What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (2 Viewers)

Wait i might have misunderstood 
basically been thinking i may hit my goal weight at some point, and the way my weight can fluctuate with intermittent fasting, i think i need to hit either my goal weight or below it for a weigh-in daily for a week, to truly be at the goal weight. Weighed in Tuesday evening and was like 223, weighed in at the end of a fast today and was 226.8. So weight does move around a bit more then it did when i didn't care about my weight at all. 

i also think a good post for anyone interested in getting generally healthier/losing weight is as such:

So for me, i think one of the biggest issues i had where i put on this weight is i have close to 0 self-control/self-discipline. Always kind of been if i want something, i get it. Was relatively healthy for long time because i have always been pretty active and generally get to the gym. Pandemic certainly put a dent, but it was coming for some time anyway. 

What kept me in a pretty good spot was always having some markers that i "drew the line in the sand with". Always had some rules where i could justify if i put on pounds, and it was 1) i will never buy a pair of pants with waist size 40, and 2) if i ever go above 250 it has to be game on. Funny thing with 2 is that i never really weighed myself, so i was pretty shocked when i hopped on and was 263. Good news is that something did click and i knew i had to commit to something. Got lucky enough to find something that "works" for me (i say works in quotes because it does, but man fasting and not eating for longer periods of time is not fun, and can make me a bit grumpy at times. also need to make sure it can be maintained too). 

So if anybody is thinking they may need to lose some weight or make a change, try something like i did with 2-3 solid markers you know that you can hold to. When i made those goals with the waist size and weight i wasn't really that close to them. So it was easy to say, and commit to. 

I’m at a convention this week and I’ve eaten a lot at dinner yesterday and today. But that’s the only thing I’m eating. I’m not sure how it will play out on the scale when I get home but one more day and then back to normal. 

i also think a good post for anyone interested in getting generally healthier/losing weight is as such:

So for me, i think one of the biggest issues i had where i put on this weight is i have close to 0 self-control/self-discipline. Always kind of been if i want something, i get it. Was relatively healthy for long time because i have always been pretty active and generally get to the gym. Pandemic certainly put a dent, but it was coming for some time anyway. 

What kept me in a pretty good spot was always having some markers that i "drew the line in the sand with". Always had some rules where i could justify if i put on pounds, and it was 1) i will never buy a pair of pants with waist size 40, and 2) if i ever go above 250 it has to be game on. Funny thing with 2 is that i never really weighed myself, so i was pretty shocked when i hopped on and was 263. Good news is that something did click and i knew i had to commit to something. Got lucky enough to find something that "works" for me (i say works in quotes because it does, but man fasting and not eating for longer periods of time is not fun, and can make me a bit grumpy at times. also need to make sure it can be maintained too). 

So if anybody is thinking they may need to lose some weight or make a change, try something like i did with 2-3 solid markers you know that you can hold to. When i made those goals with the waist size and weight i wasn't really that close to them. So it was easy to say, and commit to. 
So you got to 263 without wearing 40’s? I wore them at 225-230. 36 now 198

Monday weigh-in of 263.3, so 3 pounds last week, 12.7 so far.

Had the in-laws and my mom over for Sunday dinner that was grilled on the new Weber. I love how Father's Day presents are generally just more work for dad.
Costco was up $2 a pound on steak, but shot the lock off the wallet anyway. Asparagus instead of broccoli and no biscuit, so even my worst day wasn't bad. Push mowing the lawn tonight should give me a good start to Week 3.
Monday weigh-in of 257.9, so 5.4 pounds last week, 18.1 so far.

Good luck to all as we kick off Memorial Day and summer. For all that mourn on this day, thank you for your sacrifice.

Monday weigh-in of 257.9, so 5.4 pounds last week, 18.1 so far.

Good luck to all as we kick off Memorial Day and summer. For all that mourn on this day, thank you for your sacrifice.
251.7 today, guess the only benefit of being a land sea cow is the first few come off quickly. 6.2 pounds last week and 24.3 in total. 

20/4 IF is in full effect. Been getting 10k steps in daily and while I can’t keep the diet up indefinitely I’m feeling good at the moment. Energy is up.

I am down 17lbs since easter.  Still drinking beer and eating pizza - mostly just on weekends though... just really watching calories and making sure I burn more than I consume. Running and bike riding has been involved as well... worst part is I had recently bought 4 new pairs of pants/shorts right before easter - lol

I saw some old friends last night for the first time since the pandemic started, and they were all quite complimentary, having last seen me at around 240 or 245.  A couple had put on weight, and I had gone from one of the heaviest to the second lightest guy in the group. 

