What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (5 Viewers)

starting weight 189... had a good week except for ice cream on Sunday. tried to stay under 1500 calories for the day. Did not weigh all week, as I can be obsessive with daily fluctuations. As of this morning I am 186. Was hoping for more, but good first week. will add some cardio this week and see what happens.

I had a good exercise weekend but not great for food. Ended up at maintenance calories saturday and close to it on Sunday.  But I did a bunch of yoga and running/rowing/pushups, plus playing with my kid after an unexpected snow storm.  Could do worse. 

Today's better, at least so far. Coffee, skyr with 20 raspberries and a little protein granola, and a meatball in a dinner roll for lunch which is 300 calories but worth it.  Close to 50g protein and 27g fiber and I've got most of my calories left for dinner. 

How is everyone doing?  Let's keep up the good work. 

@Navin Johnson
So far, so good.  Having a hard time tracking actua calories as we have been getting take out most evenings.  Pretty sure I stay under as I usually just get a falafel sandwich with about 650 cals left to use.  Sun-Mon is killing me.  Getting cold here so my wife insists I cook chili on sundays and shepherd's pie on Mondays.  Doesn't help sitting down with a beer and a bag of chips to watch RedZone either.  Still on pace to lose 10 but was optimistic it would be closer to 20.

I have not pooped in 3 days 
This is part of the reason I started tracking fiber along with calories and protein. And it was difficult to hit all three goals until I discovered that raspberries have about 1g of fiber each. So 20 berries in a bowl, dump a tub of skyr yogurt on top (high protein, low calorie even vs greek yogurt) and maybe some granola and I'm good. High fiber instant oatmeal has 10g per packet, popcorn, salads and broccoli/cauliflower are all pretty good too.

When you're cutting weight and not getting enough fiber and water it's Not Good. If you dont usually get enough fiber then when you first add it to your diet you get all kinds of farts and poops.  That puts a lot of people off of those foods,, but it goes away quick.. imagine a drain pipe filled with moss and slime and gunk and then you dump a load of gravel down the pipe and it just scrapes the yuck off the walls on the way down.  Do that a few times and you'll see the pipe drains faster. 

Did great the first part of the week - went from 205 to 199.4.

Then had my work virtual Christmas party which wasn't totally virtual for me since some other VP's came into town and I ended up eating and drinking quite a bit. Then, on Sunday my wife says - let's go to Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers for the Cardinals game. I mean, how do I say no to that?

Haven't weighed in yet, but I'm afraid. Gonna give it a couple days and check back.

@Major sorry I missed you, if I missed anyone else let me know.
No worries Fred.  I'm not actively weighing in as I'm more at a maintenance point but ate fairly healthy all week.  Had a cheat day on Sunday but wasn't too bad - just a large grilled chicken pizza and several Mexican Cokes.  When I do indulge, the next day I try cut out most carbs as I don't feel my body needs them - likely gut bacteria and dopamine receptors causing the cravings.  

Not so good.  I’ve been increasing exercise, but my diet hasn’t changed much.  
That was me this weekend unfortunately and usually I'm pretty good with it when I decide to be. 

Are you using myfitnesspal or any other tool to help?  Just the ritual of logging sometimes helps to remind me to be good.  

That was me this weekend unfortunately and usually I'm pretty good with it when I decide to be. 

Are you using myfitnesspal or any other tool to help?  Just the ritual of logging sometimes helps to remind me to be good.  
Ditto.  The process of typing food into the app makes me pause before I eat something, knowing that I’ll have to document that food intake right away.  Do I really want to consume 400-500 calories of M&Ms right now? Yes.  Even though they will go into the app?  Ok, no, not really.

I’m down 3.5-4 lbs in the past 10 days.   Steady progress.  Below target calories every day.  Still have had a donut, ice cream, a couple of waffles.  Not totally depriving myself, just making more consistently healthy choices.

I’m not.  I will have to try it.  It doesn’t help that I have beer AND liquor on tap in my house. I likely need to check into the alcoholic thread. 

