What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (2 Viewers)

Try brushing your teeth or using mouthwash. 

Also if you're thinking about a specific food, look up the calories and plan out your remaining meals/exercise for the day. Sometimes knowing that you will get to have it satisfies the craving almost as much as actually having it. 
Both of these really do work.  I’ve done both.  It’s brain psychology.  Each approach nudges me to make a better decision.

I filled out all the Noom info, and then it gave me this plan. I didn't put any time frame on it. They did, apparently on their own. So I think the ultimate goal of mine was to drop from 195 to 165. But now this plan apparently has me limited to 1400 calories a day to achieve that goal by mid May. Isn't 1400 very low for a guy? I thought it was supposed to be like 2,000 to 2,100 a day? And I never put in any time frame saying I needed to lose it by mid May. So where did Noom come up with this plan??? (FWIW, I held myself under 1500 calories yesterday - Day 1.)
When you set it up, there's an area that asks how quickly you want to meet your goal with a turtle, rabbit and cheetah icon.  Your calories will be adjusted based off what you have chosen.

I haven't had more than 1,500 calories most days since July (save for holidays and an occasional pizza night).  The keys are: 

a) Very few carbs.
b) Limit your portions on protein.  A 4 ounce piece of chicken is, say, 375 calories.  An 8 ounce piece is 750.  You will find you are fine with the 4 ounce and other sides or side salad.
c) Put less on your plate then you think you want, you'll find that often times it's fine.  And listen to your body.  When you're full, stop eating.

Definitely fighting the cravings today.  I did grab a diet soda to fight the urge. But that would be 1 in 2 days instead of 1 every day.

Small steps
1) Ask yourself why you have cravings?  Are you hungry?  If so, eat something.  Just make it something good and not a bag of Doritos.  If you're bored, go take a walk or do a chore.  A few minutes later the craving will pass.

2) Diet soda actually makes you hungrier.  It tricks your body into thinking it's getting sweets.....then when your body realizes it didn't get anything sweet to eat, you get more hungry.

b) Limit your portions on protein.  A 4 ounce piece of chicken is, say, 375 calories.  An 8 ounce piece is 750.  You will find you are fine with the 4 ounce and other sides or side salad.
That seems like a strange rule. 4 oz chicken breast is 110 calories. Protein is filling and may help reduce muscle loss while you're trying to lose fat.  The rest sounds reasonable. 

When you set it up, there's an area that asks how quickly you want to meet your goal with a turtle, rabbit and cheetah icon.  Your calories will be adjusted based off what you have chosen.

I haven't had more than 1,500 calories most days since July (save for holidays and an occasional pizza night).  The keys are: 

a) Very few carbs.
c) Put less on your plate then you think you want, you'll find that often times it's fine.  And listen to your body.  When you're full, stop eating.
wat

That seems like a strange rule. 4 oz chicken breast is 110 calories. Protein is filling and may help reduce muscle loss while you're trying to lose fat.  The rest sounds reasonable. 
Sorry on the calorie totals, I was just trying to illustrate the point.  

If take a plate, cut your chicken from 8 oz to 4 oz, you save 110 calories.  You replace it with 4 ounces of broccoli, you save 80 calories.  If it's not chicken and it's steak or ground turkey or ground beef, the calories obviously increase.  The poster asked how to manage 1,500 calories a day.  You have to cut somewhere in a way you're not always hungry.

Sorry on the calorie totals, I was just trying to illustrate the point.  

If take a plate, cut your chicken from 8 oz to 4 oz, you save 110 calories.  You replace it with 4 ounces of broccoli, you save 80 calories.  If it's not chicken and it's steak or ground turkey or ground beef, the calories obviously increase.  The poster asked how to manage 1,500 calories a day.  You have to cut somewhere in a way you're not always hungry.
Right I'm just saying lean protein is probably not the thing that needs to be cut

A cup of Greek yogurt and a double handful of raspberries for breakfast followed by a grilled 8 oz chicken breast with a big bowl (4 cups before cooking) of steamed broccoli will get you about 80g protein, 28g fiber, and all of your vitamin C, and only cost you about 600 calories.

You can literally finish the day with a quarter pounder and large fries value meal and stay under calories with solid macros. You shouldn't, but you can. 

Seems like something having a "great power or influence" would have an inherant level of immediacy to it. 

