What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (4 Viewers)

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.1                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.2

12/28 221.6

12/29 220.4

12/30 219.8

1/1 218.6

1/4 220.2   - I knew todays weigh in would be high - I "took this weekend off" to finish up all the holiday food and pies and candy we had.   Not an excuse - I knew I was getting in one final holiday glutton.    I'm 100% dedicated.  205 by Valentines day is my mark
Pretty much like my cheat day, I jumped up over 2 pounds as well.  Already took it back off so I'm sure you'll do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there a sign up list or some such?
Nope just post in here if you want to share your goals and your progress with a bunch of iFriends doing the same thing. Otis is trying out myfitnesspal and counting calories, do you think you would like to join him?

I love food, and beer........I excercise so I don't become a fat ###.  That's really what it's about.....physical activity.  I find trying to count calories, steps, measurements, blah, blah, blah.....it's all mind numbing

So started my new goal Jan 1 for my goal by March 1.

My normal weigh ins will be Monday Mornings each week same basic time.  Weight from Friday to today pretty much the same (like .4 up from Friday)  Not a fluctuation I am worried about.  Been eating fine over the weekend...with the exception of my one crutch of a salty snack in Goldfish Crackers.  I have a measured bowl of them when I want a snack...well...3 bowls of them yesterday, few too many carbs really.  Got to cut that way back and limit to one bowl as a snack.

Also finding a new afternoon "snack".  I try to eat something healthy-ish for that snack.  For a little while that was some fresh raspberries in yogurt.  And liked that a lot...but had noticed for a bit that I was having some stomach cramping and digestive issues in the late afternoons/early evenings.  The only thing I could think of that I had changed was adding in that raspberry snack.  Been a week since I cut that out and stomach back to normal.  So not sure what reaction I had to raspberries.  I know its not the yogurt as lunch 2-3 days a week is smoothie I make with that yogurt and I have had it standalone for some time now.

So going back to what I did in the past...carrots and cucumbers will be kept around to quick peel up and eat.  I really wish I liked apples or grapes.  Something I could quickly wash and eat.  Just never developed a taste for them or liked the texture.  Ive tried many times.  Just not my thing.

But got out for a nice run today...even hopped on the treadmill for an unplanned walk yesterday as I did not get to do much Saturday.

Nov 30: 234.4

------

Jan 1: 224.0

Jan 4: 221.6

I just passed my boomerang weight of 223. Over the past 6-7 years I have been able to get my weight down to 223 and then I have always bounced back up. My goal was 220 by New Years, so very close. I would like to get to 200 by March 13, which will be a one year journey from the start of quarantine when I weighed in at 252.

A little late to the party but am hoping some measure of accountability may help. I dropped 50 pounds a few years back (265 down to 215) through a combination of weights, yoga, and walking and have mostly kept it off. Ultimate goal was in the 190ish range but have plateaued and mostly hung around the 215-220 range since then. I have an 8 year old son who has put on a substantial amount of weight since COVID and home schooling began so we made a New Years pact to help each other eat less, move more, and get healthier. I am trying very hard to eliminate weight as a focus for him so I don't create some kind of unhealthy obsessive relationship with food and the scale while at the same time tracking calories and weighing myself every day 🙄 Anyhow, I have started doing some bodyweight exercises and walking with him along with additional kettlebell work for me (which I recently discovered and absolutely love) as well as making better food choices together. He turns 9 on July 11th so we are using that as our target date to see how much we can improve - I'm hoping to see a number that starts with 1 for the first time in a long time by then as well as some better habits and healthier bodies for both of us. Good luck everyone, hope we can all make a positive change in 2021.

1/4 - 219

Also finding a new afternoon "snack".  I try to eat something healthy-ish for that snack.  For a little while that was some fresh raspberries in yogurt.  And liked that a lot...but had noticed for a bit that I was having some stomach cramping and digestive issues in the late afternoons/early evenings.  The only thing I could think of that I had changed was adding in that raspberry snack.  Been a week since I cut that out and stomach back to normal.  So not sure what reaction I had to raspberries.  I know its not the yogurt as lunch 2-3 days a week is smoothie I make with that yogurt and I have had it standalone for some time now.
Do you usually eat a lot of fiber?  If not that might be all it was.  Raspberries have a ton of fiber 10 berries is like 45 calories and 10g fiber which is amazing. But if you don't get a lot of fiber normally then you will get tumy aches and fart your brains out when you suddenly have a bunch. It stops once your body gets used to it consistently. 

