What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

I'm in.  Bucs playoff run set me back this year.  Not used to the eating and drinking associated with that.  221.2.

I exercise pretty well.  Peloton, running, weights.  Minimum 4 days a week, but drink 4 days a week also and have a bad snacking habit.  Chips/nuts.  My wife's boss has lost 70+ pounds using the Optavia program, so we've ordered some of their foods/snacks.  

I'll be cutting the booze down to two nights a week maximum and getting off the empty calorie snacks.  Adding in another 2-3 days of morning exercise.  Also going to dump bread/buns/pasta for their low carb counterparts in lettuce wraps, cauliflower rice, or "zoodles."  Otherwise, I typically eat pretty well (fish, lean meats, vegetables, salads).

Looking to get under 200 for the first time in probably 10 years.  500 calories a day deficit for one pound a week.  Should be ~21 weeks or so to get there.

I'm in.  Bucs playoff run set me back this year.  Not used to the eating and drinking associated with that.  221.2.

I exercise pretty well.  Peloton, running, weights.  Minimum 4 days a week, but drink 4 days a week also and have a bad snacking habit.  Chips/nuts.  My wife's boss has lost 70+ pounds using the Optavia program, so we've ordered some of their foods/snacks.  

I'll be cutting the booze down to two nights a week maximum and getting off the empty calorie snacks.  Adding in another 2-3 days of morning exercise.  Also going to dump bread/buns/pasta for their low carb counterparts in lettuce wraps, cauliflower rice, or "zoodles."  Otherwise, I typically eat pretty well (fish, lean meats, vegetables, salads).

Looking to get under 200 for the first time in probably 10 years.  500 calories a day deficit for one pound a week.  Should be ~21 weeks or so to get there.
Welcome to the thread. 1lb per week is pretty manageable. Like that you're going for the long haul approach. There is a ton of info in the earlier pages from people doing low carb, tracking calories with myfitnesspal (my preference), tracking macros, intermittent fasting and more. Lots of links to yoga, body combat training, resistance training to offset some of the muscle loss from  age and weight loss, low sodium and high fiber foods and more.  A few of us are in that 220 range and if you look back a page you'll see that three people just cracked that magic 200 number on the scale and iggy is close.

21 weeks would put you around independence day as a goal but if you're like most of us you'll lose a few pounds of water weight pretty quickly early on, and you might be on track for memorial day instead. Nice to have a goal date with a barbecue where you can wear a swim suit and show off your new gutless look. 

Welcome to the thread. 1lb per week is pretty manageable. Like that you're going for the long haul approach. There is a ton of info in the earlier pages from people doing low carb, tracking calories with myfitnesspal (my preference), tracking macros, intermittent fasting and more. Lots of links to yoga, body combat training, resistance training to offset some of the muscle loss from  age and weight loss, low sodium and high fiber foods and more.  A few of us are in that 220 range and if you look back a page you'll see that three people just cracked that magic 200 number on the scale and iggy is close.

21 weeks would put you around independence day as a goal but if you're like most of us you'll lose a few pounds of water weight pretty quickly early on, and you might be on track for memorial day instead. Nice to have a goal date with a barbecue where you can wear a swim suit and show off your new gutless look. 
Thanks for hosting the thread.  Having a community where we can hold each other accountable and track progress while also sharing ideas on what works and what doesn't will certainly be helpful.

I had an injury in early life that caused me to live a sedentary lifestyle for a while in my teen years.  That coupled with prescribed steroids during that time blew me up as a teenager.  I learned to be fit through lifestyle changes in my 20's, so I do know how to lose it and live it, because I've done it before.  That being said I've never done it on the verge of 40, so I'm expecting unforeseen difficulties and plateaus I didn't experience previously. 

For me it's 100% mental though.  Headed home to ride the bike.  :thumbup:

After ice last night and snow today...looking like a few days on the treadmill and at odd times around my wife's work schedule (treadmill in the same room as her home office).  Guess I will be firing up and binging True Detective to get through that boredom.
Do you have access to a kettlebell?  I used to do 30-30 swings (30 seconds on/30 seconds off) for 10 minutes and that used to kick my ###.  Can only manage 5 sets right now after doing weights.

