What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

FBG26 said:
Oof. 211 this morning. Totally expected given the fact that I've not exercised much and have eaten like I was 20 the last few weeks. Just pissed at myself for giving back 4 pounds. No time like the present to get back on track. 
Good job recognizing it and getting back on track.  No reason to wait another day - you know what to do.

DJackson10 said:
Okay need some help/advice: I need to lose about 20LBs by May 23. I need to fit in my suit that I've only wore a few times since I got it 4 yrs ago. My Dads best friend son (who is barely a week younger then me is the groom) and I'm part of the grooms men. 

Anyway I walk a lot at work and will be mostly helping my dad clean up a property to get ready for a seller as some know about. I have a soda for lunch every day and trying to cut out the crap ( working in a grocery doesn't help a diet at all) by trying to eat more yogurts (we got some really good clementines Ive been eating too), and pre made salads. I've started drinking some orange Mango type juice and BAI Water. My Morning consists of Eggs with peppers and seasoning with coffee with half and half and creamer. My Dinners are right now whatever my mom makes which is healthy as she's trying to eat better herself. 

I consume maybe 2 beers a night IPAs.Porters, Corona's that sort of thing. I don't get much exercise outside of my work walking too and from and being at work (helping my dad should help in the coming weeks) and I've been trying to drink more water. A friend of mine managed to loose wait by cutting sugar out of his diet and caffeine outside of his morning coffee. 

Anyone have any suggestions on weight loss? I'd like to be able to lose this weight and keep it off. I'm not a person who's gonna go to the gym everyday either. I would do some working out with weights at home outside when the weather is nice but outside of that not much. I'm looking for maybe a program I can keep track of on my phone as an app too. Coworker of mine is doing a workout program with some friends that she follows through an app. So Id like something to that. Any suggestions on foods and stuff to cut out or eat would be great too. 
@bostonfred got a bunch of us using the MyFitnessPal app to track our food and calories.  It lets you set a target weight goal and if you enter all the food you eat, it will tell you how much more/less you can eat each day to hit your goal.  I’ve found the structure really helped me lose weight and so have a bunch of others in here.

If you go back to the start of this thread, @bostonfred and others share a ton of ideas for healthier eating.    

My biggest change has been cutting down on the SIZE of my snack portions.  I know that I’m always going to eat a donut, or chips, or ice cream.  But the key for me is to avoid eating 3 donuts, or a 1/2 bag of chips, or a whole pint of ice cream.  And the MyFitnessPal app helps with that, because before I even eat something, I enter it in the app.  And it tells me how many calories that portion is.  And how many calories I’ll have left if I eat 3 donuts for breakfast.

A bunch of other folks in here can offer way better advice.   That’s just some of what has worked for me.

DJackson10 said:
Okay need some help/advice: I need to lose about 20LBs by May 23. I need to fit in my suit that I've only wore a few times since I got it 4 yrs ago. My Dads best friend son (who is barely a week younger then me is the groom) and I'm part of the grooms men. 

Anyway I walk a lot at work and will be mostly helping my dad clean up a property to get ready for a seller as some know about. I have a soda for lunch every day and trying to cut out the crap ( working in a grocery doesn't help a diet at all) by trying to eat more yogurts (we got some really good clementines Ive been eating too), and pre made salads. I've started drinking some orange Mango type juice and BAI Water. My Morning consists of Eggs with peppers and seasoning with coffee with half and half and creamer. My Dinners are right now whatever my mom makes which is healthy as she's trying to eat better herself. 

I consume maybe 2 beers a night IPAs.Porters, Corona's that sort of thing. I don't get much exercise outside of my work walking too and from and being at work (helping my dad should help in the coming weeks) and I've been trying to drink more water. A friend of mine managed to loose wait by cutting sugar out of his diet and caffeine outside of his morning coffee. 

Anyone have any suggestions on weight loss? I'd like to be able to lose this weight and keep it off. I'm not a person who's gonna go to the gym everyday either. I would do some working out with weights at home outside when the weather is nice but outside of that not much. I'm looking for maybe a program I can keep track of on my phone as an app too. Coworker of mine is doing a workout program with some friends that she follows through an app. So Id like something to that. Any suggestions on foods and stuff to cut out or eat would be great too. 
Ok let's start with this- losing 20 lbs per month is not healthy. Losing 20 lbs in one month is difficult but possible. Losing 15 to 17 lbs in the first month of a diet is very possible to do in a healthy way and you might even look like you lost 25 plus.