I've still got a ways to go but I've got another group of old friends who I used to get together with for our live fantasy football draft, but we didn't do 2019 and then 2020 was a wash so the last time any of them saw me was at closer to 280.  Planning a live draft this year and it would be nice to show up at sub 200 without anyone knowing I'd lost any weight. 

I'm taking a rest week from running, but still did a ton of swimming and hiking over the weekend so I'm getting plenty of exercise.  I'm keeping the healthy foods in my diet and maintaining the good patterns I've built.  I just have added in snacks and wine.  When I'm ready to make my next push I'll quit them both and just get back to the grind

Had a 3-day weekend of eating and drinking but honestly I didn't go off the rails.  Wasn't interested.  I did drink a bunch of beers doing yard work like @Northern Voice - I didn't eat any salads or veggies but I didn't do too bad.  Did have some dessert (brownies) at my daughters graduation party along with a couple more beers.  I did so much work for the party that I was only up like a pound.  Sitting at 190.2 this morning.  Starting another 2.5-3 weeks of Keto-ish with my weekly fast day.  I'm still a slug when it comes to exercise - need to change that.

I saw some old friends last night for the first time since the pandemic started, and they were all quite complimentary, having last seen me at around 240 or 245.  A couple had put on weight, and I had gone from one of the heaviest to the second lightest guy in the group. 

I've still got a ways to go but I've got another group of old friends who I used to get together with for our live fantasy football draft, but we didn't do 2019 and then 2020 was a wash so the last time any of them saw me was at closer to 280.  Planning a live draft this year and it would be nice to show up at sub 200 without anyone knowing I'd lost any weight. 

I'm taking a rest week from running, but still did a ton of swimming and hiking over the weekend so I'm getting plenty of exercise.  I'm keeping the healthy foods in my diet and maintaining the good patterns I've built.  I just have added in snacks and wine.  When I'm ready to make my next push I'll quit them both and just get back to the grind
I mentioned it in Otis' thread but I got somewhere in the 240-250 range and got down to 160 at my lowest 2 years ago.  I had numerous people ask me if I was sick :lmao: - it's a great feeling when folks you haven't seen before see you after a huge loss. 

I was pretty good again this weekend, beers complemented by salads and popcorn and beer.  I seem to be settled under 220 for the time being - though still at 218-219.

Wife wants to go to the cottage this weekend and patios (FINALLY) open up here on Friday so some challenges ahead but I'm at the point where I want these bean/chickpea/lentil/barley/veggie type meals to be our staple going forward. So filling, decent balance of plant based protein, all whole foods. 

I feel like eating like that, relaxing but not going too off the rails on the weekend and continuing to walk a bunch and do some weights a few times a week will keep this sustainably going in the right direction over the summer. 

I had done a decent job losing weight (50+ pounds) on keto a couple of years ago and COVID (literally) almost killed me and I put back the weight staying inside for a year. As an after effect of COVID, I still suffer from fatigue and have some breathing issues, so anything involving high intensity isn't an option for me these days. I have been going on 5 mile walks / hikes every day as the type of exercise I can tolerate.

I have been steadfast in limiting and avoiding carbs, so that part isn't really a challenge. However, getting more exercise and cutting out carbs has caused me to eat more (to be expected after a year of doing next to nothing). Been doing fine with lots of water, proteins, nuts, fruits, and veggies. Just not losing much weight yet. Haven't hit a point where I don't feel hungry and haven't reached a stage where I feel like I can fast (which is one of the benefits of keto). In the two other times I did keto I shed pounds pretty much right away . . . this time not so much. Anyone else have this issue with a keto / low carb diet?

It's great when you get to this point where you feel like you're just living a lifestyle and can still indulge in things you enjoy once in a while.  Well done.

I had done a decent job losing weight (50+ pounds) on keto a couple of years ago and COVID (literally) almost killed me and I put back the weight staying inside for a year. As an after effect of COVID, I still suffer from fatigue and have some breathing issues, so anything involving high intensity isn't an option for me these days. I have been going on 5 mile walks / hikes every day as the type of exercise I can tolerate.

I have been steadfast in limiting and avoiding carbs, so that part isn't really a challenge. However, getting more exercise and cutting out carbs has caused me to eat more (to be expected after a year of doing next to nothing). Been doing fine with lots of water, proteins, nuts, fruits, and veggies. Just not losing much weight yet. Haven't hit a point where I don't feel hungry and haven't reached a stage where I feel like I can fast (which is one of the benefits of keto). In the two other times I did keto I shed pounds pretty much right away . . . this time not so much. Anyone else have this issue with a keto / low carb diet?
How low are your carbs?  You mention fruit so I’m assuming things like berries?  I won’t tell anybody to not eat fruit or nuts but if you are committed to Keto that’s where I would start.  

