What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice? (1 Viewer)

Who?

• John G. Roberts, Jr.

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Clarence Thomas

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Stephen G. Breyer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samuel A. Alito, Jr.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sonia Sotomayor

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Elena Kagan

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Neil M. Gorsuch

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Brett M. Kavanaugh

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Amy Coney Barrett

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
One thing for sure is Kavanaugh is the one I would least like to have a beer with. Couldnt trust he wouldnt steal sips of it when I went to the bathroom. Plus he would be all like dude wouldnt you like to boff this and play devils triangle with that. 

Heaven forbid you run late and dude would bust out the calendar and lecture you. 

I'll do it for you, since you're more predictable than the Bears' offense.

1. Thomas

2. Cavanaugh

3. Barrett

4. Gorsuch

5. Alito 

6. Roberts 

7. Breyer

8. Kagan 

9. Sotomayor 
Thomas is in last place for me.  He is the worst since I've been alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for Breyer, who is praised by both sides for being a pragmatist. He often brings balancing gray to the black and white. He doesn't have an overriding constitutional philosophy and he doesn’t seek to squeeze idealogical views into a ruling. He tries to find ways to make government work.

That said, I voted for Justice Sotomayor. She does more to defend the rights of marginalized members of society than anyone else on the current SCotUS, while staying well within what she believes is consistent with the Constitution and precedent. 

No love for Breyer, who is praised by both sides for being a pragmatist. He often brings balancing gray to the black and white. He doesn't have an overriding constitutional philosophy and he doesn’t seek to squeeze idealogical views into a ruling. He tries to find ways to make government work.

That said, I voted for Justice Sotomayor. She does more to defend the rights of marginalized members of society than anyone else on the current SCotUS, while staying well within what she believes is consistent with the Constitution and precedent. 
For what my take is worth as an amateur court watcher with no legal background, Sotomayor is my favorite of the left leaning block.  I feel like she is one of the justices more likely to go with first principles rather than reason backwards from a verdict.  Gorsuch strikes me as similar from the right / libertarian side.

Kagan is the best writer. Roberts is the best decider. Thomas is the most heterodox. Breyer might be the smartest.
I don’t disagree with this. I also really like Roberts’ writing style. 

Quite frankly there isn’t much I don’t like about Roberts. 

I would venture to say 75% of the USA could not name 3 people on the court.  And if they could name any it would only be the last 2.

Are there a lot of left-leaning posters picking right-leaning justices here?  I can’t figure out why Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor are only getting a combined 25% on this board.

Are there a lot of left-leaning posters picking right-leaning justices here?  I can’t figure out why Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor are only getting a combined 25% on this board.
Or maybe, just maybe this board is not the echo chamber many would have you believe - unless Anti-Trump constitutes an echo chamber but thankfully he's just a <redacted so I don't get a timeout>.

Juxtatarot said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I think Roberts is picking up votes from left-leaners.
This is me.  I have a ton of respect for him.  It was between him and Sotomayor.  

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I'm not informed enough to truly make a reasoned vote but Roberts seems level headed.  

My guess is name familiarity.  If you asked this same question of lawyers only I think you’d get different results.  I’d be willing to bet less than one on ten non-lawyers has read a full opinion by the sitting justices.   Same reason I think superior court judges shouldn’t be elected by the public.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Time to whip your peeps into line.

When you think about justices like Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Marshall, Earl Warren, Joseph Story, etc. it makes it really stark how ridiculously thin this group is in terms of competence and gravitas.

When you think about justices like Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Marshall, Earl Warren, Joseph Story, etc. it makes it really stark how ridiculously thin this group is in terms of competence and gravitas.
Gravitas?  Maybe.  Competence?  6 of the 9 are demonstrably competent.

I didn’t vote - I don’t have a favorite because I don’t follow it close enough to have one.

But how does ACB have four votes?  Has she really even done much of anything yet?

Another way to look at it is that these folks weren't subjected to clown-show nomination circuses, and they worked during an era when social media didn't exist, SCOTUS justices didn't do high-profile speaking engagements, and so on.  It was easier for folks to remain distant and project a sense of detached cool-headedness back then.

Same with journalists.  

Breyer trailing Kavanaugh is a travesty.   Another where I'm confused what he could have done to impress anyone.   Is it because he likes beer?

Another way to look at it is that these folks weren't subjected to clown-show nomination circuses, and they worked during an era when social media didn't exist, SCOTUS justices didn't do high-profile speaking engagements, and so on.  It was easier for folks to remain distant and project a sense of detached cool-headedness back then.

Same with journalists.  
Another difference between the justices I called out and the ones today is I don't think anyone could question the provenance of their contribution to the legal landscape before taking the bench as a SCOTUS justice.

Holmes and The Common Law

Marshall and his work as diplomat, congressman, secretary of state.

Warren as att gen and governor of CA and helping forward the UN charter,  and ending segregation of Native Americans and Asian in schools.

Comparing this to the achievements some of the current SCOTUS justices bring to the table and I think there is a stark difference in accomplishments (let alone demenour).

(Story is a different story as he was relatively unproven when given the SCOTUS nod at the ripe age of 32. But he certainly proved himself once taking the bench).

I think Roberts’ reputation is that good. 

He's definitely not dumb. I think a heterodox approach, increasing the diversity of viewpoints in a crowd of nine, is a good thing.
This feels like a glass is half full take.  Which is fine, but Thomas' inconsistency puts him at the bottom for me.   His reasoning is just terrible at times IMHO.

I was still on board vacay for this, but I wanted to chime in and say that I should get to swat any liberal who voted for Roberts in the nose with a newspaper while shouting Shelby County!

Users who are viewing this thread