What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (7 Viewers)

What's your MFP group again? I got my account back and I'm trying to do a mini cut and re-establish my baseline MR.  Beach in one month, figure I can cut down from 170 to the low 160s.  Trying to do 2kcal with 170g protein, rest is yolo.  

FBG26 said:
Yesterday was my first run in about two weeks. Got out today as well. 400 calories under goal (after exercise). 

Motto: slow but steady. Can eat some oreos, but can't eat oreos like Otis. 
350 calories under goal today after a run. 

culdeus said:
This is a thought experiment on nutrient density, when framing the "don't eat sugar" argument it's always better to say "eat this stuff instead"  nutrient dense food by weight and calories are the "instead".  It seems like a no brainer, but for whatever reason it gets really dug in for some people. 

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/expert-advice/nutrient-density-index
I'm not sure it's super helpful here, unless I'm missing it. 

The second group is the "better" one for people here in the weight loss thread (according to the author) and the majority of foods in it aren't ones people want to eat on their own. The assorted greens are great for you but people aren't going to sit and eat spinach or brussel sprouts or lettuce, they are going to add dressing or croutons or cheese or butter whatever and defeat the purpose (and possibly bring in sugar).

All the various livers are non-starters for most people... That leaves celery, carrots, tomatoes, various peppers and various mushrooms. Incredible foods, I eat them every day but they're not near enough to fulfill daily requirements, so imo doesn't really do enough to counteract the "don't eat sugar" thing, aside to say it's better to snack on celery and carrots than sugar snacks, which.. yep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure it's super helpful here, unless I'm missing it. 

The second group is the "better" one for people here in the weight loss thread (according to the author) and the majority of foods in it aren't ones people want to eat on their own. The assorted greens are great for you but people aren't going to sit and eat spinach or brussel sprouts or lettuce, they are going to add dressing or croutons or cheese or butter whatever and defeat the purpose (and possibly bring in sugar).

All the various livers are non-starters for most people... That leaves celery, carrots, tomatoes, various peppers and various mushrooms. Incredible foods, I eat them every day but they're not near enough to fulfill daily requirements, so imo doesn't really do enough to counteract the "don't eat sugar" thing, aside to say it's better to snack on celery and carrots than sugar snacks, which.. yep.
I mean the angle here is as a general rule by weight or calorie leaning towards foods with more nutrients should be the goal, the elimination of sugar in that comes as a byproduct.  

My day yesterday was very similar to the day before, right down to the budgeting one more beer than I ended up drinking. 

1920 Calorie budget (did an 8k run), 1819 calories used

Green 662 calories - protein shake, apple, banana, 2x corn, Caesar salad

Yellow 519 calories - small pasta salad, pulled unpork, light beer

Red 638 calories - lightlife sausage, white bun, DIPA. 

----

Today I'll skip breakfast and I have a 9km walk and some circuit training planned which will allow for a cheat meal and some beer tonight to start off the weekend exercised and happy. 

Did a great job until dinner.......realized too late that we were meeting friends out for dinner tonight.   Haven't had a dinner out with friends since.....oh, a long freaking time ago.  Decided to just enjoy the meal and worry about it tomorrow.   I went into dinner with about 1400 calories available to consume.   Pretty sure I ate at least that much (based on rough estimates in the MFP app).   

Gotta wrap up the evening with 225 pushups, and then back on track tomorrow.    

On the plus side, I traveled to Pittsburgh and Cleveland for work this week and managed to keep on track each day despite work meals, etc.

Love the good news updates nice work all.  Can't wait to go do stuff again. I become "fully vaccinated" on Thursday and I've got a massage scheduled for Friday. 

I was good yesterday but Thursday I didn't run and went over... i think I'm ok with that.  Give myself extra calories on my rest day, and cut some out on my longer run days.  It's not what I'm used to, but this idea of having 1500 on Thursday and 2600 on Friday seems like it will get old quick. I'm getting my mileage up high enough now that I can even things out a little.  

