What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

Right, it's a general message/reminder. It's easy for this to get lost when the hyper focus is simply on consumption quantity. Tracking macros like Fred does is an effective way to combat this, but it requires additional mental energy to do that. Some may not be willing to do that (nothing wrong with that either), so I think a message like this is important to periodically float in everyone's orbit. Especially shortly after a day in which the vast majority likely put their guard down with the super bowl.
And in the interest of completeness, tracking macros won't solve everything, you can eat perfectly clean and under calories and still lose muscle because you're not doing resistance training.  You can do resistance training while eating at a caloric deficit and still lose muscle too because you're not eating enough calories and/or protein to make up for it. 

And for guys like judge smails who do keto it sounds cool to have all that protein but it turns out that you're burning protein and fat all day because you don't have any carbs so you still burn muscle unless you're resistance training. 

Muscle loss happens every day for everyone unless you're doing some kind of resistance training and preferably progressive resistance training with sufficient caloric intake and specifically protein. Muscle gain is very difficult on a calorie deficit for anyone but newbies and a lot of time trying to do both will lead to sucky muscle gains and sucky weight loss. One common recommendation is to alternate between cutting and bulking, but of course there are people who have new better ideas because it's the human body and it didn't come with an instruction manual so we are still figuring it all out. 

Tracking macros like Fred does is an effective way to combat this, but it requires additional mental energy to do that.
Just FYI for people interested in tracking macros, myfitnesspal premium is awesome for this. I don't put in any extra effort to track my protein, and it tells me what is in each food I eat, what I've had so far, what I've got to eat to hit my target, I can adjust my targets if I'm doing keto or weight lifting or whatever, and I can also look at daily or weekly views to see how I'm doing. 

Son is home from school today and we let him pick the lunch spot.  He picked Chic Fil A  :cry: .  I tried to get the healthiest items on the menu and went with the 8 piece grilled nuggets and medium waffle fries (which I gently dipped in their zesty buffalo sauce).  I also ate one chicken tender from home.  For breakfast, just a bowl of corn chex cereal with milk.  From a calorie standpoint, not too bad but from a sodium standpoint, I've only got about 870 mg left.  I should still be able to get in a decent dinner but no snacking today (other than fresh fruit and maybe 2 small vanilla wafers tonight).  

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 6          201.5                -24.6                                           1480
  • Feb 7          201.0                -25.1                                           4000 - Super Bowl Cheat Day
  • Feb 8          203.2                -22.9                                           1390
  • Feb 9          202.3                -23.8                                           1480
  • Feb 10        200.6                -25.5                                           1480
  • Feb 11        201.0                -25.1
As expected, a small increase.  I would expect flat to +/- .3 tomorrow.  Had a somewhat larger lunch than normal (guac on the chipotle bowl).

Son is home from school today and we let him pick the lunch spot.  He picked Chic Fil A  :cry: .  I tried to get the healthiest items on the menu and went with the 8 piece grilled nuggets and medium waffle fries (which I gently dipped in their zesty buffalo sauce).  I also ate one chicken tender from home.  For breakfast, just a bowl of corn chex cereal with milk.  From a calorie standpoint, not too bad but from a sodium standpoint, I've only got about 870 mg left.  I should still be able to get in a decent dinner but no snacking today (other than fresh fruit and maybe 2 small vanilla wafers tonight).  
I love Chickfila, but I hate their grilled nuggets.  The Chargrilled sandwich is quite good and I expected the nuggets to be chopped up versions of that, but they are not.  Their waffle fries are my favorite and I haven't had any since prior to Thanksgiving.  Try the Sweet and Spicy Sriracha as well (still low cal dipping sauce).

I love Chickfila, but I hate their grilled nuggets.  The Chargrilled sandwich is quite good and I expected the nuggets to be chopped up versions of that, but they are not.  Their waffle fries are my favorite and I haven't had any since prior to Thanksgiving.  Try the Sweet and Spicy Sriracha as well (still low cal dipping sauce).
I only got the nuggets because I wanted to avoid bread.  I was actually surprised that I liked them.  But they weren't nearly filling enough so I had to add on.  The waffle fries were very good.

