What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
This thread started as the lose weight between Thanksgiving and Christmas thread but enough people are posting in it now so let's keep the momentum for all of our new year's resolutions.

People are losing real weight especially @Corporation who has been killing it.  Some of us do keto, some intermittent fasting, and I'm just using the free app myfitnesspal to log my calories every day and will set it to lose 2lbs per week. Really, it's about knowing what works and what's safe for you and setting realistic, achievable goals. Talk to your doctor about any diet or exercise program before starting one. 

A lot of people have met their goals or set longer term goals. My plan was to go from late December until Easter (April 4th) without alcohol and keeping my diet to 1500 net calories per day. So far I've had alcohol twice and gone over calories four times and weigh the least i have in 20 years.

If you’re interested you can "join" at any time, you dont have to post your goal, your weight or anything you don't want to but if you're interested and want to post progress in this thread please do. I will. It helps me stay on track and I know other people have said it helps them too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to have lots of little 250 to 350 calorie meals and sometimes save up my calories for the day for a bigger meal. Some things I'm picking up at the grocery store:

-  raspberries and skyr.  1500 net calories a day is tough to get fiber and protein. Raspberries have a ton of fiber for their calories and they taste awesome. Skyr yogurt tastes meh but it's super good for protein and calories. Put the two together and for about 250 calories you can have a good tasting snack with most of my daily fiber and enough of my daily protein that I can just focus on calories the rest of the day

- eggs, mini bagels and Canadian bacon. I love an egg sandwich for breakfast and it feels like a huge cheat but they're only about 300 calories if you do it right. 140 calorie mini bagel or English muffin, 70 for a slice of cheese, 70 for the egg, and 60 for the meat is 340 calories. 

- packaged salads - i have a few that are about 250 to 350 calories counting dressing which is a decent meal. 

- tortillas, chicken, peppers and shredded Mexican cheese - simple fajitas or quesadillas, load them with chicken and peppers and it feels like a cheat meal but it's all protein

- broccoli and cauliflower- a huge bowl is about 100 calories and super filling, lots of vitamin c and fiber and they're good for my liver. I put a 30 calorie dash of this stuff on it https://kikkomanusa.com/images/homecooks/products/02309.png and it tastes amazing just steamed in the microwave. Toss in some cut up chicken, maybe a little brown rice and make it a meal.

- ground turkey, black beans and diced tomatoes with chilis. One pound turkey, one can of each of the others, makes a basic chili that's pretty healthy. This isn't going to beat judge smails or anything, it's food for fuel not food for fun. But it's decent with some chili powder, onion, garlic, etc. 

- small gatorades - 80 calories for the little bottle feels like a treat when I'm sweating. 

- lunch meat and good bread - I'm not a low carb fan. Other people do much better with it. When I have a 200 calorie pretzel roll loaded with meat it doesn't feel like I'm dieting. I might even get a classic mix with the little bags of lays, doritos, etc. 110 calories of chips and 260 calories of sandwich is right in line with my goals. 

In.  Hitting the big 5-0 in March and shedding my annual 10-15 I gain on our summer trip doesn't happen like it used to.  

Basic plan:

Breakfast - 1C oatmeal (1c water + 1c wheat milk) with sliced banana, honey, coconut oil, walnuts, fresh blueberries, cinnamon

Usually ok with that until 3-4pm.  Meal prepping every sunday with a crock pot full of black beans or lentils, quinoa, and frozen cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato.

Just started yesterday at 237 lbs/ 34.6%

This isnt a gimmicky diet and I'm not selling anything. 

I'm just using the free app myfitnesspal to log my calories every day and will set it to lose 2lbs per week. 

From my starting weight on November 30th to the morning of December 24th I expect to lose about 10 lbs exactly. Some of that will be water weight but most of it will be fat I needed to get rid of.  Why November 30th and not the day after Thanksgiving? Because I am going to enjoy my day after sandwiches and leftover pie. This isn't about giving up things i want, it's about setting realistic, achievable goals. 

