Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

bostonfred

Holding steady at 187, shoulder is still wrecked.  Surgery was a month ago with a 6 to 8 week recovery.  Looking like 8 weeks.  Definitely has improved the mobility but ready for the pain to be gone.  The pain that is left is the surgical procedure rather than the actual shoulder, so it should be healed in the next few weeks.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corporation said:

Holding steady at 187, shoulder is still wrecked.  Surgery was a month ago with a 6 to 8 week recovery.  Looking like 8 weeks.  Definitely has improved the mobility but ready for the pain to be gone.  The pain that is left is the surgical procedure rather than the actual shoulder, so it should be healed in the next few weeks.

Keep up the good work!

If you can eat nothing but chipotle and chick fil a for 4 months you can handle a couple weeks of recovery. Nice to see you succeed with maintenance even with the recovery. Always tempting to make excuses b but you put in too much work to backslide 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:45 PM, AAABatteries said:

Decided to go ahead and (food) fast today.  I’ve been doing some fasting on and off for a couple years.  I think there’s compelling research to fasting being very good for you.  

This is my 5th straight week doing a 40 hour fast.  I'm considering doing some bone broth in the future to help with some of the hunger and possible go for longer. 

• Like 1

85g protein

41g fiber

2440mg sodium

1741 calories in... 822 calories of exercise... should I leave 581 calories on the table or have a snack?  I'm leaning snack but I don't really want anything that i have.  If I had wine in the house I'd have poured it by now which is why I do not have wine in the house. I do have 2 Guinness though 

• Like 2

179g protein. High

46g fiber. High

1978mg sodium. Low. 

Under calories. No booze.  Ran 7 miles and ate an absolutely monstrous plate of grilled chicken, potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower with some light sauce and even a little butter.  Never felt hungry even after staying 500 under my lose 2lbs per week goal yesterday which tells me I'm still working off the water weight. Scale keeps dropping daily and my post run cheater weigh in was several pounds down from where I started so I'm hopeful but not going to rush it. 

I've got about four months of this ahead of me so there's nothing I can really do in one day to make this go faster but there's plenty I can do to make it go slower.  Stick with the program, run and load up on clean protein, fruits and vegetables. 

• Like 2

Also decided to share my goal so I commit

184.6 by my birthday at the end of October. 

One hundred pounds down from where I started.  A nice round number that once seemed like a pipe dream.  If I lose at the same rate I've lost since this started, I should get there early, but I expect it to slow down even if I adjust my calories as I go because everyone plateaus eventually. In fact if I don't plateau it probably means I still have more to lose than those 100. Yikes. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

145g protein great

28g fiber a little low but ok

2043mg sodium good

Took a rest day from running today but still finished under calories with a quick 30 minute session on the rower. Celebrating a good week by drinking the last two beers in my fridge. 

The scale is still dropping fairly rapidly so I'm not done shedding water weight but I'm guessing it will settle around 216ish when all is said and done - not too far up from my low of 208.5.  That gives me a shot at Onederland by early August and 184.6 by October but I will need to really work at it.

• Like 2

My friend did her first 5k today in 42 minutes. I’m going to start training Monday to join her next year at our little town festival. What should I do? I can do 2 miles in 44 minutes on the treadmill. 

2 hours ago, Clown Car said:

My friend did her first 5k today in 42 minutes. I’m going to start training Monday to join her next year at our little town festival. What should I do? I can do 2 miles in 44 minutes on the treadmill. 

Couch to 5k is the consensus program for people who are training up for their first time (or one of their first times) running a 5k.  There are a few different programs sites and apps for c25k that are generally pretty good. And you're around where they start. 

If you want the simplest answer, though, do some walking and then mix in some jogging until you have a hard time talking conversationally.  Then dial it back to a walk for a minute or two, until you're ready to jog again. The more you do that, the longer you should be able to go before you need to walk. 

Two years ago today I was significantly more overweight than you and was running about two minutes on the treadmill, then walking, then going back to running, then walking again.  When I ran, it was 6mph, so that sounds a little faster than your runs right now... but our fitness sounds similar. 