Do you have access to a kettlebell?  I used to do 30-30 swings (30 seconds on/30 seconds off) for 10 minutes and that used to kick my ###.  Can only manage 5 sets right now after doing weights.
Nah...but will also be working in some weight work (have a bench and enough weight in the garage to toss around.

Just keeping up with my walking daily as well.  No matter what weight workouts I do...I still walk or run daily.

Tested out the concrete on the back patio...yeah, walking outside is definitely a no go.  Though, might be a decent core workout trying to stay upright.

If we get the snow we are expecting...I will possibly shovel the drive...plus the bonus of the sledding hill being accross the street and plenty of ups and downs on that with my daughter and the neighborhood kids.

1-25.  201.4

2-1. 199.6

2-8.  198.4

2-15. 198.4.   @#&$*##$

not sure what happened this week.  Took a sneak peak at the scale a few days ago and I was under 198.    I worked out and stayed under calories all but one day last week  but ate a lot of salty food the entire weekend.  Assume that’s why I failed to lose this week.   The plan is to stick to the plan.  

Did about 50 minutes in the garage.  Bench Press, incline bench, barbell curls, hammer curls with adjustable dumbells, crunches, body weight squats.

And in between sets would do a few of the exercises from T25 that I knew...to keep the HR up and get the legs involved in this one.  As soon as wife is off of a call and down here for lunch...Ill go on the treadmill for 45 min to an hour to walk. (still letting the achilles rest from running for another week...starting to feel good and want to keep it that way).

Will be working those workouts in more...3 days a week with walking or running once Im healed up a bit.  2 days upper body weight stuff...1 day legs/core.  

I had been doing it a day or 2 a week here and there...but had not committed to it as well weekly for the last couple of months.

Last edited by a moderator:
sho nuff said:
Nah...but will also be working in some weight work (have a bench and enough weight in the garage to toss around.

Just keeping up with my walking daily as well.  No matter what weight workouts I do...I still walk or run daily.

Tested out the concrete on the back patio...yeah, walking outside is definitely a no go.  Though, might be a decent core workout trying to stay upright.

If we get the snow we are expecting...I will possibly shovel the drive...plus the bonus of the sledding hill being accross the street and plenty of ups and downs on that with my daughter and the neighborhood kids.
Are your side streets treated and low traffic? Does you no good while it's happening, but if those boxes are checked then consider seeing if they're runnable after it's over. The surface will be vastly different than an untreated patio.

147g protein 

43g fiber

2143mg sodium 

126 calories left over

32 min yoga, 30 min rowing, 30 min walking, daily 100 pushups 

Out of fresh meat and didn't want to go to the store today so I made eggs for breakfast, oatmeak for lunch, protein shake for snack and frozen scallops with broccoli for dinner.  Nice to take a day off from running and lifting and still get some good exercise.

Thinking back to my peak weight, I was exercising so much less and eating so much worse. It’s amazing how differently I see things now. It's not like I didn't know better, I just didn't realize how bad I was doing. Never again. 

Are your side streets treated and low traffic? Does you no good while it's happening, but if those boxes are checked then consider seeing if they're runnable after it's over. The surface will be vastly different than an untreated patio.
May give the sidewalks a go tomorrow(to walk).  Still a week away from running again letting the achilles heal.  Nothing treated really or plowed any time soon.  

Met with cardiologist post stress test. She said i kicked ### and was in great shape. Heart functioning perfectly. Doctors like when you are dropping weight, exercising, eating well and cutting back almost entirely on added salt and booze. 

Been living off a smoked turkey I cooked on Saturday. It was sensational. That plus some salad and veggies has me good with food for about 3 days. Tortilla soup (with turkey) tomorrow. Breakfasts are egg beaters. Feeling good

Interesting calorie day. Consumed six protein bars and two Belvita Breakfast Biscuit packages (they're basically cinnamon cookies, 230 for four of them in a package).

Skipped the leftover pizza from last night. Have no idea why I'm plowing protein and paleo bars like I am, but managed about 1700 calories. Didn't eat anything else besides two big handfuls of mixed nuts probably putting me up around 2000 calories for the day

Totally sedentary today. Will shoot the lock off of that fat wallet soon. But for now, weird day with food.

