What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (4 Viewers)

I am going back to tracking food using WW points, but I will monitor the calories too just to see how they compare. Minimum 60 minutes of various exercise. 

Weight 1/1/21 - 243 lb

Day 1 in the books. 

21/35 WW points - 1400 calories

30 minutes bike trainer, 30 minute walk

Last edited by a moderator:
1-1 - 274.2.  Put on close to 55 lbs in the last 13 months and 40 of that since Covid hit. 

First step was to get some motivation so I entered the lottery for the Yeti 100 mile trail run yesterday.  Well my number was pulled so I'm in and need to get in shape.  My goal is to lose 8 pounds a month and be 210 on September 1 which is three weeks before the event.  I'll allow myself put back on 5 pounds the three weeks before the event on September 24th.  

Going to set a 1400 daily calorie limit at the start of each month until I lose 9 pounds and then bump that to 2300 for the rest of the month.  As long as I'm exercising I should be able to hold steady at 2300.  Based on past history my base burn is probably 1800 calories, but at this weight that is likely higher.  I'll be getting at least a 10% bump exercise calories at this weight also.

Some time between today and Monday I will be starting 100 runs in 100 days.  A run will be at least 20 minutes long.  A missed day can be made up with 2 runs in a day.  Last time I did this it lead to my best 5k time ever.

eta - Starting the diet on Monday once I get back home.

Day one went well from an exercise perspective.  Was not sure I was going to be able to get out for a run due to schedule...so on the dreaded treadmill I went.   Run actually went very well and wasn't all that bored on that thing.

Took the day off of alcohol (save one beer while grilling up some wings)...also grilled a tasty spinach dish.

My weakness right now is the Christmas candy we have made this year.  "That ish just keeps calling me man"  Im like a quivering Pookie in New Jack City for that stuff.

I started a few days ago knowing I'd overdone it over Christmas. I am still burning that off.  It's tempting to try to speed up that process, but I committed to being accountability buddy for my best friend from college during this. We were going to try this together two years ago, when we weighed the same amount, but he has put on 5 lbs while I've lost a bunch of weight.  I feel like if I tell him I just had 700 calories today while he's struggling to get down to 1700, it will send the message that some people are just better at this, which isn't true. It's really about learning things that work for you. I really want to help him with this. 

It's not like he's constantly eating trash. He has oatmeal with collagen for breakfast, a pear for a snack, cauliflower crust pizza instead of regular, and so on. Then he has a huge blowout and feels like he's just bad at dieting.  And the truth is, he is, but not for the reason he thinks. 

As an example. We were both doing good the first day. The second day, they had a family takeout night and he ended up eating a huge meal and blowing his calorie goal with "burrito/tacos".  So we talked about what went wrong and what to do differently next time.

His answer, predictably, was that he needs more willpower. I disagree, and I think this is a really important point for people who are new to this and have a long way to go. 

The issue isn't that you didn't have willpower, the issue is that you know you don't have the willpower to stop yourself from breaking your calorie goal at night, and once you break that goal, you give yourself permission to just say #### it and fall back into bad habits. 

Let's go back to the start of the day when you had a 690 calorie breakfast, and a 400 calorie lunch, and a 100 calorie snack.  What if you'd started with that 320 calorie breakfast you had yesterday, and a 400 calorie lunch, and skipped the snack?  Your calorie goal is 1680, so you'd have had 960 calories left.  Now go to Moe's and instead of the 1000 calorie homewrecker burrito, get a homewrecker Jr with double chicken, and load it up with black beans, rice, corn salsa and cheese and guacamole for 664. Then add on a loaded up beef taco on a corn tortilla for about 290.  Guess what, you stayed under your goal for the day. 

Well, I didn't know that we were getting takeout. Sure, but that is still under your control.  When you eat that big breakfast, you're saying "I am having this now instead of later".  Not "I'm having this now, and I hope I can stay good later".  You usually have willpower in the morning, use it. And if you go over, then just plan your day knowing that today's not a day I can have a big takeout for dinner. If you don't dump all the treats from your diet, you won't feel like every takeout night is an opportunity that you can't pass up.  And you can still have something. Like maybe you still have enough calories left over to get two tacos, or the jr homewrecker, but not one of each. The reason we track our calories is so we can see what we've eaten and how much we have left for something like this, and make good decisions when it comes up. 

