What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 out of 10 teams tied! (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
There is a very real possibility that 8 out of our 10 teams in one of my leagues will be tied at 7-6 heading into the playoffs creating a nightmare for the commish. In my 30+ years of playing this game I have never ever seen this.

Crazy! 2020 now affecting the magic football too!

There is a very real possibility that 8 out of our 10 teams in one of my leagues will be tied at 7-6 heading into the playoffs creating a nightmare for the commish. In my 30+ years of playing this game I have never ever seen this.

Just do an all play free for all for those 8 teams.  Top point scorer weeks 14-16 wins it all.

This is why total points is the only thing that matters. H2H is complete nonsense. 
I have a league where we count H2H for one victory point a week but you also get another for beating the spread. 4 teams make the playoffs on victory points, the last two are the highest remaining total points. Really helps to weed out the pretenders

I have a league where we count H2H for one victory point a week but you also get another for beating the spread. 4 teams make the playoffs on victory points, the last two are the highest remaining total points. Really helps to weed out the pretenders
Beating the spread?

what?

This is why total points is the only thing that matters. H2H is complete nonsense. 
Depends on how the league is set up.

If the league is set up as a rotisserie league without head-to-head games – I agree with your statement.

If the league is set up as a head-to-head league – I disagree with your statement

There is not a single valid reason to use H2H as a tie-breaker
Sure there is. H2h as tiebreaker is not the most fair, but we still decided to keep using it in my 21 year dynasty league. At least in a league of friends, it makes a fun finish when h2h is the tiebreaker. 

Again, not the most fair tiebreaker, but h2h itself is not as fair as a rotisserie or total points league. So either way you're trading some fairness for the more fun head to head format. Some people just like leagues a little further down that scale. 

That’s pretty sweet.

Our league has the last spot coming down to total points, and fittingly they’re H2H this week.

Team A currently leads Total PF Season by 2.78 with Hollywood and Ravens DST left.

Team B is behind but has Lamar and Amari left; projected to get 6.40 more than his opponent but who knows.

Our top 5 scoring teams are separated by 15.39 points! Love a league with good parity.

Sunday morning I noticed our last place team making a couple three lineup changes. Love that I play with guys who wanna beat each other’s brains out until the end of the end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure there is. H2h as tiebreaker is not the most fair, but we still decided to keep using it in my 21 year dynasty league. At least in a league of friends, it makes a fun finish when h2h is the tiebreaker. 

Again, not the most fair tiebreaker, but h2h itself is not as fair as a rotisserie or total points league. So either way you're trading some fairness for the more fun head to head format. Some people just like leagues a little further down that scale. 

What is fun about H2H? 

What is fun about H2H? 
The focus is more on individual matchups. There is more crap talking. You have rooting interests in most of the games going on because they have more affect on your playoff chances or your pick (if dynasty).

I've played in total points leagues. They have their place, but they are less engaged in my experience as teams drop out of the race. 

Why is this a nightmare for the Commish?  The tie breaker criteria should be established and its as simple as following what your league does (it should be total points as the tie breaker if you are doing it right.....which makes this kind of thing very simple).  

I find it strange that people would use H2H all season long to determine who is eligible for the playoffs, then scoff at the idea of using H2H to break a tie for a playoff spot, then revert back to using H2H during the playoffs to determine the champion.
It's because if you have an unbalanced schedule where you don't play everyone the same number of times it can be very unfair.  Throw in that you may have played a team only once and it happened to be during the week you had 7 starters are bye and it's not a good way to break a tie.  

The tie break should go to the best team and that is really the team that has scored the most points on the season.  

That’s pretty sweet.

Our league has the last spot coming down to total points, and fittingly they’re H2H this week.

Team A currently leads Total PF Season by 2.78 with Hollywood and Ravens DST left.

Team B is behind but has Lamar and Amari left; projected to get 6.40 more than his opponent but who knows.

Our top 5 scoring teams are separated by 15.39 points! Love a league with good parity.

Sunday morning I noticed our last place team making a couple three lineup changes. Love that I play with guys who wanna beat each other’s brains out until the end of the end. 
In our Father-Son league we have 12 teams and everyone makes the playoffs (top four seeds get a bye).  In order to keep a balanced schedule we play every team one time (11 weeks) and then have a "position week" in week 12.  The schedule is 1st vs 2nd; 3rd vs 4th. etc.  That way you are playing the team closes to you the last week so you can take care of business if you need a win.  It works out great.  

