What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Jul 13           194.4                -                                                  1320
  • Jul 14           192.2                -2.2                                             1540
  • Jul 15           190.9                -3.5                                             1470
  • Jul 16           190.9                -3.5                                             1470
  • Jul 17           188.9                -5.5                                             1520
  • Jul 18           188.7                -5.7                                             1830
  • Jul 19           191.3                -3.1                                             1540
  • Jul 20           189.8                -4.6                     -4.6                  
4.6 loss the first week to get me back under the guardrail of 190.  I'll push on towards 185.  Weight loss from this point will be much slower so expecting 1.5 to 2.0 the next few weeks, which should put me on target to be back at 185 for my birthday on August 10.

Ran 90 minutes last night, and have been killing the exercise.  Mentally I'm just not committing to the diet.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  I've been here before, and gotten back on track. I've been working out a good amount.  And I'm usually just above or below maintenance calories- I haven't had any huge binges, just failing to lose weight. I feel like I'm supposed to be upset with myself...   I'm just not.  I won't hit the goal I set earlier but I never really felt like I could get there, either.  What I need to do is find a way to commit again without feeling like I'm depriving myself or cheating.  That's a negative emotion I don’t need in my life 

Well, the good news about going over calories recently is that I'm adding muscle.  Pretty much every exercise is showing improvement and i can see some in the mirror.  I'm sure I've added fat, I've had more food and drink than I should have the last couple weeks, but I'm also having my fruits and vegetables and protein every day and have picked up my workout program a good bit.  

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Jul 13           194.4                -                                                  ---
  • Jul 20           189.8                -4.6                     -4.6                  Avg daily calories 1527
  • Jul 21           191.3                -3.1                                             1450
Perplexing gain, been very erratic the last few days. Could be corp related as I went 2 days without, but that's a lot of poop.  Staying on the trail regardless of the bumps on the way.

Thanks for standing up for your wife but not escalating it to where you had to make that call. Women come in all different shapes and sizes and mindsets. She will come to a conclusion to change if/when she wants to. Anything you say to “encourage” her in that direction will hurt her feelings or push her further from where you want her to be. 
It's fine that you responded, after some reflection I erased about the same time you posted. It's been eating at me, still feels selfish to talk about. But I agree with what you wrote. 

Last edited by a moderator:
230.2 today, 5.3 pounds last week and 45.8 in total. Kids were visiting family, got sick from the reopening and passed it on to me and the wife. A couple of these pounds are dehydration from Mucinex I'm sure. Still, well on my way to being sub-230 by the end of July, then shooting for 220 by the end of August. I was in the 220s 18 months ago or so, but it's been a while since I've been sub 220.
228.7 today. 1.5 pounds last week and 47.3 in total. Made the sub-230 goal by the end of the month. Next goal is sub 220 by the end of August. Took the day off and are taking the kids to a little amusement park in our neck of the woods. Oldest is 5, so not any big roller coasters or anything, but I'm hopeful that I don't have any fat-man stuck-on-ride issues.

Weekly Update - 

07/05/2021 - 202
07/12/2021 - 199 (-3) 
07/19/2021 - 196 (-3) 
07/26/2021 - 197 (+1)

Total Lost - 5

Didn’t do anything differently this week and only had one day where I went I over so who knows, right?

Here's my status update since starting my loosely based on keto diet in the beginning of June. It's really more of an avoiding carbs as much as possible plan. I've also had post-COVID fatigue and all that comes with it.

I'm down 25 pounds or so, definitely look and feel a bit better with more energy. Since I was so tired, I have been mostly been walking or hiking. Had plenty of days where I was out for 10+ miles. Getting to the point where that is both getting boring and too time consuming and will probably give the gym a try again soon.

The worst part is my sleep is totally messed up. My doctor suggested I get more exercise, but no matter how much I do physically, I don't get any additional sleep. I usually only get 2-4 hours, and when I wake up I can't fall asleep again. It's a vicious cycle . . . one next night I fall asleep extra early and then wake up way earlier as well . . . and I will fall asleep even earlier the next night. When I try to force myself to stay up later, I don't wake up any later.