The mindset isn't that you need to deprive yourself of "treats". It won't work and you dont have to to start. You didnt develop all of your bad habits overnight and you aren't going to quit them suddenly, either.  Acknowledge that you eat big meals at night, and make small improvements. The jr homewrecker vs the homewrecker. Just the jr homewrecker instead of a little of each. Maybe cutting down on the rice, or having a burrito bowl instead of the tortilla. 

You can go to McDonald's, if that's something hard to give up. If you really want that 1000 plus calorie value meal, just plan for it.  But even if you don't have a thousand calories left you can get a cheeseburger or an egg mcmuffin for 300 calories, instead of the big Mac for 550 or the mccrispy chicken clubhouse for 640.  Get a small fries for 230 calories instead of the large for 490. Yeah, it's less. But you get to eat McDonald's on your diet without starving yourself the rest of the day. 

Some of this might sound obvious to you if you're reading this, but it's not obvious for everyone. The disconnect between what I eat in the morning and what I have left for calories at night is a big hurdle for people. I routinely try to save 800 to 1000 calories at night because I want the freedom later in the day when my willpower suffers. There are also mornings where I want French toast or something. I guess I'm having a salad tonight. No biggie, because I had a nice dinner last night and I can have another tomorrow.  That's a sustainable way of thinking. Trusting yourself to have some magic willpower is not. 

I started a few days ago knowing I'd overdone it over Christmas. I am still burning that off.  It's tempting to try to speed up that process, but I committed to being accountability buddy for my best friend from college during this. We were going to try this together two years ago, when we weighed the same amount, but he has put on 5 lbs while I've lost a bunch of weight.  I feel like if I tell him I just had 700 calories today while he's struggling to get down to 1700, it will send the message that some people are just better at this, which isn't true. It's really about learning things that work for you. I really want to help him with this. 

It's not like he's constantly eating trash. He has oatmeal with collagen for breakfast, a pear for a snack, cauliflower crust pizza instead of regular, and so on. Then he has a huge blowout and feels like he's just bad at dieting.  And the truth is, he is, but not for the reason he thinks. 

As an example. We were both doing good the first day. The second day, they had a family takeout night and he ended up eating a huge meal and blowing his calorie goal with "burrito/tacos".  So we talked about what went wrong and what to do differently next time.

His answer, predictably, was that he needs more willpower. I disagree, and I think this is a really important point for people who are new to this and have a long way to go. 

The issue isn't that you didn't have willpower, the issue is that you know you don't have the willpower to stop yourself from breaking your calorie goal at night, and once you break that goal, you give yourself permission to just say #### it and fall back into bad habits. 

Let's go back to the start of the day when you had a 690 calorie breakfast, and a 400 calorie lunch, and a 100 calorie snack.  What if you'd started with that 320 calorie breakfast you had yesterday, and a 400 calorie lunch, and skipped the snack?  Your calorie goal is 1680, so you'd have had 960 calories left.  Now go to Moe's and instead of the 1000 calorie homewrecker burrito, get a homewrecker Jr with double chicken, and load it up with black beans, rice, corn salsa and cheese and guacamole for 664. Then add on a loaded up beef taco on a corn tortilla for about 290.  Guess what, you stayed under your goal for the day. 

Well, I didn't know that we were getting takeout. Sure, but that is still under your control.  When you eat that big breakfast, you're saying "I am having this now instead of later".  Not "I'm having this now, and I hope I can stay good later".  You usually have willpower in the morning, use it. And if you go over, then just plan your day knowing that today's not a day I can have a big takeout for dinner. If you don't dump all the treats from your diet, you won't feel like every takeout night is an opportunity that you can't pass up.  And you can still have something. Like maybe you still have enough calories left over to get two tacos, or the jr homewrecker, but not one of each. The reason we track our calories is so we can see what we've eaten and how much we have left for something like this, and make good decisions when it comes up. 

