Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Lots of success stories, and new people joining all the time. Congrats to Corporation on breaking 190 and me for being overweight.


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Stay the #### away from my coffee Doug 

No worries, my man :D 

Kind of reminds me a bit of when 1980s nutritionist Robert Haas wrote about working with Australian tennis pro Fred Stolle. Stolle was willing to make almost all of Haas' recommended diet changes, but drew the line at beer -- "Don't take away my bloody beer!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stepped on the scale this morning and saw 219.6.  That's probably just a nice fluctuation and I'll be back to 220.4 tomorrow morning but it was exciting. The last two months I've been losing weight i

FINALLY! 199.3. New # is 190. One day at a time 

Alright I'm in.   In June of 2019 I finished my 25th ultramarathon race with the San Diego 100 miler.  I weighed in the low 180s then, so at 5' 11" in no way was I skinny as I still had a bit of

22 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

what I mean is good question i don't know just never really found the right sweetener i guess but hey to each their own!

It's a very individual thing, no doubt about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madshot31 said:

What app are you using? Just wondering. I haven't looked into IF that much, does morning coffee count against the fast?

it an app on my phone called Zero. 

and kind of with the coffee. if you drink coffee just black with nothing added to it, it is allowed. if adding milk/half and half/sugar it doesn't because it triggers your body out of the phase. they recommend you can use a little bit of cream (instead of half and half) if you want, and it shouldn't have too much of an impact. 

It has to do the autophagy and the insluin triggers opening or closing. I'm new to the science behind it, and trying to figure it out. there is a whole bunch that goes into it.

and what is pretty crazy with the fasting is that the first few days and week can be a little rough, but after that your body adjusts and the hunger fits into your schedule. I fall into the trap of classical conditioning, where if i go in the kitchen my body begins to react and i get hungry. It sucks when i make my daughter breakfast because i go into it not being that hungry but after making her something i want to eat pretty bad. 

Edited by modogg
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, madshot31 said:

Nice! People usually use or generally have too much salt from premade foods. It is great at enhancing flavor, its just many people use it as the flavor, which becomes a sodium bomb.

Yup another fact I never knew before starting on my low sodium diet - 1 teaspoon of salt puts you at 2300mg (which is supposed to be the max daily amount).  One freaking teaspoon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Jan 30         202.1                -24.0                                          1650
  • Jan 31         202.3                -23.8                                          2000 - Hard to know for this one, estimate only
  • Feb 1          202.1                -24.0                                          1390
  • Feb 2          201.5                -24.6                                          1580
  • Feb 3          201.9                -24.2                                          1520
  • Feb 4          201.9                -24.2

Another flat day.  I know for sure it's poop since I haven't gone in 3 days.  I've had this happen repeatedly during this process.  I started taking probiotics daily to help out with it, but I've got to do something else.

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corporation said:
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Jan 30         202.1                -24.0                                          1650
  • Jan 31         202.3                -23.8                                          2000 - Hard to know for this one, estimate only
  • Feb 1          202.1                -24.0                                          1390
  • Feb 2          201.5                -24.6                                          1580
  • Feb 3          201.9                -24.2                                          1520
  • Feb 4          201.9                -24.2

Another flat day.  I know for sure it's poop since I haven't gone in 3 days.  I've had this happen repeatedly during this process.  I started taking probiotics daily to help out with it, but I've got to do something else.

Magnesium? Take before you go to bed, it also helps with sleep.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corporation said:

Another flat day.  I know for sure it's poop since I haven't gone in 3 days.  I've had this happen repeatedly during this process.  I started taking probiotics daily to help out with it, but I've got to do something else.

My wife has the same issue going on as she's been "dieting" with me.  I totally cannot relate - I go either once or multiple times per day - so crazy.  Good luck man!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corporation said:

Another flat day.  I know for sure it's poop since I haven't gone in 3 days.  I've had this happen repeatedly during this process.  I started taking probiotics daily to help out with it, but I've got to do something else.