I've had nights when I fell asleep at 9:30 and woke up before midnight. That makes for a really long day the next day as a comatose zombie and being really unproductive. I have no problem falling asleep . . . it's staying asleep or waking up and falling back asleep. Not sure the sleep issue has anything to do with diet or exercise . . . it may just be a post-COVID thing.

Some of you have spouses or significant others and these people sometimes are not very helpful to us, other times they save our hides so it's incredibly difficult to discuss the many pains of trying to get healthy when both husband and wife or two companions are not in great shape and one is trying to make a change. I'm going to go thru a few scenarios that likely happen in some of y'alls homes. 

-She likes to eat as soon as her feet touch the ground rolling out of bed, in fact if she can get me to make it and bring it to her, she really would prefer to not vacate the area until she's had her first meal. On the other hand I don't like to eat until early afternoon outside of coffee and water, occasionally I might have some fruit if I feel like I need it. Now I ask you, before the day even starts we are on completely different tracks, yes/no? We don't make good workout partners or health buddies because we don't eat alike, look alike, let's face it I'm a man she's a woman, we aren't built the same so I encourage you married folks to break off from your partner(health wise) and take control of what and when you eat. 

-2nd thing is even more important than the 1st part I mentioned. I was walking relatively on a regular basis going back to March/April 2020 when the pandemic broke out and we were all forced to stay home or we took it upon ourselves to stay out of harms way and that's when I started hitting the trails more. It definitely created a weight gap if you want to call it that, between my wife and I. I think we look great together but she's curvy and I've been more on the slimmer side the last year or two. So I allowed her to get me to stay inside more and more(you see what i did there) the last couple months and it started when she would ask if she could come with me...now there's a lot involved with this but I'm going to simply say that I don't feel she always truly wants to go for the walk or bike ride with me, so I have a rule I put in place and it stops the nonsense. 

MoP Rule: You can come along but DON'T ASK if you can exercise. "Can I come?" DON'T ASK! Just put on the shoes or your clothes and come, I'm not waiting at the door for 20 minutes so you can get ready or need me to encourage or push you to go. When I want to exercise or stretch or get outside I go, I don't need to ask permission. What this is about, the other person is wanting you to cheer them on or encourage them and take a real stake in their health and future, that's not good. Because they are going to start wanting you to push them and I can barely push myself, in fact I fail quite a bit and have of late because we are watching 2-3-4 hours of TV or old movies the last month or two. 

This has nothing to do with how much you love or don't love your S/O, it's about how much you love yourself and are willing to do to help yourself which ultimately will help both of you in the long run. 

I'm not mean, she was bellyaching about her bike and the tires so I took it into the shop and got all new tires for her Cannondale so she can ride with me. She's got an inflatable paddle board, Rollerblades, tennis rackets and a pretty good player she's married to I might add, beach access, water access, a pool, yoga, a free gym at the hospital, it's all there. 

Here's my status update since starting my loosely based on keto diet in the beginning of June. It's really more of an avoiding carbs as much as possible plan. I've also had post-COVID fatigue and all that comes with it.

I'm down 25 pounds or so, definitely look and feel a bit better with more energy. Since I was so tired, I have been mostly been walking or hiking. Had plenty of days where I was out for 10+ miles. Getting to the point where that is both getting boring and too time consuming and will probably give the gym a try again soon.

The worst part is my sleep is totally messed up. My doctor suggested I get more exercise, but no matter how much I do physically, I don't get any additional sleep. I usually only get 2-4 hours, and when I wake up I can't fall asleep again. It's a vicious cycle . . . one next night I fall asleep extra early and then wake up way earlier as well . . . and I will fall asleep even earlier the next night. When I try to force myself to stay up later, I don't wake up any later.

I've had nights when I fell asleep at 9:30 and woke up before midnight. That makes for a really long day the next day as a comatose zombie and being really unproductive. I have no problem falling asleep . . . it's staying asleep or waking up and falling back asleep. Not sure the sleep issue has anything to do with diet or exercise . . . it may just be a post-COVID thing.
Can I ask about caffeine and alcohol in take daily/weekly? 

