What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 14 Kicker Contest! Officially an Official Topic! (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Greetings and salutations, FBG Kicker haters! 

It is time. The last K contest of the year, and with @Joe Bryant's permission, it has it's very own topic so as to avoid distraction from your very important breaking K news.  :unsure:

I like to give back to this community, & I also hate K's. They are random and stupid and they get hurt celebrating, and they miss kicks ruining my U/O bets and ruin point spreads. This contest gives us a reason to love Kickers again. I've been officially eliminated in the league I went 5-0, the 0-6 in, thanks to COVID & injuries peripheral to my players.  :rant:  So at least this gives me something to enjoy in week 14 (I've locked up the 1-seed playoffs in my dynasty league). 

Here's how it works:  

• Pick a kicker. He's your pony for the week.
  • Guess that kicker's total points, and longest FG kicked using decimal scoring. Example: 30 yards or less = 3 points, with .1 for every yard thereafter. 45 yard FG = 4.5 points, 37 = 3.7 points, etc.  
  • For this 1st contest MPAT = -1 point. Often these contests are decided by less than a point, so choose that K carefully, because 1 MPAT could kill ya! ☠️ 
  • The predicted K entry to the contest who is closest to BOTH total points, and long distance will be the winner.
Example:

Entry A guesses their K will have 16 points, with a long of 47. 

Entry B guesses their K will have 17 points with a long of 45. 

Entry A's K has 17 points (1) with a long of 46 (1) for a total differential of 2.  Entry B's K has 17 points (0), with a long of 48 (3) for a total differential of 3. Entry A wins by having the smallest differential between both total points and distance.  

• Normally if there is a tie, the entry with the earliest timestamp wins. But since this is the last K contest of the year, in the event of a tie, all teams tied will receive a prize. 'tis the season for giving.  :pickle:
What do you win? I'm glad you asked!  My handle is "Hot Sauce Guy" because I make award-winning hot sauce; with  a Grand Prize for Tasting Division at the 30th annual Fiery Food & BBQ Show in ABQ, NM, and a sauce on the hit show Hot Ones. If you are the leading prognosticator, I will send you 2 award-winning sauces of your choice of heat level, at no cost for sauce or shipping, and with no strings attached.

Is this some kinda marketing schtick? Man, that's harsh - why would you ask such a thing? :sadbanana:  No. My hot sauce was on a show with 8M subscribers and Trevor Noah said it danced on his tongue like Fred Astaire. If I wanted to spend $ on marketing, I'd probably be doing a contest somewhere with more folks than the dozen or so who randomly sees this on the K topic of FBG. Heck, I'd be hitting up Joe for ad-space in the newsletter & doing a "FBG10" discount for board members to use. Uh, which I did and do. :D  

USA Shipping Only: You can enter if you're in Canada or Germany or Tanzania, you just have to ship to a friend in the US if you win. It is what it is. 

Note: DO NOT EDIT your post. Because time-stamp matters, you cannot have an edited post. Edited entries are DQ'd. If you change your mind (late week K injury, game cancellation, etc) simply hide your original post & post a new one. 

Don't forget to put the long-distance guess as well. You must guess BOTH the points total, and longest FG from your K. 

Note 2: Cut-off time is 10 mins before Kickoff for whichever K you select. You can use K from the TNF game, but you must post your entry by no later than 5 mins before kick-off on Thursday. 

That's it!  Make a guess, win some hot sauce. Doesn't get much easier than that and it's certainly worth the price of admission ($0), so get those guesses in for week 14! 

And remember: ALL conditions must be met. Your guesses must be closest to the kicker’s actual points, AND long-distance FG. The closest point difference in the contest will win. The highest scoring kicker, or even the highest scoring kicker guessed is not the automatic winner. 

A kicker with 20 points and a long of 56 could be a losing pony if you guess 17 (3) and 48 (8) for a variance of 11. 

This contest is about your guessing performance accuracy, not which kicker has the most points of the week. 

That's it!  All guesses must be in no later than 10 mins before kickoff of whatever game your K is playing. You can wait all the way to 10 mins before the last game of the week but you're limiting yourself to 2 options.

Also it's not "The Price is Right" - it's ok to go over. It's closest to the mark for both guesses. It's harder than it sounds, but we've had variance as low as .1 in this contest, because y'all are some K guessing bad mama-jammas up in here. 

So get those guesses in & good luck!

:pickle:

ETA: this is a K contest that is won by guessing total points and distance of longest made FG. Implicit there is that your entry must kick a FG. Thus entries of 0/0 will result in DQ. This is not ambiguous. Y’all want to win a contest for guessing a FG without actually making a FG, and total points without actually scoring points, and that’s just not how it works. Might as well try to win without picking a K. This is in accordance with the original rules. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool idea.  What if I select a Kicker that scores no points?  Can I select a K with 0 and 0yards?
There is no loophole here where you can win through shenanigans. 

