What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (2 Viewers)

Rowing more than running after a stretch of doing the opposite.  I have been focusing on driving with my legs before beginning to pull, keeping a straight back, and doing scapular retraction (bringing my shoulders back so the blades come together) at the end of my pull.  It's definitely more work for my back and shoulders this way but I'm going to bed early as a result. 

87 days to Easter. Zero days over calories, zero alcohol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex P Keaton said:
Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

One pattern I've started to notice is that I eat a lot healthier during the week than on the weekend.   Gotta figure that out --- or just accept the reality and build it into my plan.   And the reality is that my kids love to order burgers/malts on Saturday night, and we always do pizza night on Sunday.   
No reason you can't eat perfect before and though, right? If you know night time won't be pretty then over compensate before and after. 

No reason you can't eat perfect before and though, right? If you know night time won't be pretty then over compensate before and after. 
Yep.   That’s what I do.  It still ends with me eating too many calories.  Gotta have a better plan this weekend.  Pretty sure it involves the Mrs and i sharing meals, which lets me still eat some crappy food but only a 1/2 portion.

Alex P Keaton said:
Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

One pattern I've started to notice is that I eat a lot healthier during the week than on the weekend.   Gotta figure that out --- or just accept the reality and build it into my plan.   And the reality is that my kids love to order burgers/malts on Saturday night, and we always do pizza night on 
Try skipping all food till noon on weekends.  Just force a change.  

ok, i’m in. started today after getting back from my vacation to the coast.

Tipped the scales at a massive 249.5- i had just gotten down to like 235 before Christmas. i guess, go big or go home. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Doing a 3-day water fast, followed by a 3-week juice cleanse, followed by a vegan diet, trying to stay around 80% raw. Not going for a particular weight loss goal, just want to change my lifestyle, and vegan seems like the healthiest diet for long-term health and longevity, imho.

Also starting the lowest level of Convict Conditioning tomorrow and the Couch to 5k app on Monday. 

Alex P Keaton said:
One pattern I've started to notice is that I eat a lot healthier during the week than on the weekend.   Gotta figure that out --- or just accept the reality and build it into my plan.   And the reality is that my kids love to order burgers/malts on Saturday night, and we always do pizza night on Sunday. 
My wife cooks all week, likes take out/fast food on Saturday and I usually cook Sundays. I've learned not to eat what the wife and kids eat on Saturday I usually hit the leftovers. Build it in the plan if it stays your routine.

Alex P Keaton said:
You are not the only one.  I have the same issues on the weekend.  We tend to eat out more and just have less time to plan meals.  Add in football snacking and beer and everything goes off the rails

This seems like a common issue in this thread.

Week 1 weigh in:

Jan 1 - 244.2

Jan 8 - 239.2

Below calories every day and above exercise goals 6 out of 7. 

The cravings for sweets are beginning to subside.  I find that cutting out the sugar entirely is much easier than trying to limit it.  Once I have 1 or 2 bites of chocolate I just want more.  Eating fruit quenches the sugar craving for me.

The cravings for sweets are beginning to subside.  I find that cutting out the sugar entirely is much easier than trying to limit it.  Once I have 1 or 2 bites of chocolate I just want more.  Eating fruit quenches the sugar craving for me.
It's funny that you typed this.  I just said to Mrs APK yesterday "wow, this apple tastes really sweet."   Mrs APK:  "that's just how apples taste."   Me:  😵

ok, i’m in. started today after getting back from my vacation to the coast.

Tipped the scales at a massive 249.5- i had just gotten down to like 235 before Christmas. i guess, go big or go home. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Doing a 3-day water fast, followed by a 3-week juice cleanse, followed by a vegan diet, trying to stay around 80% raw. Not going for a particular weight loss goal, just want to change my lifestyle, and vegan seems like the healthiest diet for long-term health and longevity, imho.

Also starting the lowest level of Convict Conditioning tomorrow and the Couch to 5k app on Monday. 
Wow thats a lot of things with names. Do you find that you need the structure?  Have you tried just CICO?