I plugged in every minute of running to myfitnesspal.  Seeing how many extra calories I got to eat after running, I wanted to get down there a few times a week.  

A year ago today I was running a 5k in under 28 minutes.

Now I have run a 10k in under an hour and have several 30 to 35 mile weeks under my belt. 

Running slow is really good for you. Running faster than you are comfortable isn't worth it.  You increase your injury risk and you don't improve as much as you'd think.  You work your anaerobic fitness - the part between running and sprinting- but your aerobic fitness- the part between walking and running- needs slow runs to improve.

If you get to a point where you can do 5k slowly but without stopping, the best things for you will be to do 6k slowly without stopping, and doing a shorter distance like 1k, faster. 

Imo

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Had a nice Father's day dinner and some wine and some fun time with my wife. Not counting any of it in myfitnesspal tonight.  Not sorry. 

You could count the fun time. 

• Laughing 1

12 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Had a nice Father's day dinner and some wine and some fun time with my wife. Not counting any of it in myfitnesspal tonight.  Not sorry. 

Yep, had my dad and brothers over for Father’s Day. Steak and shrimp, broke into the Clase Azul Mezcal and the Kentucky Owl bourbon. Regret none of it.

• Like 1

115g protein decent

15g fiber not great 

1216mg sodium awesome 

Stayed around my calorie goal by swimming and going for a 7 mile run but also eating a ton. My wife got me an edible arrangement chocolate dipped fruit... mmm... high calorie fruit.... did some grilling and then I had two bottles of Guinness... nice day overall and got some quality time with the family. 

Checked my weight this morning and yesterday morning to see the damage... yesterday I was up almost 4 pounds from Friday after going well over maintenance calories.... today I was actually down .5 from Friday.  So I'm psyched to not only lose that back, but it probably means I'm still losing water weight if I can fluctuate like that.  So maybe I have a couple pounds of easy weight loss before I get into the 2lb/week grind. 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, Gawain said:

247.9 today, 3.8 pounds last week and 28.1 in total. Down 10% of total body weight and start a new goal of 10%, so current target is 223. 

243.3 today, 4.6 pounds last week and 32.7 in total. Saturday was a "bad" day because of a birthday/father's day celebration, but managed to make pretty good choices and got back after it yesterday. Wife and kids are gone until July 3rd, so hope to ramp up activity that would normally be spent on them when I get home from work. 

Hope everyone had a tremendous father's day!

• Like 3

According to my watch, todays workout/run was my first in about 3 weeks today. I've been walking, and maybe did one or two jogs in that time, but must not have wore my watch those days. Today was a nice 3 mile jog. I walked a little here and there, not because I needed to so much as I just wanted to enjoy the weather. 65 feels amazing after never ending 95 degree days. 

• Like 2

74g protein 

38g fiber

2545mg sodium 

Went 358 calories over goal, which is not something I used to do.  No alcohol or anything, just celebrated my mother in laws birthday after work and didn't get to run after.  Could run now but my kid is asking me to put him to bed and that's not going to last forever.  Will make it up later in the week.   

• Like 1

117g protein 

33g fiber 

1624mg sodium plus whatever I used from the salt shaker (probably went over)

90 min/8 mile MAF run on the treadmill, stayed well under calories and paid back all the calories I went over yesterday with interest.  Back to the grind. 

• Like 3

On 6/17/2021 at 7:50 PM, bostonfred said:

Also decided to share my goal so I commit

184.6 by my birthday at the end of October. 

One hundred pounds down from where I started.  A nice round number that once seemed like a pipe dream.  If I lose at the same rate I've lost since this started, I should get there early, but I expect it to slow down even if I adjust my calories as I go because everyone plateaus eventually. In fact if I don't plateau it probably means I still have more to lose than those 100. Yikes. 

I really hope you realize what an inspiration you are to a lot of us. Thanks and continued good luck on your journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, Atomic Punk said:

I really hope you realize what an inspiration you are to a lot of us. Thanks and continued good luck on your journey.