It happened to me a lot on my first extended weight loss kick. Upped my fiber a ton and lots of water and exercised more.. I don't get constipated but do sometimes go more than a day without a poop because there's not much in my belly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Peleton sweat today + golf in addition to 2 30 minute walks with the dog. Egg beaters for breakfast. Grilled chicken lettuce wraps for lunch. Handful of almonds while golfing. Baked potato with salsa for dinner. Good sign is golf shorts were loose and I reached the end of my belt notches. Need to punch more holes or by different belts. 
I feel so much better after the Peleton. I don’t know why I’m not on it 5 days a week 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Corporation said:
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Jan 30         202.1                -24.0                                          1650
  • Jan 31         202.3                -23.8                                          2000 - Hard to know for this one, estimate only
  • Feb 1          202.1                -24.0                                          1390
  • Feb 2          201.5                -24.6                                          1580
  • Feb 3          201.9                -24.2                                          1520
  • Feb 4          201.9                -24.2

Another flat day.  I know for sure it's poop since I haven't gone in 3 days.  I've had this happen repeatedly during this process.  I started taking probiotics daily to help out with it, but I've got to do something else.

I mean this is normal.  Supplement with psyllium husk or just get the expensive metamucil stuff until you find enough fiber to stay on the reg bro. It's likely a sign you aten eating enough veg. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

CONFESS: just checking in after a bad few days.  It it’s not real world circumstances. Week 1 away from home I was amazing. Week in trial, not so much. It’s the kind of thing only a lawyer can probably understand, but when you’re in a trial, it’s 18 hours a day working and you’re lucky if you get some sleep at “night.”  Stressful to the bone and all-consuming with a lot riding on your performance. So the past several days I ate whatever they brought in and put in front of me, food snacks chocolate, glass of wine to fall asleep. I counted none of it.

 But here’s the upside: looking forward to getting home tomorrow and eating well and feeling good again. The past two weeks could have been worse. It’s ok. I’m playing the long game. Back to counting, having a chance to go for a walk, be with family and take care of myself once I’m home. 
 

Fred, given this week, 220 by 2/20 probably is out of reach. But damn I can still try. 
 

Oats. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bostonfred said:

what I mean is good question i don't know just never really found the right sweetener i guess but hey to each their own!

Have you tried Stevia?

I also bought a latte machine so the heated milk is plenty sweet for me.  It's a nice treated to started the day and only 110 cal?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bostonfred said:

@BassNBrew

But in an effort to both increase and spread out the protein, I'm adding a second skyr to that breakfast and a little high protein granola, or a scoop of protein powder and some strawberries and blueberries and throwing the whole thing in the blender for a shake. I'm adding a second egg to that egg sandwich. And at your recommendation I'm cutting the chicken breast in half and having some right now and some later. That now gets me to about 140g protein and over 30g fiber. 

Those changes put me around 1650 calories for the day, but I'm counting exercise calories and you aren't so I'm fine going over total calories if my net are under 1500. You're trying to stay around 1400 without eating back your exercise calories... but you can also cut out that sugary crap I drink in the morning and get this exact plan down to 1400. 

I know you said the trick is "eating boring" but i like all this stuff. And I love shrimp and they're even better than chicken for protein per calorie. So getting my fiber and protein while staying under calories is definitely doable... the question I still have is whether it's realistic to do this while also cutting weight and the answer appears to be that I'm performing human experiments on myself. 

Nice work here.  I will be interested to see how this works out for you.

Also a consideration that three egg whites = 45 cal and matches the protein of the 140 cal eggs.  When I'm making an omelette I'll often use 3 egg whites and one whole egg for 115 calories and 18g protein rather than 145 cal and 12g protein.  Taste is pretty similar.  On a sandwich I don't mind forgoing the yolk all together.

Until I read that article, I didn't realize how low in cal cottage cheese and yogurt were.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking in. The scale is not as dramatic yet, but the size 35 and 34 jeans are feeling great. I am still locked in on the behavior changes. The weight is going to follow. 

