What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christmas Lights/Decorations (1 Viewer)

Do you put lights/decorations on the outside of your house and/or trees?

• Yes, I go full Griswold

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Yes, throw out a few net-lights on the bushes and call it good

Votes: 56 46.3%
  • Yes, I do inflatable snowmen, Santa, etc...

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Yes, I hire it done

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Bah-Humbug

Votes: 30 24.8%

• Total voters
Ours are about the same as the above, but the extent of my jobs are to haul the bin up from the basement, take it back down, carry the christmas tree into the house, and help get it in the stand. My wife does the rest.

I used to spend hours getting frustrated winding lights around 5-6 trees in my yard.  They grew to the point where I couldn't really get to the tops of a few and that was it.  I had a landscaping company that my neighbors used come out and quote the job.  They make you buy their special lights and store them for you in the offseason.  I saw the price $3,000 and thought it was crazy and then noticed that was a single line item for the largest tree.   :o

I liked a couple other houses that had wreath / candle window decorations so went with that instead.  Made a project of it with the kids and hit the craft store.  Ten fake wreaths, ten red bows, one spool of ribbon, ten candle lights with the built in timers, and half a glue stick in the hot glue gun and we were all decorated for around $100.  Putting them up each year takes about 30 minutes and I don't even have to go outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a guy come hang the exterior lights - $250 well spent, I'm not getting up on the highest parts of the roof (about 35-40 feet up).  And I don't really have a ladder for it anyway.  I did do the wreaths in each window, snowman family with white trees in the front bed and two inside Xmas trees.  I like simple, classic looks and while the snowmen are borderline the rest of the house looks great.

Used to wrap the bushes/hedges out front with lights...finally ponied up for some LED net nights this year, 12 sets, and I'm wondering why it took me so long.  Net lights FTW.

We also do a big 4' wreath above the front entrance.  I re-wrapped that with LED's this year too to match the net lights.  Pain, but I figure I won't have to do it again for a decade or more.

Had a guy come hang the exterior lights - $250 well spent, I'm not getting up on the highest parts of the roof (about 35-40 feet up).  And I don't really have a ladder for it anyway.  I did do the wreaths in each window, snowman family with white trees in the front bed and two inside Xmas trees.  I like simple, classic looks and while the snowmen are borderline the rest of the house looks great.
That sounds, Clark. Especially the two fitty part.

Ours are about the same as the above, but the extent of my jobs are to haul the bin up from the basement, take it back down, carry the christmas tree into the house, and help get it in the stand. My wife does the rest.
I barely even do that much.  Wife gets the fake tree up and she and the kids decorate with ornaments.  And we have a ton of indoor decorations.

Wife puts up a string of lights on our fence and this year we got some of those those tree shapes with lights and a little "net" for on the lawn.

I don't have to do any of it.  So I guess "Bah Humbug?".  I like the season and having decorations out, I just don't like having to deal with them.  :lol:  

Just had our laser lights stolen from our front yard.  Apparently the SOB's have been making the rounds around these parts.  Crazy since I live in Gunville.  Literally every neighbor is heavily strapped and would probably shoot someone for stealing anything our their yards.   I hope whoever stole them gets eyeball cancer and rots in hell.  Merry Christmas.

Just like my lawn - no aspirations to be the best on the block, but do just enough to not be a slacker. 
This, only by "do just enough" I mean pay someone else to do just enough.

I don't understand the idea of paying for someone else to decorate my house.

ETA:  I do the bare minimum (string lights across the bottom gutter line of my house) but I would rather just not do anything than pay someone to do it.

Similar concept to landscaping, no? If I can make $50-100/hr why would I do something myself that I can pay someone $15-25/hr to do?
Because its Christmas decorations that are up for a couple weeks vs something that is maintained year round?

Because its Christmas decorations that are up for a couple weeks vs something that is maintained year round?
I’m confused. Regardless of how long they’re up for it still takes x amount of time to put them up and take them down so the hourly rate equation doesn’t change...

ETA:  I do the bare minimum (string lights across the bottom gutter line of my house) but I would rather just not do anything than pay someone to do it.
I'm assuming you are referencing my post?  Why pay anybody to do anything you could do?  My wife and I like the house decorated - I have money, I don't want to injure myself on a ladder that high up (and I don't really even have a big enough ladder already).  Sounds like you just don't care about the house being decorated that much - which I totally get.  In years gone by (read when I was younger) - I felt pretty much that way.  Now, I really like it.