1/3/21:  195 pounds (goal is 165, which I haven't sniffed in probably 20 years)
Awesome, welcome to the fun!  BF posted an article in here with some ideas that might be beneficial, including the idea of setting an attainable intermediate goal.   Your ultimate goal could take awhile, so it might be worthwhile to set a goal of say, 180 lbs by March 15th.  (I’m making up these #’s)

It’s something that worked for me and it is consistent with what others appear to have tried as well.

Glad you are here.

Awesome, welcome to the fun!  BF posted an article in here with some ideas that might be beneficial, including the idea of setting an attainable intermediate goal.   Your ultimate goal could take awhile, so it might be worthwhile to set a goal of say, 180 lbs by March 15th.  (I’m making up these #’s)

It’s something that worked for me and it is consistent with what others appear to have tried as well.

Glad you are here.
Yeah, the Noom app claimed I could hit that weight by mid-May. That would be pretty shocking to me for it to be that fast.(I know that would only be if I do everything they say, which I won't.)  I can't remember the other intermediate goals I put in, but they're loaded in there anyway. Good luck, everyone!

Ok, I'm stealing this format because A) it's clean and easy to read, B) it will hold me accountable, C) it forces me to weigh in every day

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories
  • Nov 29        159.8             START DATE
  • Dec 31        152.9                -6.9                     1635
           RESET TO NEW BASE WEIGHT FOR 2021

• Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820
  • Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350  (note:  huge day of exercise;  6 mile run;   8 miles walking;   yoga;   pushups)
  • Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                    1950
  • Jan 4           152.8                -0.1
I have work to do.   Need to get back to where I was pre-holidays where I consistently ate 1500-1800 calories per day AND exercised a ton.  Target weight is 148, which contemplates adding meaningful muscle / tone via yoga, pushups, and a few other strength building workouts.   Target date is Jan. 31st before we head off to Florida for two weeks.

Still perfect for the year. 

30 minute walk, 30 minutes of exercise in hotel room. 

Ended up skipping lunch which resulted in eating under 1000 calories. Chicken, salad and veggies for dinner (plus 2 Mich Ultras - they didn’t sell Bud Select 55).

I considered 2020 a mixed bag for me until December - I had no real complaints outside of my son’s Senior year getting ruined and some trips getting cancelled.  I was fortunate nobody in my family had Covid and WFH turned in to a nice perk.  However, all year I was depressed and put on weight.  Then in mid December I got laid off.  Turned a crummy year in to the worst year ever.  The job thing will work itself out - I may even get to stick around through this re-org.  But I have to get back to what I was doing health-wise (or some of it).

I drank way too much and just cut off almost all physical activity as I stayed at home/indoors so much.  Nobody to blame for that but myself.  Now the good news is that I didn’t come close to putting on as much weight as I lost overall but it was still a lot.  I had gotten down to an anorexic 158 (although that may be close to my ideal weight).  Put on almost 50 pounds.  I’ve been as high as almost 250 in the past.  When BnB and I battled it out in the fatballguys weight loss I did full on Keto for 3 months - virtually zero cheats for 3 months.  I’m still a “believer” but I have my wife onboard to make some changes and she’s not as much.  Which is both smart and practical.  Anyway, I’ll outline what I do plan to in my next post.  Things I’ve done off and on but hoping to make them a more permanent daily thing.

So, here’s some habits I started previously, have been doing and plan to continue:

- no regular soda, no sweet tea

- drinking water (I’ve been pretty good with it so just need to focus a little here)

Habits I was doing but stopped - plan to start back:

- limit processed carbs (shooting for almost none)

- running/hiking/walking

- getting 8+ hours sleep 

- core exercises 

Habits I want to start this time around 

- stretching (I always say this and never do it)

- try to get close to the daily recommendation for fruit and veggie (read: not Keto)

- jump rope - this is a great exercise but I haven’t done it regularly in 15 years.  I broke it out this weekend and did a set of 100 - I looked ridiculous but managed to get it done.

