What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snow Skiing (1 Viewer)

Dr. No

Footballguy
Anyone in here ski?    I learned as a kid and have gone a few times to a local "hill" as an adult, but am ready to get my wife and kids into it (7, 5).

We're all set up to do some sessions on the local hill, but Colorado or Minnesota are the nearest "good" destinations to ski.

I skied Copper as a kid, but I'm reading good things about  Loveland and Granby for beginner families.

Anyone in here ski?    I learned as a kid and have gone a few times to a local "hill" as an adult, but am ready to get my wife and kids into it (7, 5).

We're all set up to do some sessions on the local hill, but Colorado or Minnesota are the nearest "good" destinations to ski.

I skied Copper as a kid, but I'm reading good things about  Loveland and Granby for beginner families.
No brainer choice here, Doc.

And if you're willing to come to Colorado I'd recommend coming just a little further west to Utah where the skiing is just as good (or better) as well as closer (to the city) and cheaper.  

I live in the NYC area so local mountains are Hunter in NY, the Vermont mountains, and Camelback.  Vermont has better skiing but it's not just a day trip - you would have to stay overnight coming from NYC.  However, the best place I've been skiing was Whistler in Canada (a couple/few hours outside of Vancouver).  The Rockies in general have great skiing so Colorado or Utah will have some world class skiing.  Much better than our northeast mountains.  I'm kind of jealous.

You will have a good experience in Colorado or Utah.

I lived in breckenridge for 10 yrs. I think keystone is very family friendly, and you can get a decent amount of everything in vail.

I know Utah and steamboat springs are great but just farther than I want to drive. It has to fit into that 10 to 12 hour drive.    So all the main Colorado places are great but I'm not going as far as steamboat or purgatory.

I live in kc.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Utah and steamboat springs are great but just farther than I want to drive. It has to fit into that 10 to 12 hour drive.    So all the main Colorado places are great but I'm not going as far as steamboat or purgatory.

I live in kc.  
See I figure if I was going that far already, I’d go to either of them. Big fan of Steamboat fwiw. I used to live about 2 hours away. So worth it IMO. 

How long are you going for? CO is way better than MN for skiing ( I have lived in both). But the altitude in CO may affect you for a few days - especially if you go to Winter Park. I grew up skiing Loveland, Arapahoe Basin and Breckenridge but haven't been back to any of them for over 20 years. They were all great for families. Back then Loveland and Arapaho's Basin didn't really have local lodging but that may have changed.

For beginners it does not matter, just choose the one with the best package between Copper, Breckenridge, vail, etc. The only one you may want to avoid is Arapaho basin, only because it is the highest elevation out of group.

You will want to look into tubing, ice castles, and other family activities as well. There is the Frisco Adventure park that you can go to, but the tubing at copper mountain looks to be more fun for a 7 year old. Although I am unsure if my 5 year old could do the tubing at Copper mountain, it may be too fast. If that is the case, then Frisco may be a better bet for tubing.

Last year we did a family trip to copper, and we found it was cheaper to stay at the resort due to the free lift tickets. It would have been more expensive to stay at a cheaper hotel in Dillon or Frisco and drive to the hill each day.

I grew up skiing Wyoming and Montana and I have only been to Colorado a couple times to ski, but this has been my experience so far.

😡. Have a trip to Lake Tahoe planned for New Year’s. Will need to cancel due to sip. 

mrs and I deferred our 25th anniversary in September.  We really need a break from everything.

Seems like a pretty easy choice for Colorado. I ski Minnesota and can’t imagine it’s in the same ballpark. There has also been lack of snow in Minnesota this year. I’m skiing Spirit Mountain/Duluth this weekend and many runs are closed due to lack of snow.

I think I have convinced my wife on a 2 week trip. We will go to Denver and stay at my parents. The first week my brother, who also lives in denver, and I will take 2 day trips to loveland pass to snowboard.

The second week we will go to a different resort spend the night and ski two days. I am leaning towards crested butte, but am not sure yet.

I can remote work from anywhere so it will not kill my vacation time.

My brother runs sub 20 minute 5k's. So I have extra motivation to get in shape. I already run 3 days a week, but on Monday I will start the serious workouts. In the past how out of shape I was limited my skiing and snowboarding abilities, so I know how important it is to work out. From past experience running is almost useless, you really need weight training and other exercises. When I was a loser in my 20's I could get in shape by skiing almost every day in November/December, but that is no longer the case, serious workouts are required.

I really wanted to teach my 5 year old daughter to ski this year, but my wife is uncomfortable because of covid and will stay at my parents in denver while we hit the slopes.

I am confident we can stay germ free though: masks, packing our own lunches, wiping everything down when we enter our hotel, etc. I would not want to risk my parents health since we will be staying with them after skiing.

In my opinion, the bigger risk of covid is from other family in denver and not from staying at a hotel, but I do not think I convince my wife of that. My brother in law is a denver police officer andy parents visit with their family every weekend. That carries a much higher risk than us being careful in a hotel. 

I think I have convinced my wife on a 2 week trip. We will go to Denver and stay at my parents. The first week my brother, who also lives in denver, and I will take 2 day trips to loveland pass to snowboard.

