What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Lynn (1 Viewer)

I don’t even know where to start. Easily the worst coach in the league. How has he not been fired ?!?
I've asked that question many times over the last few years.

The answer: Spanos. One of the worst, if not the worst, owners in the league for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good coordinator who just isn't cut from the HC cloth.  This is the first Chargers game I've watched start to finish this year, and his game management was just appallingly bad.

Good coordinator who just isn't cut from the HC cloth.  This is the first Chargers game I've watched start to finish this year, and his game management was just appallingly bad.
Pretty much every game is like this. They did take the abject stupidity up a notch today, but the abject stupidity is a constant. And lack of discipline. And bad game plans. And lack of preparedness. And...

As a Herbert owner it would be nice to see the Chargers get Bieniemy as their next HC to bring some of the KC offensive philosophy with him.  
This has been the promote genius OC to coach gameplan for decades, yet when a "brilliant" OC becomes a HC it becomes clear his brilliance is usually contingent upon HOF QB play. 

That said ......

Running KC O with Herbert does make sense. :)

This has been the promote genius OC to coach gameplan for decades, yet when a "brilliant" OC becomes a HC it becomes clear his brilliance is usually contingent upon HOF QB play. 

That said ......

Running KC O with Herbert does make sense. :)
Sure that’s a possibility but Andy Reid also has a real good coaching tree so Bieniemy may be the next coach to emerge.  

I know Anthony Lynn is great human, however, he is way over his head with coaching on every phase of his team.  The display and performance by their special team vs. Patriots were exceedingly horrendous.   Too bad that they couldn't hire Joe Judge who made best of everything Giants have.  

I'm not big on firing coaches during a season unless there is a way the change gets me to the playoffs.  So in the NFL or college football, with so few games what's the point?  You aren't really making a statement.  At best you bring in an interim coach and he does sorta OK, but gets canned with all the staff at year end anyway.  I like the idea of making a bad coach go through the motions and press conferences and practices as a punishment.

I'm not big on firing coaches during a season unless there is a way the change gets me to the playoffs.  So in the NFL or college football, with so few games what's the point?  You aren't really making a statement.  At best you bring in an interim coach and he does sorta OK, but gets canned with all the staff at year end anyway.  I like the idea of making a bad coach go through the motions and press conferences and practices as a punishment.
The main reason is you can start your search and hiring process earlier than teams like the Jets who will wait until after the season.

The main reason is you can start your search and hiring process earlier than teams like the Jets who will wait until after the season.
That makes no sense.  The Jets probably started their process 5 weeks ago.  Gase doesn't have to be gone for them to start the process.  Same for Lynn.  He can be in SD while the GM looks at the next option.  

Plus the coaches they want are already on NFL or college staffs, so they are waiting on them until at least the regular season is over, if not later.  I mean if they want Bienemy, they aren't getting him until KC is eliminated.  That could be end of January.  You may get permission to talk to them, but he's probably not leaving until the season is over for KC.

Now a GM is something I'd make a change in immediately.  A new GM could leave a good team at any time and nobody would really care.

Seeing these posts make me wonder if people realize the Fords and the Lions still exist.

I mean, they just fired an equally bad coach.
The Fords suck hard to be sure. But at least they continue to keep the team in Detroit. Spanos is a bad owner in ways beyond just the end result product on the field.

If he was not exposed as a bad head coach before yesterday he got all of his cover ripped away.

Still, I think it's best to let him finish the year. As Brunell4MVP was saying I don't see a benefit. He's not a bad guy,  have heard from a few people he's a very solid guy who is well liked. That only matters in the sense he's not casting a negative pall over the organization. Other then obvious impact of losing I don't think he contributes to a negative culture.

Primary goal for the team should be developing Herbert for ROS or maybe primary goal should be not getting him killed with secondary goal of continuing his development. Unless the decision makers on the team think Lynn is stunting Herbert's growth by remaining as head coach for the last few games it seems like it's best to let him finish out the season.

menobrown said:
If he was not exposed as a bad head coach before yesterday he got all of his cover ripped away.

Still, I think it's best to let him finish the year. As Brunell4MVP was saying I don't see a benefit. He's not a bad guy,  have heard from a few people he's a very solid guy who is well liked. That only matters in the sense he's not casting a negative pall over the organization. Other then obvious impact of losing I don't think he contributes to a negative culture.

Primary goal for the team should be developing Herbert for ROS or maybe primary goal should be not getting him killed with secondary goal of continuing his development. Unless the decision makers on the team think Lynn is stunting Herbert's growth by remaining as head coach for the last few games it seems like it's best to let him finish out the season.
I have 2 concerns.

1) The impact of the constant losing and incompetence on the young players. I have seen it visibly affect Murray (saw him on the bench crying after one of the close last minute losses a month or so ago), and yesterday it seemed like it was starting to get to Herbert as well. Sure they need to be resilient and take care of their own heads and motivation. Still its hard to do that for kids just out of college  when they're trapped in a losing culture. You don't want that to take root, and any kind of change would be helpful in avoiding that. Those two could be franchise corner stones, you don't want to screw them up long term by keeping bad coaches/mentors around longer than necessary. Sometimes change for change's sake is a positive.

2) If you know this guy is done (and they should at this point), there's little to be lost, and potentially something to be gained by seeing what the other people on your staff can / can't do when promoted to higher roles, even interim. Who is worth possibly keeping around long term when you change the head coach? I don't think most of them are worth salvaging, but I wonder about the OC and the QB coach - they haven't completely #### the bed this year, and there have been positives in those areas. It'd be worth seeing what they do without Lynn around in preparation for adjustments heading into next season.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports no head coaching change is "imminent" for the Chargers.

The organization reportedly prefers to evaluate its coaching staff at the end of the year. Lynn, one of the league's most disastrous decision-makers at the head of the table, has gone 8-20 with the Chargers over the last two seasons since leading the team to a conference-best 12-4 record in 2018. Los Angeles has also hit rock bottom on offense over the last month, averaging an abysmal 4.5 yards per play despite having one of the most talented quarterbacks in the league at its disposal. It's entirely plausible the Chargers still hang onto Lynn's contract this offseason since he's highly respected in its front office. If that were the case, the remaining three AFC West teams will rejoice.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 7, 2020, 1:24 PM ET

NFL teams are considering former Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn for their offensive coordinator openings. 

ESPN's Dianna Russini said Lynn "is on a few lists" after being fired by the Chargers, though no teams were named in her report. Lynn went 33-31 in four seasons with the Chargers, going 1-1 in the postseason. Before coaching the Chargers, Lynn served as running backs coach with the Jets, then as offensive coordinator in Buffalo after the team parted ways with Greg Roman. In-game decisions weren't Lynn's bright spot in LA, but perhaps his offensive acumen could land him a job in the coming weeks. 

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Jan 14, 2021, 5:12 PM ET

Just ran across this thread for the first time.

This notion that he is or would make a good coordinator is not grounded in reality. Before becoming head coach of the Chargers, he was an NFL coordinator for less than one season with Buffalo, replacing Greg Roman as OC after 2 games in 2016. The Buffalo offense played pretty well in those 14 games, but that is a small sample, and it was not completely his offense or offensive scheme.

The Chargers offense was pretty good during his tenure, but IMO that was more in spite of him than because of him, and had much more to do with Rivers, Herbert, Allen, Ekeler, et al.

I can't imagine a team hiring him as OC this offseason. RBs coach, sure, but not OC.

Users who are viewing this thread