What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens/Steelers Debacle - POLL INSIDE (1 Viewer)

If game can not be played should the game be rescheduled for a week 18?

• Yes

Votes: 108 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t care too much about an undefeated season, I’m more concerned about the playoffs which is why I am so against a week 18 game.

it would complete BS for a one or two seeded team to have to play a makeup game (which may or may not be meaningful) while lower seeded teams get to rest.
I agree the first seeds in each conference, whoever they are, would be royally screwed if they don't get their bye week due to some stupid week 18 makeup game.  And the new stupid 7 teams per conference means only 1 team gets a bye, making the screw-job even worse if the week 18 scenario plays out.

Yes (though I doubt the NFL & NBC would agree)

Yes

No

Baltimore needs to be punished severely. But I'm not sure the "make 'em play with practice squad players" thing is the way to go. 
Why? As far as we can tell they've been following the protocols. People can  test positive even while doing so through no fault of their own. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the first seeds in each conference, whoever they are, would be royally screwed if they don't get their bye week due to some stupid week 18 makeup game.  And the new stupid 7 teams per conference means only 1 team gets a bye, making the screw-job even worse if the week 18 scenario plays out.
Probably why unless more than half the team is out, they'll play.

Why? As far as we can tell they've been following the protocols. People can get sick even while doing so through no fault of their own. 
Very few details have been released yet, but it appears the S&C coach repeatedly violated protocols.

ughhhh  Ive got  2 steelers and a  balt

imore te that I now have to worry about.....
Not to try and outdo you but I have.....

I have 44 Pitt Defenses

I have 21 James Conner

I have 11 Diontae Johnson

I have 23 JuJu Smith-Schuster

I have 6 Chase Claypool

I have 10 Justin Tucker

I have 22 Baltimore DF's

I have 9 Lamar Jackson (but I know I already have to replace him) 17 Dobbin (same deal)

I have Mark Andrews on my #1 overall FFPC main event team

Steelers have now placed 3 people on the covid list. Isaiah Biggs DT, Jerald Hawkins OL, and Stephon Tuitt DE

Ravens week 13 game moved to Monday night which means it is possible Lamar Jackson can be cleared to play in that game.

I have 44 Pitt Defenses

I have 21 James Conner

I have 6 Chase Claypool

I have 10 Justin Tucker

I have 22 Baltimore DF's

I have 9 Lamar Jackson (but I know I already have to replace him) 17 Dobbin (same deal)

No what you have is too much time on your hands.  😆

I have 44 Pitt Defenses

I have 21 James Conner

I have 6 Chase Claypool

I have 10 Justin Tucker

I have 22 Baltimore DF's

You have too many teams.

;)   :lmao:  

I had Conner and Boswell starting this week.  Just picked up Gore and Myers (Seattle kicker) cause I can’t afford to take zeroes if the game scheduled for Tuesday is postponed.

Maybe some San Francisco and New England fans will want to weigh in on that one.
Why? They’d likely be extremely biased. And maybe I am as a Ravens fan which is why I’m curious if there’s something I’m missing. The Pats had an active player test positive Friday I believe? Game got moved to Monday, there were no close contacts deemed or maybe that wasn’t a thing at the time so they played 2 days later. I think a staff member or practice squad player tested positive as well. How exactly were they wronged?

Most of the players who missed the Niners-GB game missed due to injury- Kittle, Jimmy G, Deebo, Mostert, Wilson. Bourne tested positive and I believe Aiyuk and Williams were deemed close contacts and thus must sit? Were there more? I know the Pack lost Jamaal Williams for the same reason. The Ravens and Titans had several players test positive for several days leading up to their games. Moving them to prevent actively infected players from playing is all that can be done. Vastly different from a player or 2 testing positive and their known close contacts sitting. Again unless I’m wrong about the timeline or severity of those other outbreaks it seems like there were some key differences.