It’s never come up before, but because the potential for shenanigans is there, the answer is no. 

It’s never come up before, but because the potential for shenanigans is there, the answer is no. 
Great!  But I can select a kicker with zero yards who actually plays, kicks extra points only correct?  Just no selecting a backup kicker or such.

If you are taking an active kicker why is this shenanigans?  It's actually taking a fairly big risk as not too many games end in a shutout.

Great!  But I can select a kicker with zero yards who actually plays, kicks extra points only correct?  Just no selecting a backup kicker or such
I’m gonna stick with my “no” answer. 

Part of this contest involves restoring our collective love for kickers. Picking a K to get 0/0 is like betting the under. No one should be rooting against their pony getting points.

the skill of this contest is in accurately guessing total points & distance, so in the spirit of the contest, you may not pick a K and guess 0/0. It fails to meet a basic qualification of winning (guessing the distance of a made FG - if no FG is made, you lose) 

I just don’t see it as in the spirit of the competition. Asked and answered.

Good luck in the contest. 

Thank you for not mucking up the kicker thread.

😉

Matt Prater

18.3 points*

Long FG prediction = 59

*4-4 FGs from 31/39/44/59 plus 1XP as the Lions upset the Packers 33-31 to climb to within one game of .500 and vaulting Darrell Bevell to a 2-0, 1.000 record as Interim HC - the highest winning percentage in the club’s 91 season history. Bedlam in Motown. That’s my pick.

Thank you for not mucking up the kicker thread.

😉

Matt Prater (do over bc I cannot add. which is pretty ironic for a CPA)

20.3 points*

Long FG prediction = 59

*4-4 FGs from 31/39/44/59 plus 3XP as the Lions upset the Packers 33-31 to climb to within one game of .500 and vaulting Darrell Bevell to a 2-0, 1.000 record as Interim HC - the highest winning percentage in the club’s 91 season history. Bedlam in Motown. That’s my pick.

FINAL ANSWER

Am I eligible for the contest since I won the previously?  I'd hate to win again and keep the rest of you from sampling HSG's great hot sauces (and they are very good). 

Am I eligible for the contest since I won the previously?  I'd hate to win again and keep the rest of you from sampling HSG's great hot sauces (and they are very good). 
If the NFL would take this stance then I’d be assured the Lions make the Super Bowl #justoncebeforeidie

Original post updated with rule clarification.

There is no way to win a contest guessing longest FG without your kicker making a FG.

Not sure why that’s controversial. 

100% yes. We’ve had 1 member win more than once IIRC. And thank you! So happy you enjoyed them! :pickle:

@QuizGuy66 - don’t be sad. The rules are clear. You need to guess longest made FG.  There’s no such thing as a 0 yard, 0 point made FG. 

the contest is hard. There is no loophole available to make it easier. 

*4-4 FGs from 31/39/44/59 plus 3XP as the Lions upset the Packers 33-31 to climb to within one game of .500 and vaulting Darrell Bevell to a 2-0, 1.000 record as Interim HC - the highest winning percentage in the club’s 91 season history. Bedlam in Motown. That’s my pick.

FINAL ANSWER
This is a degree of specificity rarely seen in the K contest. Completely irrelevant of course, but I was amused, and for that I thank you. 

Tyler Bass
FG's - good from 46, good from 34, miss from 44
EP's - perfect on both attempts (2)
Total - 10.0 points

I have to assume a made extra point counts as 1 point, but you only mention a missed extra point is negative 1.  Wouldn't want anyone to think no points are awarded for successful EP's.

I have to assume a made extra point counts as 1 point, but you only mention a missed extra point is negative 1.  Wouldn't want anyone to think no points are awarded for successful EP's.
Yea, PAT = 1

sorry, I’ve never thought to specify that before. Guess I’d assumed by calling it an extra point it was 1 point. 

Tyler Bass
FG's - good from 46, good from 34, miss from 44
EP's - perfect on both attempts (2)
Total - 10.0 points

I wasn’t sure of this either but did assume the same... guess when one assumes it doesn’t always make an.... well you know 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Tragic indeed. Also creates more work for me to calculate all the guesses. Thank goodness for Excel.

Doesn't help your odds any though. These people must really not like you or something.  :sadbanana:
Odds going down even more with all these bumps :(

-QG

"Great" and "very good" is underselling.

They are nothing short of phenomenal.

No, I am not HSG's alias -- I too won this contest in the past and I am totally hooked. A lot of complexity, and even the very hottest is not just straight heat but brings flavor. 

Huge fan, will be ordering directly from the site when I'm out.

My entry:

Carlson:

Go Raiders.

Users who are viewing this thread