Not sure when I'll start taking this really seriously. Hopefully before I hit 240 lbs. (My playing weight and goal is 190.)

Thing I have noticed...and a lot of this goes back to the weight I lost in the fall, but my continuing eating better...my BP has been much better than even last summer.  Take it every morning as I wake.  Going to guess my Doc will be happy with that at my physical in about a month.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 13        199.5                -26.6                                          1580
  • Feb 14        199.9                -26.2                                          1480
  • Feb 15        199.5                -26.6                                          1510
  • Feb 16        199.2                -26.9                                          
Well while everyone else in the Deep South was running out to buy milk and bread because of this "blizzard", I went to Chipotle and Chickfila last night to get 2 days worth of my Chickpotle diet :)

Not sure if this was posted or not: 

NATURE: "Ketogenic diets inhibit mitochondrial biogenesis and induce cardiac fibrosis"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41392-020-00411-4

Thanks for sharing.

After 16 weeks, besides a decrease in body weight, fat mass, and blood pressure in KD-fed rats......
:pickle:

....we observed increased heart rates and impaired cardiac function
:sadbanana:

Will be interesting to see what the keto crew says about this on twitter and upcoming podcasts.

Not sure if this was posted or not: 

NATURE: "Ketogenic diets inhibit mitochondrial biogenesis and induce cardiac fibrosis"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41392-020-00411-4
Yeah this is what scares me about keto, every now and again I see an article like this where it might damage your heart but it's not fully understood yet. On a plus note, there's some evidence that it can be helpful for type 2 diabetes sufferers and possibly for the brain because your brain usually runs on carbs but on keto uses ketones. Some people with epilepsy or other concerns have seen improvements. On a minus note, the diet might damage your heart and includes a lot of foods that are loaded with cholesterol and sodium and low on nutrients. So... talk to your doctor.

Thanks for sharing.

:pickle:

:sadbanana:

Will be interesting to see what the keto crew says about this on twitter and upcoming podcasts.
Any particular health podcast you listen to? I have search for a good one but they are either way to research paper author nerd or super bro types. I can understand the research paper stuff but its a little more work than I would like to spend relaxing.

Any particular health podcast you listen to? I have search for a good one but they are either way to research paper author nerd or super bro types. I can understand the research paper stuff but its a little more work than I would like to spend relaxing.
I like Wild Health, although it can skew toward the research nerd end of the spectrum at times (like the latest one on sports supplements).   Sounds like you're like me in that I can grasp most of the concepts even if I can't remember what mTor does.

I've been listening to Ben Greenfield for years, but he continues to move further and further toward the biohacking, psilocybin, spiritual stuff, while pimping his Kion products.  But if he's got a good guest or a topic I'm interested in I'll listen.

Endurance Planet is much more focused on the training side of things but within the context of health, so aside from their regular Ask the Coaches show they regularly have guests discussing broader health topics.

Otherwise I'll just search for a topic I'm interested in, or after hearing a guest on one of these shows go look for other podcasts they've done.  So lately I've listened to a few featuring Robb Wolf, Dom D'Agostino, Paul Saladino, etc as I've been looking for keto topics.  But so many of those types of guys treat keto or paleo or whatever they're doing as a religion or as an opportunity to sell something, so you have to wade through some of that.

How about you and others?

I didn't think I'd get back to running outside until this weekend given the weather, but it is 10 degrees and the sun peeked out so I threw on my running gear and did a 5k. It was so invigorating! Well, for the first half mile or so and then I realized I started to fast and plodded through the rest. But it felt so good to be outside in the sun again, and being outside in 10 degrees felt amazing considering how cold it's been. 

I didn't think I'd get back to running outside until this weekend given the weather, but it is 10 degrees and the sun peeked out so I threw on my running gear and did a 5k. It was so invigorating! Well, for the first half mile or so and then I realized I started to fast and plodded through the rest. But it felt so good to be outside in the sun again, and being outside in 10 degrees felt amazing considering how cold it's been. 
Running when it's 10 degrees and sunny (assuming no wind) really isn't that bad. I much...MUCH prefer that to cloudy, mid 20's, and windy or 40 and rain.

Ended up with 4 miles on the treadmill and two out in the colder weather over the snow and ice.  Definitely enjoyed the 2 miles better than the 4.