The mindset isn't that you need to deprive yourself of "treats". It won't work and you dont have to to start. You didnt develop all of your bad habits overnight and you aren't going to quit them suddenly, either.  Acknowledge that you eat big meals at night, and make small improvements. The jr homewrecker vs the homewrecker. Just the jr homewrecker instead of a little of each. Maybe cutting down on the rice, or having a burrito bowl instead of the tortilla. 

You can go to McDonald's, if that's something hard to give up. If you really want that 1000 plus calorie value meal, just plan for it.  But even if you don't have a thousand calories left you can get a cheeseburger or an egg mcmuffin for 300 calories, instead of the big Mac for 550 or the mccrispy chicken clubhouse for 640.  Get a small fries for 230 calories instead of the large for 490. Yeah, it's less. But you get to eat McDonald's on your diet without starving yourself the rest of the day. 

Some of this might sound obvious to you if you're reading this, but it's not obvious for everyone. The disconnect between what I eat in the morning and what I have left for calories at night is a big hurdle for people. I routinely try to save 800 to 1000 calories at night because I want the freedom later in the day when my willpower suffers. There are also mornings where I want French toast or something. I guess I'm having a salad tonight. No biggie, because I had a nice dinner last night and I can have another tomorrow.  That's a sustainable way of thinking. Trusting yourself to have some magic willpower is not. 
Yeah, the key messages in here are a big deal:

- most humans have less than perfect willpower

- willpower deteriorates as the day goes on

- if you accept this reality, you can adjust by eating less early in the day and “save calories” for when you have less willpower at night

At least that’s what I took away.   And that’s exactly what I’ve been trying to do the past 5-6 weeks.  It really does work.

- if you accept this reality, you can adjust by eating less early in the day and “save calories” for when you have less willpower at night

At least that’s what I took away.   And that’s exactly what I’ve been trying to do the past 5-6 weeks.  It really does work.
It sort of works. I was a guy who didn’t really eat breakfast on weekdays and often skipped lunch too. I still never got this in check, because at night I more than made it up with massive food and alcohol intake. So it’s not a silver bullet for everyone. 

But otherwise great write up and agree with the lessons. 

So I've got the exercise thing down pat.  I run 5-6 days/week and mix in 2-3 strength/core sessions and some Peloton bike for good measure.  I just started training for my 36th marathon a few weeks ago.  And I'm still probably 10+ pounds over my ideal race weight.

I need to tighten up my diet.  Runners tend to fall into this trap of thinking that we burn a lot of calories, so we can eat whatever we want.  Not true, especially as we get older.  And with my wife and I just having had our first child last week (at the tender ages of 43 and 38), my routine is all out of whack, which doesn't help.  I've done the MFP thing in the past, but some things are just so hard to enter into there.  I wish I could be as disciplined about the nutrition part of things as I am with the exercise.

It sort of works. I was a guy who didn’t really eat breakfast on weekdays and often skipped lunch too. I still never got this in check, because at night I more than made it up with massive food and alcohol intake. So it’s not a silver bullet for everyone. 

There isn’t a silver bullet for anything (except werewolves).  Good start to the year Otis.  Keep it going.

To make my comments more clear:  it has worked for me.  And nothing else I’ve ever tried has worked except for what BF wrote, paired with using an app to track calories, which keeps me accountable.  If I didn’t use the app - I would probably eat a pint of ice cream (or more) every single night.

I think one of the other big messages is that if you choose the lower calorie options, you can include them in your diet more often.. you might not have set aside 1000 calories for dinner, but you can have the 664 calorie homewrecker Jr instead of the 1000 calorie homewrecker. You can eat foods youre not "supposed to" eat on a diet and still lose weight.  Its not all or nothing. Get into the mindset that you are "dieting" but don't have to deprive yourself. 