Weigh in:

Jan 1 - 236.2 

Jan 8 - 229.8

Jan 15 - 229.2

Jan 26 – 226.2

Feb 25 - 225

Edited by Berlin
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Otis said:

CONFESS: just checking in after a bad few days.  It it’s not real world circumstances. Week 1 away from home I was amazing. Week in trial, not so much. It’s the kind of thing only a lawyer can probably understand, but when you’re in a trial, it’s 18 hours a day working and you’re lucky if you get some sleep at “night.”  Stressful to the bone and all-consuming with a lot riding on your performance. So the past several days I ate whatever they brought in and put in front of me, food snacks chocolate, glass of wine to fall asleep. I counted none of it.

 But here’s the upside: looking forward to getting home tomorrow and eating well and feeling good again. The past two weeks could have been worse. It’s ok. I’m playing the long game. Back to counting, having a chance to go for a walk, be with family and take care of myself once I’m home. 
 

Fred, given this week, 220 by 2/20 probably is out of reach. But damn I can still try. 
 

Oats. 

228 by 2/28!

I took a cheat day this week and drank wine. We got two feet of snow and my snowblower broke so I had to do it by hand. I get it. 

You know that this is a pattern for you, you do well when you're in structure and you struggle when you hit adversity. @MAC_32 and others have been saying this for years. And the advice has usually been that you need to figure out how to stay on track while you're "out of structure". 

I'm going to give you different advice this time. 

You need to get good at starting your diet back up after cheat days. 

You aren't changing jobs any time soon and you struggle with the stress during days like this.  It doesn't seem like that's going to change and you're not going to change how you handle it and there's no sense beating yourself up over that. 

What you can do is this.

Try to make it days, not weeks. A day instead of days. But if the truth is that you're weak when you're stressed, you need a strategy for after these inevitable blow ups because they keep happening. One day of 4000 calories after a week of 1500 isn't a huge deal. It's like half a pound of fat, if your body even has time to convert it to fat. 4 days of 4000 is like two pounds of fat.. that's going to take you a whole week of super good eating and exercise to catch up to where you were at the start of the binge. A week of 4000 is like throwing away a whole month - its going to take you a couple weeks to umdo the damage. So if you need to binge today, binge today, understand the consequences, and decide tomorrow if it's worth it again. Get better at deciding when it's not worth it. 

That includes today. You're heading home tonight and then tomorrow is Saturday and thats when you usually want Mexican and then Sunday is the superbowl and that's definitely a cheat day so why is today a cheat day?  Can you be good today, and not oveeeat today, and not drink when you're headed home to see the family?  

Moreover, when you go to start things back up, it's going to feel like the first day of a diet again. Are you able to flip the switch back on?  It's hard. My first cheat day after a long time ####s me up. I want to start back up but I know that I got away with it yesterday and could get away with it today. My brain becomes my enemy.  If this is a long term change, a lifestyle change, you need to develop the skill of starting back up again. Pay attention to how you feel and what works and what's hard about getting back on track. Even if it's just today and tomorrow, and you're going to cheat again on Sunday... getting back to your diet today will make you better at this on Monday. 

You seemed to do well with myfitnesspal. That's awesome because it's something you can use for your whole life if you want, and the concept of calorie counting works for weight loss, maintenance, or even when you're off your diet and wondering what the damage was. So today, go in and log everything. Get used to the process again. Report back and tell us what a great job you did. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Have you tried Stevia?

I also bought a latte machine so the heated milk is plenty sweet for me.  It's a nice treated to started the day and only 110 cal?

Heated milk might be an option. I loved those Starbucks sweet cream things and those were no sugar added. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Nice work here.  I will be interested to see how this works out for you.

Also a consideration that three egg whites = 45 cal and matches the protein of the 140 cal eggs.  When I'm making an omelette I'll often use 3 egg whites and one whole egg for 115 calories and 18g protein rather than 145 cal and 12g protein.  Taste is pretty similar.  On a sandwich I don't mind forgoing the yolk all together.

Until I read that article, I didn't realize how low in cal cottage cheese and yogurt were.