Right now you probably have several pounds of water weight.  I'd guess probably 5 to 8 lbs that will go away quickly.  That water weight is made of two things that are easy to get rid of- water you're using to process the alcohol in your daily beers, and water that sits with your energy reserves which are the carbs you have for quick fuel, called glycogen.  When you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body digs right into that glycogen supply and you will often see immediate results because your belly flattens, your skin looks a little tighter and your body generally feels better. Same thing with cutting out the alcohol.  

Download the myfitnesspal app and enter in your age, current weight, goal weight, and details.  Set it to the maximum, lose 2lbs per week.  And choose sedentary even if you aren't.  The app will calculate your daily calorie goal with this information.  

Every time food goes into your body for the next month you will log the meal in the app.  Be careful to log exactly what you eat.  If you have something with a serving size of 4 oz and there are 4 pieces in the package and it says the package weighs 1.2 lbs, you can enter 1.1 servings when you eat or just pick the littlest piece in the package but try not to eat 5 oz of food and log 4 oz.  You don't have to weigh it on a food scale, but be brutally honest with yourself because there's no lying in calorie counting your body will always know. A lot of people struggle at first because they eat things with butter or oil and forget to log the calories.  I find it much easier to buy packaged foods or anything pre portioned.  

That doesn't mean you eat nothing but salads or have to cut out all sugar or carbs. In the long run you really should try to get enough fiber and protein but for one month that's probably not even a huge concern. Priority one is keeping under your calorie goal every single day for one month. If you go to McDonald's, get a burger or fries, not a burger and fries.  Or better yet get an egg mcmuffin with no side and no soda.  If you go to taco bell get two hard shell tacos and no mountain dew or chips. It helps to have foods that feel like you are cheating when you're actually staying under calories. 

If you do that for a month you'll have problems ####ting, so you should get some fiber.  Probably way more than you're used to.  Eat a handful of fresh raspberries a day, some oatmeal for breakfast, some broccoli and cauliflower with dinner... it helps you feel full and it makes you poop.  Drink a ton of water too.  You'll flush out a lot of yuck from your system.  

And I hate to say it but no beer for a month.  If you are trying to lose weight fast just cut it out. You can do one month.  The amount of bloat you'll lose will make a huge difference and it's probably a good idea anyways if you're a daily drinker. 

If you can stick to that you will probably lose close to 15 lbs in the next month.  It will be close.  Then the last week in particular, be extra cautious with sodium. I don't just mean salty foods.  Bread has salt. Salad dressings have tons of salt. Lots of foods have sneaoy amounts of sodium. If you can stay in the 1500mg range for sodium per day, you may lose a little bit of extra water weight just before your big day. You don't need to do it for the whole month but a week will make a big difference. 

Once you finish this diet you will see some of that weight come back very quickly because you have only really lose about 8 lbs of fat. There really isn't a healthy way to lose 20 lbs of fat in a month. But you will see that your gut goes down fastest because you are no longer full of extra food and beer so you will look like you lost a bunch. 

If you want to do it the right way and lose weight permanently it takes time and this is the thread for you.  I'm down about 70 Corp is down over 40 and a lot of us are having success in here that is long term and sustainable.  Join on in and see how much fun it is to look better and be healthier. 

Note that i am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I know I was eating a lot of processed foods and was including white rice in many meals. I am 5-7 and weighted in at 191 on January 12th. I knew I was heavier, but didn't realize I was that high. Over the last year, with being at home more due to Covid-19, I definitely became in-active.

Anyways, this was more than a wake up call.

I used to lift weights, and am back at. Starting from scratch and rebuilding myself with workouts for shoulders, triceps, biceps and chest. I also am doing daily walks (a few short walks a day currently will shed about 150 calories a day).

I was going to do sit-ups and had started doing 4 sets of 10 about 4 days a week, but am now reading that they don't provide much (or any value). Is this true?

Food habits have changed. Eating lots of vegetables, and fruits now and keeping an eye on portions. Doing Chicken breast, etc.

Always looking for more ideas.

Since January 12th, and I realize this is the easy part, I'm down to about 179.6 as of this message. My goal is to get to at least 165. Some of these sites suggest 155 for my size, but this will get difficult quicky.

