What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AppleTV is it worth getting? (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So I recently purchased a new IPHONE through my carrier Verizion and they are offering a free yr of AppleTV within 90 days I purchased the phone. I was wondering if it's worth the free year? I'm not even sure I'd use it enough to get the value out of it. Right now my back catalogue of stuff to watch is jammed packed and I've work a lot of hrs the last few weeks. I work part time usually getting 30 hrs but with pandemic and holiday the past 2 weeks along I've got almost 100 hrs logged in total which is a lot. I just don't know with my back catalogue if getting this is worth it. Right now I barely have 1 day off off work. So is there anything worth watching APPLETV wise. 

For those wondering I ended up with the iPhone XR. My 6S was having battery issues and I wanted more space on my phone have a 16GB. The XR for all purposes had the best battery life out of the iPhones I wanted and was at a manageable price with the salary I receive plus other expenses I have 

So I recently purchased a new IPHONE through my carrier Verizion and they are offering a free yr of AppleTV within 90 days I purchased the phone. I was wondering if it's worth the free year? I'm not even sure I'd use it enough to get the value out of it. Right now my back catalogue of stuff to watch is jammed packed and I've work a lot of hrs the last few weeks. I work part time usually getting 30 hrs but with pandemic and holiday the past 2 weeks along I've got almost 100 hrs logged in total which is a lot. I just don't know with my back catalogue if getting this is worth it. Right now I barely have 1 day off off work. So is there anything worth watching APPLETV wise. 

For those wondering I ended up with the iPhone XR. My 6S was having battery issues and I wanted more space on my phone have a 16GB. The XR for all purposes had the best battery life out of the iPhones I wanted and was at a manageable price with the salary I receive plus other expenses I have 
How much use do you need to get out of it to make it worth the nothing it’s going to cost you?

I did the free year. I’m going to cancel soon. I know it was in December so I need to look it up. Suspiciously enough, I could have sworn that I created a calendar event for it and my iPhone seems to not have it anymore.

We got the free year...no reason not to for you. Just set a reminder to cancel in a year.

There's not a lot of content available without additional purchase- it's more of a store than an actual streaming site. But there are a couple things worth watching...you'll love ted lasso. Iirc there was an alt-history space race show that was quite good too (may have been another platform) and a couple other shows. You'll be done with them in a month or two. 

So I recently purchased a new IPHONE through my carrier Verizion and they are offering a free yr of AppleTV within 90 days I purchased the phone. I was wondering if it's worth the free year? I'm not even sure I'd use it enough to get the value out of it. 
I’m curious how you’re doing the cost/benefit math here. 

my take so far:

Morning Show: my wife says it’s good

See: terrible

Beastie Boys: massive disappointment 

Greyhound: good

Ted Lasso is in the hopper, reports are positive. 

For free there are some good shows.  Ted Lasso, Greyhound, For All Mankind.  I watched Morning Show and it was ok.  Started See, but dropped out real quick.

If it wasn't free, I wouldn't subscribe.  I have my cancellation set on my calendar. 

For free there are some good shows.  Ted Lasso, Greyhound, For All Mankind.  I watched Morning Show and it was ok.  Started See, but dropped out real quick.

If it wasn't free, I wouldn't subscribe.  I have my cancellation set on my calendar. 
That's the one I mentioned. I really enjoyed it.

Not seeing the downside of free

bcdjr1 said:
How much use do you need to get out of it to make it worth the nothing it’s going to cost you?
I'd like to get somewhere with in a few months use for it. I have till like end of February for the offer so maybe by then I wouldn't be so backlogged 

El Floppo said:
We got the free year...no reason not to for you. Just set a reminder to cancel in a year.

There's not a lot of content available without additional purchase- it's more of a store than an actual streaming site. But there are a couple things worth watching...you'll love ted lasso. Iirc there was an alt-history space race show that was quite good too (may have been another platform) and a couple other shows. You'll be done with them in a month or two. 
Yeah Ted Lasso was the only thing I was interested in maybe doing 

CletiusMaximus said:

my take so far:

Basically is there even enough content to at least consider watching it for free. Ted Lasso seemed like the only thing so far. Thought I saw some Space military/war theme show or movie for it but could've been another platform 

I don’t get the point of agonizing over something that’s free for one year - there is zero downside so long as you cancel before the year runs out.

I just got an IPhone last weekend, and I went ahead and signed up for the free year, but I haven't watched anything yet.  I figured the Hanks WWII movie would be worth a watch.  I love a good free trial, although I also like to wait for the half-off sales at Dollar Tree.  

I don't know if it's still an offer but a while back I took advantage of this...

Got Apple TV+ for free from Verizon for a year.

Had signed up for CBS All Access so my kid could watch latest of Criminal Minds. I think it was $10 a month? Decided to keep at least for a while as i got into the latest Star Trek (which is great by the way).

Then saw they had a bundle offer of CBS All Access and Showtime streaming service for $10 a month total if you buy under Apple TV. So I cancelled the stand alone CBS and have the bundle as channels under the Apple.TV app.

I'm a huge TV watcher though and I have pretty much all the services. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Apple TV+, CBS All Access, and Showtime. Do I watch enough of each to make it worth it? Probably not. But if I add up my monthly DirecTV package with my streaming services im all in at just under $150 a month. That works for me. If I want to watch something there is little I can't find.

I was probably disappointed because my expectations were too high.  I expected more live footage of the band, less Mike D and Ad-rock talking.
I liked that part, tbh.

And even though I can and have said it's flat out bad, I still enjoyed See. In my wheelhouse .

Yes, I recall your love for See.  Hey, I watched it to the end, so who am I kidding? 
"Love" is a little strong. The show is terrible on a lot of levels. 

But yeah...watched it to the end too. I also will rewatch Costner's post apoc oevre every chance possible. They're horrible, and I won't say they're anything but...but still can't get enough of waterworld and the postman.

We liked See. Ted Lasso is great. Watching Tehran. Also watched Trying. Wife soloed Defending Jacob, Truth be Told, Emily and Morning Show. Can't wait for Foundation. May not see it though as once the free year is up, that's probably it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So sounds more like take the free year and then cancel it. I might do the deal next month as I'm backlogged and since I last checked in here I've worked almost over 200 hrs since Thanksgiving doing a part time job. I'm off Fri-Sat which is rare and that might take up most of my time with catching up on my backlog I haven't been able to watch working so much. 

my take so far:

Boys State is good. 

If only there was a way for you to browse and watch some content without having to pay anything. Then you could  decide if it's worth having without losing money. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't get is the remote.  It is maddening.  Super sensitive, making it difficult to navigate.  And yes, I've turned the sensitivity in settings down all the way.  I've read many reviews complaining about it.  I guess if dropped in the wrong area, it can break although that hasn't happened to me.  It's also too small and gets lost more than any remote I've ever had.  Amazon's Firestick, otoh, is so much better.

The sensitivity issue of the trackpad thingy alone, is really bad.  Wife thought it was me, but no.  I'm constantly wondering how Apple, of all companies, put out a remote like this.

Guarantee it gets changed.

I am genuinely shocked at how much I loved Ted Lasso.  Laugh out loud funny, great character development and it just makes you feel happy.  Exactly what I needed after 2020.  He needs an Emmy for this.

Users who are viewing this thread