In our Father-Son league we have 12 teams and everyone makes the playoffs (top four seeds get a bye).  In order to keep a balanced schedule we play every team one time (11 weeks) and then have a "position week" in week 12.  The schedule is 1st vs 2nd; 3rd vs 4th. etc.  That way you are playing the team closes to you the last week so you can take care of business if you need a win.  It works out great.  
I love this idea! I’m going to put it up to my league for an offseason change for 2021.

It's because if you have an imbalanced schedule where you don't play everyone the same number of times it can be very unfair.  Throw in that you may have played a team only once and it happened to be during the week you had 7 starters are bye and it's not a good way to break a tie.  

The tie break should go to the best team and that is really the team that has scored the most points on the season.  
Hey if fairness is the main objective, don't do Head to Head at all. Play in a total points league. By your logic, the playoff spots should go to the teams that scored the most points on the season. 

But really, play in whatever type of league you want with whatever tiebreakers. I just don't see why so many feel like they need to be condescending to the use of H2H as a tiebreaker when they don't bat an eye at using H2H for the standings in the 1st place (Not you @Gally, but this conversation comes up every year). The same reason you would choose to play in a H2H league is the reason some like playing in a league with H2H as a tiebreaker. 

I'll get off my soapbox now 

It's because if you have an imbalanced schedule where you don't play everyone the same number of times it can be very unfair.  Throw in that you may have played a team only once and it happened to be during the week you had 7 starters are bye and it's not a good way to break a tie.  

Given the following scenario, Is Team B really the better team?

Team A outscored Team B, 9 out of 13 weeks

Team B however has more total points for the season than Team A

Team A beat Team B in their only H2H meeting

Hey if fairness is the main objective, don't do Head to Head at all. Play in a total points league. By your logic, the playoff spots should go to the teams that scored the most points on the season. 

But really, play in whatever type of league you want with whatever tiebreakers. I just don't see why so many feel like they need to be condescending to the use of H2H as a tiebreaker when they don't bat an eye at using H2H for the standings in the 1st place (Not you @Gally, but this conversation comes up every year). The same reason you would choose to play in a H2H league is the reason some like playing in a league with H2H as a tiebreaker. 

I'll get off my soapbox now 
I can't stand playing in total points leagues (not H2H format)  because you lose that weekly head to head competition factor.  However, for a tie break I don't like H2H because of imbalanced schedules (especially with ties involving more than two teams).  I knew the argument against me would come regarding the inconsistency of having H2H all season and then using total points as "more fair" to pick the better team.  I don't have a logical comeback for that argument.  For me, it's a lot more fun playing against a single opponent each week but much simpler (and more fair in my eyes) to just use total points as a tie break.  

Given the following scenario, Is Team B really the better team?

Team A outscored Team B, 9 out of 13 weeks

Team B however has more total points for the season than Team A

Team A beat Team B in their only H2H meeting
They are really even but I would still say that overall Team B is better because they scored the most overall points.   If Team A outscored Team B in those 9 weeks by one point each time I would say they are very even but if those other four weeks Team B outscored Team A by 30 pts each week that shows overall that Team B is better (in my eyes).  

I can't stand playing in total points leagues (not H2H format)  because you lose that weekly head to head competition factor.  However, for a tie break I don't like H2H because of imbalanced schedules (especially with ties involving more than two teams).  I knew the argument against me would come regarding the inconsistency of having H2H all season and then using total points as "more fair" to pick the better team.  I don't have a logical comeback for that argument.  For me, it's a lot more fun playing against a single opponent each week but much simpler (and more fair in my eyes) to just use total points as a tie break.  
Yeah, I get that. I only use it in one league, and as a league we decided we liked having Head to Head because it is a very matchup focused league, with teams that have been playing together a long time. And each team has been screwed by it at least once, which helps everyone to be more accepting of it's inherent unfairness. But overall I think it's enhanced that league because the end of year finish is always really tight. 

If I join a less engaged league or a public league, I will only join one with total points tiebreakers. I do prefer total points TB, except for certain situations like the one I mentioned. I was more responding to a couple general comments like "there's no good reason to use H2H."

I noticed a lot of parity in all my leagues this year.

It's direct competition each week with something specific to follow.  When you play against every one you lose a lot of the direct competition feel.  It just loses something.
Out long time total points league added H2H a few years ago to add some interest.  We split the pot for the total points winner and SB winner.   A little money goes to second place in each category too.   Last year I won total points but lost the SB.  This year, I have no chance at total points but made the playoffs barely.  The total points identifies the best team over the season while the SB gives the top 6 teams a chance at winning something.  