Can I ask about caffeine and alcohol in take daily/weekly? 
Caffeine is usually a coffee first thing in the morning. Maybe a second cup once in a while if I am really lagging (but usually nothing past 10 AM). Alcohol is mostly non-existent . . . maybe one drink every other weekend.

I generally have been eating dinner a lot earlier (like 5:00) with nothing after that. I'd suggest maybe I was just hungry but don't wake up in the night hungry. I've tried eating later and that didn't make any difference.

I also tried getting exercise earlier in the day so not to be wound up before bedtime. Also made no difference.

Anyone doing noom? I’m reading up on it and it sounds nice. But do I need to spend $149 for 5 months? I have gone back up to 192, +2 from my low of 190. I May have gotten into a cookie dough habit. Anyway, what intrigued me about this noom is the behavior modification angle. I know why I’m fat. I’ve had 11 babies over 20 years and lived on mnms for most of that time. I’d like help with changing behaviors and understanding why I’m doing what I’m doing. But I’m pretty sure I know the answer is I’m lazy and addicted to sugar. So do I need to pay for that insight? 

Some of you have spouses or significant others and these people sometimes are not very helpful to us, other times they save our hides so it's incredibly difficult to discuss the many pains of trying to get healthy when both husband and wife or two companions are not in great shape and one is trying to make a change. I'm going to go thru a few scenarios that likely happen in some of y'alls homes. 

-She likes to eat as soon as her feet touch the ground rolling out of bed, in fact if she can get me to make it and bring it to her, she really would prefer to not vacate the area until she's had her first meal. On the other hand I don't like to eat until early afternoon outside of coffee and water, occasionally I might have some fruit if I feel like I need it. Now I ask you, before the day even starts we are on completely different tracks, yes/no? We don't make good workout partners or health buddies because we don't eat alike, look alike, let's face it I'm a man she's a woman, we aren't built the same so I encourage you married folks to break off from your partner(health wise) and take control of what and when you eat. 

-2nd thing is even more important than the 1st part I mentioned. I was walking relatively on a regular basis going back to March/April 2020 when the pandemic broke out and we were all forced to stay home or we took it upon ourselves to stay out of harms way and that's when I started hitting the trails more. It definitely created a weight gap if you want to call it that, between my wife and I. I think we look great together but she's curvy and I've been more on the slimmer side the last year or two. So I allowed her to get me to stay inside more and more(you see what i did there) the last couple months and it started when she would ask if she could come with me...now there's a lot involved with this but I'm going to simply say that I don't feel she always truly wants to go for the walk or bike ride with me, so I have a rule I put in place and it stops the nonsense. 

MoP Rule: You can come along but DON'T ASK if you can exercise. "Can I come?" DON'T ASK! Just put on the shoes or your clothes and come, I'm not waiting at the door for 20 minutes so you can get ready or need me to encourage or push you to go. When I want to exercise or stretch or get outside I go, I don't need to ask permission. What this is about, the other person is wanting you to cheer them on or encourage them and take a real stake in their health and future, that's not good. Because they are going to start wanting you to push them and I can barely push myself, in fact I fail quite a bit and have of late because we are watching 2-3-4 hours of TV or old movies the last month or two. 

This has nothing to do with how much you love or don't love your S/O, it's about how much you love yourself and are willing to do to help yourself which ultimately will help both of you in the long run. 

I'm not mean, she was bellyaching about her bike and the tires so I took it into the shop and got all new tires for her Cannondale so she can ride with me. She's got an inflatable paddle board, Rollerblades, tennis rackets and a pretty good player she's married to I might add, beach access, water access, a pool, yoga, a free gym at the hospital, it's all there. 
I'm so glad I'm not married.  