Nice job. 299 by Easter might be in play with 8 weeks to go... how cool would it be to see that 2 on the scale again. Are you doing calories or keto or fasting or ?
Low calorie, low carb... not really keto technically. Eating meal replacement bars, shakes and protein bars 5× a day ranging 160 to 180 calories each. Some optifast I still had and slimfast keto stuff and others I have ftom last go. Lots of water with crystal light type stuff (mostly Aldi brand). I had previously lost 70lbs on keto dr supervised with some meal replacement but I ended up with kidney stones and gout so taking what I learned and making changes to avoid kidney stones and gout. 

I gained most back because I stopped with the stones and gout, left the dr because he was like "do you want to stones or do you want to die" and hadn't got a new plan in place then covid hit and stopped gym. Then fell into old habits and was mentally not good spot. 

I only got the nuggets because I wanted to avoid bread.  I was actually surprised that I liked them.  But they weren't nearly filling enough so I had to add on.  The waffle fries were very good.
So I'm not on a low carb diet or anything but I try to avoid useless bread as well.  Normally for dinner I'm grabbing the 8 fried nuggets and a medium fruit cup, but on occasion I get either the Spicy Chicken sandwich or the Chargrill sandwich and just discard the bread.  So good.

Otis said:
PS I have over 300 calories left and just poured myself an herbal tea. MFP says these are 1 calorie each. So I could have over 300 more of them. 

Fad diet idea brewing....
The 24-hour Catheter diet?  :D

1/31: 328

2/11: 317
The diet started on 2/02 really. 

The 31st was my bday. Had milet mignon and some veggies (not bad) and an the entire bottle of Duckhorn cab for dinner (bad) but I wasn't on the diet yet. The next day I didn't eat all day until dinner, finished off a filet migon my kid didn't eat from the day before and went to town on my bday dessert (kids and wife fell asleep before we could do it on my bday ao had it the following)

So, really, damn impressive for 9 days. 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Son is home from school today and we let him pick the lunch spot.  He picked Chic Fil A  :cry: .  I tried to get the healthiest items on the menu and went with the 8 piece grilled nuggets and medium waffle fries (which I gently dipped in their zesty buffalo sauce) ... From a calorie standpoint, not too bad but from a sodium standpoint, I've only got about 870 mg left.
The Spicy Southwest Salad with about 1/3 of the dressing pack and the pepitas (no tortilla strips) is ~600 calories by itself. Still pushing 1,000 mg of sodium, though. I want to replicate the recipe at home with low-sodium corn and black beans -- I'm sure that's a lot of what blows the sodium budget for that particular Chik-fil-A salad.

I gained most back because I stopped with the stones and gout, left the dr because he was like "do you want to stones or do you want to die" and hadn't got a new plan in place then covid hit and stopped gym. Then fell into old habits and was mentally not good spot. 
Was that doctor a nutritionist, another specialty, or a GP? Seems like better dietary suggestions should have been forthcoming. Did you ever get good actionable advice on what was contributing to your gout?

My wife's GP (who I see now and then) once told me that to lose weight, I had to "stop eating things that taste good". That was the sum of his advice. Super helpful.

Today I learned about ...

Shirataki Noodles: The Zero-Calorie ‘Miracle’ Noodles

So, my wife found that they sell these at WalMart, and I'm sure the local huge Asian grocery (big Vietnamese community here) has carries these noodles forever if we'd ever thought to look.

Anyone here have any experience with shirataki noodles? They're supposed to be calorie-neutral and pretty much just be composed of fiber and water (so, they lack natural starch?). We want to try them with Asian-type noodle dishes.

The article linked seems to be a sober source of info, but they make these noodles sound too good to be true (at least nutritionally).

I love their market salad 

So, my wife found that they sell these at WalMart, and I'm sure the local huge Asian grocery (big Vietnamese community here) has carries these noodles forever if we'd ever thought to look.