This is so dumb but for some reason I never even considered using egg whites for my sandwiches. Maybe I'll pick up some egg whites in a carton tonight when I go grocery shopping... if I could shave my egg sandwich under 200 calories and still get 20g protein from it I'd eat one every day. Thanks, seriously. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

This is so dumb but for some reason I never even considered using egg whites for my sandwiches. Maybe I'll pick up some egg whites in a carton tonight when I go grocery shopping... if I could shave my egg sandwich under 200 calories and still get 20g protein from it I'd eat one every day. Thanks, seriously. 

Yup - that was a great tip!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Otis said:

PS Super bowl Sunday is a cheat day. Just saying. 

It was a cheat day. Then you had a bad week. So now it's not anymore. That is, if health really is a priority.

Decisions have consequences.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, belljr said:

Hit 225 at one point

Start 223 somewhere for this...

  • 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
  • 1/6 218.4
  • 1/7 218.0
  • 1/9 218.0
  • 1/15 216.8
  • 1/21 215.4
  • 1/29 214.8
  • 2/4  213.6

I'll feel a lot better when i get that 209 intermediate goal :)

2/5 213.

I would love to get to 200 by 3/2 have a fitting. I know that's not realistic but hopeful.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jan 1 - 214.0
  • Jan 8 - 211.4
  • Jan 15 - 207.2
  • Jan 22 - 207.6
  • Jan 29 - 207.2
  • Jan 30 - 207.6
  • Jan 31 - 206.6
  • Feb 1 - 209.0
  • Feb 2 - 206.0
  • Feb 3 - 205.6
  • Feb 4 - 206.6
  • Feb 5 - 205.6

Feeling good. Starting to make progress again, more or less. Looking forward to getting back to sub 200 - hopefully in the next month +/- depending on if I can "knuckle down". 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

fun picture: https://ibb.co/5BdPFw6

That's from the app that links from my scale and is monthly averages since I got it (7/2018). Top dotted line is 220, bottom one is 200. Dramatic drop from 2220 to 200 is when I got serious about running and watching my intake. Was training for a couple spring half marathons. Slight bump up was summer vacations and laziness followed by training for my first marathon. 

That's followed by winter increase, a little 'hold steady' and then Covid get fat again time. Kind of looks like some kind of sea serpent or something - the iggy ness monster! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Peleton sweat today + golf in addition to 2 30 minute walks with the dog. Egg beaters for breakfast. Grilled chicken lettuce wraps for lunch. Handful of almonds while golfing. Baked potato with salsa for dinner. Good sign is golf shorts were loose and I reached the end of my belt notches. Need to punch more holes or by different belts. 
I feel so much better after the Peleton. I don’t know why I’m not on it 5 days a week 

Awesome! IMO your an animal with  that activity + energy intake. Have any favorite trainers for Peloton?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Jan 30         202.1                -24.0                                          1650
  • Jan 31         202.3                -23.8                                          2000 - Hard to know for this one, estimate only
  • Feb 1          202.1                -24.0                                          1390
  • Feb 2          201.5                -24.6                                          1580
  • Feb 3          201.9                -24.2                                          1520
  • Feb 4          201.9                -24.2                                          1480
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0

Day 4 of the poopless chronicles.  Thanks for the advice above, I clearly need to add more fiber and water to the diet.  I'd rather do it via food than things like Metamucil or whatever, so I'll look to add that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Berlin said:

Checking in. The scale is not as dramatic yet, but the size 35 and 34 jeans are feeling great. I am still locked in on the behavior changes. The weight is going to follow. 

Weigh in:

Jan 1 - 236.2 

Jan 8 - 229.8

Jan 15 - 229.2

Jan 26 – 226.2

Feb 25 - 225

Great progress, keep it up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife went to Costco last night and bought a food scale.  She wasn't even really thinking about me when she bought it but I feel like a fat kid in a candy store right now!   :excited: 

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

It was a cheat day. Then you had a bad week. So now it's not anymore. That is, if health really is a priority.

Decisions have consequences.

You beat me to the punch.  Why does SB Sunday mean drink and eat to excess?   

@Otiswhy not workout before the SB so you have some extra calories to play with on Sunday?   Why not enjoy some fun food and have a few drinks during the game but keep it under control?    