Anyone doing noom? I’m reading up on it and it sounds nice. But do I need to spend $149 for 5 months? I have gone back up to 192, +2 from my low of 190. I May have gotten into a cookie dough habit. Anyway, what intrigued me about this noom is the behavior modification angle. I know why I’m fat. I’ve had 11 babies over 20 years and lived on mnms for most of that time. I’d like help with changing behaviors and understanding why I’m doing what I’m doing. But I’m pretty sure I know the answer is I’m lazy and addicted to sugar. So do I need to pay for that insight? 
If you're lazy, then yes you should pay.  Most of the info you want is online for free so I think it's a waste.   Save your money for personal gym training sessions where they can sit with you on form, etc.  

a doctor i was speaking with recommended Noom as well, saying it was very helpful. I thought about it, but the price was a little heavy for me at the time. I have had pretty good success with time restricted eating, and that may be a good start. Instead of paying just try to not eat anything after 9:00 at night, or wait an hour or so before breakfast. good way to start it, but it isn't for everybody either

and 11 babies over 20 years  :shock: . my one 4 year old has me running circles around the house, can't even fathom. 

a doctor i was speaking with recommended Noom as well, saying it was very helpful. I thought about it, but the price was a little heavy for me at the time. I have had pretty good success with time restricted eating, and that may be a good start. Instead of paying just try to not eat anything after 9:00 at night, or wait an hour or so before breakfast. good way to start it, but it isn't for everybody either

and 11 babies over 20 years  :shock: . my one 4 year old has me running circles around the house, can't even fathom. 
1 is hard. 2 is harder. After that it gets easier. 

Somewhat interesting study.  A lot of splits are now coming out where two groups are "treated" differently as during the pandemic people were more willing to do these for money (and available time).

This is interesting because it uses CER (Calorie restriction) vs. Fasting Mimicking and tries to control for hormone changes.  It would suggest perhaps a quick (well 5 days isn't all that quick tbh) fast might have as much efficacy as 2 months of a 500 restriction, with other added benefits.   

Fasting mimicking is trendy, it's fasting anything that promotes an insulin response.  I didn't read what they fed these ladies, but I imagine they mostly existed on water and something like olive oil/greens for 5 days.  To me it sounds a lot like a juice cleanse without...juice.  Yuck.  But some people want a quick fix. @Otis

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11695-020-05202-y

Background: Fasting-mimicking diet (FMD) has been recently promoted to achieve similar metabolic changes of fasting. The purpose of our study was to compare the effect of FMD versus continuous energy restriction (CER) on anthropometric measurements, body composition, glucose metabolism, and serum levels of leptin, neuropeptide Y (NPY), and total ghrelin.

Methods: A randomized controlled trial (RCT) was conducted on 60 women with obesity aged 18–55 years. Subjects received either a 5-day FMD (low in energy, sugars, and proteins, but high in unsaturated fats) or a CER (an average daily energy deficit of 500 kcal) for 2 months. Anthropometric and biochemical factors were measured at baseline and the end of the study. Serum levels of leptin, total ghrelin, and NPY were tested with an ELISA kit. Physical activity and dietary intakes were also recorded.

Results: There was no significant difference in weight loss between the two groups: mean weight change for CER was − 2.29 (standard deviation [SD], 1.95) kg compared to − 1.13 (2.27) kg for FMD (p = 0.06). There was more reduction in the basal metabolic rate (BMR) in the CER group (p = 0.045). Favorable effects on fat mass and muscle mass were only seen in the FMD group. Although insulin resistance was reduced in the FMD group compared to the CER group, results were not significant after adjustment. After controlling for potential confounders, there was a significant increase in serum levels of total ghrelin (p = 0.048) and NPY (p = 0.041) following CER; however, results for circulating leptin were not statistically significant (p = 0.48).

Conclusions: There was no significant difference in weight loss following FMD and CER. However, FMD was more effective at reducing insulin resistance and regulating appetite-regulating hormones as well as preserving muscle mass and BMR.

Im on a quest to find articles that will teach me something else to do instead if eat. I thought maybe some if you would find them helpful. They are very chick-centric though so maybe you won’t. 
https://80twentynutrition.com/blog/201-things-to-do-instead-of-eat-when-you-arent-hungry/
I like the list although "i signed up for an improv class because I was hungry on Tuesday" might be tough to explain later. I do think learning strategies is a great idea. 

For me, though, "Do this instead of eating" is the mindset of an external locus of control.  Eating is this thing that has control over you and you're trying to defend yourself from it. 

It's easy to think about those chips and decide not to eat them one time, but I'm going to think about them again in a minute and then I need to decide not to eat them again.  And again.  I only need to crack once. So one important thing for me is not to buy chips. 