Nothing too sexy but I don’t want sexy - need better consistency.

ETA - sorry the formatting sucks on this - mobile website isn’t easy to use 

I considered 2020 a mixed bag for me until December - I had no real complaints outside of my son’s Senior year getting ruined and some trips getting cancelled.  I was fortunate nobody in my family had Covid and WFH turned in to a nice perk.  However, all year I was depressed and put on weight.  Then in mid December I got laid off.  Turned a crummy year in to the worst year ever.  The job thing will work itself out - I may even get to stick around through this re-org.  But I have to get back to what I was doing health-wise (or some of it).

I drank way too much and just cut off almost all physical activity as I stayed at home/indoors so much.  Nobody to blame for that but myself.  Now the good news is that I didn’t come close to putting on as much weight as I lost overall but it was still a lot.  I had gotten down to an anorexic 158 (although that may be close to my ideal weight).  Put on almost 50 pounds.  I’ve been as high as almost 250 in the past.  When BnB and I battled it out in the fatballguys weight loss I did full on Keto for 3 months - virtually zero cheats for 3 months.  I’m still a “believer” but I have my wife onboard to make some changes and she’s not as much.  Which is both smart and practical.  Anyway, I’ll outline what I do plan to in my next post.  Things I’ve done off and on but hoping to make them a more permanent daily thing.
Wow, I hope things turn around for you soon.  Depression via the lack of social interaction can happen to anyone. I've had it relatively easy compared to what you've gone through (same situation with my son's graduation getting messed up and a really lonely first semester of college for him though) and yet I felt "down" as well.  Then I would feel guilty because I know how fortunate we've been through this and thought I had no right to feel down. This led to a lot of comfort eating.  I think this thread is a great place where you can share your successes and obstacles and get a lot of support.  We're here for you.

Do you usually eat a lot of fiber?  If not that might be all it was.  Raspberries have a ton of fiber 10 berries is like 45 calories and 10g fiber which is amazing. But if you don't get a lot of fiber normally then you will get tumy aches and fart your brains out when you suddenly have a bunch. It stops once your body gets used to it consistently. 
A decent amount yes.

@Otis@Zow how did it go with myfitnesspal today? 

One week down, 89 days to go. Under calories, no alcohol. 93g protein, 32g fiber 
Steady as she goes. I should link up my MFP account to you so you can witness. I think I’m friends on there or shared with Keerock and a few others here. 

Anyway, I’m pretty hungry much of the one but I’ve had like 400-500 calories below my allotment each day.  Haven’t been rowing but have been doing walks with the dog and kid which has been nice. Ill start working back into rowing but frankly my problem hasn’t been exercise, it’s a thousanty percent diet, and packing on a monster appetite after intense workouts won’t make this any easier. But I plan to row, maybe tomorrow I get another in. 

Staying the course. 

One question: I got a Wyze scale. They’re awesome and measure so much stuff. One of the things it gave me was my BMR, which it says was 1979. But MFP is allotting me 1600 calories per day at a 2 pound per week loss rate. That can’t be right, because that should be a 7000 calorie deficit per week to get me 2lbs, or like 1000 calories per day. Either MFP or the scale seems to be way off on my baseline (~600 calories per day). Maybe the scale just isn’t all that scientific in the way it determines BMR?

Anyway, onward we march. 

oh and p and s I have considered each night spending some of those extra calories on an adult beverage but I’ve resisted the urge. It hasn’t been easy. But I’ve done it. 

Steady as she goes. I should link up my MFP account to you so you can witness. I think I’m friends on there or shared with Keerock and a few others here. 

Anyway, I’m pretty hungry much of the one but I’ve had like 400-500 calories below my allotment each day.  Haven’t been rowing but have been doing walks with the dog and kid which has been nice. Ill start working back into rowing but frankly my problem hasn’t been exercise, it’s a thousanty percent diet, and packing on a monster appetite after intense workouts won’t make this any easier. But I plan to row, maybe tomorrow I get another in. 

Staying the course. 