Love the good news updates nice work all.  Can't wait to go do stuff again. I become "fully vaccinated" on Thursday and I've got a massage scheduled for Friday. 

I was good yesterday but Thursday I didn't run and went over... i think I'm ok with that.  Give myself extra calories on my rest day, and cut some out on my longer run days.  It's not what I'm used to, but this idea of having 1500 on Thursday and 2600 on Friday seems like it will get old quick. I'm getting my mileage up high enough now that I can even things out a little.  
Yeah, this is where I’ve been awhile now, trying to balance caloric intake on running vs non-running days.  I think you have the right idea.  I try to average it out, but that includes a real focus on not giving myself full credit for the calorie burn on days I run.  IMO the MFP app still isn’t quite calibrated properly, so I tend to discount my burn by 25-35%.

To your point, it is psychologically difficult to swing wildly from 1500 to 2500 calories, over and over.

Yeah, this is where I’ve been awhile now, trying to balance caloric intake on running vs non-running days.  I think you have the right idea.  I try to average it out, but that includes a real focus on not giving myself full credit for the calorie burn on days I run.  IMO the MFP app still isn’t quite calibrated properly, so I tend to discount my burn by 25-35%.

To your point, it is psychologically difficult to swing wildly from 1500 to 2500 calories, over and over.
Myfitnesspal has been really good for me with exercise calorie estimates but that might be because I'm so much heavier than you.  Could also be that my mileage was low enough that the inaccuracies didn't really add up. It's hard to say. I'm still not convinced that my watch gives me better data especially if I have to charge it so I'm not using their calorie burn estimates either but maybe I should.  I'm planning to do some light hiking with my kid this summer which will be some nice exercise and my mother in law is opening up her pool soon so we'll be there quite a bit.  No real idea how much any of those burn but I'll try to stay active most days and trust the app for the most part.  

I could just stop logging exercise calories, but I want to give myself more calories on days I do run because I want the reinforcement of running =  more food.  So I'm not going to just average it out to the same number per day no matter how much exercise I do, that will lead to me skipping or shortening my runs. 

Another option is to set myfitnesspal to lose 1 lb per week instead of 2 or change the setting from sedentary to active to give me my new calorie goal and then manually adjust my exercise calorie burn down.

Or maybe I'll just take a cheat day on my rest days and use all my calories on days I run. I've lost enough weight that maybe I don't need to rush the rest, and with everything opening up finally, I am going to want to go to chili's or some other garbage place once in a while.  I'm leaving the options open for now. 

136g protein

30g fiber

2334mg sodium

Breakfast coffee and an egg sandwich. Lunch a huge thing of berries, granola and 2.5 servings of yogurt before heading to the grocery store. One slice pizza for a snack.  Bowl of broccoli and shrimp with two pints Guinness for dinner.  35 min running.  

Calling it a day with 313 calories left over.  Might as well start banking some for the rest day/cheat day later in the week.  Tomorrow I plan to do a longer run and mow the lawn but also barbecuing for my brother in laws birthday so I'll find ways to use the extra calories. 

Did two 2.5 mile runs today and ended up right around goal for calories. I shuffled the first two miles of the second run and then needed to get home ASAP* so I sprinted the last 0.7 in just over 5 minutes.  I haven't run that fast (even for a short distance) in years. 

*I realized a fireworks show was about to start basically right over my house, which would freak out my kids and my wife would need help. 

The streak is over!  Was on vacation for a week at the beach with really fresh seafood and just decided to eat.  Didn't get home until this afternoon so the official weigh in will be tomorrow but I'm guessing I'm up 4 pounds to around 188.  Shoulder surgery following on Tuesday so I'll probably be sparse for a little awhile.