How low are your carbs?  You mention fruit so I’m assuming things like berries?  I won’t tell anybody to not eat fruit or nuts but if you are committed to Keto that’s where I would start.  
Almost always berries in the fruit department. An occasional apple.

The message board itself freaked out (not the posters but the actual board) and went a little crazy there for a while. Typically this is what I have been eating . . .

Breakfast: A yogurt with 2 strawberries or 5-6 blackberries and a hard boiled egg. Once in a while bacon and eggs instead.
Lunch: Basically a salad with dark greens, spinach, kale, and some olive oil but blended together in water so a green smoothie and a small container of guacamole. Once in a while something like a chicken salad salad or a tuna salad salad.
Afternoon snack: A handful of mixed nuts, a handful of blueberries, or a couple of spoons of peanut butter.
Dinner: Whatever the protein of the day is (fish, shrimp, chicken, steak, pork), a side salad, and a vegetable (broccoli or green beans).
Mostly nothing but water to drink (probably 8 bottles a day). No breads, no pastas, no potatoes, no chips, no sweets, no soda, no coffee, no deserts, nothing high in sugar.

Have been going on walks before work and at night. Sometimes at lunch time instead. Minimum of 10,000 steps a day. Since I had COVID, I don't sleep through the night, so I generally start at 5:00 AM and go through 10 PM . . . meaning I am around and active for way more hours than ever before.

When I did keto in the past, there were times I wasn't hungry at all and could fast and go from breakfast one day to dinner the next day no problem. The issue I have now is I haven't been able to skip a meal because I am always hungry.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 weeks since shoulder surgery.  It pretty much sucks but getting better range of motion.  Still can't sleep.  Eating way more but exercise is up with physical therapy.  I'm up to 187 but I've set 190 as a guard rail.  I'm on so much medication that I have to take it on a fairly full stomach or I just feel awful.  

Love hearing these success stories, keep it up!

3 weeks since shoulder surgery.  It pretty much sucks but getting better range of motion.  Still can't sleep.  Eating way more but exercise is up with physical therapy.  I'm up to 187 but I've set 190 as a guard rail.  I'm on so much medication that I have to take it on a fairly full stomach or I just feel awful.  

great call, or at least it was for me. setting it up like that with drawing a line in the sand was nice for me to kind of not sweat weight a ton. try to lose here and there, but no biggie. but one i crossed that line my entire mindset flipped the switch and basically said "no mas!". 

losing weight still, but is like a crawl still week in and week out. looking at it it is all trending down, but it is a marathon, not a sprint. 

The message board itself freaked out (not the posters but the actual board) and went a little crazy there for a while. Typically this is what I have been eating . . .

Breakfast: A yogurt with 2 strawberries or 5-6 blackberries and a hard boiled egg. Once in a while bacon and eggs instead.
Lunch: Basically a salad with dark greens, spinach, kale, and some olive oil but blended together in water so a green smoothie and a small container of guacamole. Once in a while something like a chicken salad salad or a tuna salad salad.
Afternoon snack: A handful of mixed nuts, a handful of blueberries, or a couple of spoons of peanut butter.
Dinner: Whatever the protein of the day is (fish, shrimp, chicken, steak, pork), a side salad, and a vegetable (broccoli or green beans).
Mostly nothing but water to drink (probably 8 bottles a day). No breads, no pastas, no potatoes, no chips, no sweets, no soda, no coffee, no deserts, nothing high in sugar.

Have been going on walks before work and at night. Sometimes at lunch time instead. Minimum of 10,000 steps a day. Since I had COVID, I don't sleep through the night, so I generally start at 5:00 AM and go through 10 PM . . . meaning I am around and active for way more hours than ever before.

When I did keto in the past, there were times I wasn't hungry at all and could fast and go from breakfast one day to dinner the next day no problem. The issue I have now is I haven't been able to skip a meal because I am always hungry.
My uneducated, not a doctor or dietician opinion is that’s too many carbs to get you in to ketosis.  I think the benefit of some quick weight loss and having hunger go away (body burning fat for fuel) won’t kick in until your carbs are lower.

And I’m strictly talking the science behind it and not whether that’s a good idea for you.  If you are that active you may need the carbs to sustain it.  That eating plan seems very sensible so you may either need to be patient or tweak it some if you really want to be Keto.

