Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Wikipedia is hurting for cash

Been donating annually for a while.  I'm torn - on one hand, I feel bad that they are operating donation to donation...on the other hand, I really appreciate that I don't have 10,000 click-bait ads and other junk when I'm trying to read about the best medieval torture methods ever used, or getting random facts about Menudo.  

I feel like with all the hits they get, there must be a happy medium to keep them in business without donations, but still achieve the goal of the site...

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

As much as i love the no-ads thing, would have no issue if they added one unobtrusive ad on their pages.

Having to rely on donations to keep operating has gotta suck.

It makes sense but I disagree except as an absolute last resort.  I wouldn’t want advertisers to have any possible leverage over the information presented on the site.  

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

It makes sense but I disagree except as an absolute last resort.  I wouldn’t want advertisers to have any possible leverage over the information presented on the site.  

I would assume Wiki would be very clear to the advertisers that they would have no influence over any content or information on their site.  Guess down the road it could happen naturally.  Not sure how "clean" Wiki could keep things in that regard though.

Just now, ILUVBEER99 said:

I would assume Wiki would be very clear to the advertisers that they would have no influence over any content or information on their site.  Guess down the road it could happen naturally.  Not sure how "clean" Wiki could keep things in that regard though.

I’m sure they would, but it’s all well and good until an advertiser threatening to pull funding is all that stands between you and insolvency

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

As opposed to you and I adding whatever we want?

• Laughing 1
39 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

Urban legend

Snopes says i was the invention of a 14yo girl from West Covina,. but i can make it rain, #####, so dont worry bout me.

ETA: nufced

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 4

Just realized I should send them a "tip" from my Brave Rewards BAT account.  I've been hoarding what I've earned so far (even though it's not much) in case the couple of sites where I spend a decent chunk of my time ever get verified to accept tips.  I didn't think of Wikipedia because I don't use it much, but when I do it really comes in handy.

17 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

As opposed to you and I adding whatever we want?

In my experience, it doesn't quite work that way. There is a process, and there's some pretty solid "is there a valid cite?" vetting. I've tried to create/edit wiki pages for clients, and it's not exactly "hey, anyone can edit this and say whatever".