I’m not.  I will have to try it.  It doesn’t help that I have beer AND liquor on tap in my house. I likely need to check into the alcoholic thread. 
It changed my life. Seriously. 

And yes a lot of us are drinking more during the pandemic. I suspect a lot of us are walking a dangerous line near real, not kidding, permanent alcoholism. 

Just to be clear, I am not judging, I drink more than I probably should. I also don't think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. But I do think increasing your alcohol consumption for an extended period - which a lot of us seem to be doing - should be taken seriously. If you're concerned then that thread might be a good place to start.

I'm just checking in. Right now I'm bouncing between 184.3 and 185. I'm doing well at watching my calories and have increased my workouts.

My brother did comment on my weight loss the other day. He said I needed to watch my weight loss so I don't get the big head on a small body look, or look weak.

It changed my life. Seriously. 

And yes a lot of us are drinking more during the pandemic. I suspect a lot of us are walking a dangerous line near real, not kidding, permanent alcoholism. 

Just to be clear, I am not judging, I drink more than I probably should. I also don't think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. But I do think increasing your alcohol consumption for an extended period - which a lot of us seem to be doing - should be taken seriously. If you're concerned then that thread might be a good place to start.
I usually chill with a beer or two per night.  Not every night, but it has been more frequent during this pandemic.  It’s something that I have control over, but it makes it hard when it comes to counting calories. I figure if I am exercising more and can control my portion size, which I’m terrible at, it will be much better than what I was doing, even if I still have the drinks.  I will try the fitness app. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I ate way too much last week. But I didn’t gain any. So that’s a win. My husband has lost more so he’s closing in on me and that doesn’t make me happy. Doing better this week. Thanks for checking on us. 

Starting weight this morning was 221.  I plan on doing a mix of IF, with better meal plans.  It's the food/snacking between meals that gets me.  I'm looking at one large meal a day, with 3 small healthy snacks during the day.  Trying to keep the premise simple, expel more calories than I take in on a given day. To help with the holidays, I picked up an extra shift at a warehouse which forces me to lift/move heavy objects for about 4 hours a day.  It's like getting paid to go to the gym!  At least that's how I'm looking at it.  Constant movement on my feet, squats, repeated lifting of 25-50lbs.  Looking forward to seeing how this goes.
Rough time last week as my body/brain had to get used to a new sleep schedule.  I went up to 223, but as of this morning I'm down to 220.  I think I've figured out the balance.  Now it's a matter of maintaining and decreasing the intake.  It's going to be a process.

Update and my apologies, it's been a week but a lot is happening on this side of the screen, just haven't had time to launch new threads or find a good spot to update. 

Last I left I was at around 450 Minutes, it's been a lot of Tennis and I am proud to say I played my first 2 Sets of Singles this past Sunday. I was asked to play by a very healthy man who has watched me continue to progress over the last many months as I have dropped about 50 lbs off this frame and just simply roll thru the Court in ways I never ever could previously.

He rocked me pretty good winning 3 of the first 4 games and breaking my serve which drives me nuts because I have a big height advantage over most players at 6-3, many of these guys are well under 6 feet and my serve is coming downhill if that makes sense. I got focused and also my serving arm got loosened up and I ripped the next 5 games from him, took the set 6-3. I managed to win 6-4 in the 2nd but let me share that 90 Minutes of Singles is like 3-4 hours of Doubles or maybe even more intense. You are hitting every ball, twice as many service games, I could work on so many more strokes and angles playing Singles, you never stop. In Doubles I might not hit a ball for 2-3 games if the opposing team hits it away from me to my partner.  It was a workout I could feel well into Monday morning. 

Last Tue, Thurs, Sat Morn, Sun Morn...That's like 8 hours or 480 Minutes added to I had about 450 previously...

930 Minutes going into today.  Should be able to go past 2,000 minutes by Christmas. 

185 when I weighed in on Turkey Day, was 180 on the last weight in...

Scheduled for City Doubles at the Gardens tonight 6:30...My team hasn't dropped a Set all season, we go 11 weeks and have about 3 weeks left on this go around. 