Regardless of the above definitional dispute, I agree completely that weight loss requires a change in mindset and a fundamental understanding that bad food truly is bad for you (even if bad food tastes so good). This is further complicated by the fact that bad food isn't all that potent because the harm is merely gradual. I can attest to this personally because the first time I had a sizable weight gain - the first year or two into my marriage and after a knee injury caused me to workout way less - it genuinely came as a complete shock to me when I stepped on the scale and it said 242. Honestly when I looked in the mirror I still saw the same 185 lbs guy plus maybe a few pounds of marriage weight. It wasn't until I saw a picture of me playing football a couple years prior that I realized the stark difference. I further realized the difference when I had a random physical a few months later and the numbers were not nearly as good as my previous physical in terms of heartbeats per minute, cholesterol, etc. 

The above, though, provides a nice segway into a confession I need to make. When I started this a couple of days ago I didn't weigh myself because I was afraid to. The last few months I have worked unsustainable hours (billed 275+ hours in December), barely made it to the gym, and did not watch my diet much. I was seriously afraid I'd be over 250 lbs. Nonetheless, I weighed myself yesterday (after one day of a healthy/low-calorie and carb diet) and I was 246.7 This morning I had dropped a pound. So, with a sigh of relief that I am only a few pounds over my prior high, and with the assurance that my currently raging headache means my body is going through a minor withdrawal from sugar, here we go...
I guess my main point is that most people don't take the time to eat quality food in our go, go, go society of instant gratification.....never mind details of why it's not a priority, the reality is, it's just not.......and so obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are rampant......it starts with our daily food choices.

Yeah, I've dealt with this but found the carbonation is also something I crave.  Instead of buying soda, I have Topo Chico on hand and some flavored La Croix.  I normally squeeze a lime in them for flavor.  If I'm really craving soda, will add those flavored beverage enhancers like Mio or Crystal Light to the mix.  
Yep - I do the exact same. Have done so for years. It's gotten to the point where I crave the sparkling water + crystal light instead of actual soda.
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/aarke-stainless-steel-sparkling-water-carbonator-ii/s462556?localedetail=US

Christmas gift.  Went from 3-6 diet sodas a day to zero.

I guess my main point is that most people don't take the time to eat quality food in our go, go, go society of instant gratification.....never mind details of why it's not a priority, the reality is, it's just not.......and so obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are rampant......it starts with our daily food choices.
I understand. I probably shouldn't have been so harsh about the adjective you decided to use - but being hangry and going through carb withdrawal is a real thing haha. 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9

Zow said:
I understand. I probably shouldn't have been so harsh about the adjective you decided to use - but being hangry and going through carb withdrawal is a real thing haha. 
All good amigo, and good luck!  I hope you succeed with whatever goal you set for yourself.

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Glad to see things trending downward after a lazy, undisciplined couple of days.   I'm realizing more and more that "Net" calories for me just appear to be BS.  I need to keep my caloric intake in the 1500-1800 range even when I'm super active (which for me means averaging 9-10 miles per day of running and/or walking).  If I really go all out with a 10-mile run (which hasn't happened in ages, sadly), I could probably get away with closer to 2,000 calories that day.   It's a reality that I've accepted though.

Need to average 1 lb/week to hit my goal by 2/14.   But my stretch goal is to hit it by 1/31.    Keep up the good work in here everyone.   Thanks for helping keep me accountable.

Jan 1           274.4                  0                       Too many

Jan 2           xxx.x                    0                      Jog/walk 30 min

Jan 3           xxx.x                    0                      

Jan 4           272.2                -2.2                    1414 cal  Jog/walk 30 min, lift

Jan 5           267.6                -6.8                    922 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 10 min, lift, stretch

Jan 6           267.4                -7.0                    875 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 20 min, stretch

Jan 1           274.4                  0                       Too many

Jan 2           xxx.x                    0                      Jog/walk 30 min

Jan 3           xxx.x                    0                      

Jan 4           272.2                -2.2                    1414 cal  Jog/walk 30 min, lift

Jan 5           267.6                -6.8                    922 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 10 min, lift, stretch

Jan 6           267.4                -7.0                    875 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 20 min, stretch
With all due respect you need to up your calories.... 900 is way too low

I mostly only track protein and fiber but i might be going too low fat. Finished today at 139g protein, 177g carbs (40 fiber), and 36g fat.  Might be why I was hungry earlier. 

Still no alcohol and no days over calories. 88 days to Easter.
I'd up the fat and cut some of the carb consumption.  

Kept it under 1500 calories and minimal carbs yesterday (had some minimal fruit to try to cut the carb cravings. Thanks to the midday distraction was working until late so no gym but 244.4 this morning. Down several pounds already. 

Really, really need to get exercising but I’m trying to take solace in that exercise makes me hungry and maybe this first week is best served by getting my body used to a low carb intake and not putting myself in a position where I’m really hungry after a workout. 