I am trying to have an internal locus of control.  I decide things for myself.  And for me that means being intentional about my eating.  I'm going to have coffee this morning, then berries and yogurt for a late breakfast, then x for lunch, and y for dinner.  I know this. I can commit to it because I'm not denying myself food, I'm planning to eat it... just not yet.  

I know that if I have my berries too early I will be hungrier earlier so I'll have my lunch earlier and then my dinner and be more likely to want a snack.  My willpower is better earlier in the day so i can live with just coffee for now.

I never have to tell myself "don't eat", I just think "do I want to eat yet or wait?"

I know that seems like the same thing but it really isn't. 

If the replacement activity is the thing that works for you, though, then try looking up the food you want in myfitnesspal (or anywhere online) and checking the nutrition. I'm day dreaming about olive garden tonight, let me look up the bread sticks and oh no ok, I guess no bread sticks unless that's my whole dinner.  Hmm, the shrimp pasta isn't too bad though. Maybe we can do that. By the time I'm done with that, the craving is over and I've got a sense that I could have it even if I don't end up getting it tonight... it's not a craving I'm fighting, but an option I'm giving myself later.  

I like the list although "i signed up for an improv class because I was hungry on Tuesday" might be tough to explain later. I do think learning strategies is a great idea. 

For me, though, "Do this instead of eating" is the mindset of an external locus of control.  Eating is this thing that has control over you and you're trying to defend yourself from it. 

It's easy to think about those chips and decide not to eat them one time, but I'm going to think about them again in a minute and then I need to decide not to eat them again.  And again.  I only need to crack once. So one important thing for me is not to buy chips. 

I am trying to have an internal locus of control.  I decide things for myself.  And for me that means being intentional about my eating.  I'm going to have coffee this morning, then berries and yogurt for a late breakfast, then x for lunch, and y for dinner.  I know this. I can commit to it because I'm not denying myself food, I'm planning to eat it... just not yet.  

I know that if I have my berries too early I will be hungrier earlier so I'll have my lunch earlier and then my dinner and be more likely to want a snack.  My willpower is better earlier in the day so i can live with just coffee for now.

I never have to tell myself "don't eat", I just think "do I want to eat yet or wait?"

I know that seems like the same thing but it really isn't. 

If the replacement activity is the thing that works for you, though, then try looking up the food you want in myfitnesspal (or anywhere online) and checking the nutrition. I'm day dreaming about olive garden tonight, let me look up the bread sticks and oh no ok, I guess no bread sticks unless that's my whole dinner.  Hmm, the shrimp pasta isn't too bad though. Maybe we can do that. By the time I'm done with that, the craving is over and I've got a sense that I could have it even if I don't end up getting it tonight... it's not a craving I'm fighting, but an option I'm giving myself later.  
Thanks. I am just trying to figure out what other people do to find something that works for me. I have zero will power. I’m an addict waiting to happen so I try to be careful what I start on. Obviously sugar wasn’t on my radar to be wary of 50 years ago like alcohol and cigarettes were. So here I am. I do have my foods planned. I do look it up on mfp. I’m trying to figure out something that will help me get off sugar. 

Thanks. I am just trying to figure out what other people do to find something that works for me. I have zero will power. I’m an addict waiting to happen so I try to be careful what I start on. Obviously sugar wasn’t on my radar to be wary of 50 years ago like alcohol and cigarettes were. So here I am. I do have my foods planned. I do look it up on mfp. I’m trying to figure out something that will help me get off sugar. 
That sounds similar to what I do but I mean the specific things I do during a carb craving are to think about my next planned meal and decide if I want to have it now, and to think about that thing I'm craving and look up the nutrition information and then make a decision about it.  And preferably, I won't have it in the house in the first place, in which case I can plan out the steps to go get it if it's a specific thing I'm craving... like ok once I'm done with work, if I'm still craving this, I'll get in the car and drive to dairy queen and hit the drive thru... but if I go ill just get a small... let me look up how many calories that is... ok, I could do that but I'd have to either run or just skip dinner and I wasn't planning to run tonight... I guess I could have this and then go for a walk and have some vegetable for dinner... then at least I'm not back sliding... 