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

You beat me to the punch.  Why does SB Sunday mean drink and eat to excess?   

@Otiswhy not workout before the SB so you have some extra calories to play with on Sunday?   Why not enjoy some fun food and have a few drinks during the game but keep it under control?    

:goodposting:    This will be the first Super Bowl Sunday in a long time where I’m not going to have a single drink.  Unfortunately I do anticipate eating a lot of junk food.  Definitely planning for a nice long workout in the morning.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, bostonfred said:

what I mean is good question i don't know just never really found the right sweetener i guess but hey to each their own!

Heavy cream is my go-to coffee sweetner most days. I'll cheat on Sat/Sun and toss in some turbinado. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The good, bad, and ugly....

Yesterday - 1470 cal, 162 g protein.  That included mexican dinner out taco salad.  I haven't had a diet drink in 2021 and had one at dinner as a reward.  Missed my workout due to traveling and dealing with a squatter who now has a do-gooder lawyer giving out advice to abuse the system.

Day prior - 1670 cal, 188 g protein.  I was ravenous and craving protein all day.  If I had seen fresh road kill I would have stopped for a snack.  Did get in a lift.

And the prior day prior - 1100 cal, 107 g protein.  Just too dang busy to eat.  Didn't roll home until almost 9 pm after using up my planned food at 3 pm.  Off day from the gym.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chick Fil A hack.  If what I'm reading is correct, that grilled spicy sandwich is 410 calories, of which 200 of is the multi-grain bun.  So 210 calories if you get it lettuce wrap instead of the bun.  To me that's a steal for something so tasty.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, bostonfred said:

228 by 2/28!

I took a cheat day this week and drank wine. We got two feet of snow and my snowblower broke so I had to do it by hand. I get it. 

You know that this is a pattern for you, you do well when you're in structure and you struggle when you hit adversity. @MAC_32 and others have been saying this for years. And the advice has usually been that you need to figure out how to stay on track while you're "out of structure". 

I'm going to give you different advice this time. 

You need to get good at starting your diet back up after cheat days. 

You aren't changing jobs any time soon and you struggle with the stress during days like this.  It doesn't seem like that's going to change and you're not going to change how you handle it and there's no sense beating yourself up over that. 

What you can do is this.

Try to make it days, not weeks. A day instead of days. But if the truth is that you're weak when you're stressed, you need a strategy for after these inevitable blow ups because they keep happening. One day of 4000 calories after a week of 1500 isn't a huge deal. It's like half a pound of fat, if your body even has time to convert it to fat. 4 days of 4000 is like two pounds of fat.. that's going to take you a whole week of super good eating and exercise to catch up to where you were at the start of the binge. A week of 4000 is like throwing away a whole month - its going to take you a couple weeks to umdo the damage. So if you need to binge today, binge today, understand the consequences, and decide tomorrow if it's worth it again. Get better at deciding when it's not worth it. 

That includes today. You're heading home tonight and then tomorrow is Saturday and thats when you usually want Mexican and then Sunday is the superbowl and that's definitely a cheat day so why is today a cheat day?  Can you be good today, and not oveeeat today, and not drink when you're headed home to see the family?  

Moreover, when you go to start things back up, it's going to feel like the first day of a diet again. Are you able to flip the switch back on?  It's hard. My first cheat day after a long time ####s me up. I want to start back up but I know that I got away with it yesterday and could get away with it today. My brain becomes my enemy.  If this is a long term change, a lifestyle change, you need to develop the skill of starting back up again. Pay attention to how you feel and what works and what's hard about getting back on track. Even if it's just today and tomorrow, and you're going to cheat again on Sunday... getting back to your diet today will make you better at this on Monday. 

You seemed to do well with myfitnesspal. That's awesome because it's something you can use for your whole life if you want, and the concept of calorie counting works for weight loss, maintenance, or even when you're off your diet and wondering what the damage was. So today, go in and log everything. Get used to the process again. Report back and tell us what a great job you did. 