Anyone else with diabetes and how you deal with this both mentally and physically?
Just had my A1C test, about 3 months later. I went from 6.7 to 5.3 so now within normal A1C ranges and in re-mission for diabetes as this was a giant wake up call and I had to improve my eating and being exercising. My blood pressure was also better, and it's become difficult to lose weight, but weighed in this past Wednesday at 171, meaning I have lost 20 pounds in just over 3 months. Still shooting to get my weight down to about 165 so have work to do in that area. 

Overall, I've been sticking with my chicken, veggies, beans, soups, fruits, nuts, etc. Always looking for more variety, but with only a few bad meal days, I've stuck to this pretty well and now know what I need to do in the future.

I’m thoroughly sick of myself. I’ve gained back 5 pounds, so I’m back at 200. Have been eating a lot of junk and not exercising a lot lately, obviously. And eating out more. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Getting back in the saddle tomorrow. 

Ok let's start with this- losing 20 lbs per month is not healthy. Losing 20 lbs in one month is difficult but possible. Losing 15 to 17 lbs in the first month of a diet is very possible to do in a healthy way and you might even look like you lost 25 plus.

Right now you probably have several pounds of water weight.  I'd guess probably 5 to 8 lbs that will go away quickly.  That water weight is made of two things that are easy to get rid of- water you're using to process the alcohol in your daily beers, and water that sits with your energy reserves which are the carbs you have for quick fuel, called glycogen.  When you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body digs right into that glycogen supply and you will often see immediate results because your belly flattens, your skin looks a little tighter and your body generally feels better. Same thing with cutting out the alcohol.  

Download the myfitnesspal app and enter in your age, current weight, goal weight, and details.  Set it to the maximum, lose 2lbs per week.  And choose sedentary even if you aren't.  The app will calculate your daily calorie goal with this information.  

Every time food goes into your body for the next month you will log the meal in the app.  Be careful to log exactly what you eat.  If you have something with a serving size of 4 oz and there are 4 pieces in the package and it says the package weighs 1.2 lbs, you can enter 1.1 servings when you eat or just pick the littlest piece in the package but try not to eat 5 oz of food and log 4 oz.  You don't have to weigh it on a food scale, but be brutally honest with yourself because there's no lying in calorie counting your body will always know. A lot of people struggle at first because they eat things with butter or oil and forget to log the calories.  I find it much easier to buy packaged foods or anything pre portioned.  

That doesn't mean you eat nothing but salads or have to cut out all sugar or carbs. In the long run you really should try to get enough fiber and protein but for one month that's probably not even a huge concern. Priority one is keeping under your calorie goal every single day for one month. If you go to McDonald's, get a burger or fries, not a burger and fries.  Or better yet get an egg mcmuffin with no side and no soda.  If you go to taco bell get two hard shell tacos and no mountain dew or chips. It helps to have foods that feel like you are cheating when you're actually staying under calories. 

If you do that for a month you'll have problems ####ting, so you should get some fiber.  Probably way more than you're used to.  Eat a handful of fresh raspberries a day, some oatmeal for breakfast, some broccoli and cauliflower with dinner... it helps you feel full and it makes you poop.  Drink a ton of water too.  You'll flush out a lot of yuck from your system.  

And I hate to say it but no beer for a month.  If you are trying to lose weight fast just cut it out. You can do one month.  The amount of bloat you'll lose will make a huge difference and it's probably a good idea anyways if you're a daily drinker. 

If you can stick to that you will probably lose close to 15 lbs in the next month.  It will be close.  Then the last week in particular, be extra cautious with sodium. I don't just mean salty foods.  Bread has salt. Salad dressings have tons of salt. Lots of foods have sneaoy amounts of sodium. If you can stay in the 1500mg range for sodium per day, you may lose a little bit of extra water weight just before your big day. You don't need to do it for the whole month but a week will make a big difference. 

Once you finish this diet you will see some of that weight come back very quickly because you have only really lose about 8 lbs of fat. There really isn't a healthy way to lose 20 lbs of fat in a month. But you will see that your gut goes down fastest because you are no longer full of extra food and beer so you will look like you lost a bunch. 

If you want to do it the right way and lose weight permanently it takes time and this is the thread for you.  I'm down about 70 Corp is down over 40 and a lot of us are having success in here that is long term and sustainable.  Join on in and see how much fun it is to look better and be healthier. 

Note that i am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 
Thanks. I already started with salads at work today. Had an egg with veggies in it. Had my coffee. Drank mostly water and orange Mango drink. Probable not the best for dinner but I had a piece of fried chicken breast and water and nothing else 

@bostonfred got a bunch of us using the MyFitnessPal app to track our food and calories.  It lets you set a target weight goal and if you enter all the food you eat, it will tell you how much more/less you can eat each day to hit your goal.  I’ve found the structure really helped me lose weight and so have a bunch of others in here.