Thanks for saying that. Just knowing that people are keeping an eye on it keeps me honest, so I hope you realize I appreciate you taking the time to say this, too.  There's definitely days where I could have wavered, and thought about reporting back to the thread and decided not to. 

• Like 1

It is quite amazing what a community, with an engaged and respected leader (that would be you), can do for that community. You consistently owning the highs and lows of your efforts makes others want to live up to the that level of integrity. Coming in this thread had forced me off the couch on more than one occasion and kept the fridge/cupboard doors shut time after time.

Add to this your ongoing encouragement, detailed information and suggestions ... we’ll, “thank you” just seems too little.

ETA, I have singled out bostonfred here for obvious reasons, but there are a few other major contributors to this thread that also have earned my respect and admiration.

Edited by Atomic Punk
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Atomic Punk said:

It is quite amazing what a community, with an engaged and respected leader (that would be you), can do for that community. You consistently owning the highs and lows of your efforts makes others want to live up to the that level of integrity. Coming in this thread had forced me off the couch on more than one occasion and kept the fridge/cupboard doors shut time after time.

Add to this your ongoing encouragement, detailed information and suggestions ... we’ll, “thank you” just seems too little.

ETA, I have singled out bostonfred here for obvious reasons, but there are a few other major contributors to this thread that also have earned my respect and admiration.

Spot on.   I cheated a bit the past month and gained back a couple of pounds.   Some of that was by design -- trying to put on muscle, doing the 100 pushup plan, etc -- and some of it was because I have a sweet tooth and like buying donuts, M&Ms and ice cream.    Normally, without the lingering memories of this thread, I would have put on 10-12 pounds in May/June.  Instead, I put on 2-3 pounds and have continued a good chunk of my healthier lifestyle habits.   Some of the weight gain is just part of the process of traveling for work again and figuring out what my new work travel eating has to look like.  Some of it is laziness.  Some of it is poor decisions.   

One thing I've continued to do is enter all my food intake into the MFP app.  Even on bad days, I enter it all into the app.   It keeps me honest with myself.  This thread has really helped with that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corporation said:

I love reading these success stories.  Keep it up!  It is an inspiration to me as well, as I really don't want to exceed my bumper weight of 190 for fear of letting the group down!

How are you feeling one week after your most recent update?

2 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:
6 minutes ago, Corporation said:

I love reading these success stories.  Keep it up!  It is an inspiration to me as well, as I really don't want to exceed my bumper weight of 190 for fear of letting the group down!

How are you feeling one week after your most recent update?

Shoulder is somewhat better, going to see the surgeon for the 6 week follow-up next Wednesday.  Sleeping is a little better (waking up once a night instead of twice).  Increased range of motion with the shoulder, but still some pain and a lot of stiffness.  I stopped taking the narcotic last week (wanted to get off as soon as possible as some people in my family have had issues, and I didn't want to test those waters). 

I'm now taking at doctor's direction 800MG of ibuprofen 3 times a day, which is a lot.  It has stomach impacts so I've been eating more, and those hunger pains I got rid of during my journey have now returned.  But I need to have a relatively full stomach to take the Advil.  Holding at 187.4 this morning, which would have been beyond my dreams when I started at 226.

Hope you are well!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corporation said:

Shoulder is somewhat better, going to see the surgeon for the 6 week follow-up next Wednesday.  Sleeping is a little better (waking up once a night instead of twice).  Increased range of motion with the shoulder, but still some pain and a lot of stiffness.  I stopped taking the narcotic last week (wanted to get off as soon as possible as some people in my family have had issues, and I didn't want to test those waters). 

I'm now taking at doctor's direction 800MG of ibuprofen 3 times a day, which is a lot.  It has stomach impacts so I've been eating more, and those hunger pains I got rid of during my journey have now returned.  But I need to have a relatively full stomach to take the Advil.  Holding at 187.4 this morning, which would have been beyond my dreams when I started at 226.

Hope you are well!

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, but maybe try volume eating?