Yeah, I get that. I only use it in one league, and as a league we decided we liked having Head to Head because it is a very matchup focused league, with teams that have been playing together a long time. And each team has been screwed by it at least once, which helps everyone to be more accepting of it's inherent unfairness. But overall I think it's enhanced that league because the end of year finish is always really tight. 

If I join a less engaged league or a public league, I will only join one with total points tiebreakers. I do prefer total points TB, except for certain situations like the one I mentioned. I was more responding to a couple general comments like "there's no good reason to use H2H."
I am not really sure what you mean by a "very matchup focused league".  All of my leagues are very matchup focused - they are all H2H.  Winning your weekly matchup is all that matters because record is what gets you into the playoffs or wins you the title (i have a couple leagues that just play 17 weeks with best record winning the title so no playoffs).   How much more matchup focused can you be and why does that require a H2H tie break that can get very complicated (see OP to this thread)?

How much more matchup focused can you be and why does that require a H2H tie break that can get very complicated (see OP to this thread)?
No one required anything, we decided that was more fun and interesting. Just like when teams decide H2H instead of total point is more fun and interesting for initial standings. 

No one required anything, we decided that was more fun and interesting. Just like when teams decide H2H instead of total point is more fun and interesting for initial standings. 
"require" was a bad word choice by me.  I am still interested to know what you mean by "a very matchup focused league"  Is there something else besides just a normal H2H schedule that increases the importance of the H2H matchup?  

"require" was a bad word choice by me.  I am still interested to know what you mean by "a very matchup focused league"  Is there something else besides just a normal H2H schedule that increases the importance of the H2H matchup?  
I just meant that the teams in the league like a lot of focus being on individual matchups. Not there there is any setting that makes them more important (other than using H2H as a tiebreaker).

Also, I think figuring out an 8-team tie via H2H tiebreakers sounds like a blast. But I am kind of a nerd  :lol:

The other advantage to using total points as the tie break is that everyone knows instantly who is ahead in the tie break and what you need in order to get on the right side of the tie break (especially in messy 8 team ties).  

Don’t understand how this scenario is a nightmare, I actually think it’s awesome to have this many teams still competing for playoff position this late in the season.

Don’t understand how this scenario is a nightmare, I actually think it’s awesome to have this many teams still competing for playoff position this late in the season.
I think he meant figuring out the tie break scenarios is a nightmare.......not that everyone is competitive

The other advantage to using total points as the tie break is that everyone knows instantly who is ahead in the tie break and what you need in order to get on the right side of the tie break (especially in messy 8 team ties).  
Even if H2H was used as the tie 1st breaker in this scenario (8 teams tied) they would more than likely move to whatever is the 2nd tie breaker anyway.

Most of the 3 or more H2H tie breaker rules that I have seen say something like,

“H2H sweep (applicable only if one team has swept all other tied teams or has been swept by all other tied teams)”

Only one team can advance (or be eliminated) in any tie breaking step. All remaining tied teams will revert to the 1st step of the applicable tie breaker

Even if H2H was used as the tie 1st breaker in this scenario (8 teams tied) they would more than likely move to whatever is the 2nd tie breaker anyway.

Most of the 3 or more H2H tie breaker rules that I have seen say something like,

“H2H sweep (applicable only if one team has swept all other tied teams or has been swept by all other tied teams)”

Only one team can advance (or be eliminated) in any tie breaking step. All remaining tied teams will revert to the 1st step of the applicable tie breaker
Exactly.  Messy and not readily known without going back through the schedule to see what every team has done against every other team.  There are ways to do it but with unbalanced scheduled and multiple teams tends to screw someone that didn't play as many games or that played many more games than other teams.  Total points is clean and easily identifiable.  

We go by record and then total points scored is the tie breaker and that has always solved any problems or issues with wins and losses. 

Beating the spread?

what?
The spread being the league average. If you're top half in point in a given week, you get a victory point. If you win your H2H, you get a victory point. Top 4 victory points go to the playoffs, top 2 remaining with the highest total points make the playoffs also.

It makes things interesting. I'm the top team with 4 H2H losses but I've beat the spread every time. The 2nd place team only has 1 loss but has been under the spread 3 times. I ultimately come out on top with high total points. One team is going to make the playoffs with an 11-15 record but he's 3rd in total points and won the ship last year with a similar record. Highly recommend this way of doing things

There is not a single valid reason to use H2H as a tie-breaker
Other than it's a H2H league?