By the time I've thought through it like that, I almost feel like I've gotten to enjoy the thing I wanted.  The craving is gone because it wasn't the wanting it, it was the denying it that was difficult for me.  Once I give myself permission to have it, it just becomes a perfunctory decision do I really want it and if so when will I go get it.  It's like an errand, and now my inherent laziness has become my ally 😆.  And if I really do want it that much then I go get it.  

Oof. The last 6 weeks were not good. 216.6 this morning. 
About a week back into logging food in MFP, eating less, and exercising more. Back to 212.0. Shooting for 210.0 by the end of the month. Shouldn't be a problem, but posting it here to keep me accountable. 
Expand  
210.8 this morning. 
213-214 the last two days. I had Asian for dinner on Monday or Tuesday, and I typically blow up after high sodium meals, so that's not unexpected. Just continue plugging along and trusting the process, even if it doesn't show on the scale everyday. 

I haven't been cheating at all, but I seem to be stuck on 290.  I'm thinking cashews, strawberries, and blueberries are to blame.  Feeling great though 

PIK95 said:
I haven't been cheating at all, but I seem to be stuck on 290.  I'm thinking cashews, strawberries, and blueberries are to blame.  Feeling great though 
Cashews maybe, but youd be the first person since the willy wonka movie to gain weight eating strawberries and blueberries 

Nuts have a ton of calories for their size so for someone who is used to eating a lot of volume it's easy to overdo it.  

228.7 today. 1.5 pounds last week and 47.3 in total. Made the sub-230 goal by the end of the month. Next goal is sub 220 by the end of August. Took the day off and are taking the kids to a little amusement park in our neck of the woods. Oldest is 5, so not any big roller coasters or anything, but I'm hopeful that I don't have any fat-man stuck-on-ride issues.
226.6 today. 2.1 pounds last week and closing in on the 50 pound mark (49.4). No issues fitting into rides. Nice to see some of the work paying off.

Fast food my way...

-Cod fish was HALF Price today at Fresh Mkt round the corner, I jumped on it as others were lining up to get some as well. You could use another fish but Cod is pretty much everywhere, this was "Wild Caught" 

-Take some sun dried tomatoes and some black olives about 50/50, throw those in the processor and also add parmesan preferably off the block in little chunks and slowly blend or in little 2-3 second spurts or you will puree the bottom and the top will remain chunky, just trying to help. 

-Take this spread and now you are going to take the cod and put just a little olive oil on both sides, salt and pepper to taste and then apply the spread on top. You can cut the Cod into about 1 inch thick, 4-5 oz square pieces and then spread the tomato/olive/cheese spread and apply it to the top of the cod and place on a flat baking sheet, yes put aluminum foil down to keep clean up easy. 

-Into the oven about 5-6 inches down from the BROILER, meaning that knob Broil you hit that you usually only leave things under for a couple minutes and you're going to cook the fish for 4-5 minutes MAX, the spread is going to blacken a little bit that's normal but you are going to want to put it down on the bottom rack for the final 1-2 minutes and you can adjust times on thickness of the fish. You don't want to overcook the fish, a lot of folks like ti slightly on the underdone side in the middle but it's up to you. 

-After you take it out, just sprinkle a little olive oil and I mean very little on top of the spread and fish, let it sit for a minute or two but it's ready to eat. And you can do different spreads according to your tastes but don't be afraid to make a spread for what would other wise be pretty bland fish. You might prefer lemon slices and onion with a little garlic clove for flavor, you can mix n match or try some other fish, Salmon works well with lemon slices right on top but I prefer Teriyaka Sauce. 

Less than 20 minutes to throw all this together. I did steam some veggies to go with this, you can do whatever suits you, tonight was broccoli and we'll be having berries and grapes later for dessert. 

Cheers 

On a 12-day family trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  While I’m still keeping decent track of food intake, I’m not limiting calories for the next 10-12 days.   I’ll be back in this thread, hard at it, post-trip.

