What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mormon Question - Are "Mormon Vs Mullets" shirts offensive? (1 Viewer)

Is Mormons vs Mullets Offensive?

• I'm Mormon, and it's offensive

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'm Mormon and it's a little offensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Mormon and it's not offensive at all

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I'm not Mormon, and it's offensive

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'm not Mormon and it's a little offensive

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'm not Mormon and it's not offensive at all

Votes: 62 88.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Dumb question but I'm not sure on this. I ask as I was maybe going to use this in Random Shots.

BYU played Coastal Carolina last week.

There were shirts that said "Mormon vs Mullets".

For Mormons, is that offensive?

And no, there is no "It's just dumb" option. 

I don't think the Mormon part is offensive.  If I was Coastal Carolina, I might be more offended by "Mullets".  Kind of like the Catholics vs Convicts.  :shrug:  

If the mullets are being associated with Coastal Carolina, I think the question is, for Coastal Carolina, is that offensive?
That's my take.. how would it be offensive to Mormons?   If anything, it would be offensive to the "mullets".. although in my experience, "mullets" don't really get offended.

If the mullets are being associated with Coastal Carolina, I think the question is, for Coastal Carolina, is that offensive?
Yeah, it seems to be more derogatory towards CC fans than BYU.  Although, I guess is we accept the mocking of mullets (which I endorse) then maybe associating Mormons as the other side is offensive?  I voted no as that's what they are, right?

Offensive to whom? The Rednecks that are stereotyped as mulleted or the fans of a historically Mormon university being called Mormons. Going to have to err on the side of... you kidding me?

I'm not worried about that. My only question was whether it was offensive for the Mormon side. 

Yeah, I'm with the others. I don't get why the question is only being asked from the Mormon angle. Is the potential offensiveness that there seems to be a generalization that everyone at BYU is Mormon?

Offensive to whom? The Rednecks that are stereotyped as mulleted or the fans of a historically Mormon university being called Mormons. Going to have to err on the side of... you kidding me?
The CC team itself has adopted the mullet hairstyle as a "team identity" kind of thing - lots of the players wear their hair that way. 

I ask as the tweet I saw this on, the first reply was someone on Twitter that seemed offended. 
Offended by term "Mormon" or the generalization that everyone at BYU is Mormon or something else? Or maybe you don't know? Maybe they just expressed offense without saying what was offensive?

Offended by term "Mormon" or the generalization that everyone at BYU is Mormon or something else? Or maybe you don't know? Maybe they just expressed offense without saying what was offensive?
If it was on Twitter it could be any of those or a bot or somebody stirring up trouble.  But being offended for no good reason is all the rage now, so who knows.

We have a vote for I'm Mormon, and it's offensive "I'm Mormon, and it's offensive". I'd love to hear about this.

Back in the day, the Notre Dame-Miami games were billed as Catholics vs Convicts. Should the Fighting Irish have been offended?

Dumb question but I'm not sure on this. I ask as I was maybe going to use this in Random Shots.

BYU played Coastal Carolina last week.

There were shirts that said "Mormon vs Mullets".

For Mormons, is that offensive?

And no, there is no "It's just dumb" option. 
It’s just dumb, is the answer.  

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug:

I was going to use the Mormons vs Mullets picture from here https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1335385696593383427?s=20

First comment was "As someone who lives in Utah, how about neither..."

So I wasn't sure and asked you folks to be a sounding board to see what you thought. 

I've always thought the FFA was great for that. Thanks for the help.
announcer in the soundbyte verifies that no one at BYU is offended by these and they think it's awesome... so you should be good

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a good question for Jim McMahon.
He's not mormon, he's catholic.  

They made two sets of the Mormons vs Mullets shirts - one each in school colors of both sides.  

I still have my Catholics vs Convicts shirt, I went to the game.  

I just always assume I'm way behind the times and only old people use Twitter anyway.
Really? I'm not sure about all of Twitter but I never have felt the Fantasy Football community on Twitter was old. I mean sure, the demographic is way older than Snatchat/Instagram/Tiktok but not 'old".

Or maybe it's better to define "old".

My take is tons of 30-40 year olds are on Twitter. Maybe that says something about me but that doesn't feel "old" to me. Does it you?

I'm offended that someone was offended by this. ;)  

Absolutely NOT offensive to Mormons. At least it SHOULDN'T be. While one can be offended by ANYTHING I guess, whether they should be offended or not should also matter.

Users who are viewing this thread