Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Does player safety matter?

12 minutes ago, ICON211 said:

Still waiting to hear what coaches are getting "really sick."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2020/03/30/coronavirus-sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-covid-19/5090291002/

He had flu symptoms, chills, aches and for one day, he said, a low-grade fever. After being tested on March 16, he said the worst of his symptoms had subsided by the time he received confirmation of the test results on March 19.

“You fatigue real easy,” he described of the worst of his symptoms. “I’d be up moving around, doing something, then you’d want to lay down again. That lasted three or four days. By the time I got the test results back I had begun feeling better. I had my appetite back.”

Edited by Razors Edge
11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

To be honest, this now appears to be a rhetorical question and a litmus test as evidence already shows from court filings that the NFL doesnt care and acting as they do shows more of an agenda. 

Player safety includes this virus clearly and quite frankly and sadly, player safety has now been political unfortunately as player safety is determined by the politics of their region like Florida having fans and now SF 49ers in California not being able to play in their own city.

So yes, player safety is political, it seems and this is not just about the virus but about everything it entails, like how players now have a shorter IR because it almost seems the NFL understands that this game has gotten more extreme regardless of rules to police it. Also, I can argue having stadiums with artificial turf is a sign of lack of player safety.

There will be zero long term damage to the NFL.

If the league, players or any fan is really concerned about player saftey there would be no NFL. In the best of times it is a dangerous game where anyone on the field could get a career ending injury any given game.  Look at Dak Prescott for example. A simple 5 yard run might could end his career.  Joe Burrow just tore his ACL, MCL and PCL on one play and is looking at over a year recovery.  That is not counting neck and spinal injuries. Ryan Shazier broke his neck and ended his career on a tackle he has made hundreds of times.  It is the nature of the game.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Da Guru said:

There will be zero long term damage to the NFL.

If the league, players or any fan is really concerned about player saftey there would be no NFL. In the best of times it is a dangerous game where anyone on the field could get a career ending injury any given game.  Look at Dak Prescott for example. A simple 5 yard run might could end his career.  Joe Burrow just tore his ACL, MCL and PCL on one play and is looking at over a year recovery.  That is not counting neck and spinal injuries. Ryan Shazier broke his neck and ended his career on a tackle he has made hundreds of times.  It is the nature of the game.

Facts.

Then why the façade in most cases?

Contact sports wont ever eliminate injuries, people get hurt jogging. Does it come down to lawsuits? Appearance and PR? I wonder because from people who dont watch football, that I do know and am around, they wonder why the season goes on with the news they see on their local news now. So some PR isnt all good.

57 minutes ago, Insein said:

I think the Denver game yesterday shows that there will be no cancellations unless the team has no players to play.

The NFL made an example of the Broncos.  The Broncos didn't follow the proper Covid protocols and the NFL was basically telling them tough that's your fault.  If a team follows all the protocols the NFL will be much more accommodating.  The NFL was sending a message to ALL teams to follow the protocols they put in place.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Facts.

Then why the façade in most cases?

Contact sports wont ever eliminate injuries, people get hurt jogging. Does it come down to lawsuits? Appearance and PR? I wonder because from people who dont watch football, that I do know and am around, they wonder why the season goes on with the news they see on their local news now. So some PR isnt all good.

No facade.  I think everybody who does watch football knows what the NFL is all about.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2020/03/30/coronavirus-sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-covid-19/5090291002/

He had flu symptoms, chills, aches and for one day, he said, a low-grade fever. After being tested on March 16, he said the worst of his symptoms had subsided by the time he received confirmation of the test results on March 19.

“You fatigue real easy,” he described of the worst of his symptoms. “I’d be up moving around, doing something, then you’d want to lay down again. That lasted three or four days. By the time I got the test results back I had begun feeling better. I had my appetite back.”

I guess we have a different definition of what "really sick" is.  I am not going to say the NFL does not care about safety because they didn't cancel the season after a coach got sick in March and had a low grade fever for a day and was fatigued for a few days.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, John123 said:

The NFL made an example of the Broncos.  The Broncos didn't follow the proper Covid protocols and the NFL was basically telling them tough that's your fault.  If a team follows all the protocols the NFL will be much more accommodating.  The NFL was sending a message to ALL teams to follow the protocols they put in place.

That message is a bit unclear because supposedly Baltimore hasn't followed them either and has more cases. 

Just now, ICON211 said:

I guess we have a different definition of what "really sick" is.  I am not going to say the NFL does not care about safety because they didn't cancel the season after a coach got sick in March and had a low grade fever for a day and was fatigued for a few days.  