Alex P Keaton said:
Corporation said:
The streak is over!  Was on vacation for a week at the beach with really fresh seafood and just decided to eat.  Didn't get home until this afternoon so the official weigh in will be tomorrow but I'm guessing I'm up 4 pounds to around 188.  Shoulder surgery following on Tuesday so I'll probably be sparse for a little awhile.
Amazing run.  Fun to be a witness to it!
Damage wasn't actually as bad as I feared.  Up 2 pounds to 185.8.  Surgery will be the next hurdle but after 6 to 8 weeks of rehab I'm hoping to actually be able to do more than cardio.

145g protein

9g fiber not good... going to be a bad poop day I guess 

1147mg sodium plus whatever I used from the salt shaker

Had a barbecue for my brother in law's birthday today (mostly an excuse for my kid to play with everyone and have a barbecue).  Ate a burger and steak tips and grilled potatoes then had scallops with veggies and wine for dinner... but I skipped breakfast, and did some exercise to make up for it. I am teetering on going over calories and might have ended up over but not too badly. 

Today might have been the first time I've used a salt shaker since @fred_1_15301 mentioned kicking the salt... I honestly can't remember the last time I used one.  I used to salt everything.  That has probably helped me avoid serious problems later.  Thank you again for that.

Damage wasn't actually as bad as I feared.  Up 2 pounds to 185.8.  Surgery will be the next hurdle but after 6 to 8 weeks of rehab I'm hoping to actually be able to do more than cardio.
When you get in the swing of things you feel like that's normal, and having thousands of calories more than you're used to seems like guaranteed weight gain. But you have been living with a 1000 calorie deficit for months and months. Going 2000 calories over that is really only 1000 calories over maintenance, and doing that seven times will only add on two pounds.  The hard part is getting back on track after the high calorie indulgences.  You're used to a very specific structure- the chickpotle thing you've been doing. It would probably help to go back to that. Maybe get back to that plus some bonus calories because you are in maintenance mode now.  But if you try to eat like nothing changed, you'll find a lot of that weight you lost pretty quickly.  Be careful about that. You've done an awesome job and it's been fun to watch but the transition back to regular eating is what gets a lot of people in trouble. I am very interested in this next phase for you and would very much appreciate if you could keep talking about your experience in this thread so I can learn from it as I get closer to my own goal weight. 

When you get in the swing of things you feel like that's normal, and having thousands of calories more than you're used to seems like guaranteed weight gain. But you have been living with a 1000 calorie deficit for months and months. Going 2000 calories over that is really only 1000 calories over maintenance, and doing that seven times will only add on two pounds.  The hard part is getting back on track after the high calorie indulgences.  You're used to a very specific structure- the chickpotle thing you've been doing. It would probably help to go back to that. Maybe get back to that plus some bonus calories because you are in maintenance mode now.  But if you try to eat like nothing changed, you'll find a lot of that weight you lost pretty quickly.  Be careful about that. You've done an awesome job and it's been fun to watch but the transition back to regular eating is what gets a lot of people in trouble. I am very interested in this next phase for you and would very much appreciate if you could keep talking about your experience in this thread so I can learn from it as I get closer to my own goal weight. 
Oh absolutely, in it for the long haul with everyone!  Yep, back on Chickpotle today.  Hungrier than normal (or the new normal) right now but it faded after 3 days or so when I first started.  Like I said the complicator this week will be the surgery.  I'm not sure what kind of effect the pain medication I end up on will have on me.  But I should be back to my usual routine by next week I hope.

145g protein

9g fiber not good... going to be a bad poop day I guess 

1147mg sodium plus whatever I used from the salt shaker

Had a barbecue for my brother in law's birthday today (mostly an excuse for my kid to play with everyone and have a barbecue).  Ate a burger and steak tips and grilled potatoes then had scallops with veggies and wine for dinner... but I skipped breakfast, and did some exercise to make up for it. I am teetering on going over calories and might have ended up over but not too badly. 