If you go back to the start of this thread, @bostonfred and others share a ton of ideas for healthier eating.    

My biggest change has been cutting down on the SIZE of my snack portions.  I know that I’m always going to eat a donut, or chips, or ice cream.  But the key for me is to avoid eating 3 donuts, or a 1/2 bag of chips, or a whole pint of ice cream.  And the MyFitnessPal app helps with that, because before I even eat something, I enter it in the app.  And it tells me how many calories that portion is.  And how many calories I’ll have left if I eat 3 donuts for breakfast.

A bunch of other folks in here can offer way better advice.   That’s just some of what has worked for me.
My issue is my junk food intake. To another extent the beer but definitely junk food and other non healthy food. I'm known to eat Half a bag of chips and dip within one sitting. 

For the app do I just enter the food or do I need to know the calories and such? 

My issue is my junk food intake. To another extent the beer but definitely junk food and other non healthy food. I'm known to eat Half a bag of chips and dip within one sitting. 

For the app do I just enter the food or do I need to know the calories and such? 
For the app, you can search for a specific food (for example Cheetos) and enter that plus the amount you are eating, and it will give you the calories.  Sometimes you have to make a guess on how much you eat.  Like when I have pizza from my favorite local pizza spot, I have to guess how much pizza I’m eating and what the calories are using a generic pizza in the app.

It is pretty decent to use.  It doesn’t take much time to use.

Thanks. I already started with salads at work today. Had an egg with veggies in it. Had my coffee. Drank mostly water and orange Mango drink. Probable not the best for dinner but I had a piece of fried chicken breast and water and nothing else 
Here's the thing - I have no idea how much you actually ate yesterday from this description.  You're younger than me so I'm guessing you get about 1600 calories but the app will give you a better estimate.

One egg is about 70 calories. Was it only one egg or did you have an omelette?  If it's cooked in butter then that's not as good but probably only 50 calories. Some peppers might add like 20 or 30 calories to it max. Cheese would add more. 

Coffee doesn't really have calories.  Maybe 5 for flavored coffee.  But you said you use half and half or creamer.  How much? Is it one of those little single serve cups, or are you pouring it in from a carton/jug?  My morning coffee is two tablespoons of creamer and two tablespoons of milk and I keep a measuring scoop near the coffee maker.  Two large cups of coffee ends up at 171 calories - 140 from the creamer, 31 from the milk. 

Salad is great.  Very low calorie and some fiber.  But lots of salads have cheese and meat and croutons that add to the calories plus some dressings can be hundreds of calories. Balsamic vinegar has practically no calories but balsamic vinaigrette can be hundreds. For a long time the salad at McDonald's had more calories than the burgers or fries. I prefer salads that are packaged and tell me how many calories are in them so I don't have to guess but if you can't do that then get the dressing on the side and try not to use it all. I dip my fork in the dressing it gets enough flavor per bite. 

I don't know what is in your orange Mango drink. A bottle of Nantucket Nectars orange Mango is 260 calories.  That's a lot.  A can of coke is 150.  But if you're getting orange Mango flavored water it might be zero calories. I just don't know from reading your description. 

And the fried chicken for dinner... I don't know how big a piece it was or if it was a wing or breast or chicken fingers or how it was made or where you got it.  If you go into myfitnesspal and enter fried chicken you'll find a bunch of options between 250 and 400 calories but if you enter fried chicken KFC it will tell you how much is in one KFC wing.  Did you have any sides?

And you didn't mention the beer... did you have it yesterday?  Or any other snacks?

It sounds like you did well but it's hard for me to tell over the internet 

This is the thing - the app will make this all much easier. There's a bar code scanner so you can enter packaged foods easily. There is a huge database of foods like international delights creamer and fried chicken from Applebee's and lots of smaller and mid sized restaurants or if you can't find an exact match then you can come close.

If your calorie goal is 1600 then you want to eat about 1600, maybe a little less but not like 1000. 

Today I'm going to have my coffee for 171 calories, a bowl of skyr yogurt (130) with raspberries strawberries and blueberries (89) and granola (130) for a total of 530 calories for breakfast. 

I'm going to have two slices of Papa Gino's cheese pizza which is smaller and not much cheese so it's only 230 calories per slice.  That will put me at 990 for the day. 

