What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (3 Viewers)

I made the mistake of buying a large bag of M&Ms recently.  It was gone in 3 days.   Even after months without junk food like that in the house, I buy one bag and am right back in my old mode of operating.

On the plus side, I tracked all the calories, but on the minus side it didn’t stop me from eating lots and lots of pure garbage.

The key?  I just can’t buy that crap and bring it into my house.

Anyway, despite all that I’ve been doing more strength training, eating more protein, trying to add muscle and following a plan.  My weight has stayed +/- 1 lb in the past few weeks.  

edit to add:  I really didn’t want to come in here and be honest about the M&Ms, but I just have to be straight with this crew.   It really pisses me off that I lack willpower when it comes to sugar.  But it feels better, oddly, to be honest with this group.
Im with you with some things.  We made chocolate chip cookies for my birthday, my initial plan was to have the one in the cast iron skillet that night and let the kids eat the rest of the actual cookies.  I have been good by limiting myself (one a day or half one day half the next) with them, but they still tempt me and I have had a few.  Ive been good though as I bought the kids some jelly beans (family favorite have been all the flavored ones that come out once Easter candy comes out).  I have managed to stay away from them thus far.  But yes, I have to avoid even buying other stuff.  Publix had M&Ms buy one get one the other day and I was close to grabbing a few bags.  

I made the mistake of buying a large bag of M&Ms recently.  It was gone in 3 days.   Even after months without junk food like that in the house, I buy one bag and am right back in my old mode of operating.

On the plus side, I tracked all the calories, but on the minus side it didn’t stop me from eating lots and lots of pure garbage.

Anyway, despite all that I’ve been doing more strength training, eating more protein, trying to add muscle and following a plan.  My weight has stayed +/- 1 lb in the past few weeks.  

edit to add:  I really didn’t want to come in here and be honest about the M&Ms, but I just have to be straight with this crew.   It really pisses me off that I lack willpower when it comes to sugar.  But it feels better, oddly, to be honest with this group.
Two days longer than I can keep them around.  I can't buy them either.

Original goal was 210 by end of February and 200 by Easter. Recalibrating goals since I did not take care of myself the last two weeks. Roughly 215 now, but will officially weigh-in on Monday. I'm going to do a one month plan: March 1 - March 31. Goal will be 205 by end of March. 

FBG26 said:
Starting my March period.

March 2: 210.6.

That's artificially low since I was puking my guts out last night. Tomorrow will be a better indicator for where I'm actually at since I'll have some food in my system, but this is what we're going with for recording purposes. 
March 3: 211.2

So maybe my original goal of 200 by Easter isn't out of the question. But first things first: I'm sticking with my recalibrated goal of 205 by end of March. If things are looking great, my stretch goal is 200 by Easter. 

Two days longer than I can keep them around.  I can't buy them either.
I used to be the same way.  Now, I allow myself some chocolate(1/3 100 gram bar) and a few cookies(3 double stuf oreos for example) everyday and it's become part of my lifestyle, rather than a treat that needs to be instantly destroyed.  I have three different types of cookies, and three different types of chocolate bars in the house and don't crave them at all.  They have their place in my routine, simple.

Never thought it would have been possible after my previous life of gorging, but all habits can be broken. 

So maybe my original goal of 200 by Easter isn't out of the question. But first things first: I'm sticking with my recalibrated goal of 205 by end of March. If things are looking great, my stretch goal is 200 by Easter. 
My goal is 8.6 more pounds by Easter which is exactly 2lbs per week. Not sure how tall you are but at 5'10", 208.7 lbs would drop me from obese to overweight bmi so that's a big motivator for me. 

My goal is 8.6 more pounds by Easter which is exactly 2lbs per week. Not sure how tall you are but at 5'10", 208.7 lbs would drop me from obese to overweight bmi so that's a big motivator for me. 
That's a great goal and huge motivator. I need to get to 196 to be merely overweight (5'8). Lots of mini goals between here and there, but once I get just a little closer that'll be the driving factor. Right now the huge motivator is just to see 209.X.

One week at a time, we can do this!

This a great post and will certainly be a staple in any plan to live a healthy lifestyle. 

-I was on my way to my Mon Night Men group it's called Ministry 2 Men, couldn't make that up. But I usually do not partake in all the pre-meet eating that goes on, the fellow I go with does not eat like the rest of the folks either and is a diabetic. Once in a while I bring some treats to share and brought some sweets, for whatever reason they weren't eaten and so i took them with me when I left, realizing once I bring them in the house that my wife and I will eat them whether we meant to or not in the coming days...I found some needy folks on the way home and gave them away. 

You bring food in the house, especially snacks and sweets, you stand very little chance of keeping weight off or even losing it in the first place. 

And I share a lot of what you are saying about having to be honest in this group. One of the reasons I don't constantly post my weight is that it's not fluctuating that much right now and I don't want others to think I'm bragging and I think being humble is a major component for me/MoP being able to relatively maintain, I don't give myself too much credit and I've always got 10-15 lbs that could come off, it's true. 

217.3!

4 weeks and 4 days to lose 8.6 lbs and get to 208.7 by Easter. That's exactly 2lb per week pace. Will be super close.
:thumbup:

I have 5-6 weeks to trim down to 175 where I would like to level out at, I roll between 183-187 depending on the day of the week, Monday is always a tough weigh in after the weekend. I started around 230-235 last Mar/Apr but my journey is different, mine was born out of survival and not being able to play Tennis for quite a while until they re-opened forcing me to do other things and that snowballed into a lot of daily exercise just to get out of the house and relieve stress from the pandemic and also Television 

You're gonna do it Fred, you're one of the team captains around here and you do a lot of good for a lot of folks, anytime I am down i find some of your posts, you also have another thread with lots of comedy snippets in it. 

-I think it helps to have some "go to" meals that you know will not hurt you but satisfy those true hunger pangs. Sometimes salad just doesn't cut it and some nights I just don't want fish. I like a grilled chicken sandwich with hot wing sauce(Frank's-0 Calories) and a baked potato with real butter mashed in, that meal gets me thru many days.

I feel your pain.   Keep in mind this was a very large bag.   I think it had something like 2,600 calories worth of M&Ms in it.  Jesus.   
There are 1280 calories in a quart of Og Half n Half I buy and sometimes I can go thru one of these in about 3-4 days, wife helps a little but she sometimes takes her coffee plain. That's like 400 calories a day and we all know I drink so let's add in another 3-5 hundred from alcohol, it's a wonder I'm not heavier and I have slowly been feeling like I might not be able to just exercise all this off forever and ever so i am trying to drink a little less coffee and also drinking a few cups, black. 

M&Ms, Half n Half, what's the difference really? 

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY - GOAL MADE! SUB 200!
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Feb 5          202.1                -24.0                   -0.9                 Avg daily calories during period: 1594
  • Feb 12        200.6                -25.5                   -1.5                 Avg daily calories during period: 1851
  • Feb 19        199.5                -26.6                   -1.1                 Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Feb 26        197.9                -28.2                   -1.6                 Avg daily calories during period: 1535
  • Feb 27        197.5                -28.6                                          2600
  • Feb 28        198.6                -27.5                                          1210
  • Mar 1          198.1                -28.0                                          1355
  • Mar 2          197.3                -28.8                                          1540
  • Mar 3          196.8                -29.3
Another new low but I'd better a dollar I gain tomorrow.  The variations in my calories are usually how I judge my chipotle bowl.  A light bowl is the calories they claim on their site (720), a medium bowl I add another 150 on, and a heavy bowl I add 250 on. Today's lunch was absolutely packed.  Also, the poop monster has gone back into hiding.

I lost 30 pounds last year and I gained all 40 of it back.

I was doing nutrisystem, and it worked for me.  I know its not really the ideal way to do it, but it was a time saver and required very little thought.  I have a lot of the food left, so right now, I am just trying to get through that and see where I am at when all that is gone.

Lots of vegetables.  Broccoli, cucumber, carrots, cauliflower are the go-to items.  I am lucky to like veggies.  I'll also do up some asparagus or brussel sprouts.

I am not planning on buying more of the nutrisystem.  My biggest problem is long term.  I have no issues losing the weight initially.  I need to figure out a way to do better.  
I think if you are going to be in a program, Weight Watchers seems like the one where you learn the most and can survive away from the group and on your own. I use a few tricks I picked up from them like ZERO POINT meals such as chix breast and a couple veggies like green beans. There's no real food to purchase and you will meet at least 1 person and probably many more in much worse shape than you. 

One step at a time...you don't have to be a part of any of these programs, you won't be surprised but most of the commercial diet world is not that great for a lot of folks. 

Long term: That's code for maintenance and believe me it's been my downfall forever and ever, this time around I feel I learned lifelong changes or lifestyle that I can always go back to basics when I feel lost. 

When you go to the grocery store, try to just buy a day or two worth of food, odds are high you load up with all healthy food for the week, it all sounds good on Monday until Wed rolls around and you feel forced to eat whatever you bought much like that Nutri system food, I go to a grocery store at least every other day, I couldn't know what I want 3 days out, my mood and tastes change so this time around I've allowed complete flexibility and not be so rigid with myself. 

I have just a couple of big No No's and they mostly are desserts especially anything with palm oil in it. My wife will make me peanut butter cookies when i want some fresh sweets and it takes like half a jar for of her peanut butter cookies which are almost all peanut butter, they rock. 

You want french fries? No problem, cut a real potato up and use fresh olive oil to fry em up in the pan, I don't sit around counting all these calories. I did use MFP App in the beginning and I will go back to it when I feel I need it or to maybe help others and show them how it works but at this point I know what i can eat and what I really shouldn't be eating. It's 8:45 in the evening here, I probably would enjoy something sweet or snacky but I am done eating tonight. I had a late lunch that was my big meal and I had a berry smoothie around 7:00 my wife made me and some more fruit she had cut up, it does curtail the sweet tooth. 

I wish you the very best, you can do it. Small steps...personally I had to go meal by meal meaning I attacked breakfast and got a hold on that, then it was lunch and quite frankly dinner is way overrated to begin with and since I don't like it all that much then it works well with intermittent fasting but let's save that topic for later. 

Cheers Man and get excited and motivated to make some lifestyle changes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
127g protein 

27g fiber

2660mg sodium goal is 2300mg... over but not too bad

Ran a MAF 5k and lifted.  Ate a couple slices of pepperoni pizza and still did pretty well on my calories and macros for the day.  I'm improving on my lifts, doing everything super slow and in control with a weight I had been struggling with a little, so I'm definitely still making some newb gains while losing weight.  I can comfortably do 3 sets of 15 reps at this weight but slowing it down like that I'm struggling with the last reps so I think I'll wait before moving up.

One month to Easter.  Looking forward to taking a break.  I have a bottle of Bailey's so I can have some Irish coffee while I set up the Easter egg hunt, I'm starting to day dream about day drinking lol

Welcome to it. I started at 284.6 and there are a few others here who were higher than that. We're all working on the same thing and it's been great to have the accountability buddies in here keeping an eye on each other.  

Is your plan just to eat better?  There's a few different options people are using these days, I use myfitnesspal which is a free app for calorie tracking and I would be happy to help you with it if you want. Some people here use noom, which is a paid app but comes with some additional features that are supposed to help you develop the long term habits. Some people have done keto, others are doing intermittent fasting, and others are just cutting out the booze and junk and eating better. 

Whatever your plan is just posting in here helps me, and hopefully it does the same for you. 
@Caesar FYI in case you haven't heard, the guy above isn't a doctor and you should consult your doctor before eating, exercising, and possibly crapping.

@Caesar FYI in case you haven't heard, the guy above isn't a doctor and you should consult your doctor before eating, exercising, and possibly crapping.
Sadly, I know exactly what I need to do, I just choose not to do it.  Even at 260+ at age 46, when I went to my doctor a couple months ago, all my numbers were good with one exception that was borderline and that was my HDL being a little low.

I'm not saying that's the end-all, though, because I really hate feeling like crap all the time.  Even just a few days in, I am already starting to feel a little better.  

But that is the double-edged for me.  Once I really start to feel better, I start to get lax.  You know what happens from there.  

I think Nutrisystem does teach how to eat better if you do it right.  The food isn't really "diet", its just portion control the same as weight watchers.  Once you start to substitute better foods and control the portions instead of eating their prepared meals, it should help long term.  Again, I am a weak minded #####, and seeing ice cream and chips make me weak.  Its hard to get everything out of the house when you have 4 kids.  

There is no magic pill for will power.  Its all about moderation once I get to the maintenance stage.  I had a bad day at work Tuesday, and all I wanted was to eat to feel better.  I don't know how to get past that.

There is no magic pill for will power.  Its all about moderation once I get to the maintenance stage.  I had a bad day at work Tuesday, and all I wanted was to eat to feel better.  I don't know how to get past that.
There sort of is actually. Behaviorists train kids, dogs, grown ups all the time.. Build in positive feedback into your process as often as possible and people work to get that feedback.

Every time I wake up I weigh myself. Sometimes a few times a day. I totally check myself out in the mirror and suck in my gut. Don't judge me.

Every time I eat something I log it in myfitnesspal and i look at how many calories I have left. I love seeing that I have 950 calories left for dinner. I can eat like a king!

I also track fiber and protein in myfitnesspal. When I have a skyr and some raspberries in the morning and see that I'm already at 15g protein and 10g fiber I feel like I'm on track.

Every time I exercise I add it to myfitnesspal and see that calories left goes up. I eat back my calories from cardio, because it rewards me for doing cardio. I love seeing that number go up so much that I'll power through an hour on the treadmill. People who don't eat back their cardio calories don't get that positive feedback.

I only watch tv on the treadmill . Right now I'm starting season 2 of better call Saul and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I can't wait to run later so I can watch the next one. I have walked 3 hours to watch a full football game before. I do make some exceptions for stuff like that especially if people are over but I make myself work for it first.

I love clicking complete diary at the end of the day and seeing "if every day was like this then in 5 weeks you'd weigh..." it's an important ritual for me even if I need more than 5 weeks to hit my long term goals. When I get to 5 weeks or less from my short term goals, it's even better.

I also report in with my accountability buddies here that I finished under calories. If I miss i feel like or I have to report it. So I don't miss.

I make short term goals. Right now I'm on a three month sprint from Christmas to Easter. Losing around 30 lbs. I'll add some back easter morning because I have given up booze for this and I'm going to be goofed up on Irish coffee when I set up the easter egg hunt. Dad why are there eggs on the roof?

I make long term plans. I'm down close to 70 of the 100 plus I needed to lose, starting at 284.6 and trying to get to 208.7 by easter which is an overweight BMI instead of obese. Then I'll focus on maintenance for a while, allow myself to put a couple pounds back on while I keep my cardio and lifting going but eat some foods I miss, and then get back to it with a goals of getting to Onederland and maybe even 184.6 for an even 100 lbs down. If I'm going to day dream about weight loss, it's probably thinking through whether I want to do that in one big push or a couple smaller ones. I indulge in the fantasy of being my ideal weight for a little bit but then get back to what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm constantly looking for these positive moments i can add into my process because they keep me motivated. 

I don't bring in food that i dont plan to eat.  I buy enough for the meals between now and my next grocery trip and I eat some every day so it doesn't go bad. Today I'm eating the last of my raspberries and skyr. Tomorrow I'll buy more. I'll also buy cooked shrimp that needs to be eaten within the first day or two after I shop. I love shrimp so that's a good thing. But knowing that's my dinner tonight makes it easier to avoid picking at other stuff. 

If there's food in the house that's not mine, I make sure the owner knows it's theirs. I'm not going to eat my kid's last slice of pizza. I don't want my wife getting mad that I ate her ice cream.

If it's late and I feel like snacking I brush my teeth.  It's magic. I don't want cookies or ice cream after brushing. 

I keep adding positive habits one at a time until I feel like I've mastered them and add another.  Running. Push ups. Tracking fiber.  Tracking protein. Yoga. Buying a bar and resistance band for assisted pull ups. Tracking sodium. Lifting weights. Seeing the results in my weight, in the mirror and on the blood pressure monitor have been hugely motivating for me. 

You can do some of the same things. I started at the same age and even fatter than you.  Come back tonight and tell us about your successful day then do it again tomorrow. Let's get a streak going. 

Sadly, I know exactly what I need to do, I just choose not to do it.  Even at 260+ at age 46, when I went to my doctor a couple months ago, all my numbers were good with one exception that was borderline and that was my HDL being a little low.

I'm not saying that's the end-all, though, because I really hate feeling like crap all the time.  Even just a few days in, I am already starting to feel a little better.  

But that is the double-edged for me.  Once I really start to feel better, I start to get lax.  You know what happens from there.  

I think Nutrisystem does teach how to eat better if you do it right.  The food isn't really "diet", its just portion control the same as weight watchers.  Once you start to substitute better foods and control the portions instead of eating their prepared meals, it should help long term.  Again, I am a weak minded #####, and seeing ice cream and chips make me weak.  Its hard to get everything out of the house when you have 4 kids.  

haven't caught up on all of the posts in here, but for me i added some exercise and have been doing Intermittent fasting. Down around 25 pounds since the 3rd week of December, and it really isn't too limiting. Sure, i shed a tear when i make my daughter lunch with some drool out the side of my mouth knowing i have another 2 hours of my fast left, but I have not felt restricted at all with what i actually eat. portion control has come in naturally since i have been eating a lot less i think the actual organ has gotten smaller as well. 

If it's late and I feel like snacking I brush my teeth.  It's magic. I don't want cookies or ice cream after brushing. 
i hear ya, started the same thing as well now that i brush my teeth with my 3 year old every night. Nights are much harder than mornings since i can jump into work or whatever, but that certainly has helped a bit brushing my teeth around 8.

it's funny how some little things like that can make a significant difference. 

haven't caught up on all of the posts in here, but for me i added some exercise and have been doing Intermittent fasting. Down around 25 pounds since the 3rd week of December, and it really isn't too limiting. Sure, i shed a tear when i make my daughter lunch with some drool out the side of my mouth knowing i have another 2 hours of my fast left, but I have not felt restricted at all with what i actually eat. portion control has come in naturally since i have been eating a lot less i think the actual organ has gotten smaller as well. 
I don’t think that last sentence is as motivating as you might have intended 

lol, probably. i know restricting some eating is tougher in the beginning, but being 2.5 months into it, I think the psychological aspect of eating has improved pretty significantly. I think of food, but don't have that nagging feeling like i have to grab something right now. 

i think a lot of it has to do with this whole quarantine time too, when i work next to my kitchen it is a hell of a day. Have more discipline now not "grazing" all day, but it can certainly be tempting

When I was in the boy scouts I thought that's what gorp was. I was shocked to find out that people ate just the bad parts.

I was destined to be fat wasn't I 
I had to GTS. 

Gorp has been a hiker's friend since the days of hob-nailed boots and Trapper Nelson packs: a quick pick-me-up of fruits, nuts, and candy. We've all heard the story that gorp is an acronym for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.

lol, probably. i know restricting some eating is tougher in the beginning, but being 2.5 months into it, I think the psychological aspect of eating has improved pretty significantly. I think of food, but don't have that nagging feeling like i have to grab something right now. 

i think a lot of it has to do with this whole quarantine time too, when i work next to my kitchen it is a hell of a day. Have more discipline now not "grazing" all day, but it can certainly be tempting
Joke analysis:  bostonfred took a portion of your previous comment, and efficiently made a humorous redirection. The smaller organ you originally spoke of was the stomach. Fred's implication is that the smaller organ was your "wee wee".  

Caesar said:

Yeah man, addiction is a powerful thing whether it be food, drink or drugs.  

Caesar said:
Are you or can you exercise? I still have my outbursts believe me but they come when I am playing Tennis and someone can fire back at me. I try and take some of the crap I have to endure from others in a normal day of life or week of life and push that energy into my exercise. 

Walking is a great way to aleve stress and I'm sure you've heard of that. Sugar control can keep stress down as well, when your sugar is running high and low all the time you tend to get emotional I find in my life. My wife is not an athlete at all but when she starts a health run she starts with daily walks so she can manage her food better. 

These are just feedback posts, they are not meant to make you feel lousy in any way, we've qll been in your shoes, I was almost 300 lbs at one point about 15 years ago, that went down slowly to around 260 where you are then I managed to trim it down to about 230 but always bouncing and then last year I finally had a breakthrough I would say. 

Stress is a killer for health, we all have to deal with it and I know it gets the better of me. I'm no saint, I eat ice cream in little Haagan Daz singles when I am nervous or need something more than fruit or a smoothie. We all cheat on these, it's to what degree we let it go before we gain control again. It's very difficult and you cannot overlook the pandemic and the stress it's put on so many folks. 

I could not lose the weight I have without exercise. I started slow with walks, then cycle, mix in a lot of Tennis. You have to find the right balance and something that works for you. 

Corporation said:
Joke analysis:  bostonfred took a portion of your previous comment, and efficiently made a humorous redirection. The smaller organ you originally spoke of was the stomach. Fred's implication is that the smaller organ was your "wee wee".  
Listening to the Dana Carvey podcast...each week he has his friend (Larry "Bubbles" Brown) on to tell a quick one liner like joke.

This weeks

"I went on a diet, but it backfired.  I lost two condom sizes.  Now Im a petite"

Are you or can you exercise? I still have my outbursts believe me but they come when I am playing Tennis and someone can fire back at me. I try and take some of the crap I have to endure from others in a normal day of life or week of life and push that energy into my exercise. 

Walking is a great way to aleve stress and I'm sure you've heard of that. Sugar control can keep stress down as well, when your sugar is running high and low all the time you tend to get emotional I find in my life. My wife is not an athlete at all but when she starts a health run she starts with daily walks so she can manage her food better. 

These are just feedback posts, they are not meant to make you feel lousy in any way, we've qll been in your shoes, I was almost 300 lbs at one point about 15 years ago, that went down slowly to around 260 where you are then I managed to trim it down to about 230 but always bouncing and then last year I finally had a breakthrough I would say. 

Stress is a killer for health, we all have to deal with it and I know it gets the better of me. I'm no saint, I eat ice cream in little Haagan Daz singles when I am nervous or need something more than fruit or a smoothie. We all cheat on these, it's to what degree we let it go before we gain control again. It's very difficult and you cannot overlook the pandemic and the stress it's put on so many folks. 

I could not lose the eight I have without exercise. I started slow with walks, then cycle, mix in a lot of Tennis. You have to find the right balance and something that works for you. 
Yeah.  working at a baseball stadium, I have been walking the tunnel a few times a day and I am now walking to places instead of taking the golf cart.  I did this last year with a bit of success.  

I have a bad back and doing much more than walking has been a challenge.  I have thrown it out a couple times in the past year and it just takes me down, sometimes for weeks.  I love tennis and wish I could play, but I need to start a little smaller.  I do have a back brace that I will wear if I try to do anything more, but I am not there yet. 

Listening to the Dana Carvey podcast...each week he has his friend (Larry "Bubbles" Brown) on to tell a quick one liner like joke.

This weeks

"I went on a diet, but it backfired.  I lost two condom sizes.  Now Im a petite"
I didn't know Dana had a podcast (but I guess it's probably a smaller list of who doesn't have one). I may check it out if you like it.

I didn't know Dana had a podcast (but I guess it's probably a smaller list of who doesn't have one). I may check it out if you like it.
It is interesting.  I think 8 or 9 so far.

A lot of him talking with family and friends.  Lovitz did come on and that Larry Brown is on each week.

Its sort of all over the place, no real structure to it...just a lot of his stories from comedy and growing up.  Definitely passes the time and gets me laughing while out walking (I don't listen to it while running...laughter and running don't mix well).

Yeah.  working at a baseball stadium, I have been walking the tunnel a few times a day and I am now walking to places instead of taking the golf cart.  I did this last year with a bit of success.  

I have a bad back and doing much more than walking has been a challenge.  I have thrown it out a couple times in the past year and it just takes me down, sometimes for weeks.  I love tennis and wish I could play, but I need to start a little smaller.  I do have a back brace that I will wear if I try to do anything more, but I am not there yet. 
Just start with walking and try to track it. I find most folks walk about 2.5 mph when they start, that ill speed up over time and you will build some endurance up. The best thing for the back would be to trim off some weight, I was suffering too when I was heavier, blamed the mattresses and desk chairs etc...

Just stick to walking IMHO for a solid month and see where that leads you. Part of the walk is not the actual steps but it fills up time you would be eating and drinking and watching TV. 

Baseball Stadium you say? Which one might I ask? Pro/AAA/Minors? 

Corporation said:
:lmao: .. oh shoot. i thought there used to be an emoji with a "woosh" over the head, but maybe not anymore. Work getting in the way of real life again.

Just start with walking and try to track it. I find most folks walk about 2.5 mph when they start, that ill speed up over time and you will build some endurance up. The best thing for the back would be to trim off some weight, I was suffering too when I was heavier, blamed the mattresses and desk chairs etc...

Just stick to walking IMHO for a solid month and see where that leads you. Part of the walk is not the actual steps but it fills up time you would be eating and drinking and watching TV. 

Baseball Stadium you say? Which one might I ask? Pro/AAA/Minors? 
Great American Ball Park

Great American Ball Park
1st of all the avg temp in Cinci the last month or two has to be bone chilling cold. I am not a big fan of walking indoors. 

When the weather gets a little nicer I would try and walk around the ballpark, outside of it if you can during lunch and pack a sandwich you can just eat at your desk or while you are working, use the 60 minutes at lunch, maybe try a 25-30 minute walk and use the rest of the time for whatever you want.

Headphones, music, podcast, ask someone else you know who tends to drift to the healthier side of life if they want to come with you, walks go by faster when you can chat along the path I find.  It's OK to inform folks you are watching what you eat and trying to get a little more movement and stretching during the day so you aren't sitting at a desk for 8+ hours. 

Reds you say? My folks are from West Virginia and my dad was a huge Cinci fan. Pete Rose and I share the same BDay. 

modogg said:
MoP big fan of this, like going on black coffee until around Noon sometimes later and then I like eggs and I like expensive eggs, the green and blue ones that are like $8 a dozen but they are so good. You've never seen yokes this bright in your life I promise, they are almost safety color orange. 

Fasting can be easier for some than others. I almost never eat more than 2 meals in a day so the 6-8 hour block when you can eat doesn't impact me much which is what you are saying about not feeling restrictions.  

Caesar said:

Re the first paragraph, you can have “good numbers” and have a major event. Like I had with a Widowmaker. Just sayin. Can’t get comfortable with borderline numbers

Inventory list please, how did we achieve this?
Breakfast 667 calories, 31g protein, 27g fiber

Coffee with creamer, no sugar

Protein shake whey protein powder, quarter cup milk, loaded with raspberries and a banana. 

Lunch 496 calories, 60g protein, 16g fiber

Chicken breast cut in half, eaten at separate times for better protein absorption 

Two Thomas's light multi grain english muffins, toasted

One cracker cut extra sharp cheddar for the second sandwich

Condiments 

Dinner 750 calories, 64g protein, 17g fiber

8 oz pork

Steamable bag of carrots broccoli cauliflower with sesame ginger sauce

Potatoes steamed and then baked at high heat to crisp edges

Exercise 35 minutes at 5.3 to 5.4 mph running, 5 min walking startup/cool down - 526 caloriea burned

Total 1913 calories, net 1387, goal 1500

Icelandic yogurt and raspberries
He posted like 35-50g of fiber and that is what i want to key in on. A lot of folks have impacted bowels that hold a lot of #### literally and many folks can lose a hug amount of weight in the beginning just getting proper bowl movements going. I know this is not sexie talk but honestly your health is toilet related IMO and if you are constantly in that 24 hour period of either leaving or approaching diarrhea and never having a solid movement or constipation going the other way....it's not good. 

He posted like 35-50g of fiber and that is what i want to key in on. A lot of folks have impacted bowels that hold a lot of #### literally and many folks can lose a hug amount of weight in the beginning just getting proper bowl movements going. I know this is not sexie talk but honestly your health is toilet related IMO and if you are constantly in that 24 hour period of either leaving or approaching diarrhea and never having a solid movement or constipation going the other way....it's not good. 
I really hope you never again feel the need to quote me and use the words above. ;)

Every day I try to have some combination of raspberries, broccoli/cauliflower, black beans, salad, those light multi grain english muffins, some kind of bananas, avocados, potatoes, other fruit, etc. That keeps me in the range.  Raspberries are amazing for fiber but apples, strawberries, blueberries, some pineapple once the weather starts to warm up around here... lots of ways to get some in.

My brother died of colon cancer when he was my age, so I'm taking this seriously and hope others do too. Getting in shape, adding some muscle, getting the digestive system on track... we're getting older and this stuff is important. 

I decided to get on the scale this morning, was just feeling really light and I felt a little less in that flabby lower mid section I always ##### and complain about in here. I was rolling close to 190 which is absolutely my mason/dixon line, I start getting anxiety. 

I have eluded to my drinking and @bostonfred and @TheFanatic have both reached out and made it clear if I need some help the can step in. I had a post up briefly in the Otis thread and erased it, was pretty chilling what i was writing about my alcohol intake of late or how it has slowly grown over the last 6 Months, I really hit the NFL season hard this past year more as an escape than I can recall the previous many seasons. 

I had a rough day last Saturday, all day drinking and even though it was a lot of fun, there's a price to pay and there always is. I was 188+ on Sunday and I told myself I needed to take a break. I always have a few beers after Tennis at the clubhouse, this week I did not stop and have my usual rounds with the guys. I usually stop at the local cantina/tequila bar and unfortunately they basically have a seat reserved for me at the bar and I avoided this place for much of the week, did grab 3 tacos and a tequila shot on Mon but the rest of the week has maybe been 1 beer with lunch. 

What else did I do this week? Kind of cut all dairy it seems except a little cheese, I go thru 32-64 oz of Half n Half weekly and drink way too much coffee. This week I took it black and I still love coffee but I simply don't drink as much of it. 

Scale said 180 this morning, it's true and more of a reflection of what I truly weigh, I had 8 lbs of alcohol and crap and I cleaned out a lot this week. So you know today i want to hit the afternoon hot spots around Jupiter Inlet, wife is "working" from home today  :whistle:   And this was mostly for Fred and Fanatic because they're worried about me and rightly so with some of the things I've shared. 

Bottom line, cutting alcohol and dairy this week, no red meat(it's been that way for a while) and mostly chicken and potatoes and I am feeling frisky.  

Users who are viewing this thread