What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commercial interpretation (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
I keep seeing this ad for Mercedes.

Is that supposed to be a bunny, and why is it chained to the front of a semi?

Does anyone understand what they’re getting at?

Truckers sometimes chain or tie stuffed animals to the front of their trucks.  I wouldn't say it's super common, but not unusual either.  I've seen it several times.  If you search the internet for why, you will get a bunch of different answers.  Some about warding off evil spirits that cause accidents.  :oldunsure:   

I guess the point of the commercial is that the stuffed animal would rather be in a Mercedes than tied to the front of a truck.  Kind of a weird way to go with a commercial.  :shrug:  

the thing that pisses me off about that commercial is they show the happy spoiled rich kid with a new stuffed animal in their Mercedes.  They don't show the trucker who just pulled into a truck stop in Dubuque trying to figure out where the hell his stuffed animal that he keeps for good luck went. Or maybe his kid gave it to him. Or maybe his wife's name is Bunny.

Like that kid's parents can't afford to buy the kid a stuffed animal but they can afford a new Mercedes. Meanwhile the poor trucker is hoping Wendy's is open so he doesn't have to settle for Slim Jims and microwave burritos again.

Truckers sometimes chain or tie stuffed animals to the front of their trucks.  I wouldn't say it's super common, but not unusual either.  I've seen it several times.  If you search the internet for why, you will get a bunch of different answers.  Some about warding off evil spirits that cause accidents.  :oldunsure:   

I guess the point of the commercial is that the stuffed animal would rather be in a Mercedes than tied to the front of a truck.  Kind of a weird way to go with a commercial.  :shrug:  
I did not realize this.

the thing that pisses me off about that commercial is they show the happy spoiled rich kid with a new stuffed animal in their Mercedes.  They don't show the trucker who just pulled into a truck stop in Dubuque trying to figure out where the hell his stuffed animal that he keeps for good luck went. Or maybe his kid gave it to him. Or maybe his wife's name is Bunny.

Like that kid's parents can't afford to buy the kid a stuffed animal but they can afford a new Mercedes. Meanwhile the poor trucker is hoping Wendy's is open so he doesn't have to settle for Slim Jims and microwave burritos again.
The stuffed animal appeared to escape the chains and walk away before it froze in place. Are you not concerned about the bunny's wellbeing?

The stuffed animal appeared to escape the chains and walk away before it froze in place. Are you not concerned about the bunny's wellbeing?
I'm concerned that any parent (let alone one driving a Mercedes) would let their kid pick up, play with and cuddle a filthy, wet stuffed animal lying in a parking lot ,with an unknown history, showing no concern for the kid's wellbeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm concerned that any parent (let alone one driving a Mercedes) would let their kid pick up, play with and cuddle a filthy, wet stuffed animal lying in a parking lot ,with an unknown history, showing no concern for the kid's wellbeing.
This was my thought as well.  First thought, "get that nasty flea infested varmint away from your face!  The hells the matter with you?!"

And apparently the bunny creature was okay with the situation since it was shown that he could escape any time he likes.  Maybe he should have left his dungeon when they drove through Florida.  

And if he didn't freeze in place on the front of the truck driving 75 mph down the interstate, he wouldn't have frozen walking through the snow.  That's some cold air blowing through his hair on the road.  

I keep seeing this ad for Mercedes.

Is that supposed to be a bunny, and why is it chained to the front of a semi?

Does anyone understand what they’re getting at?
I have not paid attention to the whole commercial, but I thought it was a parody of toy story. At the end of Toy Story 3 the bad toy gets tied up to a truck as an ornament.

https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Garbage_Truck_Toys

Edit, I just watched the commercial in the link. @apalmer is correct. Who would let their kid pick up a stuffed animal on the side of the road.

I interpret it more as a condemnation of nature v. technology...one where the bunny(symbolizing nature) has been enslaved by the truck (symbolizing technology).  Ironically, the bunny looks to be made by man-made i.e. TECHNOLOGICAL!!!!!! materials....so maybe  there's some sort of Kantian idea that we're all enslaved by technology regardless if we think we are not.  The snow obviously symbolized both life and death....the bunnies "life" as a victim dies in the snow and then is also reborn...in the very same snow.  Maybe that's a nod to the duality of Taoism.  It's no secret that a girl (i.e. woman....i.e. MOTHER EARTH!!!) finds the bunny; acting as a catalyst for "Bunnies" rebirth.  I'd almost argue that the most important character in this commercial is the restaurant a.k.k "DINER"......but then I'd be getting into a fairly heavy West/North philosophic discussion about the duality that food or "feeding" someone plays; both in regards to death by nature and life by technology..ironically.... but that's a very gossamer discussion....and as we all know; one does not dissect gossamer.   

Honestly, many car commercials seem to be substance-fueled fantasies, and sometimes disturbing.  I've been scratching my head at the big red bows on December Lexuses for years.  To say nothing of the whole idea of giving a car as a surprise gift.  

Users who are viewing this thread