For dinner I will grill a boneless skinless chicken breast (230) and microwave a bag of carrots broccoli and cauliflower (105) with some sweet chili sauce (45) and a baked potato (161) with half a tablespoon of butter (50). That will put me at 591 for dinner and 1581 for the day. 

I might even have a snack in there because I plan to go for a run today.  And I'll drink plenty of water and maybe a can for coke zero or a bottle of gatorade (140). 

But those are three very filling meals, and I don't feel like I'm dieting when I'm having pizza.  I'm getting lots of protein and fiber and all kinds of goodness from the berries and vegetables.  And it will lose weight. 

It really helps to plan it out like that. Treat it like a game where your goal is to eat the best food without going over calories. It's kind of fun even. 

Last edited by a moderator:

1.   Put the app on your phone. 

2.  Follow the directions.  Enter your current weight, activity level, and weight loss goal per week.   Be realistic in your weight loss goals   Slow and steady is important.    

3.  Enter your food and exercise as accurately as possible throughout the day.  If you underestimate food intake purposely, you should not bother using the app.   

4.  When you have a bad meal or bad day, don’t give up.  It happens.  Learn from it and get back on the horse the next day.  One bad day isn’t the end but, stringing  bad days together will likely derail your plan. 

Good luck.  

Ok so real talk time....  I am fat....

I have lied to myself for too long.  I am about 5’10” and this morning I was 314#.  I wear a 3x shirt and can squeeze into 46” pants barely.  I have always been a big guy except in high school and most of college.  Recently I have become more and more aware of my size and my unhealthy habits. I always knew I was big and I didn’t eat the best but it’s finally really starting to kick in.  I am going to watch my son play in a golf tournament in an hour and instead of being excited I am worried about if they will have a cart available.

It hasn’t always been this way.  I was extremely health focused in my younger years, so I have a great deal of knowledge on proper eating, proper lifting technique, etc.  once I joined the working world though it all went out of the window.  Anyway enough drama.  Starting tomorrow I am back baby.  Mmm baby back ribs.... Wait sorry.  I am back on the train.  Starting this week with a focus on diet and nutrition.  A week later starting on light kettlebell workouts and some walking possibly.  Wish me luck.

I have lied to myself for too long.  I am about 5’10” and this morning I was 314#.  I wear a 3x shirt and can squeeze into 46” pants barely.  I have always been a big guy except in high school and most of college.  Recently I have become more and more aware of my size and my unhealthy habits. I always knew I was big and I didn’t eat the best but it’s finally really starting to kick in.  I am going to watch my son play in a golf tournament in an hour and instead of being excited I am worried about if they will have a cart available.

It hasn’t always been this way.  I was extremely health focused in my younger years, so I have a great deal of knowledge on proper eating, proper lifting technique, etc.  once I joined the working world though it all went out of the window.  Anyway enough drama.  Starting tomorrow I am back baby.  Mmm baby back ribs.... Wait sorry.  I am back on the train.  Starting this week with a focus on diet and nutrition.  A week later starting on light kettlebell workouts and some walking possibly.  Wish me luck.
Good luck!!! You can do it!!!

As ive mentioned before i started at 5'10" 284.6 lbs and I had gone from obese to overweight by Easter. It is doable.  It sounds like you already know what to do but maybe this thread can help with the accountability and motivation for you the way it has for me and others. If you're looking for a good goal how about 299 by Father's day?  If you push you might even be able to get there by memorial day.  I don't know about you but I find it helpful to have short term goals so I don't get overwhelmed by the long term goal.  

I’m thoroughly sick of myself. I’ve gained back 5 pounds, so I’m back at 200. Have been eating a lot of junk and not exercising a lot lately, obviously. And eating out more. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Getting back in the saddle tomorrow. 
I'm up since Easter too and have been a little frustrated with myself too.  It usually happens to me when I don't feel any urgency.  The problem I run into is that I feel like I can lose the weight so I don't need to do it right now.

One thing that helps is to set a specific goal and stick to it but that only works when you actually want that goal more than you want to eat and not exercise.  It helps to think about why you want to lose weight. What are you looking forward to about it?  Wearing something that doesn't fit or going to the beach or hitting a certain number on the scale or some specific thing about your weight you'd like to fix?  

One goal that helps is to set a "canary in the coal mine" weight where you've put on too much and need to undo it before it spirals.  200 is a good round number for that.  So is 5 lbs of weight gain.  You hit that number and you get back to it. That’s a really good thing because all of us have put on more than 5 lbs before and not righted the ship.  So you're doing a good thing here.  