Just be careful if meds on an empty stomach really make you feel awful.   I’ve been there, it sucks, and honestly my experience was that it’s better to have an extra 2-3 lbs to lose later than it is to be miserable or do damage to your stomach lining.....

It's great when you get to this point where you feel like you're just living a lifestyle and can still indulge in things you enjoy once in a while.  Well done.
To be fair I've definitely put some weight back on this last two months after 100 days of hard dieting.  That was the plan and I have picked up other good habits during that time like increasing my running, but I've eaten way more than I should.  So I'm not at the point where maintenance mode is second nature and I'm only indulging once in a while... I'm actively indulging, a lot, and when I half heartedly tried getting back on the diet a little while ago i realized that I need these times to get my head back on right.  I could probably lose every pound I have left to lose in one shot but I'd be miserable - at the end of my last big push it was taking a real toll.

So what I have been doing right is every day, having a measured amount of coffee for breakfast, then for a mid morning snack, I have a lot of berries with high protein skyr yogurt.  I give myself some kind of lunch and then in the evening I have a big bowl of carrots broccoli and cauliflower almost every day with some kind of protein.  That's a staple of my healthy diet, and gets me plenty of fiber and a good start on my protein without much salt or sugar.  On days I don't have the berries, I might make an egg sandwich on a high fiber English muffin or have some other good fiber foods.  I'm still getting a couple days of fish and other lean proteins. And I've been super active, running, swimming and hiking as well as the occasional yoga.

The difference is that when I'm dieting, I'll have a small lunch with it and thats it.  When I'm indulging, i have whatever I want for lunch and then I'll snack at night, maybe have some wine.  I've been getting takeout with my kid now that the Covid situation is improving. We got Popeyes last night.  It was good but not really worth it. But I genuinely needed some time like this before I could get back to it. 

Today is the day I get back on track. I've rested my legs a good bit, I'm feeling pretty good except for a lump of fried chicken in my gut, and I'm almost out of groceries so I can go shopping and just load up on healthy stuff.  I still need to figure out how to get my calories steady when I run 7 miles one day and 0 the next, but I'm ready to tackle that too.  🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♀️ 🏃‍♂️ 

Love seeing all the people in here posting again. Let's go. 

My uneducated, not a doctor or dietician opinion is that’s too many carbs to get you in to ketosis.  I think the benefit of some quick weight loss and having hunger go away (body burning fat for fuel) won’t kick in until your carbs are lower.

And I’m strictly talking the science behind it and not whether that’s a good idea for you.  If you are that active you may need the carbs to sustain it.  That eating plan seems very sensible so you may either need to be patient or tweak it some if you really want to be Keto.
Went on much longer walks yesterday and ate a little less. The scale claimed I lost 5 pounds in one day. I'm guessing that was probably mostly water weight, but less weight is still less weight. It's been way hotter than usual in these parts, so been going overboard on the fluids to stay hydrated.

I have found this salad dressing at a restaurant that I just love. So I bought a big jar of it and I’ve eaten more salads at home than I ever wanted to. I’m sure I could make the dressing and I might try when my jar is empty. But the point of my story is find something that you love and is really good to help you do the things you know are good for you. Bonus tonight I had enough cherry tomatoes from my garden to use as well!

Still holding at 195. But have added swimming back in for exercise now!

I have found this salad dressing at a restaurant that I just love. So I bought a big jar of it and I’ve eaten more salads at home than I ever wanted to. I’m sure I could make the dressing and I might try when my jar is empty. But the point of my story is find something that you love and is really good to help you do the things you know are good for you. Bonus tonight I had enough cherry tomatoes from my garden to use as well!

Still holding at 195. But have added swimming back in for exercise now!
Hola Ms. Clown Car.  If I may share a YouTube video on making homemade salad dressings...  After I watched this (and tried it), I swore off ever, ever buying pre-fab dressings again.  It's drop-dead easy, and quick and inexpensive, and you have complete control over a very limited list of ingredients (I typically use olive oil in lieu of sunflower oil as demonstrated in the video).

And it's superb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwT6ULmtNlk

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that we have to buy bottled salad dressing made with soybean oil and/or canola oil."

251.7 today, guess the only benefit of being a land sea cow is the first few come off quickly. 6.2 pounds last week and 24.3 in total. 

20/4 IF is in full effect. Been getting 10k steps in daily and while I can’t keep the diet up indefinitely I’m feeling good at the moment. Energy is up.
247.9 today, 3.8 pounds last week and 28.1 in total. Down 10% of total body weight and start a new goal of 10%, so current target is 223. 