4 cups of broccoli florets is about 100 calories, and so much of the carbs are fiber/complex carbs that I don't get carb cravings afterwards. 

Make a microwavable bag of sweet potatoes, cut them up into fries and throw them on the grill with a little oil on a piece of aluminum foil until you get some char.  Delicious, tons of fries, lots of fiber and nutrients, low calories, 

I would be remiss if I didn't mention berries and fruit salad or yogurt parfait as a possible solution. 

Cauliflower rice makes an awesome fried rice, much lower calorie and you can add some egg, meat and veggies to make it really pretty healthy and still get you where you want to be. 

Or do your chickapoo thing 

• Like 1

Yesterday I did a 45 minute cycle ride around Noon, it was really warm here in South Florida but I had a big hat and it wasn't totally unbearable, was able to cover about 10 miles. 

Then for the nightcap I played about 75-90 minutes of some pretty good paced Doubles Tennis. 

I try to do something daily especially in the evening hours around Sunset and I like that time because if I haven't been minding my Ps&Qs that day then I can't exercise like I would like at night. 

Scale was moving back to a number that makes me wince a little, that's OK, in fact it's a good thing when you start feeling icky on the scale and realize you cannot keep doing what you are doing and fend the weight off for long, no matter how much you exercise. 

I'm trying to take it very easy as far as time outside in the sun, i feel strongly when you overdo it that you tend to not go back to it right away, meaning a lot of days go by where you are inert. 

30 minute walk in the morning, 30 minute walk in the evening, see what happens to you. I bump into almost NOBODY when I am out in the morning and even less when the sun is setting. Take it one small step at a time, if 30 is too much, do 20. And the malls are now open most places, they have air conditioning and are like a mile long. 

Been a while since I posted in this thread. 

-Just got back from Carolina and the Mountains and "Trails" that lead to waterfalls. Saw Crabtree Falls and have an amazing video because I didn't stop at the little bridge they build to view the Falls safely from way back, I scaled the rocks on the side and got right up to the Falls, I woulda never done that a couple years ago. I thank my @bostonfredand Otis group all the time but here was a real life experience where the weight loss I did last year, I was having no issues going uphill, just an awesome feeling. 

• Like 2

124g protein

39g fiber

2465mg sodium 

Ran 72 minutes at maf pace and stayed under calories.  Mixed it up on the food a little, oatmeal with berries for breakfast, salmon and sweet potato fries for dinner and had calories left over for some junk food with my kid.  Back to back longer runs on the treadmill so I'll need to come down on exercise and calories tomorrow a little but that should be fine. 

I'm a couple weeks into this push and should be getting close to the end of the water weight so I'm hoping to see some clear trends that I'm losing at the rate I expect with my calorie burn from running. If not I'll need to adjust. For now I'm rolling with it.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

124g protein

39g fiber

2465mg sodium 

Ran 72 minutes at maf pace and stayed under calories.  Mixed it up on the food a little, oatmeal with berries for breakfast, salmon and sweet potato fries for dinner and had calories left over for some junk food with my kid.  Back to back longer runs on the treadmill so I'll need to come down on exercise and calories tomorrow a little but that should be fine. 

I'm a couple weeks into this push and should be getting close to the end of the water weight so I'm hoping to see some clear trends that I'm losing at the rate I expect with my calorie burn from running. If not I'll need to adjust. For now I'm rolling with it.  

Good stuff BF

• Thanks 1

I sort of started my c25k plan today. I’m going to start for real after I get back from two trips I have planned over the next couple weeks. 
Anyway, what I’m doing is every 5 minutes on the treadmill increasing the speed to 3.5 mph for 1 minute. I can walk well at 3 mph but 3.5 really pushes me. I’m going to increase that to two minutes next week. 
But I’m still 194lbs. 

Edited by Clown Car
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

124g protein

39g fiber

2465mg sodium 

outstanding, I forgot how simple oatamel n fruit then salmon n sweet pot fries is to put together and stay on track. 

How do you cook your salmon? Very Teriyaki sauce from Trader Joe's if you've never tried it, cook it on to the Salmon towards the end and it's delicious.  

