What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High School football player in Texas attacks ref (1 Viewer)

Wow, that was a bad decision by the player. One of those things that can send his entire life in another direction if he’s not careful.

I clicked the link expecting this to be an overly-dramatic shove or something.  Nope.  The kid blindsided and absolutely laid out a guy who probably weighed 50 pounds (at least) less than him.  Lucky he didn't seriously injure the ref.  I'm not fond of criminal charges stemming from sporting events, but this is probably one of the exceptions.

I clicked the link expecting this to be an overly-dramatic shove or something.  Nope.  The kid blindsided and absolutely laid out a guy who probably weighed 50 pounds (at least) less than him.  Lucky he didn't seriously injure the ref.  I'm not fond of criminal charges stemming from sporting events, but this is probably one of the exceptions.
He was treated for a possible shoulder injury and concussion

Wow, that was a bad decision by the player. One of those things that can send his entire life in another direction if he’s not careful.
Sounds like the kid has some issues.  According to the 247 article about the incident, he was also suspended during last year's soccer season for something similar.

Sounds like the kid has some issues.  According to the 247 article about the incident, he was also suspended during last year's soccer season for something similar.
Yeah, I saw that too in the CBS article.  But isn't soccer season the same as football season?  How was he playing soccer?  Maybe it's different in Texas than it is here.

Yeah, I saw that too in the CBS article.  But isn't soccer season the same as football season?  How was he playing soccer?  Maybe it's different in Texas than it is here.
I think so.  They said he got suspended in the 2019-20 soccer season, which would mean a winter season like basketball to me.

I think so.  They said he got suspended in the 2019-20 soccer season, which would mean a winter season like basketball to me.
I played both in high school in SC. Soccer there would start up in Feb

seahawk 17 said:
I am happy to see charges, but punishing the entire team by opting out of the playoffs is wrong.
The team knew the kid was a problem since he was suspended before. I have no issues punishing the whole team. It sucks for the other kids but there’s no way the team and coaches didn’t know about this kid. Clearly they valued his play over making sure he didn’t hurt people so, oh well they all lose out.

Greedo said:
I hate to say it, but I think his life was likely already headed in a bad direction and this likely won’t be his last arrest.

The team knew the kid was a problem since he was suspended before. I have no issues punishing the whole team. It sucks for the other kids but there’s no way the team and coaches didn’t know about this kid. Clearly they valued his play over making sure he didn’t hurt people so, oh well they all lose out.
I'm a bit on the fence with this take.  I do hold the coaches at least partially responsible.  It is their responsibility to control the team and create a climate where events like this don't happen.  But it is hard to argue against giving a kid a second chance and attempt to help steer his life in a positive direction.  As far as what the "team" knew or didn't know is irrelevant, IMO.  The players don't have a say on who's on the roster or who gets the playing time.  That's a tough pill to swallow to hold all of the other kids responsible.  In the end, those are the people hurt most by the punishment (team removal from playoffs, not the potential fallout from assault charges), especially the seniors who are not likely to ever have this sort of experience again.  

I'm a bit on the fence with this take.  I do hold the coaches at least partially responsible.  It is their responsibility to control the team and create a climate where events like this don't happen.  But it is hard to argue against giving a kid a second chance and attempt to help steer his life in a positive direction.  As far as what the "team" knew or didn't know is irrelevant, IMO.  The players don't have a say on who's on the roster or who gets the playing time.  That's a tough pill to swallow to hold all of the other kids responsible.  In the end, those are the people hurt most by the punishment (team removal from playoffs, not the potential fallout from assault charges), especially the seniors who are not likely to ever have this sort of experience again.  
If the kid wasn't kicked out of school, he got his second chance. There's no way he should have ever been allowed on the field in any sport again.

Attacking a ref is not forgivable behavior.

If the kid wasn't kicked out of school, he got his second chance. There's no way he should have ever been allowed on the field in any sport again.

Attacking a ref is not forgivable behavior.
Fair enough, but does anyone here really know the details of the soccer incident?  The word "similar" was used in the article I saw.  That could include a pretty large range of possibilities.  If we are pointing to the past incident, then the district administration is as much to blame as the football coaches.  None of this changes my opinion that the team being pulled from the playoff run is a pretty harsh penalty for all those other kids on the team.

WDIK2 said:

I hope someone can help the kid. Awful scene. But I just hope they don't lock him up and throw him away.

Anyone notice one of the coaches on the blue team when the mess breaks out.   He goes after #6 on the other team like he going to take him out.  Then gets to him and realizes he's a 60+ year old that's gonna get crushed.  Then goes and acts like he's breaking things up.

Users who are viewing this thread