If you're interested and want to post progress in this thread please do. I will. It helps me stay on track and I know other people have said it helps them too.

If you’re interested you can "join" at any time but I'm posting this now because sometimes it helps to commit early and plan around the starting date. 
I'll do this with you.  It's been an ugly year.

I got to get back on things. 

I lost 70 pounds last year. I went on a medically supervised diet and started going to the gym. Obviously was doing well. Kept on track mostly and was feeling so much better in many ways... but then I had two bouts of kidney stones (if you have had them, you know... if you haven't, easily the most painful thing I have ever felt) and many bouts of what later was diagnosed as gout (which also hurts). Basically my entire diet was on the list of 'do not eat' or 'avoid' lists for both kidney stones and gout. I was still going to the gym but put the diet thing on hold to figure out something else as when I last talked to the head doctor about the kidney stones he basically told me "do you want to die or do you want some pain?" meaning, keep doing what you are doing so you lose your weight and are healthy or die early because you are overweight. That didn't go over well with me. But then covid hit and I stopped working out because my whole thing was the gym plus having kids at home etc... just destroyed me. 

I have not weighed myself but I can tell by clothing and how my body feels that I have gained most if not all back. SUCKS. 

Trying to get back into doing some consistent work outs at home but still haven't figured out how to hit the diet thing without causing kidney stones and gout. The high protein was not too hard for me to follow which was lead to the success last time. Not sure how to approach it this time. 

I'm in.

Last year and a half I've lost my discipline. Even been eating vending machine crap at work the last couple months. This can be a jump start for me to get back to better eating habits.

GL all

Since COVID hit my diet has never been better as we stopped going out to eat and hitting happy hours twice a week.

Key is food prep.   

On Sunday morning I go the produce market.  When I get home I wash everything and leave out to dry.  The I cut everything up, peel the onions, I always have one onion peeled and one diced ready to go along with peppers the same way, also dice up the pineapple or whatever fruit so it is ready to eat.    Otherwise it will sit there in plastic bags until it goes bad.  Only buy enough for a week.

Then I get whatever proteins i want lined up for the week as well.   Salmon, chicken, ground turkey or whatever and meal plan.  Let that thaw out the day before if in freezer.

So many times in the past we have had plenty of food in our fridge and freezer but when dinner rolls around nothing was cleaned or thawed out..so hey lets order a pizza.

If you can find "Bare" Seasoned chicken breasts.  A little more expensive but well worth it.  I know Gordon food Service store sell them.  

In - but for 15; I figure after Tomorrow and Friday the starting weight will be inflated and I can probably not eat most of the rest of the weekend pretty easily.  The heck with counting calories - eliminate some carbs - get back to running and home gym ( Covid sucks here and I have not seen the inside of my gym in months)  and Wa La!

Love how many people are joining on. This is going to be awesome. 

People looking to lose more than ten - I'm in too, but I don't think it's realistic to safely do that by Christmas unless you are just loaded up with water weight. I'll be dieting again in January after taking Christmas week off. 

I'm in. 

Gonna be tough because I've dropped about 20 in the past few months, but I'm stuck right now - haven't seen a weight change in weeks. 10 lbs. in that time frame seems like a great goal.

I'm in. 

Gonna be tough because I've dropped about 20 in the past few months, but I'm stuck right now - haven't seen a weight change in weeks. 10 lbs. in that time frame seems like a great goal.
I know you are a keto guy, have you tried tracking calories at all?  I feel like that's the only way I can do it but everyone is different.

I know you are a keto guy, have you tried tracking calories at all?  I feel like that's the only way I can do it but everyone is different.
I have not. But I probably need to do something a little different.

I lost 20 ish lbs just cutting back carbs - still ate whatever I wanted (meat, eggs, cheese, veggies) and however much I wanted, and drank whiskey and light beer to my heart's content. So I was super happy with that.