We remedied that by putting them up a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and probably won't take them down until January  :P

I'm assuming you are referencing my post?  Why pay anybody to do anything you could do?  My wife and I like the house decorated - I have money, I don't want to injure myself on a ladder that high up (and I don't really even have a big enough ladder already).  Sounds like you just don't care about the house being decorated that much - which I totally get.  In years gone by (read when I was younger) - I felt pretty much that way.  Now, I really like it.
I don't think its worth the money but i guess if its a treat for you I get your take and understand the treacherous heights that could be encoutered.

I confirm that I just don't care much about a decorated house.

I’m confused. Regardless of how long they’re up for it still takes x amount of time to put them up and take them down so the hourly rate equation doesn’t change...
It's not the money rate part its the spending money on such a minimally used commodity.  Its just not worth it to me.

I usually put some lights on the small evergreen in front and a wreath on the door. Nothing inside. Probably wont do anything this year since we're leaving the day after Christmas for all of January.

Ugh....One of those people....just leave them up all year then.  Hahahahhaa. 😝
I think my wife is nuts.  To me, Xmas decorations should go up the weekend after Thanksgiving and put away between Xmas and New Years or at worst the weekend after New Years.

AAABatteries said:
We got a quote too....

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. 

I was floored. 

We got a quote too....

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. 

I was floored. 
First quote we got was about $1,000.  I said no f'n way.  Found this guy who looked like Uncle Jack from Breaking Bad - $250 to put up, $100 to take down.  I said as long as you don't murder me for drug money you have a deal.

First quote we got was about $1,000.  I said no f'n way.  Found this guy who looked like Uncle Jack from Breaking Bad - $250 to put up, $100 to take down.  I said as long as you don't murder me for drug money you have a deal.
Man I need to find one of those guys. My niece in Texas said she paid 250 too. 

Not sure how to vote. Do I vote for a normal year, or do I vote for THIS year? Neither the wife nor I have any interest this year, so it will be bare minimum effort. But that isn't the norm.

I pay $1000 to have mine done and I don’t regret it.  I wouldn’t do it otherwise.  They install, maintain (replace bulbs, etc), take down, and store.  I am a DIYer most of the time but I draw the line at climbing tall ladders and freezing my cheeks off.  Ain’t happening.  Happily pay the $ to have someone else do it

I pay $1000 to have mine done and I don’t regret it.  I wouldn’t do it otherwise.  They install, maintain (replace bulbs, etc), take down, and store.  I am a DIYer most of the time but I draw the line at climbing tall ladders and freezing my cheeks off.  Ain’t happening.  Happily pay the $ to have someone else do it
I could think of much better things to spend $1000 on and if that was the cost I just wouldn't do anything.  That seems way too expensive ($250 per week if they are up for a month) for what you get.

ETA:  but to each their own.  Just not my thing.

Last year I bought permanent LED lights.  Can set them with a timer with any colors/movement you want.  Works off an app on my phone.  It’s been fun having them for football games, 4th of July, Halloween, Dodgers World Series....lifetime warranty on everything.  Never have to pay or climb a ladder again to put up lights or even replace a bulb.

We remedied that by putting them up a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and probably won't take them down until January  :P
Ugh....One of those people....just leave them up all year then.  Hahahahhaa. 😝
:shrug:  Nothing wrong with putting them up before Thanksgiving.. Just don't turn them on until then.. We have ours turned on from Thanksgiving night to New years day.

Also, with our winters here, the ground is frozen so anything in the ground is staying there until February or March.

:shrug:  Nothing wrong with putting them up before Thanksgiving.. Just don't turn them on until then.. We have ours turned on from Thanksgiving night to New years day.

Also, with our winters here, the ground is frozen so anything in the ground is staying there until February or March.
Then why ever take them down?  Just keep them off all year except Thanksgiving to New Years.  You save on the yearly put up and take down costs.  Win-Win.

I like simple look.  I do all red and white.  I've always wanted to do more but just never do.  It's bad enough having to replace 50% of the strands from the previous year.  But this thread has motivated me.  Just bought some strands of C7 lights that I will string along the garden edges.  

The guy before me had hooks under the eaves, so I can put the lights up around the house fairly quickly.  I have accumulated enough strings for the bushes where I am on my way to Griswold status.  I have a few inflatables out back on the pavers, but don't want them in my front lawn.

Then why ever take them down?  Just keep them off all year except Thanksgiving to New Years.  You save on the yearly put up and take down costs.  Win-Win.
:shrug:  Only cost is time... and no way am I leaving the Snowmen/Deer/sleigh etc. up all year..
Not to mention I have to wind up all the extension cords running all over the yard any ways, so might as well remove everything.

Also, the weather up here is usually only 30 to 40F for highs during the first weeks of November with no snow to ski on.. Putting up the decorations gives me something to do outside when there is nothing else to do until it snows.

Users who are viewing this thread