I have an Otis style update but it will go in the Otis thread...It involves a potential Caitlyn Jenner encounter while I was stretching on one of the outer courts for my Thursday Night league I organize and run. 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           1210
  • Nov 28         223.3                 -2.8                   1400
  • Nov 29         221.7                 -4.4                   1450
  • Nov 30         221.5                 -4.6                   1450
  • Dec 1           221.5                 -4.6                    1410
  • Dec 2           220.4                 -5.7                    1470
  • Dec 3           220.9                 -5.2                    1470
  • Dec 4           221.7                 -4.4                    1450
  • Dec 5           220.0                 -6.1                    1430
  • Dec 6           219.1                 -7.0                    1500
  • Dec 7           219.1                 -7.0                    1420
  • Dec 8           218.4                 -7.7
I've hit the point where I'm not really hungry anymore like the first week or so of the diet.  Have only really felt "shaky" a couple of times and got a snack at those points to help me through it.

I'm just checking in. Right now I'm bouncing between 184.3 and 185. I'm doing well at watching my calories and have increased my workouts.

My brother did comment on my weight loss the other day. He said I needed to watch my weight loss so I don't get the big head on a small body look, or look weak.
How tall are you?  I would love to be at 185 at 6 feet tall.

I need to hear more about this. How are you going to prevent that?

Slow weight loss to give the body time to adjust is what I've observed over the years.
This, plus strength training, is also the recommendation for people losing large amounts of weight and trying to avoid loose extra skin. Your skin expands and contracts to your current size and when you change too quickly it can't keep up. If you gain a lot of weight and then quickly lose it, you get stretch marks. If your body reshapes to a larger size and then you lose weight rapidly, the skin doesn't have a chance to keep up, and you get that weird big belly button, and keep some of your man boobs and love handles permanently.  Working out more helps because you are filling up some of that skin, but really it's about doing it gradually.  

The other recommendation I'm seeing more and more often is "reverse dieting", which is basically a slow yoyo down. Work really hard, lose 15, and then switch to maintenance calories or a little more, and do some weight lifting. Let your metabolism reset to maintenance mode, eat a bunch of protein to add some muscle, including some of the muscle you inevitably lose when cutting calories, and then get back to the diet with a little more muscle behind you burning extra calories in your sleep.

I don't know whether this is a new fad diet and Otis is on timeout so I can't test it by telling him about it and seeing if he immediately commits and declares himself an Adonis.  But it's something I'm definitely trying to do as I lose a bunch of weight.

My approach is to go on a hard push of several weeks up to a couple months, cut alcohol, cut calories down significantly, eat enough fiber and protein to avoid health problems and muscle loss, keep working out enough to keep my muscles active and maybe growing a little, and then back to maintenance. I'm also working on my core, back and chest/arms. Yes i skip leg day, but only because my legs are absurdly strong compared with my weak upper body from cycling and running over the years. I tone them with yoga and running/rowing but I'm not doing pistol squats right now.

I see a noticeable improvement in my upper body - not just muscles, but a move from the forward drooping beer gut to more of a barrel chest.  It's not dramatic, but it's definitely happening.  I'm hopeful that as I lose more weight it will continue.

• Dec 8           218.4                 -7.7                    1470
  • Dec 9           217.8                 -8.3     

Day 2 no carbs

Ran Saturday and Sunday  and limited sugar and booze intake

Running again this afternoon  💪
Day 3 no Carbs - Salad and a piece of fish for dinner last night

About to go for a run - 4 of 5 days and a breakfast today of a protein bar and a snack of almonds... 

I still have no found a scale but feeling good about getting back on the straight and narrow for the 1st time in way too long  :bag:  

• Dec 8           218.4                 -7.7                    1470
  • Dec 9           217.8                 -8.3                    2120
  • Dec 10         217.1                 -9.0
I would expect an increase tomorrow and maybe the next day.  A friend called me last night and needed to meet and wanted to buy me pizza.  I was worried about him so I went and had 2 slices and a mozzerella (sp) stick.  Very good but I was proud I kept myself at 2 slices, could have easily eaten 4 plus 2 more cheese sticks.  Also, even with an increase with water intake, I only had a small poop 2 days ago and didn't poop at all yesterday which is really out of the normal for me.