The issue involved in postponing the game is that until the chain of infections stops, the Ravens are an ongoing hot spot. 3 more positives yesterday- how is the team even supposed to travel to Pittsburgh when they’re all quarantined until at least one day goes by with no new infections? And do the Steelers players want to be on the same field until they can be reasonably assured that they’re not tackling a guy who’s not certain to be cleared of Covid?

The issue involved in postponing the game is that until the chain of infections stops, the Ravens are an ongoing hot spot. 3 more positives yesterday- how is the team even supposed to travel to Pittsburgh when they’re all quarantined until at least one day goes by with no new infections? And do the Steelers players want to be on the same field until they can be reasonably assured that they’re not tackling a guy who’s not certain to be cleared of Covid?
Agreed and if they can’t determine if the chain of infection has been stopped by Tuesday they should just cancel the game outright and not force two teams to play week 18 while the rest of the playoff teams enjoy a bye before the playoffs.

Unfortunately the issue of Ravens and Steelers players missing a game check will not sit well with some players, especially if one of the teams do not make the playoffs.

All of this because one dummy didn’t want to follow the league’s protocols. 

of a heated rivalry in the most competitive division in the sport. 
Heated rivalry sure.

Most competitive division? Hardly.  NFC West owns that title. Heck, the entire NFC east is within 1 game. 

All I can think about is that Niner-Packer Thursday game was that was played as scheduled.

Just no consistency.

If Ravens can't play...IMO they should have to forfeit. Will that happen? Meh
My first impulse is to make teams play with whomever they can have take the field. 

But this is spot on and is the reason I'd cancel the game or postpone it to week 18.

Many of us (I know I did but the idea wasn't mine) wanted the NFL to push the playoffs back a week and use week 18 to make up games. They might not be able to makeup all the games, prioritize by division title first and then other games with playoff implications. 

not force two teams to play week 18 while the rest of the playoff teams enjoy a bye before the playoffs.
I get this thought, but giving these teams another bye week now isn't really fair to other teams either. There's no perfect solution. After this game there's a really good chance the Ravens win out but let's say they lose to the browns. So if they skip this game entirely they have a good chance to be 10-5.  I guess you just consider the cancelled game the same as a tie, but there's a legitimate chance that the Ravens get in the playoffs if the game is skipped while they wouldn't at 10-6. I get that I'm speculating here, but that's why you leave the option for a week 18 game open.

Agreed and if they can’t determine if the chain of infection has been stopped by Tuesday they should just cancel the game outright and not force two teams to play week 18 while the rest of the playoff teams enjoy a bye before the playoffs.

Unfortunately the issue of Ravens and Steelers players missing a game check will not sit well with some players, especially if one of the teams do not make the playoffs.

All of this because one dummy didn’t want to follow the league’s protocols. 
Some sportswriter the other day opined that, if Baltimore is found negligent and is fined, that the fine should be enough to cover game checks should the game not be played.

I get this thought, but giving these teams another bye week now isn't really fair to other teams either. There's no perfect solution. After this game there's a really good chance the Ravens win out but let's say they lose to the browns. So if they skip this game entirely they have a good chance to be 10-5.  I guess you just consider the cancelled game the same as a tie, but there's a legitimate chance that the Ravens get in the playoffs if the game is skipped while they wouldn't at 10-6. I get that I'm speculating here, but that's why you leave the option for a week 18 game open.
Another bye week? The Steelers haven't had their first one yet, and won't have one the rest of the way. They may not have played in Week 5, but they didn't know that until after they had practiced all week.

Why? They’d likely be extremely biased. And maybe I am as a Ravens fan which is why I’m curious if there’s something I’m missing. The Pats had an active player test positive Friday I believe? Game got moved to Monday, there were no close contacts deemed or maybe that wasn’t a thing at the time so they played 2 days later. I think a staff member or practice squad player tested positive as well. How exactly were they wronged?