I like it when you post in here please do it more often.  

Welcome to the group.  You can do this.   

There is nothing we can do about the past, so I would just focus on the present and what you plan to do for the future. I have very little discipline, that's why I had to make a plan that was so simple even I could follow it.  Protein shake in the morning, chipotle bowl for lunch, 8 chicken nuggets for dinner.  1470 calories. If it didn't look like one of those things, I knew I couldn't have it. When we had a "snow" event (which in the south was the prediction of possible snow the next day) I bought 2 chipotle bowls and 2 things of nuggets so I could eat my plan the next day.

You can do it. Once you get started it really starts adding up because the more you see the results, the more you believe you can do it. I never lost a big chunk of weight, but week after week of 1 or 2 pounds added up.  I'm pulling for you!

FBG26 said:
Oof. 211 this morning. Totally expected given the fact that I've not exercised much and have eaten like I was 20 the last few weeks. Just pissed at myself for giving back 4 pounds. No time like the present to get back on track. 
I've been thinking about what happened the last few weeks and why. I think my biggest issues were getting knocked off routine and stress. Routine got messed up visiting the in-laws, which by itself wasn't terrible. But then a few days after we got back my kids were such and home from daycare for nearly a week and I had primary childcare duty for most of those days while my wife worked. Then I was up late working a little trying to stay somewhat on top of things since I couldn't work during the day. I'm not sure how people stay home with the kids, so stressful. Fun, but man so they need constant attention. 

I already feel better after getting back to normal the last few days. Diet and exercise are back on track too. 

For the app, you can search for a specific food (for example Cheetos) and enter that plus the amount you are eating, and it will give you the calories.  Sometimes you have to make a guess on how much you eat.  Like when I have pizza from my favorite local pizza spot, I have to guess how much pizza I’m eating and what the calories are using a generic pizza in the app.

It is pretty decent to use.  It doesn’t take much time to use.
Set it up today. With my walking I ended up accumulating 160 extra calories from work today. Question are those extra Cals calculated automatically into you today for the day? 

Yeah I have some friend chicken I was gonna finish from work and have really not much of an idea how much it is so I guestimated that. Found out the Coconut water I drink only has 10 Cals so I can be pounded those all day. 

1.   Put the app on your phone. 

2.  Follow the directions.  Enter your current weight, activity level, and weight loss goal per week.   Be realistic in your weight loss goals   Slow and steady is important.    

3.  Enter your food and exercise as accurately as possible throughout the day.  If you underestimate food intake purposely, you should not bother using the app.   

4.  When you have a bad meal or bad day, don’t give up.  It happens.  Learn from it and get back on the horse the next day.  One bad day isn’t the end but, stringing  bad days together will likely derail your plan. 

Good luck.  
Set it up today. With dinner it looks like I have eaten under my calories or came close within 100 or so what my intake can be. Parfare yogurt, my water which was 10 cals, and two little Mandarin oranges. Breakfast was Honeynut CHeiroes with coffee, little half and half and some creamer but not much. I'm having some fried chicken with my last beer in the house at like 9P now, was able to add an extra 160 Cal for my walking and stuff at work today. Also wanted to get a quick snack at work (as I worked much later then I thought I would) and held off on the small travel container of Pringles after seeing the calories in it. Ended up eating PB sandwich crackers. 

You already took the tough first step in admitting theres a problem. so very good on your part 

So I was looking at some of the workout regimes on the app. I already have some lower body and hammy/feet exercises to deal with a weak hip. Looking for cardio stuff to work in there and maybe some core to help with the gut part as well as having more energy. I do walk a lot but I feel I tire out far too easy for someone who usually walks EVERYWHERE. 

Any suggestions on workouts? I'm looking for like a quick workout where I can burn some Cals as well and squeeze them in between work shifts as I'm working literally 6 days a week right now 

Should add I got some workout bands and some light weights are home but thats about it and not looking to go to the gym. Just some simple stuff I can do at home that are fun. 

Set it up today. With my walking I ended up accumulating 160 extra calories from work today. Question are those extra Cals calculated automatically into you today for the day? 