1/1: 213.8
1/2: 214.0
1/3: 213.2
1/4: 213.4
1/5: 212.4
1/6: 212.0
1/7: 211.4
1/8: 211.4

We had Paco's Tacos for dinner last night and overindulged just a little but been a good start both with eating better and regular exercise. I've committed to running about 25 to 30 miles a week, doing 100 push ups and 100 sit ups per day. Tracking those things closely, but also doing some other stuff - a little weights, some air squats, plank, etc. This month is about making sure the running habit is locked in and developing better core strength - along with a much healthier diet than over the holidays. 

Jan 1           274.4                  0                       Too many

Jan 2           xxx.x                    0                      Jog/walk 30 min

Jan 3           xxx.x                    0                      

Jan 4           272.2                -2.2                    1414 cal  Jog/walk 30 min, lift

Jan 5           267.6                -6.8                    922 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 10 min, lift, stretch

Jan 6           267.4                -7.0                    875 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 20 min, stretc

Jan 7           264.4                -10.0                  1359 cal  Jog 20 min, lift

Jan 8           264.6                -9.8

Plan is to bump the calories from 1400 to 2200 once I hit 259.

Jan 1           274.4                  0                       Too many

Jan 2           xxx.x                    0                      Jog/walk 30 min

Jan 3           xxx.x                    0                      

Jan 4           272.2                -2.2                    1414 cal  Jog/walk 30 min, lift

Jan 5           267.6                -6.8                    922 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 10 min, lift, stretch

Jan 6           267.4                -7.0                    875 cal  Jog 20 min, bike 20 min, stretc

Jan 7           264.4                -10.0                  1359 cal  Jog 20 min, lift

Jan 8           264.6                -9.8

Plan is to bump the calories from 1400 to 2200 once I hit 259.
Are those calories eaten or net after exercise?  If you're eating 900 and burning 500 that seems really dangerous 

Well, it's Friday and I've stuck with it. Have a plan for today (breakfast and lunch planned already that are healthy - going to allow myself to eat a cauliflower pizza tonight for a treat). May even be able to get out of work at a reasonable hour and hit the gym. House is devoid of my favorite snacky foods so may even be able to have a glass of wine or moderately enjoy the passing of Prop 207 without the risk of lowered will-power. 

Stepped on the scale this morning and somehow put back on a pound and a half. I was good yesterday (barely eclipsed my caloric goal) so not sure what happened there but just going to ignore. 

Are those calories eaten or net after exercise?  If you're eating 900 and burning 500 that seems really dangerous 
Eaten.

I have a pretty good idea based on history my base burn rate is 1800 cal.  Setting a goal of 1400 cal without exercise won't even get me to a pound a week loss.  Exercise will be the difference maker.  My exercise intensity is low enough that I'm mainly using fat as fuel. 

Eaten.

I have a pretty good idea based on history my base burn rate is 1800 cal.  Setting a goal of 1400 cal without exercise won't even get me to a pound a week loss.  Exercise will be the difference maker.  My exercise intensity is low enough that I'm mainly using fat as fuel. 
Ok good that makes more sense.  Your TDEE is probably higher than 1800 and your exercise calories are probably a bit higher too if your weight is up, so those 900 calorie days still seem borderline to me but if you're not doing that every day it's probably moot. 

Random thought:

Do we do our kids a disservice by making them eat everything on their plate?

I'm all in favor of making them eat some veggies but I think most of us grew up in an era where we were taught to eat it all.  That mindset is so ingrained in me - I still HATE to leave even one bit of a meal uneaten*.  And it's dumb.

*talking on my plate - not leftovers

Random thought:

I'm all in favor of making them eat some veggies but I think most of us grew up in an era where we were taught to eat it all.  That mindset is so ingrained in me - I still HATE to leave even one bit of a meal uneaten*.  And it's dumb.

It is dumb.  But it’s even dumber to pair that with giving kids too big of portions on their plate in the first place.

Random thought:

It's better to understand what an adequate portion size first, and not exceed that.  The issue with forcing the finishing of food is that it can serve to defeat hunger cues later in life (Note, this is controversial and not proven out but makes some sense).

