What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your mt rushmore of sitcoms (1 Viewer)

Not mentioned yet:

Happy days 

Wkrp 

Barney miller 

Hogan's heroes 

3s company 

Soap 

Chico and the man 

Good times 

It's just Seinfeld and The Office for me.  Nothing else comes close enough to warrant an effigy in stone.  

AitF was too preachy for me upon rewatching it. I thought it was a blunt instrument where a skewer is usually better. My parents have described its popularity by saying that audiences, despite how obvious a send-up caricature of a man Bunker was, chose to ignore the preachy and laugh at the bigotry because they couldn't be as bad as Archie. But they also, in the dark recesses of their mind, thought Bunker might be right about certain things and found humor in their own closed-mindedness. 

But that's just what I hear. Like I was saying before I decided to respond, the sitcoms I listed were all of my time as a nascent adult or adult.
The Archie and Edith characters were inspired by Norman Lear's parents.  Norman Lear had a great run of TV shows in the 70's.  

The Gelbart years of M*A*S*H were as good as it gets. The Reynolds/Alda years are why it's not on my Rushmore.

I was in the comedy biz during All In The Family reign. We (the Emerson College crowd and the guys who were doing standup in stripjoints & Chinese restaurants before Boston had comedy clubs) discussed AitF a LOT because it wasn't the least bit funny and had America rolling. We never figured it out...

MTM beat em both by a mile.
I agree. If it's not "...com" it isn't up for the Mount Rushmore of sitCOMs. 

Now the Mount Rushmore of unfunny sitcoms would be another question entirely, maybe just as interesting.

I agree. If it's not "...com" it isn't up for the Mount Rushmore of sitCOMs. 

Now the Mount Rushmore of unfunny sitcoms would be another question entirely, maybe just as interesting.
####, maaaan, i could Himalaya that, mostly cuz i dont find any family comedies funny.

Mount excruciating hackyass Rushmore:

Everybody Loves Raymond

Girls

All in the Family

Sports Night

Except for Raymond, which makes me start clawing at the wallpaper in a painted room, it would be different each time you ask. as you can see, other people liking it is a strong factor in me hating it. i would put South Park, It's Always Sunny & Big Bang up there but i dont wanna be arguing w Gen Ys til the end of time. i'm keeping my lane on black shows. too.

Last edited by a moderator:
####, maaaan, i could Himalaya that, mostly cuz i dont find any family comedies funny.

Mount excruciating hackyass Rushmore:

Everybody Loves Raymond

Girls

All in the Family

Sports Night

Except for Raymond, which makes me start clawing at the wallpaper in a painted room, it would be different each time you ask. as you can see, other people liking it is a strong factor in me hating it. i would put South Park, It's Always Sunny & Big Bang up there but i dont wanna be arguing w Gen Ys til the end of time. i'm keeping my lane on black shows. too.
Actually I was thinking along the lines of very good but not that funny. For instance:

All in the Family

M*A*S*H*

Cosby

Boy Meets World

If I can only fit 4 on the mountain

• The Office
  • King of Queens
  • The Middle
  • Friends
Hard to leave Seinfeld, Roseanne and Cheers off the list, but if I could only watch 4 going forward it would be those 4

ETA: I noticed I'm the first/only one to list The Middle.  If you haven't seen it... HIGHLY recommended.  

While not on my mt Rushmore. I'd like to give honorable mention to I Dream of Jeannie for bringing Barbara Eden to my attention.

If I can only fit 4 on the mountain

• The Office
  • King of Queens
  • The Middle
  • Friends
Hard to leave Seinfeld, Roseanne and Cheers off the list, but if I could only watch 4 going forward it would be those 4

ETA: I noticed I'm the first/only one to list The Middle.  If you haven't seen it... HIGHLY recommended.  
The Middle was the first sitcom, really the first non-reality "grown up" show, my daughter watched with us so it'll always be a favorite of mine.

I am struggling with number 4. 

