What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wikipedia is hurting for cash (1 Viewer)

I’ve been donating the $3/mo for a few years now. Kinda bitter than I still get the adds served up. 

Been donating annually for a while.  I'm torn - on one hand, I feel bad that they are operating donation to donation...on the other hand, I really appreciate that I don't have 10,000 click-bait ads and other junk when I'm trying to read about the best medieval torture methods ever used, or getting random facts about Menudo.  

I feel like with all the hits they get, there must be a happy medium to keep them in business without donations, but still achieve the goal of the site...

As much as i love the no-ads thing, would have no issue if they added one unobtrusive ad on their pages.

Having to rely on donations to keep operating has gotta suck.

It makes sense but I disagree except as an absolute last resort.  I wouldn’t want advertisers to have any possible leverage over the information presented on the site.  
I would assume Wiki would be very clear to the advertisers that they would have no influence over any content or information on their site.  Guess down the road it could happen naturally.  Not sure how "clean" Wiki could keep things in that regard though.

I would assume Wiki would be very clear to the advertisers that they would have no influence over any content or information on their site.  Guess down the road it could happen naturally.  Not sure how "clean" Wiki could keep things in that regard though.
I’m sure they would, but it’s all well and good until an advertiser threatening to pull funding is all that stands between you and insolvency

Just realized I should send them a "tip" from my Brave Rewards BAT account.  I've been hoarding what I've earned so far (even though it's not much) in case the couple of sites where I spend a decent chunk of my time ever get verified to accept tips.  I didn't think of Wikipedia because I don't use it much, but when I do it really comes in handy.

It's like PBS.   When you deliver something for free at the start, you'll be begging for money forever.  I mean, I'm not paying a penny for my Rick Steve's Europe tours.

Last edited by a moderator:
As opposed to you and I adding whatever we want?
In my experience, it doesn't quite work that way. There is a process, and there's some pretty solid "is there a valid cite?" vetting. I've tried to create/edit wiki pages for clients, and it's not exactly "hey, anyone can edit this and say whatever".   

They should just stop giving away free advertising. Here's the Coca Cola page. Why not have Coke pay to have their logo there? Why give them that free? Or, maybe allow a company/brand/product to put something on their own wiki page for a price?

Users who are viewing this thread