But I've been stuck right at 200 lbs for about four weeks, still doing that. So I agree - time to change it up.

I know I feel tons better not eating wheat, so I'll probably add some fruit but watch how much of everything I eat. I'm super lazy, so I don't really want to count calories, but I know what I gotta do to cut back.

Up around 195, which is the biggest I've been in 11 years. Have gone from a gym in my building and a frequent walking meetings to being at home with only really meals to look forward to. Been tough, need to force myself to exercise more.

I have not. But I probably need to do something a little different.

I lost 20 ish lbs just cutting back carbs - still ate whatever I wanted (meat, eggs, cheese, veggies) and however much I wanted, and drank whiskey and light beer to my heart's content. So I was super happy with that.

But I've been stuck right at 200 lbs for about four weeks, still doing that. So I agree - time to change it up.

I know I feel tons better not eating wheat, so I'll probably add some fruit but watch how much of everything I eat. I'm super lazy, so I don't really want to count calories, but I know what I gotta do to cut back.
For me, calorie counting is a positive moment each day. It works for me because remembering not to eat is hard. I want to cheat 100 times a day and if i stop myself 99 I'm still a cheater. Remembering to log my food is easy by comparison. I just go to the app and type in a few letters of the food and it pops up in a list with all the info already filled in. Or i can use the barcode scanner. It's really not that much effort. 

And when I log my 325 calorie breakfast of skyr, 20 raspberries and a quarter cup of high protein granola and see that I already have 23g protein and 25g fiber for the day and still have 1200 calories left even if I don't exercise, I feel good. When I log my Thomas's mini bagel, egg, cheese and canadian bacon sandwich for another 325 calories, and see that I still have enough for a big dinner, i feel like I'm cheating. When I get on the treadmill or rower and do a good workout while I watch tv, then see how many calories I've burned, I feel awesome entering that.  When I have enough left at dinner for a burrito or a couple slices of pizza and a glass of wine, I feel like I'm getting away with something.  And when I click the button at the end of the day and it says if you ate like this every day, in 5 weeks you'd weight x, I get excited that I'm going to hit that goal. 

Those positive moments throughout the day add up until i have trained myself to be good. I still backslide but I can sustain this and get back to it easily because I have taught myself to want to count, and to want to exercise, and to want to see those results. 

I got to get back on things. 

I lost 70 pounds last year. I went on a medically supervised diet and started going to the gym. Obviously was doing well. Kept on track mostly and was feeling so much better in many ways... but then I had two bouts of kidney stones (if you have had them, you know... if you haven't, easily the most painful thing I have ever felt) and many bouts of what later was diagnosed as gout (which also hurts). Basically my entire diet was on the list of 'do not eat' or 'avoid' lists for both kidney stones and gout. I was still going to the gym but put the diet thing on hold to figure out something else as when I last talked to the head doctor about the kidney stones he basically told me "do you want to die or do you want some pain?" meaning, keep doing what you are doing so you lose your weight and are healthy or die early because you are overweight. That didn't go over well with me. But then covid hit and I stopped working out because my whole thing was the gym plus having kids at home etc... just destroyed me. 

I have not weighed myself but I can tell by clothing and how my body feels that I have gained most if not all back. SUCKS. 

Trying to get back into doing some consistent work outs at home but still haven't figured out how to hit the diet thing without causing kidney stones and gout. The high protein was not too hard for me to follow which was lead to the success last time. Not sure how to approach it this time. 
I support you but you do need to weigh yourself IMO. Reality sucks but I think it will help motivate you forward. Are you currently working with a dietician, sounds like you need guidance to help you with setting up your food guidelines. Just my two cents. I wish you the best.

I''m in too. I think the election getting settled will help as I was doing stress eating. Also thanksgiving dinner is going to be very different as we will be having dinner with 4 people total as opposed to 40. Lot less food. Last year we tailgated with a ton of food before Lions game, then went to brothers house for a huge spread after the game.