Most of the players who missed the Niners-GB game missed due to injury- Kittle, Jimmy G, Deebo, Mostert, Wilson. Bourne tested positive and I believe Aiyuk and Williams were deemed close contacts and thus must sit? Were there more? I know the Pack lost Jamaal Williams for the same reason. The Ravens and Titans had several players test positive for several days leading up to their games. Moving them to prevent actively infected players from playing is all that can be done. Vastly different from a player or 2 testing positive and their known close contacts sitting. Again unless I’m wrong about the timeline or severity of those other outbreaks it seems like there were some key differences.
This is the truth right here. 9ers and patriots didn’t continue to have positive tests so they could play the game (short handed unfortunately). Right now there was no way to be sure that all of the ravens players that could play Sunday would be clear so they have to be safe otherwise you could have 2 teams with a ton of positives.

Steeler fans do u really want to play a game 2 days sooner and risk your team getting an outbreak as well or just wait an extra 2 days so they can continue to test the players and make sure the affected players not available

Another bye week? The Steelers haven't had their first one yet, and won't have one the rest of the way. They may not have played in Week 5, but they didn't know that until after they had practiced all week.
🤷‍♂️ They didn't play the game. I get that a real bye week means different schedule for practice. But there's still a big difference between practice and playing a game.

Unless I'm reading old news, the last time an NFL team forfeited was in 1921. 

The next won't be this week.

The dynamics of this game could very well change dramatically if played week 18 vs week 12. 

The Ravens could go from playing the Steelers short handed in a game that is very important to both teams to a game where they have all of their starters back, playing a Steelers team that has nothing to play for and resting their stars.

That’s quite a swing of good fortune for a team that messed everything up.

I don’t think there should be a forfeit but I also don’t think the Ravens should be rewarded either.

The dynamics of this game could very well change dramatically if played week 18 vs week 12. 

The Ravens could go from playing the Steelers short handed in a game that is very important to both teams to a game where they have all of their starters back, playing a Steelers team that has nothing to play for.

I don’t think there should be a forfeit but I also don’t think the Ravens should be rewarded either.
That’s a weird way to look at it. I get that the Steelers fans want the layup and get to play a short handed team. But you can’t compare that as the same thing as the Steelers just don’t feel like putting in effort if they play week 18. 

That’s a weird way to look at it. I get that the Steelers fans want the layup and get to play a short handed team. But you can’t compare that as the same thing as the Steelers just don’t feel like putting in effort if they play week 18. 
Steelers fans wanted to play on Thursday as scheduled. Then the Ravens staff screwed up and are in danger of not playing at all this week.

I think the Steelers showed they can handle the Ravens full strength just fine.  What we do t want is getting jobbed out of a potential first round bye for a meaningless game that likely would benefit the team that caused the problem in the first place

The Ravens could go from playing the Steelers short handed in a game that is very important to both teams to a game where they have all of their starters back, playing a Steelers team that has nothing to play for and resting their stars.

Steelers fans wanted to play on Thursday as scheduled. Then the Ravens staff screwed up and are in danger of not playing at all this week.

I think the Steelers showed they can handle the Ravens full strength just fine.  What we do t want is getting jobbed out of a potential first round bye for a meaningless game that likely would benefit the team that caused the problem in the first place
Both of these are fair points. Although if they played week 18, they'd probably still get a bye in the first round of the playoffs. 

It seems the week 18 concept isn't going to happen anyway. 

While a forfeit might benefit my NFL team (makes a wildcard slot more likely, if the Titans don't win the division) it doesn't seem right this year. Short of blatant cheating a forfeit doesn't seem right. But if playing increases the chance of spreading the virus (more than any other week), don't play. 

So that seems to leave us with two teams who play 15 games. And a lot of FF owners scurrying to cover starters. (For example, I'll be starting Brandon Allen instead of Lamar or Ben)

I don’t think the NFL had ever said forfeit is on the table. If the game can’t be played it just won’t be, and the teams will have 15 game seasons. Forfeit is just fan talk. 

How does Cleveland manage to get screwed even when things are FINALLY going good for them?

BAL should be playing SUNDAY at the worst. End of story. 