Always focus on providing kids fiber containing carbs/veg and complete proteins at meals under the assumption they get enough sugar elsewhere in abundance.  

Eaten.

This is controversial.  Plenty of research that would indicate that body will preferentially go after muscle in a starvation situation first, as it's cost inefficient to convert fat to amino.   

If doing a very low calorie diet, the research does seem to support what are Protein Sparing Modified Fasts (PSMF), but even that is not without extreme detractors.  The concept being that if you give your body 1200 cals of which 60% are protein then it will not attack muscle for fuel (ideally, again controversial).  PSMF is also generally ketogenic, but that is not a requirement, you can get away with 100g carbs in a PSMF diet, easily.  

This is to say in general, if I was to select a very low calorie diet PSMF would be my choice.

Random thought:

The concept of trying different things isn't a bad thing but, yeah the "have to be part of the clean plate club" attitude is a bit of a disservice. I feel compelled to clean a plate even if I'm full so that is why one of my big keys in trying to be healthier is to just be careful about what/how much I put on my plate in the first place. The one area I really struggle with this is when going out to eat. Food/drink are the lowest expense in running a restaurant so most of them give you far more food than you want/need. I have a hard time not eating it all out of some kind of compulsion that runs deep!

Eating everything on the plate "should be" about not wasting food and some about eating things you may not like but are good for you or something like that. But that isn't really the reality that is driven home with forcing a clean plate, especially without considering portion size and the like. 

Nov 30: 234.4

------

Jan 1: 224.0

Jan 4: 221.6

Jan 8: 219.8

This is a big milestone for me, hit my first goal. Next goal is to get to 214 which means I will officially fall under the OBESE BMI level. I do know that I will bounce back over 220 tomorrow - didn't have a great eating day yesterday. Unlike Corporation, I tend to bounce a few pounds each day, but have been trending down, which is all I care about.

This is controversial.  Plenty of research that would indicate that body will preferentially go after muscle in a starvation situation first, as it's cost inefficient to convert fat to amino.   

If doing a very low calorie diet, the research does seem to support what are Protein Sparing Modified Fasts (PSMF), but even that is not without extreme detractors.  The concept being that if you give your body 1200 cals of which 60% are protein then it will not attack muscle for fuel (ideally, again controversial).  PSMF is also generally ketogenic, but that is not a requirement, you can get away with 100g carbs in a PSMF diet, easily.  

This is to say in general, if I was to select a very low calorie diet PSMF would be my choice.
Keeping bringing it...I love reading your posts and thoughts.  The days my calories slip low it's because I'm being lazy about preparing/bringing protein.  I think I found my secret sauce again early last year when I was making huge gains in the weight room and increased my bench press by about 100 pounds in 8 weeks.  Obviously some of that is start up gain, but I had struggled for years getting great results despite doing a similar lifting routine to what I did in my 20s.  I'd hit plateaus I couldn't break through and was attributing it to not doing enough work.  Last year I went back to 25-30 grams of protein 5 times a day spread 3 hours apart with one protein shake including beet powder and creatine.  In the younger days when I benching 425 at 195 lbs, I was super diligent about protein.  Last year I wasn't doing much cardio when lifting so I really don't know what the impact will be doing both and trying to fuel appropriately while losing weight.  Covid cut off my gym access and I just recently started back.  Event cancellations killed my will to run.  Kind of rolling the dice there but being overweight is more of a risk than Covid IMO.

I wanted to kickstart my weight loss my first week with as few calories as possible. I only ate a very healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day this week with no snacking. It works out to about 1000 calories a day. I haven't been starving because I am supplementing with plenty of water and black coffee so I am happy. However, I know that eating that few calories is not healthy long term. So next week I want to start adding healthy snacks. I want to end in the 1500 calorie/day range.

What healthy snacks are you guys eating?

I have completed my first week of no sweet tea. Water only. Got back to yoga class. I’m annoyed at all you guys losing between 3-10 pounds in the first week. 
Jan 1 208

Jan 8 206
Shedding glycogen will do that.  You can easily carry 8 pounds of glycogen, which is exceptionally hydroscopic.  If you deny it a renewal source you just pee it out.  