Had already drifted close to my “shut it down” weight two weeks ago, but doubled down my efforts knowing this trip was coming up.  So much driving…..tough to get enough exercise in each day.   Flip side, I’m not buying M&M’s because Mrs APK would notice and would judge me for it.  So that unhealthy dynamic will keep me more accountable.

Spent most of my adult life at 210-230.  During pandemic was up to 230.  Started a strict regime of walking to mentally get me through. Like 20k steps a day.

Shed weight to 195.  Then was shocked by a divorce.  Weight went up a little bit but once I got ahold of myself have been focused as never before.

Currently at 185 and in best shape of my life.  I run a 5k and workout in gym every day.  In 40’s am still dealing with a midsection that was full on “dad bod”.  I figure it will take me getting to 170 to mostly eliminate that.

Current tweak that seems to be working well is to eat all my carbs around my workouts, be done with workouts and carbs by 2 (other than walks).  Have shed 4 pounds in last 3 days doing that.  Hoping that can get me off a plateau and shed some of this remaining stomach fat that has been here for 20 years!

226.6 today. 2.1 pounds last week and closing in on the 50 pound mark (49.4). No issues fitting into rides. Nice to see some of the work paying off.
222.3 today. Great week, really watched my diet and got a lot of exercise. Was actually sub-222 yesterday. Staying on a strict 20/4 IF. Down 4.3 pounds last week and over the 50 pound mark (53.7). Fitting into 16.5 34/35 shirts very easily. Have a couple 18 36/37 that I now swim in. Waist is down to 38. I don't have any 36s, but looking forward to getting down to there. The vast majority of my pants are 40, so if I keep this off, I need to refresh my wardrobe.

222.3 today. Great week, really watched my diet and got a lot of exercise. Was actually sub-222 yesterday. Staying on a strict 20/4 IF. Down 4.3 pounds last week and over the 50 pound mark (53.7). Fitting into 16.5 34/35 shirts very easily. Have a couple 18 36/37 that I now swim in. Waist is down to 38. I don't have any 36s, but looking forward to getting down to there. The vast majority of my pants are 40, so if I keep this off, I need to refresh my wardrobe.
221.3 today. 1 pound last week, 54.7 overall. Need a new belt.

Spent most of my adult life at 210-230.  During pandemic was up to 230.  Started a strict regime of walking to mentally get me through. Like 20k steps a day.

Shed weight to 195.  Then was shocked by a divorce.  Weight went up a little bit but once I got ahold of myself have been focused as never before.

Currently at 185 and in best shape of my life.  I run a 5k and workout in gym every day.  In 40’s am still dealing with a midsection that was full on “dad bod”.  I figure it will take me getting to 170 to mostly eliminate that.

Current tweak that seems to be working well is to eat all my carbs around my workouts, be done with workouts and carbs by 2 (other than walks).  Have shed 4 pounds in last 3 days doing that.  Hoping that can get me off a plateau and shed some of this remaining stomach fat that has been here for 20 years!

Nice work!  Sorry to hear about the divorce.  I was wondering where you've been most of this year - I'm guessing that had something to do with it? 

Nice work!  Sorry to hear about the divorce.  I was wondering where you've been most of this year - I'm guessing that had something to do with it? 
Yeah…. Definitely been a crazy year and things that mattered so much to be a year ago seem so trivial now! Thanks for the kind words gb. 

I'm 46, haven't smoked or drank at all since covid started.  Never been much of either throughout my life. 

On June 24th I went to the dr's to change my blood pressure pills.  Hydrochlorothazide put me in a fog and I had zero motivation or muscle strength.  My blood pressure has been way high throughout covid.  150-120 basically.  They switched my pills (4th try?), and I finally feel like a million bucks.  Passed an ekg with flying colors. 

That same appointment my tests came back positive for Diabetes and cholesterol.   My weight was 318.  I have been over 300 for a few years now.  I'm about 6'2.  Even in high school when I was a runner I was 240ish.  

Anyway those tests results scared the BeJesus outta me.  In the last ten days, I have eaten low carbs.  8 blueberries, an Activia, couple of nuts, and white fish, grilled chicken and greens for dinner. That's all. Maybe a bite of cottege cheese or a cheese stick a few days.  Black coldbrew coffee also.  From basically 8pm until 10pm the next morning I fast.  Been busy so no exercise over the ten days.  When I weighed in yesterday morning a few times after I ate, I was average 296.  22 pounds down in ten days.  Yay!  I feel great.