Anyone here have any experience with shirataki noodles? They're supposed to be calorie-neutral and pretty much just be composed of fiber and water (so, they lack natural starch?). We want to try them with Asian-type noodle dishes.

The article linked seems to be a sober source of info, but they make these noodles sound too good to be true (at least nutritionally).
I was going to post a link last week.. Found these at Whole Foods.

https://products.wholefoodsmarket.com/brand/miracle-noodle

They aren't cheap, but 0 cals to make a noodle dish isn't bad.  Taste is fine and consistency is doable.

I’m drinking a one. Red. The bad stuff. I’m on glass #2. It was a good day near the end of a good week. 

I shoveled snow and walked today. I still have 711 calories left after a really good eating day. I may have a ....  third..... glass. And I am getting some of that healthy Swedish Nick’s ice cream (140 calories for half a pint). It feels like I’m cheating. But damnit. It’s all good. 

I don’t know about those but I love these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mung+bean+noodles&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I’m drinking a one. Red. The bad stuff. I’m on glass #2. It was a good day near the end of a good week. 

I shoveled snow and walked today. I still have 711 calories left after a really good eating day. I may have a ....  third..... glass. And I am getting some of that healthy Swedish Nick’s ice cream (140 calories for half a pint). It feels like I’m cheating. But damnit. It’s all good. 
This is a decision point.  You're not past the point of no return but this is where it happens. Can you have a second and third glass and not blow up a week of good work with bad food choices?  This isn't a special occasion anymore, you just traveled for work and that was your reason, then the superbowl was your reason, and now it's... just a random Thursday.  Prove to yourself that you can have a couple drinks and not blow the day. Maybe responsible drinking can be part of your plan going forward, but not if you can't keep your #### together. Decide what is important to you. 

This isn't anything special recipe wise but it's the kind of stuff I'm trying to find that has flavor without salt.  I cook the ground turkey like scrambled hamburger meat with whatever spices I use, then simmer it in beef stock and deglaze the pan. It doesn't taste exactly like ground beef but it scratches the itch and tasted great for a simple recipe. 

16 oz ground turkey 

1 tsp olive oil

Onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper to taste

8 oz low sodium beef stock

One can corn

12 oz mashed potatoes premade

Four servings about 330 calories each, 19g protein.  Unfortunately it was close to 500mg sodium because i used canned corn and store bought potatoes tonight, but I didn't need to. Next time I'll probably just steam some yukon golds in the microwave and use a little heavy cream and a little beef stock and spices for flavor.  I won't argue with anyone who uses real onions and garlic or adds other stuff to the recipe but i love the man a can and a plan kind of recipe that I can make quickly or take my time with it if I want.

Unfortunately it was close to 500mg sodium because i used canned corn and store bought potatoes tonight
Our local grocery stores all sell low-sodium cans on basic veggies — corn, peas, green beans, etc. And they’re truly low in Na ... not some “25% lower!” BS.

This is a decision point.  You're not past the point of no return but this is where it happens. Can you have a second and third glass and not blow up a week of good work with bad food choices?  This isn't a special occasion anymore, you just traveled for work and that was your reason, then the superbowl was your reason, and now it's... just a random Thursday.  Prove to yourself that you can have a couple drinks and not blow the day. Maybe responsible drinking can be part of your plan going forward, but not if you can't keep your #### together. Decide what is important to you. 
Had that third glass. Considered a fourth but put on the brakes. Just closed out my diary with 377 calories remaining.
👍 

Another good day.  Proud of rebound post SuperBowl.  Allowing yourself one day then getting back on the plan feels good.  Egg beaters for breakfast, low sodium lentil soup for lunch, handful of mixed nuts for a snack, chicken, veggies and salad for dinner. Healthy Choice Fudge bar for dessert.  No booze.  Never thought I'd be going on 2 months with no red wine.  Had my stress test today so that was some good cardio.  Added a long walk with the dog and 30 minute Peleton class.  Core work, pushups, stretching.  We'll see what the scale says tomorrow.  Will celebrate when I get under 200.  Hopefully this weekend.  The only sobering thought is I know at this weight I still have more to lose.  190 may be the right # for me. 