157g protein

42g fiber

1626mg sodium 

57 calories left over

Lifted and did my 100 pushups, did two fast miles but didn't have enough in the tank to finish a fast 5k and walked the rest.  Back to the MAF runs.

Lent starts today, I'm giving up booze and chips like I'd planned except I've been giving them up since late December with a brief cheat Ja

1-25.  201.4

2-1. 199.6

2-8.  198.4

2-15. 198.4.   @#&$*##$

not sure what happened this week.  Took a sneak peak at the scale a few days ago and I was under 198.    I worked out and stayed under calories all but one day last week  but ate a lot of salty food the entire weekend.  Assume that’s why I failed to lose this week.   The plan is to stick to the plan.  
This is why I weigh everyday.  If you only with once a week and catch a bad day, it psychologically sucks.

157g protein

42g fiber

1626mg sodium 

57 calories left over

Lifted and did my 100 pushups, did two fast miles but didn't have enough in the tank to finish a fast 5k and walked the rest.  Back to the MAF runs.

Lent starts today, I'm giving up booze and chips like I'd planned except I've been giving them up since late December with a brief cheat Ja
Booze and chips.  Nice.

I should ideally give up donuts.....

Made my first effort the past two days to eat healthier and get more protein.  Long way to go.  Will post an average “daily intake” on Sunday night.

What time of day are you guys weighing in?  First thing in the morning, post AM BM, post workout, afternoon, end of day before bed?  Obviously, consistency is key.  Is there any research as to the best time of day to tip the scale for your most accurate weight?

What time of day are you guys weighing in?  First thing in the morning, post AM BM, post workout, afternoon, end of day before bed?  Obviously, consistency is key.  Is there any research as to the best time of day to tip the scale for your most accurate weight?
I believe there was discussion of this earlier in this thread and it doesn't really matter.  But people tend to be consistent in when they weigh themselves every day.  So if you decide to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, stick with that time every day.  

bostonfred said:
I'm giving up eating after dinner - that's prime junk food consumption time and it'll force me to bed earlier, so I also get more sleep. If I end up drinking any nights I'll give myself a pass those nights (gotta curb the hangover), but looking at our calendar I suspect any intake the next 40 days will be day drinking.

First thing in the morning.  Take a piss, step on the scale.

And yes...every weight in the same (which is key).   And I have come around on every day...I can see the psychology of once a week and each day.  But getting that good map of how things go each day is working for me lately.  If you do daily...just understand that so many things can affect it...being up a pound over the previous day does not mean you ate enough to gain a pound of weight that day.  Stuff fluctuates.  

That way what I ate or drank during the day is not affecting anything..its just what I weigh.

I'm giving up eating after dinner - that's prime junk food consumption time and it'll force me to bed earlier, so I also get more sleep. If I end up drinking any nights I'll give myself a pass those nights (gotta curb the hangover), but looking at our calendar I suspect any intake the next 40 days will be day drinking.
Committing to day drinking is the best lenten sacrifice I've heard 

Committing to day drinking is the best lenten sacrifice I've heard 
Friend of ours is an irish folk singer. He was playing a show and a regular that was more than half in the bag told him he gave up whiskey for lent. With a raised eyebrow he asked him if he was sure. And he dead panned, yeah - raised his glass in the air and shouted I'm drinking vodka for jesus!

So our buddy only naturally then wrote a song called vodka for jesus.

SFBayDuck said:
I like Wild Health, although it can skew toward the research nerd end of the spectrum at times (like the latest one on sports supplements).   Sounds like you're like me in that I can grasp most of the concepts even if I can't remember what mTor does.

I've been listening to Ben Greenfield for years, but he continues to move further and further toward the biohacking, psilocybin, spiritual stuff, while pimping his Kion products.  But if he's got a good guest or a topic I'm interested in I'll listen.

Endurance Planet is much more focused on the training side of things but within the context of health, so aside from their regular Ask the Coaches show they regularly have guests discussing broader health topics.

Otherwise I'll just search for a topic I'm interested in, or after hearing a guest on one of these shows go look for other podcasts they've done.  So lately I've listened to a few featuring Robb Wolf, Dom D'Agostino, Paul Saladino, etc as I've been looking for keto topics.  But so many of those types of guys treat keto or paleo or whatever they're doing as a religion or as an opportunity to sell something, so you have to wade through some of that.