• Like 1

125g protein 

36g fiber

4024mg sodium yikes

And once again, I went over calories by a few hundred on a scheduled rest day from running. Still under maintenance calories. I think this might be the new normal for me - it's hard to switch back to 1500 calories.  I never believed in paying back the calories before but I think that's what I need to do to make this work while I'm running longer distances.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Clown Car said:

I sort of started my c25k plan today. I’m going to start for real after I get back from two trips I have planned over the next couple weeks. 
Anyway, what I’m doing is every 5 minutes on the treadmill increasing the speed to 3.5 mph for 1 minute. I can walk well at 3 mph but 3.5 really pushes me. I’m going to increase that to two minutes next week. 
But I’m still 194lbs. 

Nice. Those short increases add up quickly. 

And still 194 is down from still 195, which is down from where you started. Don't make me go back to page one and quote you again.  You're making slow progress, you're not giving it back, and you're improving your overall fitness especially with the c25k stuff. Keep it up 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

outstanding, I forgot how simple oatamel n fruit then salmon n sweet pot fries is to put together and stay on track. 

How do you cook your salmon? Very Teriyaki sauce from Trader Joe's if you've never tried it, cook it on to the Salmon towards the end and it's delicious.  

depends on the day and what I'm having with it. Sometimes teriyaki and grilled pineapple. Sometimes plain.  I really like kikkoman sweet soy sauce for rice, and also sesame shoyu, and sweet chili sauces from my local stores.  I use those on my vegetables all the time and sometimes on my fish. 

I need to start adding in some white fish from time to time too.  Would be interested in lowish calorie ways to prepare it especially with just a little Ritz cracker or something similar.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

125g protein 

36g fiber

4024mg sodium yikes

And once again, I went over calories by a few hundred on a scheduled rest day from running. Still under maintenance calories. I think this might be the new normal for me - it's hard to switch back to 1500 calories.  I never believed in paying back the calories before but I think that's what I need to do to make this work while I'm running longer distances.  

Yeah, this is pretty much what I do.   On long run days, I try not to ramp up the calories fully.  And on no-run days, I tend to go 200-300 calories above my goal.  It depends on the day....but basically I try to average out to the right number of calories over the span of a full week.   

• Like 1

There have been a few times recently where I have thought #### it, i can have a drink or two tonight. Or craved chips badly.  Or thought, I'm not really in any hurry to lose this many pounds by this date as I looked in the fridge.  It is harder to stick with this than it was before, and I don't know why. I think part of it is that I feel a lot better and healthier now than I did before, so I'm mostly just trying to look better. It's easy to not give that much of a ####.  Maybe it's because I got used to not getting takeout during the pandemic and limiting myself to what was in the fridge but now I feel like I can shop ten times a week if i really want to. Or just dealing with the swings of having 1500 calories one day and 2600 the next that I've talked about plenty.

Regardless I am not used to it and it sucks.  I think there's a psychological/behavioral issue here I need to figure out if I ever want to solve this permanently, and I'm not sure if it's new or the same old same old.

• Like 2

125g protein 

36g fiber 

4024mg sodium 

Today was really hard and I don't really understand why. But seeing @GregRpost about hitting 50 lbs down was pretty incredible and it helped me stay on track. Thanks Greg.  I only did a short run today, but kept my food on point (except the sodium) and left myself calories for two Guinness while still paying back the calories I borrowed yesterday.  Finished with 536 left to spare.  

I think one of the things I'm struggling with is that I don't have a streak to keep up.  I didn't go over calories at all when I was doing this before. I went over calories yesterday and other times, no problem, because I know I can burn it off tomorrow.  Then tomorrow comes around and I'm thinking why not borrow again.  I need to get the mental stuff right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One more thing - I've started a plank challenge with a b&m friend. Two minute plank every day for a month. First day was easyish.  Second day a bit worse.  If it doesn't get more difficult I'll add in some more pushups. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

One more thing - I've started a plank challenge with a b&m friend. Two minute plank every day for a month. First day was easyish.  Second day a bit worse.  If it doesn't get more difficult I'll add in some more pushups. 