Yeah I have some friend chicken I was gonna finish from work and have really not much of an idea how much it is so I guestimated that. Found out the Coconut water I drink only has 10 Cals so I can be pounded those all day. 
It depends on how you've set up your profile.   At first I set my profile up as "active", which would mean that I'm walking and moving around a bunch at work.  But then I also was counting that as exercise, which meant I was double-counting my activity.  So I changed my settings to whatever the laziest/most inactive setting possible is.  (I don't remember what it was called)    So now I track my activity/steps/walking and enter it into the app like you did.

@bostonfred explains this better than I do, but that's the gist of it.

Alex P Keaton said:
It depends on how you've set up your profile.   At first I set my profile up as "active", which would mean that I'm walking and moving around a bunch at work.  But then I also was counting that as exercise, which meant I was double-counting my activity.  So I changed my settings to whatever the laziest/most inactive setting possible is.  (I don't remember what it was called)    So now I track my activity/steps/walking and enter it into the app like you did.

@bostonfred explains this better than I do, but that's the gist of it.
Well considering I do a lot of lifting and carrying stuff that heavy how I set it up I think I did pretty well. Some of the stuff I do at work could be considered exercise when its not related. So I think I set it up well. Today I ended up with 260+ extra calories 

I skipped Breakfast as I was late for work. Had a sandwich from Manhattan ( had to estimate on), small pear, Banana and Clementine for lunch with a Soda. Dinner I just ate late had Meatloaf, baked potato with butter and sour cream, green beans with some salt and butter. 

Give or take I can take on about 400-520 more calories at 9:30 tonight. So I did pretty well. With an off day tomorrow I'm helping my dad and I won't be walking as much (My store is huge so I get a lot of walking in over 20K steps today) but will be moving around tomorrow. Might have to pack a lunch possible. Gone through 32 OZ of water. I'm now drinking ice water out of a souvenir cup they give you at the games so not exactly what size OZ I should put on 

Also I got my first big challenge coming up May 8th a Saturday. My brother's girlfriend and him are having a catered Grad party (Post 2020 grad) and having everything catered. There's gonna be salmon or whatever fish wise but with my Autism I always feel comfortable around unfamiliar people (Gonna see a lot of her family I don't see there and never met) when I have some sort of adult beverage in my hand. Can I afford a "cheat" day at this point? The next day I have work and can definitely get that off but was wondering how I should handle this. 

Should've mentioned in my initial post yes My Autism/Aspergers hasn't helped me be the most reliant on getting weight off either and its harder for me to change a routine/eating habits. 

I don’t know what hormonal or behavioral abnormalities are going on but I’m back down to 197. I have been very strict the last few days. My routine is:

Breakfast- eggs

Lunch- simple salad/fruit

Dinner- whatever I make for the family, but small portions, no rice/potatoes/pasta. 

Dessert- my big problem is sugar/chocolate/candy so I’ve been making “nice cream” to fake myself into thinking I’m having chocolate ice cream. Frozen banana, 1 t cocoa powder, almond butter (2T), and a splash of almond milk. Blend it up in the food processor and it is good enough. 

It seems like if I stay out of restaurants I can do this. 

Haven't checked in lately. Basically have just been "maintaining". Weigh ins for the last couple of weeks bounce back and forth between 198 and 202. I am umpiring HS baseball games, which is doing 2 things - one is limiting running time, the other is I am not eating all that great. The 2 combined mean I'm pretty happy to not be gaining. The games do get in some exercise and the eating isn't totally out of control but definitely not where I need to be to keep losing. 

1-25.  201.4

4-26.  195.0

Finally reached my goal of 195 pounds a few days ago.  It took a month longer than I wanted but it’s still good to finally get there.   I need to lose a few more pounds but I may just hold steady and continue to hit the weights for a month.  
A month longer than expected to get to your goal......is better than going backwards!   Well done!!

DocHolliday said:
1-25.  201.4

4-26.  195.0

Finally reached my goal of 195 pounds a few days ago.  It took a month longer than I wanted but it’s still good to finally get there.   I need to lose a few more pounds but I may just hold steady and continue to hit the weights for a month.  
Tremendous work!

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 12        194.4                -31.7                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1648
  • Mar 19        191.8                -34.3                  -2.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1470
  • Mar 26        191.3                -34.8                  -0.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1671
  • Apr 2           189.3                -36.8                 -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1507
  • Apr 9           188.4                -37.7                 -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1607
  • Apr 16         187.1                -39.0                 -1.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1540
  • Apr 23         186.0                -40.1                 -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1572
I'm just going to post my weekly totals while "the streak" is still alive, but I did manage to hit that last goal that I would have thought was well beyond a 47 year old fatty.  183.8 this morning at 6'0 tall = BMI of 24.9 or Normal.  As I've mentioned I don't really think BMI is a good measure but it was nice to see normal instead of overweight.

