What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Suddenly Flex Worth RBs Due to Injury/Covid (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e

Footballguy
Lots of late week RB injuries and Covid issues. I've found myself struggling with how to value each in order to make pickup/drop decisions.

In PPR, I'll take a stab at it:

1. B. Hill vs LV -- Great matchup, should get 60% of the snaps, ATL should be able to stay in the game. Added bonus is Gurley who has a history of knee issues could be out a while (pure speculation on my part.

2. N. Hines -- J. Taylor out due to Covid. Great matchup this weekend against TN D he roasted previously. Put him ahead of Wilkins since he's the pass catching back. He's also received goaline carries. Added bonus is Taylor could be out next week as well.

3. B. Snell -- J. Conner out due to Covid. Decent matchup with BALT D line all kinds of banged up. Could split with McFarland. He also should get goaline carries. Conner could be out not just next week but longer due to pre-existing conditions.

4. J. Wilkins -- Again, solid matchup and lightning tends to NOT strike twice with a F. Reich and this backfield. Last time vs TN, it was Hines. Wouldn't surprise me to see Wilkins get 2 TD plunges.

5. M. Breida -- Gaskins is now out. That leaves Breida and Laird I assume against the NYJ.

Could actually include Mostert but I'd think if he's active whoever owns him is automatically starting him unless there's some kind of "easing in" messaging from Shanahan.

How do you rank?

Last edited by a moderator:
I might put Hines and Wilkins 1 and 2? Tremendous opportunity for Hill, but he's such a blank slate.

I own both Wilkins and Hill and have to choose one (.5 PPR). I like Wilkins as TEN has been awful against the run, he figures to see goal line looks and I can't see one back taking all the work.

With Hill, if ATL is behind right away, will he be involved in the pass game? I have no idea.

I would have Hill as 3 if Julio is playing, but behind Snell if Julio is out.

Good thread and analysis.

I would go

1. Hines - As you stated, he smoked the Titans last time for the tune of 115 yards and 2 TD's. Rivers is banged up, and may be looking for the checkdown more often. Big upside.

2. Snell and Hill -  I have them basically tied for second, with maybe Snell getting a slight edge due to the Banged-up Ravens D and no Samuels lurking around. Hill could (and should) have a good game this week, particularly if he catches a few balls, but Itto and Ollison do concern me a bit, and his upcoming schedule is brutal if he remains the starter.

3. Wilkins - Got a real chance to shine here, but just can't forget how Hines abused the Titans linebackers two weeks ago. 

4. Breida - He is so overdue a breakout game, but watch Washington come in out of nowhere and have a good game.

2. Snell and Hill -  I have them basically tied for second, with maybe Snell getting a slight edge due to the Banged-up Ravens D and no Samuels lurking around. Hill could (and should) have a good game this week, particularly if he catches a few balls, but Itto and Ollison do concern me a bit, and his upcoming schedule is brutal if he remains the starter.
Samuels out?

Samuels out?
Yup.

SAT, NOV 28, 4:04 PM  ROTOWIRE.COM

Samuels (quadriceps) has been ruled out ahead of Tuesday's game against the Ravens, Chris Adamski of TribLive.com reports.

Spin: The Steelers were unable to hold an official practice, but they still ruled out Samuels ahead of the Tuesday game. It remains to be seen if the contest will actually happen, especially after James Conner reportedly tested positive for COVID-19, but if the game does take place, expect a major workload for the likes of Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland.

i think Hines is the best option here. After him I would go with Snell, Hill, Brieda, Wilkins.
If it wasn't for the risk of the PIT/Balt game being postponed or cancelled I'd probably agree with Snell being this high, but can't. Think I'd list Hill ahead of Snell, then Wilkins and Breida. The last two feel like the greatest risk for an absolute bust.

Yup.

SAT, NOV 28, 4:04 PM  ROTOWIRE.COM

Samuels (quadriceps) has been ruled out ahead of Tuesday's game against the Ravens, Chris Adamski of TribLive.com reports.