The problem that you keep running into otis is that you drink and then stop controlling your food intake altogether. There's no plan you can put into place when you're sober that will make you have willpower when you're drinking.  It might work for other people but it doesn't work for you.  That's fine... just realize that you can't drink every night or you'll get fat.  

Maybe sustainable for you is 5:2 intermittent fasting.  I hate to auggest another fad diet, especially after you've sort of tried this one, but i would love to see you find something that actually works for you. This potato bull#### isn't going to last and quitting alcohol for a while is something I'd love to see you do but the truth is you don't want to. We've been through this. 

Youre clearly not fasting on weekends and Thursdays are just friday Jr. Ok. Maybe try fasting on Mondays and Wednesdays. If you show a litle restraint on your non fasting days, maybe you can still have your booze and drink it too. 

Reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

So I've got the exercise thing down pat.  I run 5-6 days/week and mix in 2-3 strength/core sessions and some Peloton bike for good measure.  I just started training for my 36th marathon a few weeks ago.  And I'm still probably 10+ pounds over my ideal race weight.

I need to tighten up my diet.  Runners tend to fall into this trap of thinking that we burn a lot of calories, so we can eat whatever we want.  Not true, especially as we get older.  And with my wife and I just having had our first child last week (at the tender ages of 43 and 38), my routine is all out of whack, which doesn't help.  I've done the MFP thing in the past, but some things are just so hard to enter into there.  I wish I could be as disciplined about the nutrition part of things as I am with the exercise.
Congratulations you poor dumb *******. 

The trick with counting calories for people who find it hard is to choose foods that have published nutritional information when possible, and to pick something close from the database when you can't find an exact match. If i get pizza from a mom and pop place, I don't know the exact ingredients but I can still look at similar pizza and guess. Is this about the size of a large slice from domino's or sbarros?  Is it thin and greasy?  Or more like a Margherita/neopolitan? Find something close, and move on. With the exercise you do, being off by 100 calories on your food once or twice a day really won't matter that much. 

I look forward to the ritual of clicking complete diary at the end of the day with a calorie deficit.  It's become important to me. There are also days that I don't enter anything, and I eat like a teenager whose parents went away and left money for takeout and an unlocked liquor cabinet. It's not pretty.  I just binged for the better part of 2 months and I'm still off.

I'm not holding myself up as some paragon of dieting virtue, when you've clearly been in and stayed in much better shape. I let myself get fat, then got fatter, then got fattest before finally doing something about it.  Unfortunately I've got some bad news for the new dad.  You're going to find it more and more difficult to set aside 90 minutes for a training run, and you are going to choose to cut back on your training schedule, and you are going to find out what your metabolism looks like when you're in your 40s and not burning 1500 plus calories every time you run. Spoiler - it blows. Exercise is a workaround to your bad eating habits, but if you take some of that away while also aging and having less sleep, you'll appreciate the time you put in now getting better at controlling your intake. 

Unfortunately I've got some bad news for the new dad.  You're going to find it more and more difficult to set aside 90 minutes for a training run, and you are going to choose to cut back on your training schedule
Clearly you don't know me ;)  

That's the approach I pretty much take.   Its why I gave up eating breakfast.   I didn't feel it affected me in a negative way and I would save a couple hundred calories for later in the evening when I want to snack.   Another technique that I want to try is going to bed earlier at night.   I'm typically an 11:30-7:30 sleeper but if I can get to sleep at say 10 and maybe wake up at 6:30 instead, that will cut down that snacking window.   Just laying down and reading a book on the kindle for 10 minutes usually puts me out.  I just need the self discipline to repeat that.  In general, I'd much rather be up at 6:30 rather than 10:30 most days.   There's a lot more options with the sun being out.  

That's the approach I pretty much take.   Its why I gave up eating breakfast.   I didn't feel it affected me in a negative way and I would save a couple hundred calories for later in the evening when I want to snack.   Another technique that I want to try is going to bed earlier at night.   I'm typically an 11:30-7:30 sleeper but if I can get to sleep at say 10 and maybe wake up at 6:30 instead, that will cut down that snacking window.   Just laying down and reading a book on the kindle for 10 minutes usually puts me out.  I just need the self discipline to repeat that.  In general, I'd much rather be up at 6:30 rather than 10:30 most days.   There's a lot more options with the sun being out.  
Try brushing your teeth earlier. It's magic.

