll probably hit 150 by the final mile. That's not bad for an overweight 45 year old who was obese literally yesterday.  
Clicked on the link, looks like my initial target HR will be 128 lol (47 years old, don't workout).  Do you start walking when you approach that number?  This will be good for me as I get winded very quickly when I start to jog.  Also I have a big hill to climb to go home, I guess I should walk that as well.

Clicked on the link, looks like my initial target HR will be 128 lol (47 years old, don't workout).  Do you start walking when you approach that number?  This will be good for me as I get winded very quickly when I start to jog.  Also I have a big hill to climb to go home, I guess I should walk that as well.
I don't totally know how to answer because I'm not super strict like some people are. I've had good results my way but maybe they'd have been better being more strict. My number at 45 should have been 135, but I let myself go to 140. Now that I'm in better cardio shape it should be 140 but I let myself go to 145. The low end number is somewhat arbitrary and I suspect that the bigger difference is between a 27 and 47 year old being 20 bpm apart than a 45 and 47 being 2 bpm apart. 

But yes I would walk. A lot.  Fast walking and alternating between running and walking will both help you a lot if you get winded from jogging.  Right now, jogging is your "hard exercise" and you're training to be able to do more of it. When you get good at jogging, running will be your hard exercise.  When you get good at running, running faster will be your hard exercise. 

The tendency is to want to do the hard stuff every time, but you'll get more benefit from doing the stuff you're good at for a long time and mixing in some of the hard stuff as you improve.  A world class runner does long runs with some speed intervals once or twice a week. Weight lifters do 8, 12 or 15 reps most of the time to improve their one rep max and occasionally do a couple reps of their hardest weight. 

I'd be completely comfortable with going for a walk, warming up for a while and then jogging t a comfortable pace on a nice straight area with a good sidewalk and no hill until my heart rate went up, then walking again.  I don't think you'd blink or look twice if you were driving and saw a 47 year old man doing the same thing.  Trust the process and you'll see the results. 

You might want to try a couch to 5k or c25k program. There are a few variants and lots of websites/apps but t's a well known program that's really good for people who are around where you are, and it starts with run/walking before working its way up. If they tell you to run at a conversational pace, that's a MAF run. 

I hate myself because I'm now a recruiter like all the other running nerds.  

Users who are viewing this thread