What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff Defenses - get 'em now (1 Viewer)

kutta

Footballguy
It's time to start rounding up defenses for the playoffs. I usually like to grab 2-4 good defenses to use throughout the playoffs. There are dregs on your roster somewhere that you can cut and run with the guys who got you here, freeing up space. Picking up extra D's not only give you good choices in the playoffs, but also prevents others from grabbing them and using them against you.

Some that I'm grabbing in various leagues:

Saints - they play the Brocos in week 12, and Phily in week 14 (week 1 of the playoffs)

Cowboys - they play the Bengals in week 14 and Philly in week 16

Seahawks - their next four games are Eagles, Giants, Jets, Football Team

Browns - week 15 and 16 are Giants and Jets

Cardinals - weeks 14-16 - Giants, Eagles, 49ers

Anyone else collect D's at this point in the season? And who am I missing?

I'm looking to roll with two defenses and hoping to grab the Saints tomorrow to pair with the Dolphins.

Word of caution... a lot of times bad defenses with nice match-ups still result in bad outcomes. I would steer clear of Dallas and Seattle, but that's just my opinion, obviously.

I have Miami and the Rams. With this I’d play vs NYJ, CIN, NE, NYJ week 15. Then worry about week 16. NO is on my waiver too. I’m thinking of dropping Tee Higgins for the claim as a keep away mostly or matchup. Three defenses might be overkill. I’d never start him again anyway though. 

I've got Seattle and TB.

Seattle is really getting to the QB now...lots of sacks (but too many points) and a great schedule 12-15.

TB plays Detroit in week 16...hopefully the kitties will have completely given up by then.

Have Miami and Rams but after this week I'm going to drop Miami for Chicago as I have clinched a bye.   Rams have Jets week 15 and Bears have Jags week 16.

It's time to start rounding up defenses for the playoffs. I usually like to grab 2-4 good defenses to use throughout the playoffs. There are dregs on your roster somewhere that you can cut and run with the guys who got you here, freeing up space. Picking up extra D's not only give you good choices in the playoffs, but also prevents others from grabbing them and using them against you.

Some that I'm grabbing in various leagues:

Saints - they play the Brocos in week 12, and Phily in week 14 (week 1 of the playoffs)
Broncos dont really matter as it's not playoffs.  Philly can actually put up some points and I don't think is the dream matchup, though Carson does throw a lot of picks.  Don't think it's worth holding them just for the eagles week 14 when they get the chiefs and vikings in semis/finals weeks.  Pass.  

Cowboys - they play the Bengals in week 14 and Philly in week 16
Matchups are good, but they're just so bad.  Not sure I'd even start them vs Cinci over other options.

Seahawks - their next four games are Eagles, Giants, Jets, Football Team
Next 2 games don't matter if we're talking playoffs.  Plus Seattle D is not good.  That said, Jets matchup is so juicy that it might be worth grabbing them for that though.

Browns - week 15 and 16 are Giants and Jets
Love this one.  Their D has been playing really good too and those are great matchups for a team fighting for a playoff spot.  Both games in NY though.  But pairing them up with the Seahawks could be super solid and you get Jets + Giants/Wash + Jets with that combo.

Cardinals - weeks 14-16 - Giants, Eagles, 49ers
Better options than those teams.  If you have short benches and can't carry multiple, they are solid as they have 3 good but not outstanding matchups.

Anyone else collect D's at this point in the season? And who am I missing?

My favourite option from above is to grab both Seattle and Cleveland.  Both could be available, and gives you playoff matchups of:  W14 Jets + W15 NYG/WAS + W16 Jets. Sign me up.
Good thread.  My thoughts above.

Seattle D  has shown some signs of life with a particularly decent game vs the Cards. At least they’re getting to the QB. I still don’t trust them but that week 14 matchup vs Jets is hard to ignore.

I currently have the Rams but am looking for another D to pair with. Rams have NE week 14, Jets week 15 (!!!), then finish at SEA (not good). Browns would have been ideal (Jets in week 16) but they’re off the board. I’m leaning towards just going Seattle so I can double up on the Jets (week 14 and 15) and then figure out week 16 when I get there. Cardinals vs 49ers in week 16 isn’t bad, but young Shanny always seems to scheme up some offense no matter what scrubs he has in there, so could be a trap game. None of the available week 16 options seem that great at this point.

A word to the wise targeting the Giants- don’t read too much in those season long performance metrics, as the offense has become a lot more frisky in recent weeks. More designed runs for Jones, improved defense providing shorter fields, and Sheppard coming back have improved the offense that went like 4 weeks without scoring a TD earlier in the season. Don’t get me wrong, they still stink, but they’re not a slam dunk team to target anymore. A middling defense streamed against them is likely to disappoint (ie. I got burned playing the Eagles against them the other week).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have NO as my fallback since it's a solid D regardless of the matchup, but just was able to pick up SEA D. NYJ in week 14 and @WASH in week 15 are solid.

I think SEA could emerge if J. Adams can stay healthy and also if the offense recommits to more of a ground and pound offense. Seems like they want to go that way after the AZ game. With Carson back, it could increase the odds.

Now have my eyes on AZ and DAL...and hoping somebody makes a colossal mistake.

Seattle plays Philly and WFT outdoors. There will be rain in Philadelphia this Monday. They play WFT on 12/20, maybe Haskins will be playing. I'm going with the Seahawks D.

I was trying to play matchups the first few weeks to varying levels of success until I saw someone drop BAL during their bye. Picked up and playing them since. Not spectacular fantasy numbers but hopefully better coming up. Or maybe I should play matchups again.

Flipped around until I got Miami to pair with SF who were awful early on. 

I like the list of defenses here, San Fran as someone mentioned has 2 pretty nice match ups in week 14 and 16 but you don't know if they will actually take advantage of them. Miami is more reliant right now and even their Dec games are going to be hard fought. 

Users who are viewing this thread