Your weaknesses have been abundantly clear for years. For you to attain and sustain success you must develop a plan built around those weaknesses. You're 240 pounds again on January 1 because the plans you create are not built around those weaknesses. 

Going to bed at a semi-reasonable time is something I wish I had made a serious effort at years ago. It helps with everything.

I haven't been perfect but since this thread (just after Thanksgiving) I've been asleep by midnight most nights, and have saved myself thousands of calories that I would have mindlessly eaten not because I was truly hungry, but just because. I've been underrating sleep my whole life. 

Going to bed at a semi-reasonable time is something I wish I had made a serious effort at years ago. It helps with everything.

I haven't been perfect but since this thread (just after Thanksgiving) I've been asleep by midnight most nights, and have saved myself thousands of calories that I would have mindlessly eaten not because I was truly hungry, but just because. I've been underrating sleep my whole life. 
Sleep is like special teams.   Often overlooked by the casual person, but just as important as other phases of the game.   

I feel like if I tell him I just had 700 calories today while he's struggling to get down to 1700, it will send the message that some people are just better at this, which isn't true.
I’m just a lurker in here but I’m wondering how you reach the conclusion that this isn’t true.  It seems very obvious to me that it is true.

This reminded me- like many others, I drank a lot Wednesday night. I also ate a lot of food, most of it wasn't terribly unhealthy but eventually the lid got lifted. Cause alcohol. Then I went to bed at an obscene hour and slept terribly. Yesterday's workout was miserable and mostly ineffective then I ate more garbage all day long.

But here's the thing - I expected all of that. It's why I don't drink much anymore. Poor diet leads to poor sleep leads to poor exercise and the vicious cycle continues unless you intervene. I made good decisions between Dec 27 and about 7 pm that night knowing it would all go to hell between then and this morning. And now it's back to good decisions. Get adequate rest then I'm more likely to fuel properly. Do both and I'm more likely to exercise well. Do those 3 things well then I can channel the rest of my energy to stress management. Do all 4 of those things consistently and you have good health. 

How to accomplish it? Each person needs to set their own priorities for their own unique situations while accounting for their own unique strengths and weaknesses. My weakness is gluttony. So I overtly limit the amount of times I'm in such situations. 

I’m just a lurker in here but I’m wondering how you reach the conclusion that this isn’t true.  It seems very obvious to me that it is true.
It's a skill, not a talent, by which I mean its a skill that can be learned, not some natural that you just weren't born with. 

You've met me a few times. I was fat, and got even fatter.  I was bad at controlling my weight and Ididn't fix it. Now I'm less fat.  I learned a bunch of things that work for me and lost about 65 lbs over the last year and a half. Sadly I'm not done yet. But I think it's pretty clear that I learned how to take better care of myself. 

An important part of that was embracing the reality that I have ####ty willpower and had developed some awful habits. So when I tried to lose weight I'd set unrealistic goals with no real plan to change, then when my willpower invariably failed, I'd go back to the old habits.  It didn't click for me until I started tracking calories and gamifying it for myself. 

Other people have had similar experiences with keto or using the noom app or doing weight watchers or plans like what your ex did. They almost all have something in common- keeping track of what you eat, setting rules for yourself and measuring against them, etc.

Most people who permanently hit their long term weight goals feel like they've found a cheat.  Maybe they love running, or lifting. Maybe they find they actually like quinoa or almonds or baked kale chips. Maybe they're like me and don't mind dieting for days on end without a drop of booze if they can eat "bad" foods sometimes and go on a bender once in a while.  

On the other hand, when someone who has gained a lot of weight tries to diet and fails, they often blame their willpower.  It's a bad excuse. It's not your lack of willpower,  it's your reliance on it as though it's something that some people are born with and you just weren't. Yes some people avoided learning bad habits.  Yes some people learned how to stop their weight gain before it got out of control. For many people who didn't, it's possible to learn how to fix it.