The second week we will go to a different resort spend the night and ski two days. I am leaning towards crested butte, but am not sure yet.

My brother runs sub 20 minute 5k's. So I have extra motivation to get in shape. I already run 3 days a week, but on Monday I will start the serious workouts. In the past how out of shape I was limited my skiing and snowboarding abilities, so I know how important it is to work out. From past experience running is almost useless, you really need weight training and other exercises. When I was a loser in my 20's I could get in shape by skiing almost every day in November/December, but that is no longer the case, serious workouts are required.

I really wanted to teach my 5 year old daughter to ski this year, but my wife is uncomfortable because of covid and will stay at my parents in denver while we hit the slopes.

I am confident we can stay germ free though: masks, packing our own lunches, wiping everything down when we enter our hotel, etc. I would not want to risk my parents health since we will be staying with them after skiing.

In my opinion, the bigger risk of covid is from other family in denver and not from staying at a hotel, but I do not think I convince my wife of that. My brother in law is a denver police officer andy parents visit with their family every weekend. That carries a much higher risk than us being careful in a hotel. 
I’ve found hiking and trail running to be be really effective exercises to prep for skiing. What dates were you considering going to CO?

As for the OP, I’d go to the closest ski hill and get everyone several days of lessons. Even though any non-Rockies ski destination will suck in comparison to CO/UT, it won’t really matter until your family is comfortable skiing intermediate (blue) or harder runs. Just make sure they have good equipment, especially warm/waterproof clothing and well-fitting boots - this will make or break their initial experience.

If they like it, schedule a Rockies vacation next season. If you’re driving, there’s no need to go all the way to UT.  I prefer Vail over most of the CO resorts, though intermediate skiers will have a blast at any of the big name places. Eldora and Winter Park are further east than the others, but are a little less developed than places like Breckenridge and Vail. Steamboat, Crested Butte, Telluride and Aspen all involve extra driving that probably isn’t worth it.

I’ve found hiking and trail running to be be really effective exercises to prep for skiing. What dates were you considering going to CO?

As for the OP, I’d go to the closest ski hill and get everyone several days of lessons. Even though any non-Rockies ski destination will suck in comparison to CO/UT, it won’t really matter until your family is comfortable skiing intermediate (blue) or harder runs. Just make sure they have good equipment, especially warm/waterproof clothing and well-fitting boots - this will make or break their initial experience.

If they like it, schedule a Rockies vacation next season. If you’re driving, there’s no need to go all the way to UT.  I prefer Vail over most of the CO resorts, though intermediate skiers will have a blast at any of the big name places. Eldora and Winter Park are further east than the others, but are a little less developed than places like Breckenridge and Vail. Steamboat, Crested Butte, Telluride and Aspen all involve extra driving that probably isn’t worth it.

I think last 2 weeks in February, I would rather go the last week in February and the first week in March but I am worried about Spring break.

Are you going?

I think last 2 weeks in February, I would rather go the last week in February and the first week in March but I am worried about Spring break.

Are you going?
Still in the planning stages, but we bought the Epic pass and should be vaccinated by our usual Feb trip to Vail. Was also planning another trip to Sun valley. 

:lmao:   

do not try and teach your kid.  put her in ski school.  trust me.  my daughter(14) shreds the gnar.  i put her in ski school at least twice, every year,  7-12

run some hills.  do a grip of single leg exercises.  you know the drill.

and ,if you're not in shape, running will still help.

interesting timing for this topic. I've only snowboarded 1x. It was fun but I was not good at it. My wife has no interest in skiing bc she fears getting hurt

My kids are 14 and 10 and with Covid really shutting down everything indoors, I was wondering if taking up skiing would be a good, safe outdoor activity for me and the kids?
We live on Long Island NY so the nearest mountain is a bit of a ride, but I'd do it just to do something to. 

So are mountains safe for a few neewbs? If we take some lessons, can they do it with some distancing? I'm assuming its pretty easy to ski with a mask on, and if cold enough you would be wearing something over you face for the cold anyway. 

Are there non-skiing things that we could do with my wife who doesn't want to actually ski? 

I'm really looking for things to do as a family during these crazy times.

My kids are 14 and 10 and with Covid really shutting down everything indoors, I was wondering if taking up skiing would be a good, safe outdoor activity for me and the kids?

So are mountains safe for a few neewbs? If we take some lessons, can they do it with some distancing? I'm assuming its pretty easy to ski with a mask on, and if cold enough you would be wearing something over you face for the cold 
Both slopes I’ve gone to had mask requirements. It seems like it should be safe since wearing skis forces 6 foot distancing. It probably depends a bit on the operations of the slope you go to. The place we went this weekend only had one lift running the first 2 hours, which resulted in long zipper-merge lines for a lift. Gotta admit, being in a 10 minute lines with people panting after a run was not ideal. More than a few staff reminders to those wearing masks as chin diapers in the lines, but most were compliant. Much better with 30 second lines when other lifts got going.

We didn’t go into the chalet. Probably some need for that added risk if you are renting equipment.