And if this is moved to "Week 18" this is the league basically pandering to their ex-MVP, who they'll do anything to make sure he isnt rg3 v2.0

Although if they played week 18, they'd probably still get a bye in the first round of the playoffs.
I believe if there is a week 18 no one is getting a bye. 

It's actually quite possible the Steeler's will lose their scheduled bye week, lose their anticipated extended break with this weeks game being moved and also lose a first round bye. Two of those 3 things have already happened, just waiting for the that last shoe to drop.

Mark my words we'll see a week 18 game before we see a forfeit because when people keep harping on the violating team forfeiting, such as Ravens in this case, they keep forgetting that a forfeit would lead to a loss of a game check for BOTH teams. That, more then week 18, is what the NFL and NFLPA will be working to avoid at all costs.

It's actually quite possible the Steeler's will lose their scheduled bye week, lose their anticipated extended break with this weeks game being moved and also lose a first round bye. Two of those 3 things have already happened, just waiting for the that last shoe to drop.

Mark my words we'll see a week 18 game before we see a forfeit because when people keep harping on the violating team forfeiting, such as Ravens in this case, they keep forgetting that a forfeit would lead to a loss of a game check for BOTH teams. That, more then week 18, is what the NFL and NFLPA will be working to avoid at all costs.
How would that work? Especially if the Ravens would make the playoffs with a win. I'd assume they'd play week 18, then the playoffs start the next week.

Most likely the game will just be cancelled. Game checks would hopefully be figured out. 

How would that work? Especially if the Ravens would make the playoffs with a win. I'd assume they'd play week 18, then the playoffs start the next week.
I don't the exact details or if NFL has worked them out past the discussions that took place on what they might need to do if they have to have makeup games but the main idea I've heard floated around was if they need to play week 18 they would increase the playoff field from 14 to 16 and reduce the time from end of conference championships to Super Bowl from 2 weeks to one week.

Not to get off subject but throughout all of this I've not been able to understand why the NFL seems to resolute on holding the date of the Super Bowl, that seems to be inflexible. I get fans and a lot of interaction that takes places at the SB but most of that won't be going on this year anyway but I never hear anyone credible report the NFL would consider pushing back the date of the SB. I'm not sure why or if their TV partners are against it but to me this seems like what they should do but don't seem to want to discuss.

I tend to agree. I do wonder if legal accommodations can't be made between the union and the league to compensate the Steelers in such a scenario. Ultimately a forfeit seems orders of magnitude worse on the "unintended consequences of setting such a dramatic precedent" scale compared to some sort of rescheduling hijinks. So far I have heard all kinds of wild speculation on what a week 18 might look like, going back several weeks since this has been a topic. But I have yet to see anything (I haven't looked much TBH) that I would call concrete, believable, or real news from the NFL. I don't especially feel like trying to sift through the noise with it, but now I'm starting to. 

So, forgive me if I'm just ignorant about this but we're not talking about a situation where week 18 would *only* be Steelers-Ravens, would it? And any other potential makeup games. The whole slate would get bumped back a week, no? And so *if* it were the full slate in week 18, then why wouldn't the 1 seed still get a playoff bye? How would the brackets even work without a playoff bye? You *have* to have the WC round first before the 1 seed has a chance to play. 

I don't the exact details or if NFL has worked them out past the discussions that took place on what they might need to do if they have to have makeup games but the main idea I've heard floated around was if they need to play week 18 they would increase the playoff field from 14 to 16 and reduce the time from end of conference championships to Super Bowl from 2 weeks to one week.

Not to get off subject but throughout all of this I've not been able to understand why the NFL seems to resolute on holding the date of the Super Bowl, that seems to be inflexible. I get fans and a lot of interaction that takes places at the SB but most of that won't be going on this year anyway but I never hear anyone credible report the NFL would consider pushing back the date of the SB. I'm not sure why or if their TV partners are against it but to me this seems like what they should do but don't seem to want to discuss.
this more or less answered my question(s) above

Users who are viewing this thread