What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

URGENT - Tie Breaker Explanation on CBS (1 Viewer)

dsanok

Footballguy
Need to understand how the tie breaking system works in CBS. We have big argument on how CBS placed our playoff seeding and division winner for the start of our playoffs tomorrow.

3 Team Scenario - Ties in the standings are resolved in this order:

1. Winning Percentage
  2. Head to Head Record
  3. Total Points
  4. Division Record
  5. Points Against (Schedule Difficulty).
TEAM   W/ L  PCT       DIV        PF             PA
Ptown  8-5    0.615     5-3-0   1728.9    1710.8
Crazy   8-5    0.615     4-4-0   1782.0    1728.8
Master 8-5    0.615     5-3-0   1750.3    1602.9

Head to Head
Ptown 2-0 vs Crazy
Ptown 1-1 vs Master
Crazy 1-1 vs Master

CBS says that the division winner is: Ptown followed by Crazy and then Master

Can you please explain how this works. Each team seemed to beat each other (Ptwon over Crazy in H2H, Crazy beat Master going to points, and Master beat Ptown going to points).  If they all go to points then Crazy would be the division winner followed by Master and then Ptown.. But that isn't how CBS has them ranked. Please help break it down. Does it go to the 4th and 5th tie breaker? 

I need to explain this to my league because there are playoff BYEs and "bonuses" involved in being the division winner and seeding as well. And every person has a different opinion of how CBS is calculating it. Some think they CBS is correct, others think it is a bug in their system. I can see it both ways but if anyone knows how CBS came up with the order (and break it down) I would greatly appreciate it.

Based on what you have listed here is what I would do (although I think CBS did it different - see below):

• PTown was 3-1 in H2H between tied teams
  • Crazy was 1-3 in H2H between tied teams
  • Master was 2-2 in H2H between tied teams

Therefore I would have PTown (3-1) is #1, Master (2-2) is #2 and Crazy (1-3) is #3 since they each played each other twice (balanced schedule)

However, my guess based on the order you have listed they probably used the H2H to separate out one team (PTown wins with best record).  Then they redo the tie break between the other two teams.  Those teams went 1-1 so it then goes to total points which has Crazy getting the two seed 

Ptown wins the division based on head to head. He is 3-1; master 2-2, and crazy is 1-3.   Now that you have determined the winner; ptown is taken out of the equation. 

Then crazy beats master based on total points for. 

Users who are viewing this thread