Great stuff Gb. And totally agree. My problem isn’t the one bad day or even one bad week. It’s this: if I was doing something that worked for me and made me feel good, why don’t I go back to it after that day or week?  Why on earth do I have to throw it all out the window and wait 6 months for things to be out of control before I decide to try again?  If I instead just stick to this as the norm, then a day or even week here or there won’t substantially impact my long term progress. I’ve gotta have a long game mentality, because the “let’s see how much I can lose in a month” mentality doesn’t work for me and isn’t sustainable. 
 

Sticking with MFP. And back to getting some exercise calories to earn my cheats. Onwards. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

You beat me to the punch.  Why does SB Sunday mean drink and eat to excess?   

@Otiswhy not workout before the SB so you have some extra calories to play with on Sunday?   Why not enjoy some fun food and have a few drinks during the game but keep it under control?    

Great idea. I’ll make time for a good long row, and I’m not getting sloshed on drinks — I’ll limit it to 2 or 3 quality beers.  I’ll likely enjoy some wings and nachos, but I don’t need bucketfuls of either. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Otis said:

Great idea. I’ll make time for a good long row, and I’m not getting sloshed on drinks — I’ll limit it to 2 or 3 quality beers.  I’ll likely enjoy some wings and nachos, but I don’t need bucketfuls of either. 

I'll take the over on a couple glasses of wine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Chick Fil A hack.  If what I'm reading is correct, that grilled spicy sandwich is 410 calories, of which 200 of is the multi-grain bun.  So 210 calories if you get it lettuce wrap instead of the bun.  To me that's a steal for something so tasty.

Yep.  This goes for most non breaded meat sandwiches at any restaurant.  After all they butter up the bread,  it almost becomes another meal.  

The biggest danger zone for me at Chickfila is the condiments.  Those sauces will creep up on you and kill your macros - Chickfila sauce which is their most popular has 140 cals/13g fat/6 sugars.    Buffalo, hot sauce or mustard is the way to go.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Major said:

Yep.  This goes for most non breaded meat sandwiches at any restaurant.  After all they butter up the bread,  it almost becomes another meal.  

The biggest danger zone for me at Chickfila is the condiments.  Those sauces will creep up on you and kill your macros - Chickfila sauce which is their most popular has 140 cals/13g fat/6 sugars.    Buffalo, hot sauce or mustard is the way to go.

Haven't tried the new spicy one yet.  The grilled nuggets are ok.  But hard to beat those tasty real nuggets (and they need to make spicy nuggets...breaded and not).  Thankfully lately fries are not really a craving I have from almost anywhere.  And since everything is to go now...if I get Chick Fil A...I eat the nuggets and then grab a salad or fruit or veggie at home...may sneak a fry or two from my wife or kids to get a taste, but I have never been huge into the waffle fries (I know that is sacrilege to some).

Now cheese curds...yes, that is a craving. I know its bad...but every now and then a reward is getting a butter burger and curds.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me...after a good last summer and great fall...I could feel I was falling in to old habits starting the new year.  If I drank...I was having a few more, and damn it enjoying heavy dark beers...was snacking more.  Making excuses to avoid a run or workout day.

Not that I was ballooned up...but could tell I was trending that way.  Decided to take some action to make sure I was going to stick.  And after talking with a friend, he recommended noom (which I had read about in here and from others before).  I had already been logging food...but it has been different.  It does trigger my more analytical side which I like.  Forces me to take that time to read and think about what I am doing and why.  Where as I was being accountable some to myself doing that, I had gotten lazy on logging my food and weight and all.  This little kick has helped me the last week stay more accountable as well.  And I enjoy the quiet time with my coffee in the morning to read the articles and lessons each morning (rather than logging in here first).  So far so good...and also helped me  look into more than just calories and treating all calories the same.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Otis said:

Great stuff Gb. And totally agree. My problem isn’t the one bad day or even one bad week. It’s this: if I was doing something that worked for me and made me feel good, why don’t I go back to it after that day or week?  Why on earth do I have to throw it all out the window and wait 6 months for things to be out of control before I decide to try again?  If I instead just stick to this as the norm, then a day or even week here or there won’t substantially impact my long term progress. I’ve gotta have a long game mentality, because the “let’s see how much I can lose in a month” mentality doesn’t work for me and isn’t sustainable. 
 