Today might have been the first time I've used a salt shaker since @fred_1_15301 mentioned kicking the salt... I honestly can't remember the last time I used one.  I used to salt everything.  That has probably helped me avoid serious problems later.  Thank you again for that.
That's awesome!  I don't really miss salt anymore.  I've come to learn that you can make tasty food without salt.  I supplement my meals with others seasonings (e.g. paprika, chili powder, Italian seasoning, no sodium seasonings, etc) and it tastes great.  A piece of salmon or some shrimp/scallop with those seasonings taste fine.  A baked potato with no butter, no salt but those seasonings and a slice of Swiss cheese (only 35 mg of sodium) tastes great. I wish I had realized this a little earlier in my life.  

Monday morning weigh-in of 266.3, so down 9.7 from last week. 

Had my brother and his wife over for the first time since their wedding last September. 
Prime NY Strip, Corn on the cob, Broccoli and a biscuit. Biggest meal in a week. One pour of rye.
Didn't butter/salt the corn, only had one biscuit and had a great visit.

Week 2 starts. Still in the honeymoon phase and need to focus on my activity level.

culdeus said:
What's your MFP group again? I got my account back and I'm trying to do a mini cut and re-establish my baseline MR.  Beach in one month, figure I can cut down from 170 to the low 160s.  Trying to do 2kcal with 170g protein, rest is yolo.  
I don't know if there's a group but you can add me as a friend I'm bostonfred

Had my brother and his wife over for the first time since their wedding last September. 
Prime NY Strip, Corn on the cob, Broccoli and a biscuit. Biggest meal in a week. One pour of rye.

Week 2 starts. Still in the honeymoon phase and need to focus on my activity level.
Losing 9.7 lbs in a week must feel awesome.  Literally a huge weight off your chest.  Obviously it doesn't keep falling off like that but the feeling of that yuck in your body is something you just get used to until it's gone and you're like oh man I forgot what healthy felt like. Love that you're enjoying some good foods while doing this.  Keep up the good work

207.6 (I think) this morning. Steadily trending down from 209ish since Fred re-motivated me last week. 

Also, I went for a walk with the kids yesterday and the 3 year old asked me to pick her up since her brother was in the stroller. So I threw her on my shoulders. Man, was that what it was like walking with all of that extra weight? I say this somewhat tongue in cheek and somewhat truthfully - I'm luck I didn't have a heart attack just going for a walk back then.  

The important question is - which Rye?

148g protein

47g fiber 

5819mg sodium <‐‐ ouch this should be like 2300mg 

58 calories to spare 

Did a nice long run tonight. Felt good. Had a huge plate of shrimp fried rice I made with cauliflower rice for dinner and left calories for some wine.  I am getting closer to my goal of being able to run 7 miles pretty much any time I go outside for a run, and losing.back a few of the pounds I regained from Easter to now before pushing towards my next goal.  

Glad to hear so many in here are doing so well still losing some weight. I am 32 hours into a 48-hour fast, and am salivating looking at my dogs. 

Still think it is easier to just drink water and black coffee for a bunch of hours then it is to not eat pasta or pizza for a few months. Great news is i ate quite a bit over the weekend after hitting a plateau for a few weeks, and am down good amount before i started my fast. That was enough to motivate me to keep at this, but man i am going to devour one of those RX bars when that 48-hours hits, followed by a likely nice turkey club sandwhich i am thinking      :porked:

148g protein

47g fiber 

5819mg sodium <‐‐ ouch this should be like 2300mg 

58 calories to spare 

Did a nice long run tonight. Felt good. Had a huge plate of shrimp fried rice I made with cauliflower rice for dinner and left calories for some wine.  I am getting closer to my goal of being able to run 7 miles pretty much any time I go outside for a run, and losing.back a few of the pounds I regained from Easter to now before pushing towards my next goal.  
Where did all the sodium come from?   Awesome that you can just go out there and run 7 miles whenever you feel like it now.  Are you going to join the running nerd group for a race one of these days?