Two guys tied for the Division title, one beats the other twice, but the other scores more total points so he should get the Division Title?

How does that make sense?

Why is this a nightmare for the Commish?  The tie breaker criteria should be established and its as simple as following what your league does (it should be total points as the tie breaker if you are doing it right.....which makes this kind of thing very simple).  
No, you're right. It's only a nightmare because he's a first year Commish. Took over for a guy that ran it for 10yrs and that guy never gave him the Tie-Breakers and he didn't really think that through. The league has been together for over 10yrs so we all know the tie-breakers and there's no controversy, but I find this crazy as I've never seen something like this before

Exactly. Each team has to play each other the same amount of times to use H2H, with 8 teams tied that's not possible in this league. So we move on to #2 and #3 if necessary

Exactly. Each team has to play each other the same amount of times to use H2H, with 8 teams tied that's not possible in this league. So we move on to #2 and #3 if necessary
This helps make using H2H as a tie break a lot more palatable however, it still lends itself to only playing one time against a team when you have multiple key players on bye which becomes a huge disadvantage that you cannot plan for at all (how do you know who you are playing the week your key guys are on bye?).  For a tie break I like all teams to be on an equal footing.  Total points does that.  

When there are multiple teams involved, it ruins the finish.  If you an get past the interpretation issues of how to apply the rules, which can cause arguments and headaches, it is still less fun.  It creates so many permutations of what could happen, that it’s difficult to know what to root for on any given play.  Much of the fun of FF is getting that extra dopamine hit when a big play works out in your favor.  Complex scenarios rob most FF players of that joy.

I find it strange that people would use H2H all season long to determine who is eligible for the playoffs, then scoff at the idea of using H2H to break a tie for a playoff spot, then revert back to using H2H during the playoffs to determine the champion.
Just to add on to what I posted above.

In Week to Week head to head there is a small finite number of statistics/players I can track as I watch the games and get those dopamine hits and experience the added tension of each play.  In weekly points, there are far too many things for humans to track, robbing you of some of that joy.

In a tiebreaker scenario, the simpler it is to comprehend, the easier it is to experience those same ups and downs in real time.  Overly complex scenarios or not even knowing if you should be rooting for or against a player kind of ruins it.

The spread being the league average. If you're top half in point in a given week, you get a victory point. If you win your H2H, you get a victory point. Top 4 victory points go to the playoffs, top 2 remaining with the highest total points make the playoffs also.

It makes things interesting. I'm the top team with 4 H2H losses but I've beat the spread every time. The 2nd place team only has 1 loss but has been under the spread 3 times. I ultimately come out on top with high total points. One team is going to make the playoffs with an 11-15 record but he's 3rd in total points and won the ship last year with a similar record. Highly recommend this way of doing things
Makes sense...

When there are multiple teams involved, it ruins the finish.  If you an get past the interpretation issues of how to apply the rules, which can cause arguments and headaches, it is still less fun.  It creates so many permutations of what could happen, that it’s difficult to know what to root for on any given play.  Much of the fun of FF is getting that extra dopamine hit when a big play works out in your favor.  Complex scenarios rob most FF players of that joy.
Nah, it's usually pretty easy to figure out who you want to win or lose going into the last couple of weeks. In the league where we have a H2H tiebreaker, I have taken to laying out potential scenarios before week 12 and 13 on the message board. Like I said, I and my league think that it adds to the fun, which is why we've kept it that way in our 20 year dynasty league. I'm sure there are plenty of other leagues that like having the wild finish for playoff spots that H2H tiebreaker is more likely to bring. 

Nah, it's usually pretty easy to figure out who you want to win or lose going into the last couple of weeks. In the league where we have a H2H tiebreaker, I have taken to laying out potential scenarios before week 12 and 13 on the message board. Like I said, I and my league think that it adds to the fun, which is why we've kept it that way in our 20 year dynasty league. I'm sure there are plenty of other leagues that like having the wild finish for playoff spots that H2H tiebreaker is more likely to bring. 
Nah..when this board was more active, we used to tons of posts every season right about now where leagues couldn’t even figure who made the playoffs after having a few days to noodle on it. I am also guessing your scenarios have team sure if they want other teams to lose because it helps some scenarios, but hurts others...

Users who are viewing this thread