(note - I'm not talking about people with medical conditions, depression, taking medication that leads to weight gain, etc)

It's a skill, not a talent, by which I mean its a skill that can be learned, not some natural that you just weren't born with. 
Right, and in my experience, some people much more easily can learn these skills than others.  Not everyone has the same sort of attachment to eating unhealthy foods.  

To me it sends a bad message to assume that everyone is equally capable of maintaining a healthy weight.  Because then you're looking at all the skinny people walking around and you feel like a total failure in comparison.  But the truth is that most of those skinny people don't face the same struggles.  It might be super easy for them to be skinny.  But maybe they have problems with something else that's easy for you.  

I think one of the other big messages is that if you choose the lower calorie options, you can include them in your diet more often.. you might not have set aside 1000 calories for dinner, but you can have the 664 calorie homewrecker Jr instead of the 1000 calorie homewrecker. You can eat foods youre not "supposed to" eat on a diet and still lose weight.  Its not all or nothing. Get into the mindset that you are "dieting" but don't have to deprive yourself. 

The problem that you keep running into otis is that you drink and then stop controlling your food intake altogether. There's no plan you can put into place when you're sober that will make you have willpower when you're drinking.  It might work for other people but it doesn't work for you.  That's fine... just realize that you can't drink every night or you'll get fat.  

Maybe sustainable for you is 5:2 intermittent fasting.  I hate to auggest another fad diet, especially after you've sort of tried this one, but i would love to see you find something that actually works for you. This potato bull#### isn't going to last and quitting alcohol for a while is something I'd love to see you do but the truth is you don't want to. We've been through this. 

Youre clearly not fasting on weekends and Thursdays are just friday Jr. Ok. Maybe try fasting on Mondays and Wednesdays. If you show a litle restraint on your non fasting days, maybe you can still have your booze and drink it too. 

Reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 
Interesting. Maybe I do need to “gamify” it as you suggest. What I like about your approach and what you’re saying is you don’t need to give up anything completely. You just have to moderate and be smart about it.

The potato thing absolutely won’t last long, and I know that.  It’s a nice reset but it’s unsustainable. Though I did watch my family eat delicious pizza and have wine and donuts. And I had baked potatoes and water. 

:coffee:  

(I’d kill for a drink right now. Is it summer yet?)

And the bad of being one who exercises a lot...I am way more hungry at times...my body is burning it...but knowing i meed to duel that netter than I do...and doing it are two different things.  And yes...compound that for you now with a child...

Congrats on that man...a nice gift for you all this Christmas.

I did a great job of exercising today (5 mile run, 6 miles walking, shoveled snow for 30 min, did 30 min yoga) but unfortunately also ate 2,400 calories including a chocolate peanut butter malt that I only planned to consume half of and freeze the rest.  Well, nobody is perfect.

edit to add:  my wife and daughter are gone for 36 hours, so my son & I are flying solo.  We decided to indulge with burgers and malts for dinner.  It was worth it - he was just glad to have some solo time w dad and deviate from “mom’s crazy focus on healthy eating.”

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
Well I knew the jump was coming after the big cheat day but I didn't think it would be that big.  Had a good day today so I expect it to be down tomorrow or the day after.

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
Well I knew the jump was coming after the big cheat day but I didn't think it would be that big.  Had a good day today so I expect it to be down tomorrow or the day after.
Yeah, that’s a big jump but like you wrote, you know the drill and will quickly chip away.

In

5’11”

·       Food journal daily – MFP app

·       Habit tracker – Bullet journal

·       FBG thread – Weekly weigh in post

Habits:

·       Daily steps 10,000 – 14,000 (will resume running at some point)

·       Weights – 3 x weekly

·       Yoga – 5 x weekly

·       Peloton – 3 x weekly

·       Push up challenge daily

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

Hanging out with my brother to celebrate New Years tonight, so starting a New Years to Valentine's Day stretch starting on Sunday. Official weigh in on Sunday, but thinking I should be starting around 219 since I've eaten decent this week but had a few high calorie days. 
220.0 this morning. Had hoped to be a little lower, but I had a lot of cookies and beer the week between Christmas and New Years. With 6 weeks to Valentine's Day, the goal is 210 which should be very attainable. 