Shedding glycogen will do that.  You can easily carry 8 pounds of glycogen, which is exceptionally hydroscopic.  If you deny it a renewal source you just pee it out.  
I don’t even know what that is. 
I'll do my best culdeus to English translation. I'll let him or somebody else correct me, but I think it means something like:

If you get rid of glucose (eg carbs, sugar) in your system, you can lose a lot of weight fast. Your body can have lots of glucose in it, which causes your body to hold lots of extra water. If you burn glucose and don't refill it (by cutting out certain foods), the water doesn't have glucose to stick to and so you pee out that water (hence losing water weight fast). 

Hopefully that's close-ish. 

Eaten.

I know you've done this successfully in the past.  I've cut my calories for awhile now, and if I exercise too hard I get light headed.  As BF always says "I'm not a doctor" but just be careful with the extremely low calories.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9                    1620
  • Jan 7           210.3                -2.8                    1540
  • Jan 8           210.3                -2.8
Another flat day. I think this new chicken place I've been going to (SuperChix) must have larger portions and I'm not accounting for calories properly (they don't offer nutritional guides).  It is really good though.

I wanted to kickstart my weight loss my first week with as few calories as possible. I only ate a very healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day this week with no snacking. It works out to about 1000 calories a day. I haven't been starving because I am supplementing with plenty of water and black coffee so I am happy. However, I know that eating that few calories is not healthy long term. So next week I want to start adding healthy snacks. I want to end in the 1500 calorie/day range.

skyr 130 calories 15g protein 0g fat relatively low sugar

raspberries one serving is about 45 calories, 10g fiber

Broccoli 4 cups (one steamable bag of florets) is 100 calories, can make a huge bowl. I sometimes use sweet chili, sesame shoyu, general tso or kikkoman sweet soy sauce for rice or some grated cheese. 

Broccoli/cauliflower/carrots - same thing, same size bag is about 105 calories and more nutrients. 

Leftover pizza - run a pizza wheel through a slice and cut it into many smaller slices- like 8 slices that are half inch thick. Run the wheel across it to cut those into one quarter their length or so. You end up with a bowl full of pieces you can pick at like popcorn for the cost of one slice of pizza and it shows you down while eating which keeps you from eating that third slice.

Boom chicka pop popcorn- good fiber, quality microwave popcorn, tastes good and almost no unpopped kernels 

Random thought:

Yes/no if your dinner is some chicken and green beans then "making them finish" I think is fine.   But of you are doing some chicken fries rolls veggies I agree.   I actually thought about this before and I never made my daughter finish her meal. However, she also knew that means she is full and therefore could not have a snack or anything right after dinner.   I have also said she doesn't have to finish and saved her plate and if she said she was hungry I would reheat her plate.

Now I didn't always do this but you see where I'm going. Now she is a teenager and I have the reverse problem.  She will say she is not hungry and my wife is she needs to eat dinner!!!! I'm like she just ate 2 hours ago.   My wife has no concept of skipping a meal or not being hungry.

And just recently if I feel full I won't finish my dinner 

Random thought:

When our kids try this I'll eye up their plate and make sure the meat and veggies are gone. If they are then they are free to go. If they are not then they have an option - finish them or they're done eating for the night.

Cottage cheese or greek yogurt w/berries

Raw avocado

Sliced peppers (green/red/yellow/range) w/olive tapenade hummus

Lentils & beans

Hard boiled egg

Another good soda alternative that has helped me is Kombucha.  So many great flavors and satisfies that craving for me.  It can get to be an expensive daily habit but I never regret drinking it.  Normally a 16 oz bottle has 50 calories and 12 grams of sugar.

So far so good.  Trying to be consistent every day.  Moving every day one way or another.  3 long walks with the dog, walking while golfing, Peleton.  Being very disciplined with food intake.  Cut way back on salt (blood pressure + water retention) and eating clean.  No red meat.  Nothing processed.  No added sugar.  No bread or grain carbs.  No red wine at all.  No drinking on weekdays.  Had 2 vodka sodas tonight and that's it.  214 to 206.  Will get into the 190's and then see where I'm at.

Users who are viewing this thread