I support you but you do need to weigh yourself IMO. Reality sucks but I think it will help motivate you forward. Are you currently working with a dietician, sounds like you need guidance to help you with setting up your food guidelines. Just my two cents. I wish you the best.
I tried but my stupid thing battery is out and it is one of them round ones that you never have on hand and have to make a special trip to buy one. I keep trying to remind myself to get one when I go to the grocery and I just never remember to do that. 

Same here. I have used myfitnesspal previously and cronometer currently, and the calorie counting is the only way my brain works with holding itself accountable. I can do the maths and generalize everything perfectly fine without the apps, but having to type it in is just different. Moral of the story is for people to find what works for them!

Last night...lots of red wine, cheese, bread, and chili at our friends house last night, just us and the other couple spread out 10 feet apart from each other around the fire pit in the backyard last night. 

Gain 10 lbs by Christmas should be the new name of this. 

In - but for 15; I figure after Tomorrow and Friday the starting weight will be inflated and I can probably not eat most of the rest of the weekend pretty easily.  The heck with counting calories - eliminate some carbs - get back to running and home gym ( Covid sucks here and I have not seen the inside of my gym in months)  and Wa La!
Yeah...I probably put on 10 one the last two days.

Weighed in, I'm now at 14 pounds to lose by Christmas. Feel awful today but had a great time yesterday so not upset about it.

Starting weight is 230. Goal is 216.

In.  I'll try to be on a 1200 calorie per day diet with some moderate exercise until I drop some weight.  After I lose around 15 pounds, I'll increase my calories so I can increase exercise intensity.  I need to lose 36 pounds overall, disgusted with myself.  10 pounds by Christmas (and keeping it off) will be a good target.

I think that's 25 people which is amazing.  I'm excited to see all this interest and looking forward to hearing about progress.

Reminder that if you're doing your post Thanksgiving grocery shopping this weekend, the best way to keep yourself from eating junk and drinking too much booze is to not have it in the house.  Start thinking about healthy, low calorie meals and snacks that you enjoy.  

For people who don't diet often or don't necessarily have a plan, there's a few good options that seem to work well for people.

Low carb/keto diets work well for a lot of guys because you can see quick improvements, you get to eat lots of delicious meat and you can have some types of booze in moderation. I can't do it - I don't like cutting out crunchy foods which are all high carbs.  There's a lot you should learn about before starting keto for the first time to do it safely. 

Intermittent fasting works great for a lot of people too. 8 hours of eating, 16 hours of fasting- so you might eat your first meal at 10 and finish dinner by 6 and then not touch a bite the rest of the night. There's also 5:2 fasting which is 5 days of eating and 2 days of nearly (but not totally) going without food.  A couple hundred calories for the day gets you your whole caloric deficit for the week, as long as you're eating normally the rest of the week you should see results. Again, not for me. 

I do CICO - measuring Calories In vs Calories Out. I use the free myfitnesspal app or you can go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com and learn about it. They have an enormous database of foods including restaurant foods so if you get a slice of pizza from a local chain restaurant you can type in the name and probably find out how many calories it has. They have a bar code scanner too so you can find foods without typing anything in. It really is super easy to use and it's changed my life. I will talk about how I use it a lot, so if you're interested in trying it out you can follow me. 

I'm also doing a combination of running, rowing, bodyweight exercises and yoga.  I like burning extra calories each day because I let myself eat whatever extra I earn. That's very motivating for me but some people prefer to just keep their calorie goal higher and use their exercise to lose weight. 

If you find an approach that works for you, more power to you. I would love to hear about it. It helps me to get better and it might help someone else here too.  But don't just trust random people on the internet like me. I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.  Check forums like r/loseit and read their quick start guide for ideas.  There are a ton of free resources for people who are trying this out for the first time in a while.  

Good luck fellow fatties. We can do this together. 

Users who are viewing this thread