I don't have any more real goals.  I'm only losing now because of good habits built up, and mainly it has just been portion control (even if I don't stick to Chickpotle) and increased activity. I think the better knowledge of protein and fiber has also contributed. Like others have said, you shouldn't really diet but instead change lifestyle habits, so I'm hopeful this sticks.

Lots of good work in here, keep it up all!

Hey, so I want to do a BMR test using MFP over the next couple weeks.  They are now claiming my ID doesn't exist at all.

It seems like I'm an isolated case here, since I'm facing a complete restart in a counting system is there any app that's now considered superior?

Hey, so I want to do a BMR test using MFP over the next couple weeks.  They are now claiming my ID doesn't exist at all.

It seems like I'm an isolated case here, since I'm facing a complete restart in a counting system is there any app that's now considered superior?
Most everyone here is really high on MFP, I used it for years so I never searched for an alternative.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                 Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                  -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                  -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                  -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Mar 5          195.9                -30.2                  -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1575
  • Mar 12        194.4                -31.7                  -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1648
  • Mar 19        191.8                -34.3                  -2.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1470
  • Mar 26        191.3                -34.8                  -0.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1671
  • Apr 2           189.3                -36.8                 -2.0                 Avg daily calories during period: 1507
  • Apr 9           188.4                -37.7                 -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1607
  • Apr 16         187.1                -39.0                 -1.3                 Avg daily calories during period: 1540
  • Apr 23         186.0                -40.1                 -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1572
I'm just going to post my weekly totals while "the streak" is still alive, but I did manage to hit that last goal that I would have thought was well beyond a 47 year old fatty.  183.8 this morning at 6'0 tall = BMI of 24.9 or Normal.  As I've mentioned I don't really think BMI is a good measure but it was nice to see normal instead of overweight.

I don't have any more real goals.  I'm only losing now because of good habits built up, and mainly it has just been portion control (even if I don't stick to Chickpotle) and increased activity. I think the better knowledge of protein and fiber has also contributed. Like others have said, you shouldn't really diet but instead change lifestyle habits, so I'm hopeful this sticks.

Lots of good work in here, keep it up all!
Looking at my graph I'm having issues with this. Too many carbs and fats still. I love my breakfast food and most days I'm eating lunch at work at my store which is a Grocery store of a major chain so I have options. Dinner is mostly what my mom makes anyway. Looking to add more protein and fiber at least in my mornings. to get a good head start on my day. 

Question: Should I being weighing myself everyday or once a week? 
There is no right answer to this - depends on your personality, your goals, your consistency and maybe some other things.  If I had to guess, the consensus is to weight weekly as daily fluctuations are common and sometimes a bad weigh-in can be demoralizing.  Personally, I weigh daily just as a reminder to myself to make health a priority and to make healthy choices.

Every day, multiple times per day 

You're a smart guy with a specific short term goal.  You benefit from as much information as possible right now.  Other people struggle with their feelings from losing weight and not seeing immediate results. They should weigh in once a week.  If a bad week will #### you up, don't weigh in once a week.  If a bad day will ruin your week, don't weigh in once a day.

But if you're learning how your body reacts to salty food and weighing in in the morning vs at night or before breakfast vs after or when you haven't pooped recently or after a big pee or whatever... then learn as much about yourself as you can. IMHO.  I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

I like to weight myself in the morning before breakfast every day.   Just as a way of A) reminding myself of my healthy eating & lifestyle goals, B) to get a weight estimate at the same time each day without the distortion of water intake or food intake that day.

Every day, multiple times per day 

You're a smart guy with a specific short term goal.  You benefit from as much information as possible right now.  Other people struggle with their feelings from losing weight and not seeing immediate results. They should weigh in once a week.  If a bad week will #### you up, don't weigh in once a week.  If a bad day will ruin your week, don't weigh in once a day.

But if you're learning how your body reacts to salty food and weighing in in the morning vs at night or before breakfast vs after or when you haven't pooped recently or after a big pee or whatever... then learn as much about yourself as you can. IMHO.  I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 
Weighing myself mostly in the morning after up and pooping for the most part. I'm trying to figure out how my body is reacting to certain foods. Had a bad day yesterday with calories as I "over ate" and should've held off on two things technically. 

Users who are viewing this thread