Yeah...was a nice recovery this week from the Super Bowl binge (more food and drinks that usual of course...didn't get like ripped or stuff myself...just not my normal amounts of alcohol or food).

Definitely found the sweet spot of my intake as well as finding a few new and better snack options.  Things that fit in better with what I am trying to do...plus keeping me from feeling hungry late/before bed.  That is my trouble spot...that 9:30-10pm hunger.   Day time hunger and a lot of times you can sort of take in water and gives you similar full feelings to hold you off til dinner or something.  Or grab my side salad a little earlier maybe.  That 9:30...for me around then is my cut off for liquids or I will be up in the middle of the night needing to pee.  Though, Ive been up about an hour before my alarm most mornings recently needing to go as it is.  Just don't want that creeping into the 3am slot to have to get up each night.  Age is already not on my side for that...don't need taking in a bunch of water late to mess it up even more.

Frozen corn certainly seems the better option if you're watching sodium.  No salt yet still convenient.
Yeah...and I have always preferred the flavor/crispness of frozen veggies.  One of the best things I have is a microwave veggie steamer.  Little water and frozen veggies and I have nice healthy side in minutes.

Only thing I use canned corn for is trout fishing.

• Jan 1 - 214.0
  • Jan 8 - 211.4
  • Jan 15 - 207.2
  • Jan 22 - 207.6
  • Jan 29 - 207.2
  • Feb 5 - 205.6
  • Feb 6 - N/A
  • Feb 7 - 207.4
  • Feb 8 - 208.2
  • Feb 9 - 206.2
  • Feb 10 - 205.6
  • Feb 11 - 205.0
  • Feb 12 - 204.4
Solid week this week. First weigh in under 205 since about August. Can start to dream of getting it back under 200. If I can just have a couple good weekends in a row, I should be able to threaten it!

Yeah...and I have always preferred the flavor/crispness of frozen veggies.  One of the best things I have is a microwave veggie steamer.  Little water and frozen veggies and I have nice healthy side in minutes.

Only thing I use canned corn for is trout fishing.
That ain't trout fishing :wavesflyrodfuriously:

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
2 days until Valentine's, and while I'd really like to hit sub 200 on Vday, those are really just arbitrary goals.  I could starve myself to make sure I get it, but that doesn't do any good in the long run.  I'll just keep the course and do my usual thing.

• Dec 28         235.0
  • Jan 05          235.7
  • Jan 12          232.9
  • Jan 19          227.1
  • Jan 26          225.0
  • Feb 02         222.9
  • Feb 09         224.4
Somewhat expected.  Son had a birthday dinner with ribs, mashed potatoes, cheese cake, etc and of course Super Bowl Sunday.  223.5 today, still shooting for the 220 by 2/20.  Saw the Tom Segura dunk video and have kind of given up on all things plyo (turn 50 in 4 weeks)

1/2tbsp olive oil

1 lb ground turkey, scrambled

2 cups beef broth

One large can diced tomatoes no salt added

All of the basil, oregano, garlic and onion

1 tbsp sugar 

Brown the turkey in the oil. Add lots of spices, except garlic. Add beef broth. Deglaze pan slowly. When broth is mostly absorbed/evaporated, add garlic, then add the tomatoes, sugar and even more spices. Simmer for about 10 min. 

Serves 4. 253 calories 215mg sodium 25.5g protein

Serve over a reasonable serving of high protein pasta of your choice. 

Would it be better with salt? Probably. But the turkey with beef broth gives a meaty flavor and the tomatoes with sugar and basil give it a nice sweetnes, i didnt miss the salt.

Again this is just me tinkering, would love suggestions. 

I’m basically back down to where I was 2 weeks ago. Which is frustrating. And in the past I may have said “to hell with it” and let go. But I’m right back in the fight. Haven’t gone over one day this week. Just closed out the diary for today, will have some herbal tea before bed.  Gotta keep at it.  If I can just push through the next 10lbs I’ll have some real momentum....

Users who are viewing this thread