What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Would You Choose? (1 Viewer)

One Item Granted, Which would you choose?

• World Peace

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • Ending Hunger for All

Votes: 26 36.6%

• Total voters
The question of "how" to world peace makes me vote against hunger. 

Every militaristic leader claims to seek world peace. Generally by forcing others to follow their rules. 

not how it works, kids. world peace is oompossible because the opportunity to thrive is still chancy in most of the world. we are only as strong as our weakest link. the first generation of the American middle class felt that in its bones, but it is hardly among our cares anymore. i'd venture to say that is why we are backing up and becoming ever more beset with new ills. we're either in this together or we will fight.

not how it works, kids. world peace is oompossible because the opportunity to thrive is still chancy in most of the world. we are only as strong as our weakest link. the first generation of the American middle class felt that in its bones, but it is hardly among our cares anymore. i'd venture to say that is why we are backing up and becoming ever more beset with new ills. we're either in this together or we will fight.
Read much?

The question of "how" to world peace makes me vote against hunger. 

Every militaristic leader claims to seek world peace. Generally by forcing others to follow their rules. 
Sure but I’m assuming for the poll, we get one or the other.  Seems like World Peace is an obvious answer.

Are you implying that lack of resources is causing hunger? 
Not fully, no.  We in America likely throw away enough food every year to wipe out at least half of world hunger.  I'm just guessing there.  

Logistically speaking, however, financial resources for irrigation, better farming techniques, etc etc could certainly be put to better use than what is spent on national defense.  I'm no expert by any stretch.  Just my initial reaction to the question. 

Oddly, last i saw, the amount estimated as necessary to "eradicate" world hunger is roughly equivalent to the amount Americans spend on their pets.

AAABatteries said:
Sure but I’m assuming for the poll, we get one or the other.  Seems like World Peace is an obvious answer.
Depends what you mean by world peace, and the method used. 

Hypothetically, the UN gains real power and implements a worldwide dictatorship. Any protest is put down by force. No nation attacks another nation out of fear that the other nations would (1) cut off trade and (2) bomb it's major cities.  Is the absence of war "peace"? 

If we're talking "everyone gets along and respects each other, nobody is greedy or feels disrespected, so nobody ever wants to hurt anyone else" then yeah, that's utopia (a pretty solid show btw)

Depends what you mean by world peace, and the method used. 

Hypothetically, the UN gains real power and implements a worldwide dictatorship. Any protest is put down by force. No nation attacks another nation out of fear that the other nations would (1) cut off trade and (2) bomb it's major cities.  Is the absence of war "peace"? 

If we're talking "everyone gets along and respects each other, nobody is greedy or feels disrespected, so nobody ever wants to hurt anyone else" then yeah, that's utopia (a pretty solid show btw)
I guess I was just taking the question at face value and not thinking World Peace might mean one world order (or something similar).

Caesar said:
World peace would free up a crapload of money to feed the people, no?
My first thought was, well, if everyone is fed, is there any real reason to fight?  lol

My first thought was, well, if everyone is fed, is there any real reason to fight?  lol
Religious beliefs, land/borders, defense, the murder of a trespassing boar, abduction of a beautiful woman, chariot racing hooligans, removal off an ear due to smuggling, looting of a patisserie, disputed succession of leadership, immigration, The World Cup, retention of a sacred golden stool containing the spirit of your nation, stolen well buckets, islands full of bird droppings, the right to sell opium, some drunk dude doing something stupid, the election and subsequent non-election of a reality TV "star"?

wikkidpissah said:
I shudder to think if there's another WW. Kids today have nowhere near the internal fortitude and guts that the men in WW1 and WW2 had. 

Users who are viewing this thread