Sticking with MFP. And back to getting some exercise calories to earn my cheats. Onwards. 

Starting back on your diet is a critical skill that you have not yet developed.  It's one of the things people call "willpower" but it's really something you have to learn. I did not have this skill when I took my first ever cheat day, and it derailed me for a week. I tried logging in to do myfitnesspal and I just... didn't stop when I hit my calorie goal. In my head I knew that a cheat day wasn't the end of the world, so why not two?  In the morning I was ready to diet again and conquer the world, but at night I was conniving and wanted to eat more and drink wine. 

One of the things that helped was that I was not going over my daily energy expenditure, just my calorie goals.  So if my goal is to lose two pounds a week, my goal is set for 1000 less than I need, and if i go over my goal by 500 today, I'll still be burning 500 more than I ate.  So one thing that helped was to keep tracking even when I was "cheating" and keep the cheat from getting out of control.  When you turn off myfitnesspal altogether, you're more likely to have the 5000 calorie blowout. 

Bear in mind that I literally turned off myfitnesspal Tuesday night after a day of otherwise good eating and drank wine and ate food I shouldn't have. I'm not saying you can never do that, just that doing it has consequences and it will take time to undo those. I weighed in this morning and still weigh a bit more than I did Tuesday morning.  

And Wednesday when I woke up I had coffee and regretted my decisions and felt a little gross because I definitely did not stop at one glass of wine, and I hadn't drank a drop in over a month so it hits different. And it sucked. I woke up and logged my coffee and my breakfast but I wanted to eat like i did last night because that was so much more fun and dieting sucks and why am I like this and oh yeah this is how I got so fat in the first place. So I logged everything, and stayed under my calorie goal, even though I didn't really feel like it. 

You turned off myfitnesspal for what... 4 days? 5?  Depending how much you over indulged, it might take you a couple weeks to undo that.  That's totally normal. It's part of the process. But imagine if you had contained that to 3 days. Or two. 

Another thing that I think really helped me was taking "cheat meals" fairly often but not taking "cheat days".  Keeping breakfast and lunch small, doing my exercise, and then going all out on a 1000 plus calorie dinner. For you that's been a smallish dinner and a glass or two of wine.  And I think that's what helped you get on board with myfitnesspal and that's awesome. 

Cheat meals are the reason I don't usually need cheat days. Today is Saturday and I'm taking my kid somewhere for his weekly reward.  He's excited to go to a local pizza place... that's known for their giant slices... and awesome barbecue chicken and Buffalo chicken pizza.... and I love this place. This could easily be problematic.  I could easily justify to myself that this is a special occasion and a lot of weeks he picks some bull#### place I don't even like but this is a favorite and I'll cheat.  But I don't have to.

I'm going to make a protein shake with lots of fruit to get some vitamins and fiber without a lot of calories, I'm going to do my yoga and cardio to earn some more room, I have some cooked shrimp and carrots/broccoli/cauliflower that are a ton of protein and fiber, and I'm leaving myself room for three huge slices of pizza without going over. And I'll have three more tomorrow for the superbowl. 

.

Think about what I'm saying here. The reason I'm giving you these examples is that these are the skills to get back on. 

.

Accept that you cheat but contain the cheating to as few days as possible. 

Learn that it takes several days to recover from one day of cheating badly, and that cheating badly today will really piss you off later. 

Try to put constraints on your cheat days by logging your food even if you go over goal. If you eat 1000 calories over your goal of burning 1000 extra, it still feels like cheating but you won't put on any fat. 

Don't cheat when you don't have to.  You cheat when you're under stress. Ok, then don't cheat when you're not under stress. Use cheat meals like i do, plan your day Sunday around the cheating, and don't just think "I'll make some nachos and wings and a beer or two", but check out the calories in advance and decide how much of each you can have based on the food and exercise you have earlier in the day. If that's three beers, 7 wings and a dozen nachos, then you get a beer and count out the nachos on your plate early in the game and then go back for 3 wings later and then go back and get a beer and two more and two more after that and another beer and spread it out a little. Or whatever works for you. 