One question: I got a Wyze scale. They’re awesome and measure so much stuff. One of the things it gave me was my BMR, which it says was 1979. But MFP is allotting me 1600 calories per day at a 2 pound per week loss rate. That can’t be right, because that should be a 7000 calorie deficit per week to get me 2lbs, or like 1000 calories per day. Either MFP or the scale seems to be way off on my baseline (~600 calories per day). Maybe the scale just isn’t all that scientific in the way it determines BMR?

Anyway, onward we march. 

oh and p and s I have considered each night spending some of those extra calories on an adult beverage but I’ve resisted the urge. It hasn’t been easy. But I’ve done it. 
Rowing makes you hungry. Lots of guys gain weight from exercising and then eating way too much afterwards. We track calories so we can make educated decisions. 

Good that you're taking time off of alcohol. This isnt judgement from some teatotaling nerd. I drank gallons of wine since my birthday and put on weight. We both know that you make good decisions sober and bad decisions after a drink. I think you will eventually be able to find a way to work wine back in if you really want to, but it's so important to develop the healthy habits first. Love that you are giving this a real chance.  I really want to see you succeed here.

I can add you on mfp if you want. Shoot me a pm. 

Bmr is your basal metabolic rate. It's what you'd burn if you were in a coma.  Every time you type on your keyboard or reach for a snack you're burning a little. 

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. That's how many calories you burn in a regular day. Myfitnesspal tries to estimate this by asking if you're active, moderately active or sedentary. I choose sedentary and then add exercise as I do it. If you walk the dog maybe that's like 40 calories. If I were a UPS driver carrying packages and walking to people's homes all day, I'd say I was active and just not log the miles of on again off again walking.

Your calorie goal in myfitnesspal is set as your TDEE (which is your bmr plus "regular" movement) minus the calorie deficit you need to meet your goal.  A pound of fat is about 3500 calories, so losing 2lbs per week means cutting 7000 calories, or a deficit of1000 calories a day for 7 days. 

Entered through dinner. Breakfast and lunch were perfect bars.  About to eat some steak and broccoli shortly. 

Challenge for me is the post-dinner snacking. 
Nice. I'm a big fan of eating ####ty foods on my diet. Instead of thinking "I need to avoid snacking", I think "i know I only get 1500 calories today and I will probably want some snacks after dinner, so how can I cut down on my early day calories and/or exercise enough to earn those snacks".  

I dont like treating snacking as a separate thing that I sometimes do but will try not to. It's a built in excuse. You are planning for failure when you say that your challenge is post dinner snacking. Plan to snack. Build your day around it and satisfy that urge. Make sure you are completely aware that you can do the same thing tomorrow or Friday or any day you want, but it involves sacrifices earlier in the day that you don't always want to make. Then when you eat a big breakfast on Thursday, you just say, ok, no snacks tonight, and it's not a challenge, it's just you choosing when to spend your calories each day and today you chose breakfast. 

Some days I eat like 5 or 6 mini meals. Some days I eat a 1000 calorie dinner.  Sometimes I'll buy a sack of hundred calorie packs of doritos and cheetos and have one when I'm itching for it. I don't feel the need to cheat because I am in control of what I eat and even if I don't have enough calories for that thing I'm craving tonight I know I can have it tomorrow if I really want to. Using myfitnesspal helps me stop looking at this as a long term goal thats totslly daunting, and instead see each day as a simple, achievable goal, where every day I can choose how to meet it. 

If I can make one suggestion- try something instead of those bars once in a while. I'm a big fan of Icelandic skyr yogurt, 130 calories with 15g protein, plus 2 servings of fresh raspberries, about 90 calories and 20g fiber. Compare that with your perfect bar at about 300 calories, 19g protein and 4g fiber and you're saving 80 calories for better macro nutrients and at least to me it tastes good. If you can cut those 80 calories from breakfast, maybe 120 from dinner, you can have that 200 calorie cookie later. 

Just some thoughts, feel free to disregard. I'm legit excited to have you and otis in here giving this a real shot again. But reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

Nice. I'm a big fan of eating ####ty foods on my diet. Instead of thinking "I need to avoid snacking", I think "i know I only get 1500 calories today and I will probably want some snacks after dinner, so how can I cut down on my early day calories and/or exercise enough to earn those snacks".  