The first time I read this it said S&M friend.  That would have been more intriguing.

• Laughing 2

74g protein

26g fiber 

3122mg sodium 

Just under calories for the day without a run after getting all my have-tos done for the weekend.  Hoping the extra rest helps me get a long run in tomorrow... might go out early because it's supposed to be hot and humid all afternoon. 

• Like 1

81g protein 

28g fiber 

1538mg sodium

I didn't end up running, but stayed under 1400 total calories for the day.  Going to be a heat wave the next few days so I'm probably limited to the treadmill for my runs. 

Weighed in at 215.6 this morning, 69 lbs down from my starting point but 6.9 lbs above my lowest weight.  Will probably be end of July before I break through my previous low of 208.7, late August to hit Onederland, and then late October is still within reach for my goal of 184.6. 31 lbs in 4 months is definitely possible but the pounds will get harder to lose the closer I get to my goal and I have been struggling with the mental stuff the last couple weeks. 

• Like 2

have fallen off the wagon a bit... back up to about 205 +/- after vacation/travel over the last couple weeks. Back at it again in terms of trying to be a responsible eater as well as putting the running plan back in place. @bostonfred's last post kind of highlights that my goals are reachable if I get on it. Running a marathon in early November and would like to be about 185+/- by then. 20 pounds in 4 months is easily doable if I get on a plan and stick with it. Same can be said for getting on my running plan and sticking to it to be ready to run the race... we'll see how each goes. 

• Like 3

Things are just opening up where I live and we can start socializing again with friends. Suffice it to say, I didn’t have a great weekend calorie-wise and probably drank my daily calories Friday and Saturday. Followed that up with a stop at my favourite ice cream place down the road yesterday.

Ive also lost the urge to work out. Was going hard 4-5 days a week but have been counting too much on just being active around the yard, beach, etc. I really need a bit of a wake up call and get back in the zone.

Time to get back at it!

• Like 4

On 6/25/2021 at 12:01 PM, bostonfred said:

There have been a few times recently where I have thought #### it, i can have a drink or two tonight. Or craved chips badly.  Or thought, I'm not really in any hurry to lose this many pounds by this date as I looked in the fridge.  It is harder to stick with this than it was before, and I don't know why. I think part of it is that I feel a lot better and healthier now than I did before, so I'm mostly just trying to look better. It's easy to not give that much of a ####.  Maybe it's because I got used to not getting takeout during the pandemic and limiting myself to what was in the fridge but now I feel like I can shop ten times a week if i really want to. Or just dealing with the swings of having 1500 calories one day and 2600 the next that I've talked about plenty.

Regardless I am not used to it and it sucks.  I think there's a psychological/behavioral issue here I need to figure out if I ever want to solve this permanently, and I'm not sure if it's new or the same old same old.

Once you get to a certain point where you’ve changed your lifestyle and bad habits it’s common to feel guilt when you want to indulge. Notice you mentioned in the post that you already feel so much better. Healthier. At some point the scale doesn’t really matter anymore if you feel good. Look good. Clothes fit and you’re comfortable in them. Who cares if you have some wine or an unhealthy snack? You’re right back at it the next day. 

My suggestion would be to switch up the fitness routine some. Add weight training, plyo, outdoor activities. Something different than running to challenge your body in new ways. I think you have the eating under control. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

have fallen off the wagon a bit... back up to about 205 +/- after vacation/travel over the last couple weeks. Back at it again in terms of trying to be a responsible eater as well as putting the running plan back in place. @bostonfred's last post kind of highlights that my goals are reachable if I get on it. Running a marathon in early November and would like to be about 185+/- by then. 20 pounds in 4 months is easily doable if I get on a plan and stick with it. Same can be said for getting on my running plan and sticking to it to be ready to run the race... we'll see how each goes. 