Spin: The Steelers were unable to hold an official practice, but they still ruled out Samuels ahead of the Tuesday game. It remains to be seen if the contest will actually happen, especially after James Conner reportedly tested positive for COVID-19, but if the game does take place, expect a major workload for the likes of Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland.
Wondering if the Steelers might use WR Ray-Ray Mcloud as the “pass catching RB” Tuesday? 

If it wasn't for the risk of the PIT/Balt game being postponed or cancelled I'd probably agree with Snell being this high, but can't. Think I'd list Hill ahead of Snell, then Wilkins and Breida. The last two feel like the greatest risk for an absolute bust.
Agree. Who knows with Breida. Healthy scratch most of the year, and barely played last week. Wilkins is risky w Reich. But that's what yoy are dealt with having to pick for RONA relief 

Anybody rolling out Ekeler?

For Flex I’ve got Ekeler, Dionte Johnson and Chase Claypool. Pittsburgh game still scares me that it might not happen. Not sure how much work Ekeler will get.

I'd put him equal to or above Snell.
Edwards should be a good start with RB1 potential but like Snell, it is difficult to determine if the Steelers - Ravens game is played this week.  Hill would be my choice.  The Raiders D is weak.  

Not only Gaskins but Salvon Ahmed is also OUT making Breida the primary RB.

Dolphins' Matt Breida: More work on tap

Breida is expected to be the Dolphins' primary running back after Myles Gaskin (knee) and Salvon Ahmed (shoulder) were ruled out for Sunday's matchup against the Jets, Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com reports.

There was some hope Gaskin would be activated off injured reserve following his minimum three-game stint, but the team is evidently content allowing Breida to act as the primary ball carrier for at least this Sunday against the Jets. The 25-year-old has seen more than six carries just twice this season and sports a paltry 3.4 yards-per-carry across 39 totes this year, but this figures to be a solid matchup regardless considering the Jets' porous defense. Breida could even be a factor in the passing game, particularly with Ryan Fitzpatrick likely set to start behind center after Tua Tagavailoa (left thumb) was downgraded to doubtful.

Is Hill a good enough option this week to start instead of Montgomery?  Monty isn't very good, but he's the guy in Chicago and the matchup is reasonably good.  

Is Hill a good enough option this week to start instead of Montgomery?  Monty isn't very good, but he's the guy in Chicago and the matchup is reasonably good.  
Just got a little more comfortable with Hill. 

RB Ollison is inactive and he's another big back. With him out, that means Hill is the only active RB that weighs more than 195lbs. Think that means they are comfortable with Hill and he probably gets the goaline carries.

Struggling between Wilkins and Murray. Already starting Kamara bc it feels insane to actually bench him when he might be the reason it potentially turns into a blowout. Thinking of going Murray just to lock down those RB points and make Kamara less frustrating, but Wilkins could blow up (or fizzle) too. 

kyoun1e said:
Just got a little more comfortable with Hill. 

RB Ollison is inactive and he's another big back. With him out, that means Hill is the only active RB that weighs more than 195lbs. Think that means they are comfortable with Hill and he probably gets the goaline carries.
Thanks!  I was trying to decide between Hill and Gallman as my flex and I am going with HIll now that I know that only he and Ito are available.  Plus, LV has a bad run defense.

Wouldn't a factor with Snell be that one would have to be really really confident that the Steelers are actually going to play? You have to make that decision right now and the game is still 60 hours away with new cases every day for both teams.

I'm sure he'll be great if he plays, but that seems like a hard call to make.

Struggling between Wilkins and Murray. Already starting Kamara bc it feels insane to actually bench him when he might be the reason it potentially turns into a blowout. Thinking of going Murray just to lock down those RB points and make Kamara less frustrating, but Wilkins could blow up (or fizzle) too. 
Well, this could bite me, but I went with Murray for the floor. If the Titans can score on this D then it could become a Hines game, and fast. 

Wouldn't a factor with Snell be that one would have to be really really confident that the Steelers are actually going to play? You have to make that decision right now and the game is still 60 hours away with new cases every day for both teams.

I'm sure he'll be great if he plays, but that seems like a hard call to make.
Flexing Snell, with Fulgham as MNF insurance

Users who are viewing this thread