I dont like treating snacking as a separate thing that I sometimes do but will try not to. It's a built in excuse. You are planning for failure when you say that your challenge is post dinner snacking. Plan to snack. Build your day around it and satisfy that urge. Make sure you are completely aware that you can do the same thing tomorrow or Friday or any day you want, but it involves sacrifices earlier in the day that you don't always want to make. Then when you eat a big breakfast on Thursday, you just say, ok, no snacks tonight, and it's not a challenge, it's just you choosing when to spend your calories each day and today you chose breakfast. 

Some days I eat like 5 or 6 mini meals. Some days I eat a 1000 calorie dinner.  Sometimes I'll buy a sack of hundred calorie packs of doritos and cheetos and have one when I'm itching for it. I don't feel the need to cheat because I am in control of what I eat and even if I don't have enough calories for that thing I'm craving tonight I know I can have it tomorrow if I really want to. Using myfitnesspal helps me stop looking at this as a long term goal thats totslly daunting, and instead see each day as a simple, achievable goal, where every day I can choose how to meet it. 

If I can make one suggestion- try something instead of those bars once in a while. I'm a big fan of Icelandic skyr yogurt, 130 calories with 15g protein, plus 2 servings of fresh raspberries, about 90 calories and 20g fiber. Compare that with your perfect bar at about 300 calories, 19g protein and 4g fiber and you're saving 80 calories for better macro nutrients and at least to me it tastes good. If you can cut those 80 calories from breakfast, maybe 120 from dinner, you can have that 200 calorie cookie later. 

Just some thoughts, feel free to disregard. I'm legit excited to have you and otis in here giving this a real shot again. But reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 
Thanks for sharing this again BF.   I've incorporated much of this thinking into my daily plan (at least on weekdays).   Very focused on keeping my caloric intake lower at breakfast and lunch, fully knowing that my desire to snack will be a part of my evening.   I love being able to have a small scoop of ice cream at around 9pm.   For me, that makes the whole day of sacrifice, discipline and healthier eating worthwhile.   (Until I hit my target weight, at which point I'm going to recalibrate a tad....but no more than that, just a tad)

Your suggestion about trying something instead of bars is a really good suggestion.  Yogurt + raspberries is a great snack.   Interested in any other snacks that others have incorporated, as my body is re-learning what healthier eating tastes like.   My brain/experience tells me that 400-500 calories of Cheetos is a snack.   But I know better, and the MyFitnessPal app reinforces how completely wrong my learned instincts are.   (like Costanza, I need to do the opposite.....)

Continued best wishes to everyone in here.   I've learned so much already just in this thread, in 5 short weeks.   Can't imagine how much weight I would have gained over that timeframe without this group.

It matters some the solubility of said fiber whether  it irritates some. 

I have no problem posting my weight but I also know how difficult from personal experience it can be to read someone kvetch about being 10-15 lbs overweight when you want to lose say 50+ lbs so I won't go on endlessly about it but...I am up from where I bottomed out, the holidays from Christmas until right now really got me and i would weigh a lot more if Fred hadn't got me back on the cycle a few times on top of tennis in the last few weeks. I am barely under 190(6-3) right now

I will post a couple things that I think will help many of you, not easy but you don't have to cut as much from your routine. 

-Sugar is Cocaine and you need to understand that you have no control over it. When you eat it, you need more of it and the brain is tricked into thinking you need more food and you really don't. Sugar makes you crave more sugar and sugar makes you hungry in general not long after you eat it. In the last week I have had more sugar than I likely had the previous month or two, I capped it with something I never have any more...Coca-Cola, 16 of the most wonderful ounces of sugar I have had in a long time, man when you have not had one in a long time, by gawd they are unreal how they explode in your mouth. Now if I had another right this second it would not taste as good or the same...ok maybe it would taste pretty good but soon like previous stints in my life, I wouldn't taste it on any level even close to the one I had yesterday to pick me up out my Miami Dolphins blues. 

-Drink water like it's going out of style. It breaks down fat and so it will make you thinner quicker by breaking you down ounce by ounce, it also will naturally fill you up so you eat less, there's no calories in water I've heard and so that's almost like a free drink. Hunger is something that is felt in your throat not your stomach so if you feel pain down there you need to start looking elsewhere for answers. Many folks mistake hunger for thirst as strange as that sounds.   If you weigh 250, drink 100 ounces of water for a few days in a row, just hydrate and watch what comes out the other end, some of you all got impacted bowels that are holding 20+ lbs I #### you not. We have the Mountain Valley Water delivered in 5 gallon GLASS drums, they weigh something like 40-45 lbs a piece, best tasting water, whatever we spend its worth every penny.  