Crested Butte rocks, but if the the Headwall and North Face aren't open - and nightlife isn't an option - it's not really worth the additional drive, imo.

For the OP, I agree with Dillon/Frisco as a base and then you can have your pick each day depending on conditions. One mountain can get 10 inches, while the others get little to nothing. As for altitude, I've never had a problem on the hill beyond just being a little short of breath here and there. Maybe a bit light-headed. But nothing that had much of an impact. My biggest issue with the altitude is sleeping. I cannot sleep for #### above 9k feet.

Both slopes I’ve gone to had mask requirements. It seems like it should be safe since wearing skis forces 6 foot distancing. It probably depends a bit on the operations of the slope you go to. The place we went this weekend only had one lift running the first 2 hours, which resulted in long zipper-merge lines for a lift. Gotta admit, being in a 10 minute lines with people panting after a run was not ideal. More than a few staff reminders to those wearing masks as chin diapers in the lines, but most were compliant. Much better with 30 second lines when other lifts got going.

We didn’t go into the chalet. Probably some need for that added risk if you are renting equipment.
offa that is not ideal and def want to avoid that. 

IDK if it matters but I would mostly be confined to the smaller hills. Not sure if they use the same lifts wherever I would go. 

As for rentals, good point. I might consider renting gear locally to avoid a lot of people getting/returning them in mass. 
thanks

DA RAIDERS said:
:lmao:   

do not try and teach your kid.  put her in ski school.  trust me.  my daughter(14) shreds the gnar.  i put her in ski school at least twice, every year,  7-12

run some hills.  do a grip of single leg exercises.  you know the drill.

and ,if you're not in shape, running will still help.
Sorry, i meant I wanted my daughter to learn how to ski this year. No way I teach her, putting her in a ski school will be more fun for her and will allow me time to do the type of skiing I want to do.

I am in shape, I am a jogger, however I am going to start doing strength exercises for the legs.

Haven't done the family ski type trip in 20+ years, but here's a couple things that I think should still be considered.

Ski school with a really good reputation for what your kids need, e.g. age specific, skill/interest specific.
If skiing the same place a few days in a row. Consider ski in - ski out lodging. I've always done this and I think it's really a good idea now if you want to avoid the infected crowds at lunch.

I've lived in Winter Park, CO for 25 years, and have skied most notable mountains on the West Coast, so I can speak somewhat intelligently about them if you have specific questions, but advice already given is spot on.

One thing I can add is that most resorts have become way more strict in trying to deal with COVID this year, including potentially completely shutting down for a while (which I heard Tahoe just did), so make sure you check for refund policies before dropping a bunch of coin on reservations.  But reservations are also required at almost all resorts I know of in CO this year, including for lift tickets and ski school, so you need to plan further ahead of time than usual.

Lastly, I wouldn't try to teach any young kid to ski in Colorado in the months of December/January/February this year (coldest months) because the normal spots on the mountain to warm up are closed and have long wait lines just to get in, and you can't rent lockers so you need to put on boots at your car.  Trust me, nothing makes a kid hate skiing more than being cold, having to wait in lines, or having to walk long distances in their boots.

One thing I can add is that most resorts have become way more strict in trying to deal with COVID this year, including potentially completely shutting down for a while (which I heard Tahoe just did), so make sure you check for refund policies before dropping a bunch of coin on reservations. 
Mountains remain open. Lodging is closed, except to essential works for about 3 week...then reassessed.

Any Seattle people here? I'm curious about the snow quality at Stevens Pass. Every season I watch as they get feet upon feet, storm after storm. And I've always assumed it is cement. But I am not sure. I see their forecast now and it is a steady stream of moisture, but highs at the base this week are all above freezing. A few days in the 40s. What is mid-season like?

😡. Have a trip to Lake Tahoe planned for New Year’s. Will need to cancel due to sip. 

mrs and I deferred our 25th anniversary in September.  We really need a break from everything.
rescheduled for spring break... we'll see if we will have to bump it again.

edit: if it doesn't happen, we'll try a tropical trip in the summer.  I really wanted a little snow though.

I live in kc.  
I'd skip Purgatory, but Telluride isn't much further and is one of the best mountains you will ever ski. Also one of the most beautiful places you will ever ski.

How long are you going for? CO is way better than MN for skiing ( I have lived in both). But the altitude in CO may affect you for a few days - especially if you go to Winter Park. I grew up skiing Loveland, Arapahoe Basin and Breckenridge but haven't been back to any of them for over 20 years. They were all great for families. Back then Loveland and Arapaho's Basin didn't really have local lodging but that may have changed.
Was at Arapahoe a year ago. Awesome. Didn't see any lodging closer than a few miles away 

Has anybody ever tried sneaking IN to Canada? Once in, you only see US Customs coming back right? ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

Whistler and interior BC been getting dumped on.

Apple Jack said:
Has anybody ever tried sneaking IN to Canada? Once in, you only see US Customs coming back right? ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

Whistler and interior BC been getting dumped on.
Saw a show one time where a drug runner would hike across the wilderness with a huge backpack of dope across the border. I think he made it. 

Users who are viewing this thread