Kept it under 1500 calories and minimal carbs yesterday (had some minimal fruit to try to cut the carb cravings. Thanks to the midday distraction was working until late so no gym but 244.4 this morning. Down several pounds already. 

Really, really need to get exercising but I’m trying to take solace in that exercise makes me hungry and maybe this first week is best served by getting my body used to a low carb intake and not putting myself in a position where I’m really hungry after a workout. 
What's your strategy?  Are you just doing low carb?  Or tracking calories too?  

What's your strategy?  Are you just doing low carb?  Or tracking calories too?  
Both. I’m following the MyFitnessPal caloric recommendations for losing 2 lbs per week snd also trying to keep my carb intake down. 

My body had historically responded well to a low carb diet. I’m hoping by this weekend the headaches will be gone and my energy back up so I can start working out. 

Both. I’m following the MyFitnessPal caloric recommendations for losing 2 lbs per week snd also trying to keep my carb intake down. 

My body had historically responded well to a low carb diet. I’m hoping by this weekend the headaches will be gone and my energy back up so I can start working out. 
Makes sense. Are you using myfitnesspal premium?  It costs money but does a good job tracking nutrients and they do net carbs if that's something you care about. Fiber good sugar bad

With all due respect you need to up your calories.... 900 is way too low
I upped them the last 10 months.  Plenty of reserve to work off of.    

Busy day yesterday so I missed breakfast outside of creamer in two cups of coffee.  Lunch was a 180 cal microwave, a jar of pickles, and a banana.  Pretty filling.  Worked late so I didn't get into the gym right after work.  It was around 11 by the time I got home and showered.  Wasn't hunger but made an omelette and two baked potatoes with gravy.  Around 500 calories but I was stuffed.  Also been pondering the water.  

Just got back from a short lifting session.  Not hungry but will make a protein shake

1/6 - Worked on my feet moving stuff for 10 hours and then had a 4 hour drive home, so no explicit exercise.  However, since I am normally a work at my desk person, the 10 hours was much more activity than I normally get.  My apple watch even says I had 45 minutes of exercise, so that is good.

Still perfect (probably too low) on the calorie intake though - 1200 calories consumed (22 WW points). 

I upped them the last 10 months.  Plenty of reserve to work off of.    

Busy day yesterday so I missed breakfast outside of creamer in two cups of coffee.  Lunch was a 180 cal microwave, a jar of pickles, and a banana.  Pretty filling.  Worked late so I didn't get into the gym right after work.  It was around 11 by the time I got home and showered.  Wasn't hunger but made an omelette and two baked potatoes with gravy.  Around 500 calories but I was stuffed.  Also been pondering the water.  

Just got back from a short lifting session.  Not hungry but will make a protein shake
A jar??? Don't get me wrong, they're a staple for me too once I saw they basically have no calories, but that just made me laugh out loud.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9                    1620
  • Jan 7           210.3                -2.8
Been trying to increase my calories a little as I'm starting to put a little time in on my spin cycle.  Will probably take awhile to find the right balance of more calories and level of effort.

A jar??? Don't get me wrong, they're a staple for me too once I saw they basically have no calories, but that just made me laugh out loud.
Yeah....went the bread and butter variety so I ended up at 80 calories.  I should have read the label closer, they tasted a little off like an artificial sweetener was used.  Best part was my son's girlfriend said $10 if I drank the juice in the jar.  That was a 3-4 second chug and lunch money for the next two days.

Please don’t take this as a knock as this is a me issue but I used MFP in the past and I wasn’t a fan.  I doubt I’ll ever go back to tracking calories or macros.  Even when I was doing Keto I didn’t do it.  It’s an awesome tool and glad it works for most of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @bostonfred can you please shoot me a private message? I had something unrelated to this to ask you but it says you're not able to receive messages. If you can't do the PM feature here, just an email to bryant@footballguys.com? Thanks. It's not a big deal. 

IF is my ticket, I have little self control when it comes to nighttime eating. I have the most success limiting my daytime calories. My IF hours are 4PM to midnight. 4PM is my lunchtime at work, I wait until 8PM to eat a couple days a week. I'm shooting to be under 200, I was 215 Friday morning after Thanksgiving and 211 this morning. My lowest weight so far this year was 205. I was 234 January 1st.
204 this morning, now the challenge to not gain it back before Christmas. I've been staying pretty well with my IF. This week I've really dialed in on my after dinner eating. I might not be posting much in here, but I have been popping in once or twice a week to keep current. Thanks to all you guys for your posts and tips!
201.8, I've lost a touch over 30 lbs in a little under a year.