-Stay away from negativity. Try to get around positive people who want or desire some of the things you want like here. 

Cheers!

Bmr is your basal metabolic rate. It's what you'd burn if you were in a coma.  Every time you type on your keyboard or reach for a snack you're burning a little. 
Ah, that makes more sense. And yes, I likewise selected the most sedentary activity on MFP. I’ve been pleased to learn that even walking the dog for 30mins can be get me back over 100 calories. A regular row is like 400 calories. A 10k or hour long row can get me 800-1000 calories.  Even the hundreds and two hundreds in walks add up though. 

I forgot a couple more tools I’m planning to use:

- No alcohol Sunday afternoon - Friday afternoon

- IF and a few day+ fasts

- one good habit I’ve kept for a while now - I don’t snack.  I deviated a little on this but for the most part I still don’t snack 

Ah, that makes more sense. And yes, I likewise selected the most sedentary activity on MFP. I’ve been pleased to learn that even walking the dog for 30mins can be get me back over 100 calories. A regular row is like 400 calories. A 10k or hour long row can get me 800-1000 calories.  Even the hundreds and two hundreds in walks add up though. 
Absolutely. 

And this is why I've been evangelizing myfitnesspal so much. Look at how you're talking. I'm pleased to get back 100 calories. A 10k can get me 1000 calories. 

Compare that with the negative way of thinking of other diets. I'm going to try not to snack. I just need to stay away from alcohol. I won't eat any carbs.  I won't eat anything but potatoes. 

You have a goal today. It's totally achievable. Just fill in your calories and stay under your goal. Want more calories?  Exercise more.  Don't want to exercise?  Take a rest day and just cut back a little.  You can do this for one day, because there is constant positive feedback. I earned 100 calories! I'm going to earn some more on the rower! I saved 50 calories at breakfast! I've saved up enough calories for dinner that I can have something I really enjoy!  And at the end of the day you click complete diary and it says good job if you did this every day for 5 weeks look where you'd be. 

Positive reinforcement works so much better than negative. Earning things is much more motivating than having to avoid things. 

And if you want to get on your concept2 and bust your ### for an hour-plus so you can have 20 mcnuggets and a two cheeseburger meal then guess what  - all that food is only 1920 calories. Minus 1000 for your rowing, that's 920. You can have a little breakfast and lunch even. 

Is that healthy? #### no. You'll #### your brains out, you'll feel like crap on the rower tomorrow, all the fat and sodium will wreak havoc on your body, and you'll be pissed at yourself for working out so hard just to have ####### McDonald's.  But knowing that you can do it is so empowering because it means you are in charge and if you ####### want to go ham on the dollar menu, you can. 

Yes it would be better to have fruits and vegetables than burgers and fries but learning these skills is really valuable too and it will pay dividends as you make lifetime habits. 

The only thing I'm asking from you right now is that you hit the pause button on alcohol while you learn the good habits. Because it's where you always #### up. It's where I #### up too and most people here would probably say the same. Until this becomes normal for you, and the idea of getting on the concept2 Saturday morning to earn your margaritas and tacos with the family for brunch is something that you can also stick to after that second margarita when you're thinking those chips sure look good, it's best to focus on building the habit. But eventually that stuff will be back on the table too.  

I'm really excited that you're finally giving this a shot.  Not sure if you can tell. 

And is it worth getting the premium version?
I use it now to track my protein and fiber intake and to a lesser extent my sodium, fat, cholesterol, etc. Tracking calories is free as are most of the bells and whistles. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
-Sugar is Cocaine and you need to understand that you have no control over it. When you eat it, you need more of it and the brain is tricked into thinking you need more food and you really don't. Sugar makes you crave more sugar and sugar makes you hungry in general not long after you eat it. In the last week I have had more sugar than I likely had the previous month or two, I capped it with something I never have any more...Coca-Cola, 16 of the most wonderful ounces of sugar I have had in a long time, man when you have not had one in a long time, by gawd they are unreal how they explode in your mouth. Now if I had another right this second it would not taste as good or the same...ok maybe it would taste pretty good but soon like previous stints in my life, I wouldn't taste it on any level even close to the one I had yesterday to pick me up out my Miami Dolphins blues. 
Truth. Sugar, especially Mt Dew, is my devil. I don't know how or why I started drinking it, but damn it is good. If I can stay away from it I am golden. Constant battle in my head.