Glad to see you back at it in here.   It helps me stay motivated and focused to know that you and others are still doing the deal.

Glad to hear so many in here are doing so well still losing some weight. I am 32 hours into a 48-hour fast, and am salivating looking at my dogs. 

Still think it is easier to just drink water and black coffee for a bunch of hours then it is to not eat pasta or pizza for a few months. Great news is i ate quite a bit over the weekend after hitting a plateau for a few weeks, and am down good amount before i started my fast. That was enough to motivate me to keep at this, but man i am going to devour one of those RX bars when that 48-hours hits, followed by a likely nice turkey club sandwhich i am thinking      :porked:
Mmmm......turkey club.......

Interesting you posted this - was watching a Fung fasting video earlier today.

Where did all the sodium come from?   Awesome that you can just go out there and run 7 miles whenever you feel like it now.  Are you going to join the running nerd group for a race one of these days?

Glad to see you back at it in here.   It helps me stay motivated and focused to know that you and others are still doing the deal.
I used a ton of soy sauce and stuff in the shrimp fried rice.  

I'm not ready to race any kind of distance.  I'm just now able to complete these distances, and working up to being able to do them more often without fatiguing.  That's going to take time. My times are worse than when I was doing these once a week as my long run and taking a rest day afterwards. I'd like to get back to running them faster than 6mph before adding a 4th to the week, and then hopefully get my time down close to an hour. Those might be June or July goals or season end, I have no idea.  I'm more interested in staying healthy and losing fat than I am in running fast so planning to meet up for a half or full marathon really shouldn't be on the docket just yet but we'll see how this progresses. Once I get my base up to 7 and feel comfortable doing them then I'll probably look to start increasing my long run distance again. 

bostonfred said:
Awesome job. You're hitting your stride here
-1 pound in 3 months!! It’s like how I used to could time contractions with a sundial. I don’t do anything fast. 

I’m in. I’ve lost 15 since I restarted doing the app in July. Another 10 would put me below 200. Haven’t seen that since #6 was born. Not being pregnant in 5 years has helped, I’m down 22 since #11 was born. 

211.8 this morning. Dang. 

I’m down to 208 today. So that’s -1 from when we started but -3 from the week after we started. But it’s December, I’ve made 4 batches of fudge, and haven’t gained any! It’s looking good for me. 

I’m down another 2, at 206. Started at 210. So -4 overall. That’s a big deal for me. 
Sorry CC I'm not buying it.  You're down 15 in the last 6 months and 30 since July, you survived the holidays and you're on the right track again recently.  You can be self-deprecating and minimize your own accomplishments with someone else but not in here I'm proud of you and that's that. 

110g protein 

34g fiber 

Sodium not good again, I need to get back to work on that 

I was about 500 over calories on a no run day and was ok with that, then thought about this thread and giving @Otisadvice in his thread and decided not to be a hypocrite tonight so I got on the treadmill and did a quick 3.5 including a relatively fast 8:30ish mile which is the pace I'd like to run my longer runs at eventually.  Legs feel pretty good afterwards, I think I will be up for another 7 mile run outside tomorrow.  Long story short, going to bed 35 calories under goal and thankful for you all.

300 calories below goal today. Weighed in at 205.6 this morning but that was a cheater weigh in after a run and "corp"ing. Still, really excited to see sub 205 soon-ish. 

I did 20k steps today. In a steps competition with three other friends. Started Sunday and I'm lagging from not doing much then, got caught up yesterday and today. 

I'm way under calories for the day. Kind of grazed on protein shake, fruits and veg during the day, then cauliflower tacos and garden salad for dinner and I just didn't need anymore the rest of the night. 

Fasting update - at 38 hours no food, lost 3 pounds on the scale.  Plan to get to 40 and then have a light lunch.  I’m thinking for now I’m going to include one 40 hour fast per week.  I’d love to get to the point where it’s a water only fast but let’s get consistent with it first.  Finally making some good progress here.

LET’S GO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread