What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (4 Viewers)

I'm glad it starts today.  

We ate leftovers the last 3 days haha.  Let's get it fellas. 

I cheated a little and started the day after Thanksgiving. 

Starting weight: 175.6

Alright! Had a burrito for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and McDonald’s for dinner yesterday. Let’s get it on!

205 starting weight.
I also started on Thanksgiving with a bike ride and have been active every day. I think it will be a bike ride before the storms come in today. 

185 was what I weighed in at, have been under 180 before Turkey Day but will be aiming for that elusive 170-175 range, Sundays are full of beer, bread/pizza and tequila shots when the Phins are winning, it takes days to undo that stuff. 

Cutting sugar I've found is another speed lane to success. It takes a little while to get the sugars out of your mouth but it's amazing once you do it how easy it is to detect sugar in things you never knew prior. This is not Atkins or Paleo, this is 86'ing things like cake and all baked goodies minus I'll say bread which I now buy at a small bakery that only sells bread. 

Processed foods...I had a few cool ranch Doritos on Sunday, 1st time in maybe 5-6 months I tasted a chip of any kind, wow. Tasted strange. 

Starting weight this morning was 221.  I plan on doing a mix of IF, with better meal plans.  It's the food/snacking between meals that gets me.  I'm looking at one large meal a day, with 3 small healthy snacks during the day.  Trying to keep the premise simple, expel more calories than I take in on a given day. To help with the holidays, I picked up an extra shift at a warehouse which forces me to lift/move heavy objects for about 4 hours a day.  It's like getting paid to go to the gym!  At least that's how I'm looking at it.  Constant movement on my feet, squats, repeated lifting of 25-50lbs.  Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

So Saturday I ate a breakfast sandwich, sugary coffee, chicken bacon and cheese boneless nuggets from dominos, a slice of dominos pizza., a nd a yogurt with raspberries, and did no exercise except a 30 minute walk. Even eating horribly i stayed under calories, got 30g fiber and 80g protein. 

Sunday I was a lot better. Still had the sugary coffee and breakfast sandwich but had a banana, salad, yogurt parfait, chicken cordon bleu with a huge thing of vegetables and wine. I did 90 minutes of walking while watching football and managed to have 40g fiber and 120g protein while staying under 1500. 

The trick both days was raspberries. Two servings (about 20 berries) are 90 calories and have 20g fiber. That's most of the recommended daily minimum for guys our age although your needs might vary. I mix them with skyr yogurt which has 15g protein for 130 calories and it tastes awesome. Maybe a little granola for crunch. 

Today I'm going with Quaker instant oatmeal packets but the high fiber kind. Two packets is 20g fiber and 8g protein for 300 calories. Not quite as good for my macros as the yogurt and berries but it's a good option especially if you don't want to grocery shop often enough to have fresh berries in the house all the time. They're expensive too. 

I know nobody likes talking about fiber but after my brother passed away from colon cancer I'm going to keep harping on this, especially with all the guys posting in the hemorrhoids thread last month. Take your #### seriously.

I have almost 1000 calories left for the day, but i plan to do Yoga with Adriene weight loss yoga (60 min) and some running/rowing later. lif you're interested in trying yoga, check out her free 30 days of yoga videos that are geared for newbies and closer to 20 or 30 minutes. It's been amazing for me, not just for flexibility but overall strength and it burns some calories which is nice. 

I ate like a trash can today and barely did any exercise. Half an hour of walking. Dominos for dinner. Just absolute #### day of eating.

30 minutes of walking is plus 169 calories. 

Late lunch 220 - Skyr yogurt is 130, plus 90 more for two servings of raspberries.

Dinner 788 calories. Dominos chicken with bacon and cheese. My heart hurts thinking about it and not because I'm in love. 11 pieces is 578 calories. Plus a slice of medium cheese pizza is another 210. 

Way to lead by example, fred.

But wait... let's add that up. 224 + 330 + 220 + 788 minus 169 equals..1403 net calories. Well under my goal of 1500, where I will lose 2 lbs per week. 

Protein was ok - about 80g, which is low but not bad. I'd like to be around 100 and higher if I'm exercising but this was a chores, errands and family day.  And 25g of fiber, almost entirely from those raspberries.  

So even eating trash all day - sugary coffee, egg sandwich with meat on a bagel, pizza and chicken with bacon from dominos, just awful food choices - and doing next to nothing for exercise - I am still on track. 

If I can eat like this on a bad day and still lose 2 lbs per week, then think what you can do if you eat like a grown up. Mix a salad in. Have something homemade instead of Dominos. Maybe run or do a longer walk or some yoga.  Weight loss doesn't have to be hard and calorie counting doesn't mean you never get to eat fun foods.

I'm going to keep blogging this for guys who don't count calories so maybe I can be a case study for how to do this realistically and sustainability.  I won't always eat garbage like this, but I'm not going to be munching on baked kale while I wait for my quinoa and flaxseed smoothie so I can get amped up for spin class.  I will eat fun foods and drink wine and still lose ten pounds by Christmas eve. 
This is incredibly helpful.  And I had a similar experience on Sunday (after deciding to start this on Friday).  Here is what my Sunday looked like:

Cheerios and milk before anyone else woke up (+240 calories)

6-mile run with a neighbor at a 9-min pace (-650 calories)

Small cup of raspberries (+50 calories)

Leftover Thanksgiving food for lunch:  ham, stuffing, cheese potatoes, kale salad (+800 calories)

3-mile run with wife at a very slow pace plus cool down which I didn’t count (-300 calories) 

Pepperoni pizza and carrots for dinner (+900 calories)

1/2 apple plus 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter for dessert (+200 calories)

Total intake: +2,190 calories

Exercise:  -900 calories

Net:  +1,290 calories

Target:  +1,740 calories

Excess:  450 calories

Ok, so not a great day for sodium intake.  But I had two large meals — basically a mini-thanksgiving chased down with pepperoni pizza.  But you might notice two things: 1) I don’t consume calories via beverages, 2) did a ton of exercise yesterday.  So like BF, I can overcome a few bad food decisions by exercising more.  

My goal is to lose 7-8 lbs in one month.  That’s the initial goal.  To do that, I need to stick to 1,740 net calories per day on average.  And I’d really like to stay at or below every day — not get behind and play catch up (which is my natural instinct).

Using the app really helps me.  Updating my wife every night helps.  Posting in here helps.  Each time I consider eating something, I think about all 3 of those things:  app, wife, thread.  And it slows me down from making a snap decision about whether or not to eat something.

So Saturday I ate a breakfast sandwich, sugary coffee, chicken bacon and cheese boneless nuggets from dominos, a slice of dominos pizza., a nd a yogurt with raspberries, and did no exercise except a 30 minute walk. Even eating horribly i stayed under calories, got 30g fiber and 80g protein. 

Sunday I was a lot better. Still had the sugary coffee and breakfast sandwich but had a banana, salad, yogurt parfait, chicken cordon bleu with a huge thing of vegetables and wine. I did 90 minutes of walking while watching football and managed to have 40g fiber and 120g protein while staying under 1500. 

The trick both days was raspberries. Two servings (about 20 berries) are 90 calories and have 20g fiber. That's most of the recommended daily minimum for guys our age although your needs might vary. I mix them with skyr yogurt which has 15g protein for 130 calories and it tastes awesome. Maybe a little granola for crunch. 

Today I'm going with Quaker instant oatmeal packets but the high fiber kind. Two packets is 20g fiber and 8g protein for 300 calories. Not quite as good for my macros as the yogurt and berries but it's a good option especially if you don't want to grocery shop often enough to have fresh berries in the house all the time. They're expensive too. 

I know nobody likes talking about fiber but after my brother passed away from colon cancer I'm going to keep harping on this, especially with all the guys posting in the hemorrhoids thread last month. Take your #### seriously.

I have almost 1000 calories left for the day, but i plan to do Yoga with Adriene weight loss yoga (60 min) and some running/rowing later. lif you're interested in trying yoga, check out her free 30 days of yoga videos that are geared for newbies and closer to 20 or 30 minutes. It's been amazing for me, not just for flexibility but overall strength and it burns some calories which is nice. 
-I'm a paid spokesperson for this brand. I keep several in the fridge and eat them like ice cream when I need something a little sweet and mixing it with fresh berries of all kinds really makes a powerhouse treat. I like to have this prior to exercise when I can. 

-I'm a big fan of slow cooked oatmeal on the stove top, doesn't take very long and is twice as nutritious IMHO.  The soluble fiber and really all fiber is going to be a huge ace in the hole for many in here if they want to lose a few lbs. You'll be amazed how many days of impacted bowels you are carrying around. What you ate 3-4 days ago is what you are releasing right now. Eventually as you get your system moving you can keep better track of your health by the daily morning throne visits. Some of you don't have your 1st until well past Afternoon and that just makes your whole day a laborious chore. We'll get into this more but that stomach pain you feel in the morning is not hunger, if anything it's dehydration but moreover you likely need to go to the bathroom. Real hunger is felt in the throat and not your tummy, fyi. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, maybe this will be the motivation I need to start doing yoga now.  Or maybe I’ll just watch the video over and over because I’m enamored with Adriene.

A bit of a set back here. I was 174.4 and I'm probably around 177 now. I still plan on doing this but it's going to have to be in a different way than I ever thought. Over the past month I have not missed a single workout or two (spin, yoga, kettlebells). What is plainly obvious to me now, but was not on my last workout of yoga/spin on Tuesday, was this guy has kidney stones. I thought I tweaked my back last Sunday, nope. Thanksgiving was incredible rough and I was the cook for my wife and the in laws. Food has been not good lately with pecan pie, honey baked ham, and many of the classics. Since I haven't been cooking (mainly dying on the sofa) the food quality and healthiness has dropped. If I am not cooking my wife lives the life of quick, easy, and greasy cheesy bready. 

Moral of the story, hopefully I'm back soon and it looks to be  a lot of walking for me in the short term. That, and water, lots of water, even though for the past two months I have averaged 120oz of water a day. 

:football:

I'm not much of a yo yo guy but prefer lifestyle changes in my diet.  The past 6 months I've dropped 15 lbs just eliminating bread, sweets and most starchy carbs (185 to 170).   It was torture at first but your body adapts and craves less of the bs especially when you're active.  I still eat steel cut oatmeal with fresh fruit and brown rice/black beans on occasion.  Also a fan of a few cheat meals to treat myself but I really find processed sugar is my enemy, not fat.  Meat, eggs, veggies, nut butters, fruit and protein shakes are in heavy rotation.   Meal prepping really helps if you're not working from home.  

This Covid thing can be detrimental for movement so just force yourself out in the morning for a run/walk.  And if you can't lift weights,  at home workouts are really easy using your bodyweight as resistance - pushups, dips, pullups, squats, burpees, planks, situps/abs.   Just do something.  You'll feel better and often find more motivation to stick to the diet.  

For people who are dieting for the first time in a while, you might be getting the hungry horrors right about now.  I always get bad carb cravings when I'm first getting back into dieting, or if Idon't get good sleep the night before. This is when it helps me to have some low calorie options.

I just made my breakfast sandwich, and I used a 125 calorie Thomas's mini bagel which keeps it at 325 calories (70 for the egg, 70 for the cheese and 60 for a thick piece of Canadian bacon).  It's important for me to plug that into the myfitnesspal app right away so I can see what I have left. 

644 calories for tne rest of the day. I could have a couple more 300 calorie mini meals, or a 210 calorie salad and a 100 calorie bowl of steamed veggies plus a 300 calorie mini meal, or do some exercise to earn more. Some days I'm really struggling early in the day and I need those little meals to get me through. Other days I don't feel like i need to eat early and I get to save up for a big meal. Those days are awesome. 

If I'm having trouble sticking with it, I might also drink some water or have a mint. Or brush my teeth. Or do some exercise. I just need to get my mind off of it. 

Starting weight is 193.   Just rode exercise bike for 30 minutes. I am hungry and my wife wants to go to lunch.  Going to try my best to be reasonable on what I order.  

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           1210
  • Nov 28         223.3                 -2.8                   1400
  • Nov 29         221.7                 -4.4                   1450
  • Nov 30         221.5                 -4.6
As predicted, the more normalized weight loss has kicked in.

Do you have 40 to lose anymore?
I would be anorexic again and while that would be ok with me, not sure my wife liked it.  My main goal right now is to get back to running and see where things go.  I'm floating around 205 which is bad considering how low I was - this year has been brutal for me like you said.  I think you and I are very similar with our yo-yo'ing. I'd rather not do it as I know it's not good for me at all.  I've not been very motivated this year for somewhat obvious reasons but ultimately just excuses.  Thankfully, I didn't let myself go too much so I don't have a long ways to go.

I’ll get in on this one. I’m on the relatively lighter side (currently at 165), but I’m up about 10 since the pandemic started and would like to get back to where I was and normally am. Lots of bad choices; food has been one way to help get through this (e.g., my wife bought a Baskin-Robbins turkey ice cream cake which is intended to serve around 15 people for just the 3 of us at home; still have about half of it in the freezer).

I’ll get in on this one. I’m on the relatively lighter side (currently at 165), but I’m up about 10 since the pandemic started and would like to get back to where I was and normally am. Lots of bad choices; food has been one way to help get through this (e.g., my wife bought a Baskin-Robbins turkey ice cream cake which is intended to serve around 15 people for just the 3 of us at home; still have about half of it in the freezer).
I know it seems wasteful, but have you thought about tossing it?  I can't have temptations in the house.  My laziness will override my hunger if I have to get in the car and go get something.  If something is around, it'll be in my belly before I have a chance critically think about it.

I know it seems wasteful, but have you thought about tossing it?  I can't have temptations in the house.  My laziness will override my hunger if I have to get in the car and go get something.  If something is around, it'll be in my belly before I have a chance critically think about it.
I know full well I am in no shape to lecture, BUT, bostonfred is right. A healthy diet is one that allows you to eat a small piece. 

It just so happens that a small piece to us fattys is half the cake

It is a good thought, but I’m not sure totally up to me. I love my wife, but her health could benefit from a diet a lot more than me, and she is frequently the one bringing the temptations into the house, and I’ve now been in the same house all day with her for the past 8 months. I ended up passing on the cake while my wife was cutting some for herself last night, and I got on the elliptical instead.

I know full well I am in no shape to lecture, BUT, bostonfred is right. A healthy diet is one that allows you to eat a small piece. 

It just so happens that a small piece to us fattys is half the cake
That's me.  I have a hard time eating in moderation so I eat too much.  I will be having a "cheat day" once per week to prevent the body from going into starvation mode.

It is a good thought, but I’m not sure totally up to me. I love my wife, but her health could benefit from a diet a lot more than me, and she is frequently the one bringing the temptations into the house, and I’ve now been in the same house all day with her for the past 8 months. I ended up passing on the cake while my wife was cutting some for herself last night, and I got on the elliptical instead.
Smart man.  Happy wife, happy life.  You have more self control than I do.  Also evidenced by the fact that you are 60 pounds lighter than me :)

i will also be doing at least one, 24 hour fast, over the next 21 days.  i subscribe to the reseting of the bodies digestive system, by doing so.   :shrug:   been a long time, since i have done one.

i'm not a dr., nor is this any sort of medical advice. :lmao:  

I would be anorexic again and while that would be ok with me, not sure my wife liked it.  My main goal right now is to get back to running and see where things go.  I'm floating around 205 which is bad considering how low I was - this year has been brutal for me like you said.  I think you and I are very similar with our yo-yo'ing. I'd rather not do it as I know it's not good for me at all.  I've not been very motivated this year for somewhat obvious reasons but ultimately just excuses.  Thankfully, I didn't let myself go too much so I don't have a long ways to go.
Congrats on not losing all your gains. I’m back where we started

I get what your wife is going through.  Temptation is a b and I know no moderation with sugar.  I just don't keep it around and only indulge on a one off basis.  I can't keep a pint of ice cream, a bag of twizzlers or a dozen cupcakes without them being gone in one night.  Sure it's cheaper to buy in bulk but you'll save a lot more in the long run eating sensibly.  I'll just spend a bit more for that dessert at a restaurant where I'm not in control of the quantity or make some less damaging alternatives like oatmeal protein cookies.  

I shot around the basketball court yesterday, jumped rope, ran 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer, consumed 1450 calories. This morning I weighed 3 lbs. more than Sunday morning. It must of been the ham I ate yesterday? I will go low salt tonight and check the scale tomorrow. 

I shot around the basketball court yesterday, jumped rope, ran 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer, consumed 1450 calories. This morning I weighed 3 lbs. more than Sunday morning. It must of been the ham I ate yesterday? I will go low salt tonight and check the scale tomorrow. 
You are going to drive yourself nuts worrying about day over day fluctuations.

You are going to drive yourself nuts worrying about day over day fluctuations.
Are you my wife?

I am a nutjob about weighing myself. I know the science and Ive done it enough to know how it works. But damn it if Im not pissed when I dont lose a tenth of a pound for 3 days in a row when you know how good you have done. 

She just gave me this speech today. And she threw in how Im old now so it doesnt come off as quick as it used to. 

:kicksrock:

I've been on a fitness/diet kick for about a week now. Have the double issue of wanting to lose weight AND getting cholesterol down. Having to start eat things that I really don't like much, like beans, wheat bread, low-fat yogurt, etc.

Stopped: carbonated beverages, fast food, white bread

Cut way back: desserts, beer (no beer Sunday-Thursday, only 1-2 Friday and Saturday)

Working out in the garage 3-4x/week. Walking 10,000 steps 3-4x/week. Have to do low impact workouts because of all of my young man injuries that I thought would never come back to bite me in the ###.

I've been on a fitness/diet kick for about a week now. Have the double issue of wanting to lose weight AND getting cholesterol down. Having to start eat things that I really don't like much, like beans, wheat bread, low-fat yogurt, etc.

Stopped: carbonated beverages, fast food, white bread

Cut way back: desserts, beer (no beer Sunday-Thursday, only 1-2 Friday and Saturday)

Working out in the garage 3-4x/week. Walking 10,000 steps 3-4x/week. Have to do low impact workouts because of all of my young man injuries that I thought would never come back to bite me in the ###.
Not everyone believes the same experts-sources, so go with what you believe. However, chances are the bolded is not a requirement and you may find some healthy options that you don't hate.

brun said:
Not everyone believes the same experts-sources, so go with what you believe. However, chances are the bolded is not a requirement and you may find some healthy options that you don't hate.
Those are to help my cholesterol. I’m mixing them with things I like, oatmeal with lots of blueberries, for example. It has been ok so far. 

Had a bpwl of chicken tortilla soup earlier, 410 calories. I like the chili better but it's 670 calories.  Everything starts at the grocery store. 

Finished my day with some exercise, ran 15 min at 7mph, 25 minutes walking at 3mph and 20 minutes of rowing. When I got done I needed something to eat but didn't feel like cooking anything so I made a quick turkey sandwich with lots of turkey, a big bowl of broccoli and cauliflower, ate a skyr yogurt, and poured some port wine. I'm going to have some stinky farts tonight. 

Finished with 104g protein, 33g fiber, plenty of exercise, and about 500 calories to spare.  Might have another glass of port. 

High for the year Aug 19, 249.2, low for the year Feb 1, 219.3.  Expected a small hiccup as we delayed our Thanksgiving to Sunday for family reasons.  Need to punch some recipes into MFA to track more accurately.  As noted above, cutting breakfast in half and having a couple protein bars (348 total calories and 50g protein) to get my macros in line.

• Date       |    Weight      |    Fat%     |       +/-         |   Calories
  • Nov 24   |    237 lbs     |    34.6%   |       -----        |      ----
  • Nov 29   |   231.1 lbs   |   31.1%    |   (5.9 lbs)   |      ----
  • Nov 30     |    234 lbs      |   31.7%    |    (3lbs)      |      ----

Had a bpwl of chicken tortilla soup earlier, 410 calories. I like the chili better but it's 670 calories.  Everything starts at the grocery store. 

Finished my day with some exercise, ran 15 min at 7mph, 25 minutes walking at 3mph and 20 minutes of rowing. When I got done I needed something to eat but didn't feel like cooking anything so I made a quick turkey sandwich with lots of turkey, a big bowl of broccoli and cauliflower, ate a skyr yogurt, and poured some port wine. I'm going to have some stinky farts tonight. 

Finished with 104g protein, 33g fiber, plenty of exercise, and about 500 calories to spare.  Might have another glass of port. 
True.  I find getting groceries delivered is a lot safer.  No temptations.  No smells from the bakery.   Most importantly, I always stick to the list. 

Users who are viewing this thread