I am the heaviest I have ever been. I wont post the # because its embarrassing. I started back with myfitnesspal and am confident I am going to lose what I want to (which is about 45 lbs). My biggest problem was weed. I would smoke it almost every night as it helped me sleep like a baby however it gave me such incredible munchies. Some nights I would eat so much I would wake up in the middle of the night with horrible acid reflux. So I finished what I had left on Sunday.

It all came to a head this past year. With WFH I was snacking all the time. I stopped going to the gym (although i did buy a bike and use the Peloton app regularly). My fat clothes barely fit anymore. I was getting heartburn A LOT (which I have never gotten before). The acid reflux thing mentioned above. I was shoveling snow the other day and felt so winded. Im a tall guy so carry the weight well but just not happy with my health. At 43, I have to start now otherwise high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes will be on the horizon.

I dont really drink so thats not a concern. I will be regimented about my meals. Egg whites and toast in morning with black coffee. Grilled chicken, tuna, or small salad for lunch. Dinner will be one portion regardless of what it is. Try not to snack. Obviously thats not a lot of calories. I just want to get through the first two weeks before I think about adding a few more.

So started my new goal Jan 1 for my goal by March 1.

My normal weigh ins will be Monday Mornings each week same basic time.  Weight from Friday to today pretty much the same (like .4 up from Friday)  Not a fluctuation I am worried about.  Been eating fine over the weekend...with the exception of my one crutch of a salty snack in Goldfish Crackers.  I have a measured bowl of them when I want a snack...well...3 bowls of them yesterday, few too many carbs really.  Got to cut that way back and limit to one bowl as a snack.

So going back to what I did in the past...carrots and cucumbers will be kept around to quick peel up and eat.  I really wish I liked apples or grapes.  Something I could quickly wash and eat.  Just never developed a taste for them or liked the texture.  Ive tried many times.  Just not my thing.

But got out for a nice run today...even hopped on the treadmill for an unplanned walk yesterday as I did not get to do much Saturday.
what type of yogurt?  it's not all created equal - most sugar laden or full of sweeteners.  Go for plain greek (FAGE being my favorite - best tasting greek yogurt with no filler, packed with protein and low carb).  I often add a mix of strawberries and blueberries to it if I need carbs.  

• 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
HOW DO YOU SINGLE SPACE?  I've been right around 1500 everyday minus this weekend

ETA: Started Day 1 of T25 again.  I doubt i do the program every day (too out of shape) but I like it and will do as much as I feel up to to start

I filled out all the Noom info, and then it gave me this plan. I didn't put any time frame on it. They did, apparently on their own. So I think the ultimate goal of mine was to drop from 195 to 165. But now this plan apparently has me limited to 1400 calories a day to achieve that goal by mid May. Isn't 1400 very low for a guy? I thought it was supposed to be like 2,000 to 2,100 a day? And I never put in any time frame saying I needed to lose it by mid May. So where did Noom come up with this plan??? (FWIW, I held myself under 1500 calories yesterday - Day 1.)

I filled out all the Noom info, and then it gave me this plan. I didn't put any time frame on it. They did, apparently on their own. So I think the ultimate goal of mine was to drop from 195 to 165. But now this plan apparently has me limited to 1400 calories a day to achieve that goal by mid May. Isn't 1400 very low for a guy? I thought it was supposed to be like 2,000 to 2,100 a day? And I never put in any time frame saying I needed to lose it by mid May. So where did Noom come up with this plan??? (FWIW, I held myself under 1500 calories yesterday - Day 1.)
So you entered you height and weight - so to maintain your current weight you would need 2000 (+) calories.    Noom is putting you on a 1-2 pound loss a week. Therefore - you need ~500 calorie deificit a day to equal ~3500 calories which equals 1 pound

At 195 your TDEE is probably around 2400 so 1400 would be on pace for losing 2lb per week (1000 calories per day, 3500 calories in a pound)

I am the heaviest I have ever been. I wont post the # because its embarrassing. I started back with myfitnesspal and am confident I am going to lose what I want to (which is about 45 lbs). My biggest problem was weed. I would smoke it almost every night as it helped me sleep like a baby however it gave me such incredible munchies. Some nights I would eat so much I would wake up in the middle of the night with horrible acid reflux. So I finished what I had left on Sunday.