**** van Dyke

Seinfeld

30 Rock

Community? Malcolm in the Middle? Simpsons? The Office? All too inconsistent. Malcolm in the Middle probably comes closest but honorable mention to all. 

Therefore I think I have to give the 4th slot to Parks and Rec. I'm even surprising myself. 

I've never understood the love for MASH.  The laugh track alone makes it un-watchable for me. 
Same here.  I've forced myself to watch a few episodes of this when my wife has it on, and I find it painfully unfunny and basically unwatchable.  I get that a lot of people like it, but I don't see how a person could possibly enjoy both MASH and, say, Arrested Development.  

Anyway, I'll go with:

• The Simpsons.  Seasons 2 through about 9, give or take, are among the best programming ever to air on television.
  • The Office.  A non-threatening "easy" watch like Friends, only with good characters, good writing, and a little edge.
  • Arrested Development.  Kind of on the opposite extreme of The Office -- the layered humor, long set-ups, and call-backs make this one a little less accessible, but it also makes for more satisfying re-watching.  
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm.  It feels strange listing this one ahead of Seinfeld, but Seinfeld has not aged well IMO and Curb does a better job of showing what might have been had the show not faced network constraints.

tis a touch disheartening to see that The Office is not having aging problems. twas appointment TV for me til Carrell left, but i find even those unwatchable anymore. they were really ahead of the curve portraying workaday Americans as preening weirdos and seething sinkholes of passive-aggression but, now that the entire population have proven themselves to be pain-passers, i find the office characters' games on the world to be excruciatingly antifu. anyone wimme?

tis a touch disheartening to see that The Office is not having aging problems. twas appointment TV for me til Carrell left, but i find even those unwatchable anymore. they were really ahead of the curve portraying workaday Americans as preening weirdos and seething sinkholes of passive-aggression but, now that the entire population have proven themselves to be pain-passers, i find the office characters' games on the world to be excruciatingly antifu. anyone wimme?
Still watch it every day.  Granted after Michael left it went way downhill fast, we still love it.

Yeah, I get pulled into watching episodes of MASH every once in a while when I'm over at my dad's. I've probably watched like 25 or so. Not sure I've laughed once. I'm not old enough to have seen it live, so maybe that's the issue. But I just find it painfully unfunny.

For me....Seinfeld and the Office are slam dunk choices.  I had never watched Curb (so weird, as I'm a HUGE Seinfeld fan) until quarantine back in March. But it makes my list now. Larry is my spirit animal.

The 4th spot is a tough one.  If we're including animated shows, I'd probably have to choose South Park. Obviously they have the occasional stinker, but I grew up on the show and it still makes me laugh like an idiot at times (even now, pushing into my late 30's).

If no animated shows.....I guess I'd choose Big Bang. I get that its not for everyone and some will mock it but I think the writing was incredibly clever and Parsons did an amazing job carrying it.
curb is fantastic and you are missing out.  its great stuff

so it sounds like you do think it hasn't aged well ...right?  

I think?  

...and no, not for me.  Certainly isn't as fresh but that just comes with having seen them all, most of them several times

Creed is awesome.  

Seinfeld

cheers

the office

threes company

ETA - yeah curb and married with children are both ahead of threes company 

Anyway, I'll go with:

• The Simpsons.  Seasons 2 through about 9, give or take, are among the best programming ever to air on television.
  • The Office.  A non-threatening "easy" watch like Friends, only with good characters, good writing, and a little edge.
  • Arrested Development.  Kind of on the opposite extreme of The Office -- the layered humor, long set-ups, and call-backs make this one a little less accessible, but it also makes for more satisfying re-watching.  
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm.  It feels strange listing this one ahead of Seinfeld, but Seinfeld has not aged well IMO and Curb does a better job of showing what might have been had the show not faced network constraints.
I'll take what are four shows I've never seen one full episode of, Alex.

:bag:  

Users who are viewing this thread