I tried googling it as well and only found the Dallas coach who was hospitalized for what is being called "a non Covid medical emergency."

40 minutes ago, ICON211 said:

I guess we have a different definition of what "really sick" is.  I am not going to say the NFL does not care about safety because they didn't cancel the season after a coach got sick in March and had a low grade fever for a day and was   fatigued for a few days

I feel the same way if I drink too much on a Saturday.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Didnt know this, it makes it even worse that these players are now forced to play to make money.

This game should be cancelled, not because of players missing, but its a darn certainty some are infected and not showing it but will pass it on, cuz you know...pandemic.

So I have to go to work to make money as well.....if I "opt out" I will be replaced....I spose I could just sit at home in fear, and not make my mortgage payment.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
9 minutes ago, Manster said:

So I have to go to work to make money as well.....if I "opt out" I will be replaced....I spose I could just sit at home in fear, and not make my mortgage payment.

These people who opted out were replaced, but had a union protect them, do you get $500k or whatever like those who opt out do? The union had to fight for that money, proving how the NFL was putting up a fight for that even. 

What does you living in fear and having a mortgage payment have to do with player safety mattering? I do love the comparisons when people compare their job to a sports/entertainment union job that makes millions. 

Reminder, you are not a unionized NFL players, your job is nothing like theirs...they have contracts that are complicated. They dont fill up drinks at a Wendys.

• Laughing 1
1 minute ago, skinsrule05 said:

Same goes for Pitt.  Basically if there is an outbreak on your team you were shortcutting the guidelines.

I still see coaches with masks around their chin. Also, the science now says gators are not good as a replacement for masks. These issues are all complicating issues according to science, not to mention their meetings are indoors.

I think I saw a college team this week do half time outside of a locker room, I think we are at that point.

• Laughing 1
5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I still see coaches with masks around their chin. Also, the science now says gators are not good as a replacement for masks. These issues are all complicating issues according to science, not to mention their meetings are indoors.

I think I saw a college team this week do half time outside of a locker room, I think we are at that point.

The science also says all masks do minimal to no protection against contracting the virus unless they are N95 rebreathers. We were never going to stop the virus from spreading. It was just supposed to slow it down for a bit but even that hasn't really happened. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

These people who opted out were replaced, but had a union protect them, do you get $500k or whatever like those who opt out do? The union had to fight for that money, proving how the NFL was putting up a fight for that even. 

What does you living in fear and having a mortgage payment have to do with player safety mattering? I do love the comparisons when people compare their job to a sports/entertainment union job that makes millions. 

Reminder, you are not a unionized NFL players, your job is nothing like theirs...they have contracts that are complicated. They dont fill up drinks at a Wendys.

Hey man, I don't be spillin or nothin!

We get it.....you think everything should be shut down.  A large portion of the country disagrees.  Maybe you just need to put on your big girl panties and come out of your parents basement.

Edited by Manster
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Insein said:

The science also says all masks do minimal to no protection against contracting the virus unless they are N95 rebreathers. We were never going to stop the virus from spreading. It was just supposed to slow it down for a bit but even that hasn't really happened. 

Nothing you said is true.

7 hours ago, Manster said:

Hey man, I don't be spillin or nothin!

We get it.....you think everything should be shut down.  A large portion of the country disagrees.  Maybe you just need to put on your big girl panties and come out of your parents basement.

Nothing you said is true, and is projection.

Thats the only thing you can say to liars who make up lies.

Edited by Razors Edge
  • Laughing 1
On 11/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, Kevrunner said:

I actually think the NFL has done a great job, all things considered. 

I think they have gotten incredibly lucky.

They were nowhere near the level of organized or prepared like the NHL and NBA. The NFL faces logistic and other issues that other leagues might not have, but even considering those, I can't say the NFL has done a great job, and have been even worse at the hugely variable responses for teams failing protocols.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Well at least my pants aren't on fire.....I just checked

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Nothing you said is true. Did it work?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, rockaction said:

That any of the issues raised here are new to you is a sign of one who has not thought critically about things like the league acting in the best interest of "player safety" beforehand. Your indignation, though, bespeaks something different. It sounds like you held a belief before and now want to take a victory lap with new evidence.

If so, you should have stated it more generally, been more informed about COVID, and just generally taken a different argument tactic than you took. But you also probably knew how welcome that all would be.

eta* Yeah, I see you laughing. You're the troll the troll wanted, and you damn well know it.

Agreed. That's enough on this one. We have other forums where this kind of thing is a hot topic. For this forum, please keep it to NFL and what will happen on the field. 

• Like 1