Cutting 20 lbs in 4 months while training for a marathon seems pretty straightforward but remember you always lose some muscle mass when you lose weight.  I know you mentioned in the 10k thread that you were working on your leg muscle, and you can't add muscle mass if you're in a calorie deficit. It migut also be tough to lose weight closer to race day.  So maybe try to target a couple months of hard dieting and then coasting a littlw as you get closer to the day 

21 minutes ago, Atomic Punk said:

Things are just opening up where I live and we can start socializing again with friends. Suffice it to say, I didn’t have a great weekend calorie-wise and probably drank my daily calories Friday and Saturday. Followed that up with a stop at my favourite ice cream place down the road yesterday.

Ive also lost the urge to work out. Was going hard 4-5 days a week but have been counting too much on just being active around the yard, beach, etc. I really need a bit of a wake up call and get back in the zone.

Time to get back at it!

You lose weight so you can do that stuff, so do that stuff, then get back to it.

On 6/21/2021 at 9:53 AM, Gawain said:

243.3 today, 4.6 pounds last week and 32.7 in total. Saturday was a "bad" day because of a birthday/father's day celebration, but managed to make pretty good choices and got back after it yesterday. Wife and kids are gone until July 3rd, so hope to ramp up activity that would normally be spent on them when I get home from work. 

Hope everyone had a tremendous father's day!

241.3 today, 2 pounds last week and 34.7 in total. Had a couple of worse days than normal, power was out for 7 hours and I never tested the generator when I bought my house, so had to have dinner out of the pantry. Went out with some friends on Saturday. Bar had an EH Taylor that I wanted to try before opening my bottle at home. Also, progress has to get slower as the easy weight comes to an end. I also have to get my exercise up. Holding steady with an IF of 20:4, having two meals in that period of 600-800 calories each.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Cutting 20 lbs in 4 months while training for a marathon seems pretty straightforward but remember you always lose some muscle mass when you lose weight.  I know you mentioned in the 10k thread that you were working on your leg muscle, and you can't add muscle mass if you're in a calorie deficit. It migut also be tough to lose weight closer to race day.  So maybe try to target a couple months of hard dieting and then coasting a littlw as you get closer to the day 

leg strength comment was more in relation to not having lost as much there despite not running near enough lately. I have done a lot of squat/semi-squats while umpiring baseball games all spring. cardio level has suffered but overall strength feels good as I start to ramp the miles back up. 

I have zero plans/desire to do any kind of 'hard dieting'. Goal is really around just being conscious about what I'm putting in my body while also making a better effort to get out and run/exercise a lot more. My big weakness lately has been overeating/drinking. I got down from 215ish to about 199/200 earlier this year and stayed there for a while but the last month +/- has not been good to me and I have crept back up to 205. 

About 192 or 193 is as low as I have been in 22 years and counting - that was about 2 years ago while training for my only completed marathon. 

• Like 1

Back to the drawing board...

I tried to modify my diet to do the keto, which I had great success with, but be careful to not get gout and kidney stones with more water, additive to the water (citrate) and watching how much food I was taking in that were not good for kidney stones and gout. 

Pretty much everything I find that has citrate has some level of carbs. So, I tried to drink more water and less of the Crystal Light kind of drinks with the citrate. I ended up with a minor flare up of gout a few months ago and so I went back to drinking lots of citrate out of fear of kidney stones (citrate is more about prevention of kidney stones but I got a lot of flare ups of gout leading up to the stones so I am worried it was a sign of stones too). Doing that kept me out of ketosis. I kept trying to find a balance but I ended up with another big flare of gout right now. My weight loss stalled. 

So, forget that balance. Keto is out. The purines that cause uric acid and the phosphates are in a lot of similar foods. 

I think I will go to a low calorie and watching portions approach that leans away from the foods that are to be avoided for gout and kidney stones. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bostonfred said:

You lose weight so you can do that stuff, so do that stuff, then get back to it.

That is exactly my thinking too but I know myself too well and can go too far down that road if I’m not careful. I thought actually writing it out here will help me with my personal accountability. The real test will be the next month - I’m on holidays the month of July and need to make sure I still get enough exercise to balance the BBQ and brews.

• Like 1