What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help Me With New Music Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Mr. Know-It-All

Footballguy
So after going through my hundreds and hundreds of CDs - I narrowed down my top 10 artists (yes I know there are many HUGE bands not included in this list - but for whatever reason these are my top 10).  What I am asking is if there are some music experts out there - take a look at this Top 10 and recommend other artists that I might like.  In reviewing my list it is hard for me to define a genre - kind of a mix.

1. Electric Light Orchestra (1)

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd (6)

3. Rush (4)

4. Motorhead (10)

5. ACDC (3)

6. Metallica (5)

7. Smashing Pumpkins (7)

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers (9)

9. Foo Fighters (2)

10. System of a Down (8)

Chronological list, but in parens I rank ordered them.

Hopefully one of you music snobs can diagnose my music palette and provide some similar artists.

One thing to do that's kind of fun is to just enter these 10 bands into a Pandora radio station and see what their algo comes up with.  I have a few Pandora stations I started essentially this way that are now about 15 years old and have hundreds of inputs (thumbup/down) from me.  I know its pretty far from perfect, especially if I enter a bunch of 70's American hardcore bands together with Hank Williams and the Jazz Butcher, but I have discovered lots of new bands this way.

So after going through my hundreds and hundreds of CDs - I narrowed down my top 10 artists (yes I know there are many HUGE bands not included in this list - but for whatever reason these are my top 10).  What I am asking is if there are some music experts out there - take a look at this Top 10 and recommend other artists that I might like.  In reviewing my list it is hard for me to define a genre - kind of a mix.

1. Electric Light Orchestra (1)

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd (6)

3. Rush (4)

4. Motorhead (10)

5. ACDC (3)

6. Metallica (5)

7. Smashing Pumpkins (7)

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers (9)

9. Foo Fighters (2)

10. System of a Down (8)

Chronological list, but in parens I rank ordered them.

Hopefully one of you music snobs can diagnose my music palette and provide some similar artists.
The genre is easy: hard rock. It's pretty much all standard hard rock. Given those bands are all from the  70s-90s, I assume you likely want some newish music.

I would check out the following bands:

Alabama Shakes- Hold On

Big Thief- Not

Arctic Monkeys- I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

Fontaines DC- The Boys in the Better Land

Tame Impala- Elephant

Last edited by a moderator:
Alabama Shakes was a great call, @Ilov80s.

I think you'd dig Halestorm. Start with The Strange Case of... You'll know 4 songs in if they're for you or not.

Okay how have I not heard of Blackberry Smoke - 6 songs in and not a bad song yet.  Really digging them.

Arctic Monkeys also really good so far.

Rammstein listened to 4 songs and really like the sound - but I don't speak German so there's that.  They vaguely remind me of Danzig with a splash of Type O Negative.

ACDC love the new album - same old dependable ACDC sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay how have I not heard of Blackberry Smoke - 6 songs in and not a bad song yet.  Really digging them.

Arctic Monkeys also really good so far.

Rammstein listened to 4 songs and really like the sound - but I don't speak German so there's that.  They vaguely remind me of Danzig.

ACDC love the new album - same old dependable ACDC sound.
Username does not check out.

Rammstein listened to 4 songs and really like the sound - but I don't speak German so there's that.  They vaguely remind me of Danzig with a splash of Type O Negative.
Ha, nice comp...

I haven't listened to them since high school lifting. That sound didn't age well with me, but if German Danzig/Type O is someone else's thing then give them a spin.

Based on what you've listed, I'd try out Kings of Leon. I know everyone got sick of them after Only By the Night was played everywhere but their older and newer stuff both hold up well imo.  Plus they kind of combine the southern rock of Skynyrd, the soaring choruses/pop sensibilities of ELO and the mainstream rock leanings of Foo Fighters.

@Mr. Know-It-All:  after looking at your list, I have more specific suggestions that I am always hyping.  

Based on the metal/Rush bands on your list you are not opposed to prog and with System of a Down can handle a bit on the more abrasive vocals, so my suggestions would be Mastodon and late era Opeth.     Mastodon will be more of that Motorhead, Metallica crunch.   Opeth is more the prog angle late phase and early is is bit heavier with more SoAD abrasive/growl vocals.  I won't bother recommending any of that if you don't like the Opeth songs listed below from the latest few albums.  

MASTODON:

Andromeda

Show Yourself

The Motherload

Oblivion

The Wolf Is Loose

OPETH:

Era

Sorceress

Cusp of Eternity

Heart in Hand

Bleak  <--------  I included this one from their earlier stuff, as it's probably their most known and accessible song from that time.  Most of their songs around then are similar as far at the metal/prog and going back and forth from clean to growly vocals.  

Based on what you've listed, I'd try out Kings of Leon. I know everyone got sick of them after Only By the Night was played everywhere but their older and newer stuff both hold up well imo.  Plus they kind of combine the southern rock of Skynyrd, the soaring choruses/pop sensibilities of ELO and the mainstream rock leanings of Foo Fighters.
Great suggestion. I always forget about them because of how blah their recent stuff ended up being. Broke my heart because I loved their early stuff.

The Bucket

Red Morning Light

Taper Jean Girl

@Mr. Know-It-All how do you listen to music? Youtube? Spotfiy?

Also @Mr. Know-It-All where would you consider your music knowledge to stop? Did you listen to rock music in the aughts with White Stripes, Strokes? Are you familiar with say Wilco or Spoon? Just curious since the bands mentioned as favorites all fall during a 25-30 year period for their primes and we are looking at about 20 years since any of those bands would have been considered new. 

It may help if the OP mentions bands that he doesn’t like and if we are looking for “new” bands.  

The OP list crosses over to many of my favorite bands but a few of the bands are definitely misses for me.  

If old bands are being looked at, VH and Alice In Chains still hold up well for me.  A band from about 10 years ago that is my last favorite band is Volbeat.   I can’t think of any current bands.

Users who are viewing this thread