How about you and others?
I actually have only listened to mostly one podcast years ago on health that stemmed from my wife getting diagnosed with a gluten allergy. That's what the episode that brought me in on was about, but they branched into many health aspects as they were a full service nutrionist. Sigma something... was the name.

Besides that its been blog posts and bits of books. I would love to devote more time to learning about health as I truly love researching topics(it's weird I know), but right now I'm training in my off time for professional exams, so all that fun stuff gets pushed.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 13        199.5                -26.6                                          1580
  • Feb 14        199.9                -26.2                                          1480
  • Feb 15        199.5                -26.6                                          1510
  • Feb 16        199.2                -26.9                                          1540
  • Feb 17        199.7                -26.4                                          1540

As lent starts...should definitely help my journey here.

First off...actually being good today on Ash Wednesday and "fasting".  Limiting myself only to my meals and water.  No snacking.  Will do similar most fridays (I say most as there will be days where I work out or something...or the timing is off for when I can workout and work things around food where I will need some fruit or almonds or something to get me to or through a workout or to tide me over til a meal).

But also because I will once again affirm my commitment giving up chips and candy...as well as yummy dark beer or craft beers.  IF I allow myself a beer on my birthday or during march madness, it will be a couple light beers.  Similarly...all alcohol will be limited to 2 drinks max and no more than twice a week. And even that no more than twice a week means there will be plenty of weeks I don't have anything or just one day I sip something.

First off...actually being good today on Ash Wednesday and "fasting".  Limiting myself only to my meals and water.  No snacking.  Will do similar most fridays (I say most as there will be days where I work out or something...or the timing is off for when I can workout and work things around food where I will need some fruit or almonds or something to get me to or through a workout or to tide me over til a meal).

But also because I will once again affirm my commitment giving up chips and candy...as well as yummy dark beer or craft beers.  IF I allow myself a beer on my birthday or during march madness, it will be a couple light beers.  Similarly...all alcohol will be limited to 2 drinks max and no more than twice a week. And even that no more than twice a week means there will be plenty of weeks I don't have anything or just one day I sip something.
I’m doing the no candy thing too. I’m doing it to help a friend quit smoking. I’m already jonesing for chocolate. I’m eating an apple instead. I better dump weight and she better not smoke. 

Can you double down for me?

132g protein

26g fiber

2138mg sodium (under 2300)

A little over 100 calories to spare 

Push ups and a MAF 5k. Also got my pull up bar and resistance band so I can do assisted pull ups... I set it to a resistance where I can do three crappy ones and will work on getting that number up but just walking by it every day I'm hoping I can make this something I do a few sets a day without making it a formal lifting thing. I'm actually excited about this.

132g protein

26g fiber

2138mg sodium (under 2300)

A little over 100 calories to spare 

Push ups and a MAF 5k. Also got my pull up bar and resistance band so I can do assisted pull ups... I set it to a resistance where I can do three crappy ones and will work on getting that number up but just walking by it every day I'm hoping I can make this something I do a few sets a day without making it a formal lifting thing. I'm actually excited about this.
Assisted pull ups are gold when trying to build strength with proper form.  Soon enough you'll be doing 20 unassisted.   Change up the grip and go behind the neck for increased difficulty.  

Mission carb balance fajita sized tortillas (2)

One chicken breast (8 oz)

100 calorie pack guacamole

1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese 

One package s. Bird's eye steamable frozen cauliflower rice

Lime juice, cilantro, black pepper and garlic

Makes two burritos... 731 calories... 78g protein... 1721 mg sodium (too much)... 39g fiber

Fresh cauliflower rrce would cut out about 5-600 mg sodium and fresh avocado would cut another 100mg vs store bought guacamole but the carb balance tortillas at 15g fiber each and only 70 calories are a cheat code even with the 300mg sodium per tortilla.  I ate one at a time to split the protein out and they were filling and tasted pretty good for what they did on macros. Might add black beans and salsa and use the larger tortillas and just have one big burrito instead of two mediums or just have one of these next time but man that was good. 

Users who are viewing this thread