After a cheat day, get back started on myfitnesspal the next day and log everything. In the morning you're able to do it. It's night time that gets you. So start it up in the morning and give yourself a chance to get back on track later. 

Get used to that ####ty feeling when you're getting back on your diet and want to just keep being a big fat fatty.  You broke your routine and need to reestablish it. 

And yes you will need to get used to eating healthier over time. But you are doing awesome, even with some cheating in there. Because you're developing the skills that will last a long time. Just make sure you actually do it. 

I love that you are finding ways to indulge during the week while staying under calories. Eventually I would like to see that become so normal that you can tweak it, but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are healthy habits so let's focus on one thing right now and that's getting your calorie intake under control and losing the weight you've been trying to lose for the better part of a decade. So right now as long as your doctor isn't telling you that you need to cut the salt or the booze or make other urgent changes, focus on this one thing. 
 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are people really having huge parties for the game?  That's what drives a lot of eating for me I figure. This year I'll likely just do normal stuff.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is encouraging. I probably began <> 220 Jan 2, and have been doing exercise bike 45 min a day since, and have incorporated arm curls and abs as I gain momentum. Hoping to get down closer to 200 by late Spring. I won't have much to contribute in terms of progress reports because I choose not to weigh myself during these routines (getting back to a baseline every 2-3 years). It's motivating for some, but the 'no progress' scale days undermine my ability to maintain a longer term view. I just trust the routine. I don't do much in terms of diet food, measuring quantities, watching calories. What has historically worked for me is lighter lunches, handfuls of Costco almonds as snacks and above all to stop eating dinner when I'm full - sounds simple but not intuitive to throw away a last piece of pizza (or any other left over food). Drinking water only after noon has been my routine for years. Anyway, glad to see others are making change and wanted to say it's encouraging to read.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigJim® said:

This thread is encouraging. I probably began <> 220 Jan 2, and have been doing exercise bike 45 min a day since, and have incorporated arm curls and abs as I gain momentum. Hoping to get down closer to 200 by late Spring. I won't have much to contribute in terms of progress reports because I choose not to weigh myself during these routines (getting back to a baseline every 2-3 years). It's motivating for some, but the 'no progress' scale days undermine my ability to maintain a longer term view. I just trust the routine. I don't do much in terms of diet food, measuring quantities, watching calories. What has historically worked for me is lighter lunches, handfuls of Costco almonds as snacks and above all to stop eating dinner when I'm full - sounds simple but not intuitive to throw away a last piece of pizza (or any other left over food). Drinking water only after noon has been my routine for years. Anyway, glad to see others are making change and wanted to say it's encouraging to read.

I follow basically the same plan. No official diet or counting calories, etc. I just try to be more disciplined and keep track (unofficially, i.e. not an actual record) of good days and bad. Mostly it is about a consistent, well portioned breakfast and lunch, some semi measured snacks from various Costco sources, and then not eating all the food at dinner - basically portion control of what I need rather than what I want. 

I do monitor/ track/ record workout data but that is mostly about planning to run races for time later in the year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, culdeus said:

Are people really having huge parties for the game?  That's what drives a lot of eating for me I figure. This year I'll likely just do normal stuff.  

Huge...no.  2 friends I have been around a bit (gone fishing with...) one of who has had covid.  Easy enough to keep distanced in my house if its too cold to sit out on the patio (and it might be).

Doing some ribs for them and my family.  One of them bringing some homemade mac...the other bringing a dessert.  Ill also roast some cauliflower.

But I know I will enjoy a few beverages...just have to limit myself on the wings and mac and dessert.

Edited by sho nuff
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 6          201.5                -24.6

Well I finally pooped.  Disappointing week last week but still managed to lose a little.  Will be interesting this week with a cheat day coming up tomorrow.  Don't think I'll completely blow it out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Lots of success stories, and new people joining all the time. Congrats to Corporation on breaking 190 and me for being overweight.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...