What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you an alcoholic? (1 Viewer)

How worried are you about your own drinking?

• not worried at all

Votes: 122 52.1%
  • I can see how it would go bad but I'm nowhere near that point

Votes: 22 9.4%
  • I'm a little worried but staying pretty strong most days

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I wasn't worried until you posted this poll

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Friends , family or a significant other has mentioned I drink too much but I'm ok

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I probably drink too much but nobody has confronted me about it yet

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • i probably drink too much, and people I know well have started to mention it

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I definitely drink more than I should but I could stop at any time

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • I definitely drink more than I should but I don't want to stop right now

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • I definitely drink more than I should and I have tried stopping but it's hard

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I definitely drink more than I should and I have tried stopping but I can't

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I am an alcoholic

Votes: 17 7.3%

• Total voters
Another week sober for me, even went to the bar with some friends last night to watch the game. Drank Diet Dr. Peppers while they pounded beers. Woke up fresh this morning and they will be hurting I'm sure. Look at me!

I'm not going to quote you or say your name in this post in case you have second thoughts about posting that but the way you've mentioned your drinking a few times recently... it honestly sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you that you are drinking too much. Now that you're posting in this thread I'll be the guy.

I think you're concerned about your own drinking. I think you're starting earlier and earlier and that's often a bad sign.  I think you might be self medicating because you are unhappy with other things. I think you're letting it interfere with things that are important to you, and risking embarrassing yourself in front of your social group by playing sports while you are half in the bag.  I think it's dangerous to play when you've been drinking and a good way to get yourself or someone else hurt. I'm not trying to break your balls but I've heard you mention some real red flags like overtipping a bartender at noon on a weekday,drinking shots at lunch, or today it sounds like you were eating nothing but bread so you'd have room for wine.

When's the last time you tried taking some time off?
This part jumped off the page at me too, but I wasn't sure how to address it without coming off as a jerk so I decided not to reply.  You did a much better job than what I probably would have managed.

Functional alcoholic but I don't see it as a problem.  I drink a 12 pack a night when I'm not working.  If I drink with friends it goes up to 24.

Functional alcoholic but I don't see it as a problem.  I drink a 12 pack a night when I'm not working.  If I drink with friends it goes up to 24.
Woah.  As someone who drinks a decent amount and is drinking at the moment - that would concern me drinking 24 beers in one day/evening. 

Woah.  As someone who drinks a decent amount and is drinking at the moment - that would concern me drinking 24 beers in one day/evening. 
pretty common in NE Ohio/Western PA where I lived for years.

It is odd that you can typically drink a lot more beer than water, pop, etc.  - have a close friend who has been case to 30 beers a day for years since he retired ...and did about a 12 pack in the work week evenings all the time I worked with him and then the "case plus" deal on weekends.  

He plays golf every day and is still in pretty good shape for mid-70s.  

This used to be me.  And the "functional" part was a lie I kept telling myself.  Sure, I could, but I wasn't good.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty common in NE Ohio/Western PA where I lived for years.

It is odd that you can typically drink a lot more beer than water, pop, etc.  - have a close friend who has been case to 30 beers a day for years since he retired ...and did about a 12 pack in the work week evenings all the time I worked with him and then the "case plus" deal on weekends.  

He plays golf every day and is still in pretty good shape for mid-70s.  
Yeah it is really common in Northwest Ohio  Usually it's watching a game with friend who is an alcoholic and we pound them.

Can I ask why it was a lie?
It's a bit complicated and stretched over many years.  Started when I was young 20's.  Fast forward a bit to when I was mid 30's and a business partner.  Very small manufacturing company that made some custom one off parts.  I handled the finance.

I could do the job and function, and always did what was required of me and never got the business in financial trouble.  But that wasn't enough to just get by and I needed to do a lot more for the business to really suceed.  I'd drink in my office most days.  I'd schedule a lot of business meetings with clients or others we worked with too, but they were really just drinking events at some tavern.  Often would start at lunch and go into the evening.  Was away from the shop a lot, and would keep me away from my family too. 

That was the bigger lie, to my family.  I never missed paying any bills or putting the family in harm, so I always told myself everything is fine.  It was never really fine.  Sure I got by, but I wasn't the person the business needed me to be.  And I certainly wasn't the best husband and father. 

After the business got broke up and we went our separate ways, it got me to change some habits.   Did the cut back and limit thing for a few years.  Kind of worked until it didn't and I'd go on a real bender.  Never knew if it would be a couple of beers, or a couple of sixers, followed up with a trip to the bar.  No work or family issues ever, but mentally I was hurting.  Finally just said enough and have been sober for 3.5 years.  

Users who are viewing this thread