ETA:  As soon as I typed in I hadn't pooped, it was like my body said "Oh yeah, we haven't pooped!" Situation resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I set a 4-week goal, it basically contemplated me eating ~1500 "net" calories per day.   That caloric intake -- given my normal level of activity (excluding intense workouts) -- suggested I would meet my target goal of losing 7-8 lbs by Christmas.   I'm trying to only weigh myself twice per week, because it should be more that I stick to the process than focus manically on the daily metric.   (no judgment against others who weigh themselves every day;  knowing my own OCD, if I went down that path I would probably weigh myself 3-4x per day, hahaha)

Anyway, here is what my daily "net" calories have been the past two weeks:

11/28:  1350

11/29:  1130

11/30:  1450

12/1:  1575

12/2:  1150

12/3:  1175

12/4:  1300

12/5:  1500

12/6:  1400

12/7:  1650

12/8:  1550

12/9:  1350

12/10:   1175

Avg = 1365 calories per day

So far I feel good about how things are going.  I'm literally tracking every single item of food that I consume.  Every day.  Every meal.  Every snack.  All of it.

Most days, I'm sticking to eating pretty healthy food overall.   In fact, when I look at my food consumption now vs a few weeks ago, it's amazing how much junk food used to be a part of my diet.   Sure...every day still involves at least one indulgence -- a small scoop of ice cream, a donut, a waffle, etc.   But I used to eat a donut AND have two scoops of ice cream after dinner.  Or finish off a 1/2 bag of M&Ms during a boring work meeting.   It's hard to do that now though, knowing it will get entered into the fitness app.

Results have been steady so far.  I'm down ~ 5 lbs since making the decision two weeks ago to join this esteemed group.   Next official weigh in is tomorrow.....expecting to be down 5-6 lbs total at this point.  Fully expect the weight loss to slow down, and that's ok.  My goal was 7-8 lbs of weight loss by Christmas, but my real plan was to go all out and lose 10.   So far so good.  Gotta keep building good habits.  Even when I reach the goal.....want to continue using the app every day.....and then set a new goal to maintain weight while building upper body muscle.

The most amazing things so far:  1) I don't feel tired or in need of a nap during the day;  2) my body is learning to re-define what "hunger" feels like;  3) not craving sugar the same way that I used to.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, especially BF, for being supportive and encouraging.   It's great to feel accountable not just to myself, but to this group.   Really helps.

High for the year Aug 19, 249.2, low for the year Feb 1, 219.3.  Expecting a small hiccup as we delayed our Thanksgiving to today for family reasons.  Need to punch some recipes into MFA to track more accurately.  As noted above, cutting breakfast in half and having a couple protein bars (348 total calories and 50g protein) to get my macros in line.

• Date            |    Weight      |      Fat%       |       +/-     
  • Nov 24             237 lbs           34.6%               -----        
  • Nov 29            231.1 lbs         31.1%            (5.9 lbs)   
  • Nov 30             234 lbs           31.7%            (3 lbs) 
  • Dec 1              232.7 lbs         32.4%            (4.3 lbs)
  • Dec 4               230.8 lbs         31.1%           (6.2 lbs)   
  • Dec 5               230.4 lbs         31.9%           (6.6 lbs)
  • Dec 10             230.2 lbs         33.0%           (6.8 lbs)

What to do with these Christmas packages filled with chocolates, pastries and other goodies?  They just keep arriving in the mail.  I don't want to open Pandora's box just yet.  Lord give me strength.  

What to do with these Christmas packages filled with chocolates, pastries and other goodies?  They just keep arriving in the mail.  I don't want to open Pandora's box just yet.  Lord give me strength.  
If you'd like, I can PM you my address.
Because I like to help others achieve their goals.

Users who are viewing this thread