When covid starting spreading the first comorbidities were male, smoker, overweight and high blood pressure. I'm male, overweight and my blood pressure is usually just above the 120/80 reading that you want to be below. So I started my goal to lose 50 lbs. I honestly thought yeah right 50lbs I'm never going to lose that, but my fear of covid has been an excellent motivator. 30 lbs in 2020 I'm stoked! 20+ lbs in 2021here I come. I haven't been below 200 in probably 15 years I'm hoping to get below that in a few days, can't wait!

Awesome snack I have been making three times a week right now as my wife has found out how delicious and healthy it is. 

Coconut Chia Pudding: 1 Can light coconut milk (try various brands, some are better than others), 1/3 cup + 1 tsp. chia seeds, 1tsp.-1.5 Tbsp. vanilla extract (you can find some cheap Mexican vanillas that put the fake stuff to shame), drizzle of honey. Whisk together thoroughly. Chill in fridge for at least an hour. 

This makes four serving of delicious vanilla coconut pudding that is high fiber and decent protein. My wife loves adding another drizzle of honey on top when she scoops it into a mini bowl for a afternoon snack. It satisfies our sweets need while still helping with our goals. The more vanilla you put in (we use a lot-wife loves) the less coconut comes through. I usually make in a medium tupperware but a glass bowl with saran wrap has worked better the past few times since we are hermits.

No I was considering it though. 

I did friend you. 
I have used MFP in the past and switched over to chronometer a few months back to get more specific nutrient information for free. The UI is different so it takes a bit to get used to but that is an option if you don't want a fee. Both platforms are great though!

I mostly only track protein and fiber but i might be going too low fat. Finished today at 139g protein, 177g carbs (40 fiber), and 36g fat.  Might be why I was hungry earlier. 

Still no alcohol and no days over calories. 88 days to Easter.
I love me some fat. Easy way add some without the classic fried food etc. is a good EVOO/Flavored balsamic combo for a salad or an herb olive oil drizzle over scramble eggs and toast in the morning. Both are in my rotation.

201.8, I've lost a touch over 30 lbs in a little over a year.

When covid starting spreading the first comorbidities were male, smoker, overweight and high blood pressure. I'm male, overweight and my blood pressure is usually just above the 120/80 reading that you want to be below. So I started my goal to lose 50 lbs. I honestly thought yeah right 50lbs I'm never going to lose that, but my fear of covid has been an excellent motivator. 30 lbs in 2020 I'm stoked! 20+ lbs in 2021here I come. I haven't been below 200 in probably 15 years I'm hoping to get below that in a few days, can't wait!
Awesome progress!  Keep it up!  I'm hoping to be sub 200 as well but am 10 pounds behind you.  Ultimately would like to get to 190 but not sure that is in the cards.

Does the premium version make it easier to track sodium intake?  That's what I'm most interested in at this point.  
I'm looking at my diary and I clicked on the day at the top. It shows me that I have eaten 1282mg sodium against a target of 2300. (I had frozen pizza with my kid for lunch).  I can also go to week view and see that I've averaged 1933m this week. 

The only thing is that some foods don't have anything listed so it just counts them as zero. So you'll need to be picky about which ones you pick if there are several entries. Usually the one with a check mark next to it is most accurate, or if you use the bar code scanner it usually pulls the whole nutrition info, but just double check. 

I read this and was like what's "feet moving stuff"?

Do you mean "walking"? 

And then I started imagining some video called "Feet Moving Stuff" and people paying for it or watching on youtube

And then I realized you meant you worked on your feet, moving stuff.

I used to be smart.  My mom said I had potential. 
Ah yes, that just shows how important a little comma can be.  

I am sorry if I made your brain hurt.  I will try to be better next time.

201.8, I've lost a touch over 30 lbs in a little over a year.

Well done!!   And congrats on your TD the other week!   Would be interested to hear how the Achilles rehab went.  ;)

I read this and was like what's "feet moving stuff"?

Do you mean "walking"? 

And then I started imagining some video called "Feet Moving Stuff" and people paying for it or watching on youtube

And then I realized you meant you worked on your feet, moving stuff.

I used to be smart.  My mom said I had potential. 
"You ever give a man a foot massage?"

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

One pattern I've started to notice is that I eat a lot healthier during the week than on the weekend.   Gotta figure that out --- or just accept the reality and build it into my plan.   And the reality is that my kids love to order burgers/malts on Saturday night, and we always do pizza night on Sunday.   

Users who are viewing this thread