It all came to a head this past year. With WFH I was snacking all the time. I stopped going to the gym (although i did buy a bike and use the Peloton app regularly). My fat clothes barely fit anymore. I was getting heartburn A LOT (which I have never gotten before). The acid reflux thing mentioned above. I was shoveling snow the other day and felt so winded. Im a tall guy so carry the weight well but just not happy with my health. At 43, I have to start now otherwise high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes will be on the horizon.

I dont really drink so thats not a concern. I will be regimented about my meals. Egg whites and toast in morning with black coffee. Grilled chicken, tuna, or small salad for lunch. Dinner will be one portion regardless of what it is. Try not to snack. Obviously thats not a lot of calories. I just want to get through the first two weeks before I think about adding a few more.
Hey Joba, I remember you.

-It's OK, I smoke thru about a Half Ounce per week, sometimes more when my stress level soars...it's either weed or hard liquor and my beautiful wife prefers me a little more docile at night and sometimes I have too much energy first thing in the morning...I only can sleep for maybe 4-5 hours and then I just pop up at like 3-4-5 in the morning. 

-Don't buy the snacks...you will get over it and won't crave as often, remember what sugar does to you, weed or no weed it makes you crave more of it. 

-I find a can of light beer can curb my munchies, glass of red wine with a smidge of hard cheese, anything to get thru those evening hours. 

-I do a lot of intermittent fasting but for now I want to encourage folks to try and eat healthier and get a little movement going(walk/bike). 

Breakfast: I tend to skip it but like Oatmeal with real maple syrup in it, my sugar is maple syrup and I find it digests easier and doesn't pack on weight as easily...but I don't gulp it down I use it sparingly. I can eat this meal any time fo the day so what you call breakfast might be my 4:30 meal before I go play tennis or ride my bike, etc...

Lunch/Dinner: I don't typically eat both...I eat a bigger lunch and then mostly snacks for dinner(Dr Rick commercials)

If you don't drink alcohol, that's good because a lot of us burn our calories on at least a little of it. 

-What works for one person might not be the solution for others. You gotta find the right balance in your life. 

what type of yogurt?  it's not all created equal - most sugar laden or full of sweeteners.  Go for plain greek (FAGE being my favorite - best tasting greek yogurt with no filler, packed with protein and low carb).  I often add a mix of strawberries and blueberries to it if I need carbs.  
Kroger Carbmaster...definitely not full of sugar.  9 grams of protein, 5 carbs.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.1                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.2                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.4
Another good day eating wise.  After cutting your calories, the hunger goes away for me on the third day.  I can then eat pretty sensibly, but after awhile the body goes in starvation mode so I need a cheat day to jolt it out.  I would love to be at 200 by Valentine's Day but I think I'll be shy of it.  I will need to increase my activity level (and calories) soon.

I am only doing this to show you how much in dead waste you are likely carrying around...

Yesterday-189.5 

This morning-184.6

Almost 5 full pounds and I did play a Doubles Strategy session with a coach last night for 90 Minutes but I emphasize strategy over a cardio clinic, etc...

Did I really burn off 5 lbs or did I overeat thru the holidays and start detoxing myself yesterday with lots of water and...do french fries count as a vegetable? 

I do participate in a lot of physical activity, tennis as I said but also walk/bike especially in the Florida Winter, it's borderline criminal to not be outside right now.

I posted this earlier but we bought one of these trampolines and have it set up in our home. It doesn't take up as much space as you would think. @Otis likes to row and MoP likes to bounce. I get on this now first thing in the morning for a couple minutes just to get blood flow going. I know many of you cannot exercise outside but the trampoline is perfect for indoors and you will feel it more than you imagine in your muscles. Low impact to boot.  

Users who are viewing this thread