Ok @bostonfred, I’m in.  MFP locked and loaded.  We’ll give this a go.  
If we're doing this we are doing it for real, right?  Logging every bite and every bit of exercise, staying under your calorie goal each day, reporting in the thread, discussing ways to improve? If so I'm excited, although I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

If we're doing this we are doing it for real, right?  Logging every bite and every bit of exercise, staying under your calorie goal each day, reporting in the thread, discussing ways to improve? If so I'm excited, although I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.
Yup.  So far today I’ve logged every bite.  MFP is also linked to my Garmin, so my rows and walks are being imported into MFP.  I set my daily activity as the most sedentary, which is probably not far from the truth, but in any event I’d rather have the minimum benefit of my non-exercise caloric burn to be conservative.  

And yes I plan to stay within my goals every single day, except for occasions on which I plan to go over, and will make up the overage with a deficit the day before or day after. 

Noom looks interesting. I've long thought the key is to change habits/behavior, and that seems to be a big part of this.
I filled out the questionnaire. I've read people have had tough time canceling.

Pro tip. Get all the way to the end where you decide to pay. Don't.   Exit out, they will send you an email with a reduced price

My son earned his reward today and wanted to go to a restaurant that I enjoy for once. I just did my workout and planned out exactly enough calories to get salmon, baked potato and broccoli... and they've discontinued the baked potatoes and are out of salmon tonight.

Was tempted to get some boneless buffalo wings or other garbage, because hey, it's not my fault, but knowing I'd have to be honest later and log the calories- and admit it to my accountability buddy- I got scallops with mashed and broccoli which was almost exactly the same calories. 

Started a week early, so I'm at 7 days down with zero days going over calories, and zero alcohol. 90 days to Easter. 

3 days in and still going strong. Even bought the kids milkshakes tonight, but didn’t get anything for myself. Ate a bowl of fruit with a little Cool Whip instead.

45 bike, 60 minute walk

1300 calories (18 points)

Traveling for work tomorrow so it will be tough to get in the exercise, but I will figure something out. It might just be yoga, sit ups, push ups and squats in the hotel room. I am not sure if I trust using the gym (if it is even open). 

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.1
So hopefully I was just retaining water with the cheat day big jump.  Weighed 3 times both of the last 2 days to verify that it wasn't a wonky weight, I think I was just a little bloated.  Should finish the day around 1600 calories.

3 days in and still going strong. Even bought the kids milkshakes tonight, but didn’t get anything for myself. Ate a bowl of fruit with a little Cool Whip instead.

45 bike, 60 minute walk

1300 calories (18 points)

Traveling for work tomorrow so it will be tough to get in the exercise, but I will figure something out. It might just be yoga, sit ups, push ups and squats in the hotel room. I am not sure if I trust using the gym (if it is even open). 
That's always one of the hard things for me when I'm getting something that tastes great for others.  Had my Dad's birthday today and passed on the cake and ice cream.  Keep it up!

Even bought the kids milkshakes tonight, but didn’t get anything for myself.

That's always one of the hard things for me when I'm getting something that tastes great for others.  Had my Dad's birthday today and passed on the cake and ice cream.  Keep it up!
There's nothing wrong with having it if you have the calories left for it but the idea of having a little breakfast and a salad for lunch and a tiny dinner just so I can have a slice of birthday cake.. no thanks.  

12/28 221.6

12/29 220.4

12/30 219.8

1/1 218.6

1/4 220.2   - I knew todays weigh in would be high - I "took this weekend off" to finish up all the holiday food and pies and candy we had.   Not an excuse - I knew I was getting in one final holiday glutton.    I'm 100% dedicated.  205 by Valentines day is my mark

Users who are viewing this thread