I didn't read anything about or ever done any official diets before fwiw.  Flying by the seat of my pants.  Dropped a shirt size and the dots are piling up already!

No idea what my numbers are.  Going back in late August for follow up tests.

No cravings at all, and rarely hungry.  Just eat a bite when I feel my energy plummet.  That 12 hour fast I am consistent with.  Dr. said to try it.
August 24th will be two months since I was 318 and started eating differently.  Today I am 282, and I am still only eating about 10-20 total carbs a day.   My carbs come from blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, and yogurt mostly.  I also eat Romaine, Asparagus, and Brussel sprouts pretty often.  I stopped eating avacado a couple of weeks back.  That's when my weight started dropping again.  It's been slow but consistent. 

I went in for blood work again today ahead of my Dr appointment on Wednesday.  He will check to check my labs again to see what the story is with the diabetes and blood pressure stuff.  I doubt I will weigh 278 by Wednesday, but I will be pretty close to a forty pound weight loss in two months.  Our goal was twenty pounds, so I am obviously happy.  Still no cravings for anything.  

On a side note, a few weeks ago I drank a diet coke.  It ruined me as I was craving sugar very bad the next day.  I didn't cheat, but it was the only hard day in two months for me.  Lesson learned.  Fake sugar is a gateway, lol.

I posted once or twice in this thread early on that I was in, but refusing to weigh because it is counterproductive to my motivation. "Trust the process" I said. I began working out 60 straight days without days off, which turned into 5/7 over the summer because we travel each weekend. Typical workouts are 45 min bike, 75 pushups, arm curls, 2-3 sets of 90 second planks. Well, 8 months into what I considered huge progress eliminating belly fat and defining arm/pec muscle, I just had an annual physical. I'm a whopping 7 pounds lighter than my prior physical. :hot:   I know I have more muscle, but it's such a huge disappointment.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody in here give up dairy completely?  Watched a doc with my vegan wife two weeks ago and since then, have been off the cheese and all dairy, which isn't that hard.  I don't drink milk or creamer or ice cream and I prefer olive oil to butter.   But cheese was always my big weakness.  Give me a block of cheese, some Saltines and a summer sausage and I'm the happiest guy alive.  

So, I was dubious at first, but have stayed with it.  My digestion has improved, but I'm still not the waif I was in HS.  Hoping this has a longer term health benefit, but just curious if anybody here cut it out completely.

Cheers,
GM

I posted once or twice in this thread early on that I was in, but refusing to weigh because it is counterproductive to my motivation. "Trust the process" I said. I began working out 60 straight days without days off, which turned into 5/7 over the summer because we travel each weekend. Typical workouts are 45 min bike, 75 pushups, arm curls, 2-3 sets of 90 second planks. Well, 8 months into what I considered huge progress eliminating belly fat and defining arm/pec muscle, I just had an annual physical. I'm a whopping 7 pounds lighter than my prior physical. I know I have more muscle, but it's such a huge disappointment.  
It's weird.  I always thought workout=weight-loss.  I never lost weight working out or running when I was younger.  I have dropped good weight just by cutting carbs a few times when I tried.  I'm curious if my weight loss will speed up doing both.  Good luck!  At least you have muscles now.

Anybody in here give up dairy completely?  Watched a doc with my vegan wife two weeks ago and since then, have been off the cheese and all dairy, which isn't that hard.  I don't drink milk or creamer or ice cream and I prefer olive oil to butter.   But cheese was always my big weakness.  Give me a block of cheese, some Saltines and a summer sausage and I'm the happiest guy alive.  

So, I was dubious at first, but have stayed with it.  My digestion has improved, but I'm still not the waif I was in HS.  Hoping this has a longer term health benefit, but just curious if anybody here cut it out completely.

Cheers,
GM
I gave up carby ones. Creamer, milk, ice cream, ect.  But I have a lil yogurt and cheese still.  I do feel a lot better, but not sure why.

Users who are viewing this thread