186.6 this morning - about to end my fast.  Still can't say that these are easy but I'm learning to adjust. 

Let's go!!
A neighbor of mine has brain cancer in remission and she swears it's due to ketosis and fasting. She lives on an 18/6 IF, with one 24+ hour fast a week and a 5 day fast every month. No idea where her energy comes from, but it's worked for her. Good luck with your fasting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got under 205 a few weeks ago. Been floating between 204-206 ever since. Haven't run at all in the last 2ish weeks since August came early this year in MN. 90+ degrees for like 10 days straight. I'm a wimp when it comes to heat. I was expecting to be like 208 when I got on the scale this morning just because of no running and eating all the sugar, but was still 205. So that's a win. 

I haven't posted in here the last couple days but had a good weekend and feel like I'm back on track.  Ran my 7 miler Saturday after a rest week, then did yard work and yoga yesterday and stayed under calories both days with good protein and fiber numbers.  Back at it today and most of the routines are coming back to me pretty easily - I know what to do and it all starts at the grocery store.

No wine left in the house and I'm not buying any for a while, which is the most important thing. I did buy some snack packs of pretzels but left them in the basement and haven't gotten into them yet - knowing they're there helps when I go to the grocery store next time because there's no reason to buy more snacks when I haven't touched the ones I already bought, and I'm in no hurry to eat them as long as I know I can.  Still a very real possibility I wake up in a pile of empty bags of Buffalo pretzels, they're really good. But not today. 

I'm definitely up from where I last got to, but I'm not sure how much because my weight fluctuates a LOT with all the running and subsequent water intake.  I'm up maybe ten lbs since Easter but will have to wait until I've normalized a bit and try to get a good weigh in in a few days to really know where I'm at. 

I've decided on my goal this time around but I'm not going to share it yet because I'm not sure if I can do it.  I'll need help, here and with my b&m friends and family.  I've been slacking badly on the diet since Easter but I think I have gotten it out of my system enough to make another hard push, I'm just not sure if I'm being too ambitious because I've never missed one before and I know that if it becomes apparent I'll miss, I'll talk myself into quitting.  

Had 2 big golf tourneys including my 5 day, 24 guy annual boondoggle + member/member at my club. Both lots of alcohol. Week of travel in between. Didn’t do too badly with food or drink choices but definitely feel bloated. Will be a saint this week to get rid of the water. Lots of H2O, protein and salad. No drinking or carbs at all this week. Back on the program 100%. Also back to Gold’s starting tomorrow 

247.9 today, 3.8 pounds last week and 28.1 in total. Down 10% of total body weight and start a new goal of 10%, so current target is 223. 

A neighbor of mine has brain cancer in remission and she swears it's due to ketosis and fasting. She lives on an 18/6 IF, with one 24+ hour fast a week and a 5 day fast every month. No idea where her energy comes from, but it's worked for her. Good luck with your fasting. 
Good luck to your neighbor.  There's some studies and folks who believe that doing ketosis can help with cancer - I know nothing about it but the idea, I think, is that eliminating carbs/sugar helps the cancer not grow and I think autophagy can help.  It could be totally wrong, I have no idea but it's a working theory from what I understand.  I do know from experience that doing Keto and getting in to ketosis allows your body to get it's energy from fat on the body - whehter you are doing it for fat loss or something else, most people report that they see no issues with energy levels.  Insert all of bfred's disclaimers here - I can't endorse it from a medical standpoint but any time I've ever used it as a dieting tool I've lost weight, felt better, slept better and to me the best thing about it has always been my blood numbers improve dramatically.  Just don't eat a bunch of junk/crappy protein.

My personal take - I'm still of the opinion that this a really good way to lose weight over a period of time but not the best as a day-to-day maintenance plan.  I think there's room for more healthy fruits and veggies in a plan that would kick you out of ketosis.  But, I'll reiterate what is almost always my main point - do what works for you - vegan, IF, LCHF, carnivore - I'm not sure it matters as long as you are getting the results and the health checks you are looking for.

77g protein low 

47g fiber high

4448 mg sodium high

Short treadmill run. 2.5 miles in 22 minutes as I chase my goal of a 7mph 5k.  Will try again another week, back to MAF pace for now.  Stayed under calories by a handful which is good with the lighter exercise.  Scale continues to trend downwards quickly so I'm hopeful that I still have a lot of water weight to burn off.

Users who are viewing this thread