What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alcohol use disorder (1 Viewer)

Honus

Footballguy
Yes, this is the same as alcoholism. I just wanted to start a new thread for those of us who are really struggling or for those who can offer helpful insights. I figured it would be simpler without the pole, focused more on folks for whom this is a real, life-affecting issue. 

I am one of those people. 

Yes, this is the same as alcoholism. I just wanted to start a new thread for those of us who are really struggling or for those who can offer helpful insights. I figured it would be simpler without the pole, focused more on folks for whom this is a real, life-affecting issue. 

Good luck bud.  I've known a few friends that went through this and the first 6+ months were rough.  Get a good support group and you can do it though. 

Good luck Honus.  If you don't mind me asking - do you see Alcohol Use Disorder and Alcoholism to be one in the same?  If not, can you explain how you see the differences? 

The reason I ask is I'm not sure I've ever heard that phrase before.

Good luck Honus.  If you don't mind me asking - do you see Alcohol Use Disorder and Alcoholism to be one in the same?  If not, can you explain how you see the differences? 

Same.  

As for handling addiction, I just realized there are some substances I can't handle in moderation and as I get older, the side effects just get worse.  I don't even temp myself or keep them around the house.  When I go out, I'll occasionally tell myself otherwise and always regret it the following day.   The problem with addiction is that you'll know all of this but still repeat the process.  I don't think there's a silver bullet but you have to want to change and take action.  If nothing changes, nothing changes type thing.  Just acknowledging your weakness is a huge step.  Good luck!

Good luck to everybody battling alcoholism.   I've mentioned this a few times in this forum.  One of my sisters almost died from drug addiction. We're very lucky that she's still alive and she's been sober for over 25 years now.   One of the things that saved her was that she shifted her drug addiction to a church addiction.   Over time--while she is still involved in church-she shifted from church addiction to being addicted to mentoring troubled youth that were going down the same path as her.  She still does this--but over tthe past few years--she shifted her addictive behavior to working out and exercise. My point is this:   Even if you stop drinking alcohol--you will still have addictive behavior and tendencies.  You might want to consider embracing and understanding those tendencies by finding something healthier and more productive to be addicted to while you are trying to shift out of alcohol.   Feed that behavior that lies within you something more postive to feast on. It'll make de-coupling from alcohol a more seamless transition imo.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to everybody battling alcoholism.   I've mentioned this a few times in this thread.  One of my sisters almost died from drug addiction. We're very lucky that she's still alive and she's been sober for over 25 years now.   One of the things that saved her was that she shifted her drug addiction to a church addiction.   Over time--while she is still involved in church-she shifted from church addiction to being addicted to mentoring troubled youth that were going down the same path as her.  She still does this--but over tthe past few years--she shifted her addictive behavior to working out and exercise. My point is this:   Even if you stop drinking alcohol--you will still have addictive behavior and tendencies.  You might want to consider embracing and understanding those tendencies by finding something healthier and more productive to be addicted to while you are trying to shift out of alcohol.   Feed that behavior that lies within you something more postive to feast on. It'll make de-coupling from alcohol a more seamless transition imo.  
:thumbup:  Great advice!

My father in law has struggled with addiction for many years of his life. Mostly alcohol, but some drug use as well. Rock bottom was probably 20 years ago when he was strung out in St. Louis and lost his truck in some shady drug situation. Came home and got sober. Did AA. He turned to the church and focused his attention there to mentoring others. Eventually became a pastor. Spent time sharing his stories with others in similar situations. He went from being a guy that I thought was just a complete dirt bag to someone I actually look up to and respect in the past two decades. Honestly one of the best people I know now. Amazing to watch his turn around over the years. 

Good luck to everyone struggling with this. It can be beat. And you can come out the other side being a better person. My father in law is proof of that. But you have to focus your energy into something else. Doesn't have to be church, but finding something new to live for is critical.

I am using those terms interchangeably. I guess to me, alcohol use disorder doesn’t seem to have the same negative stigma attached to it.

When I was laying in a hospital bed after a car accident (not alcohol related directly but was related indirectly because it was partially triggering my seizures) and they brought me two cans of beer with pharmacy labels on them because they were trying to trigger seizures to determine what part of my brain they were coming from, I knew it might be time to quit.

As someone who has been sober for 18 years, I will tell you that you have to first admit and understand you have a problem.  

As was said earlier, find a support system.  Mine in the early going was AA,  Part of my sobriety was being able to help other people and listen to stories other people told and completely understand what they were going through.  You also need to find your higher power.  Mine was God (I was raised in a very Christian home but always felt It was force fed to me when I was younger), but for some people that may not be the case.  Make your amends with people. There are a lot of people that we hurt that we don't mean to during our drinking and it lifts a huge load off your shoulders if you are able to make amends with them.

Take it one day at a time.  There are times in the summer when it is 90+ degrees out that an Ice cold beer would sure taste good and quench the thirst or I get a craving to a Rum Coke or a whiskey coke but I know I don't want to go down that road again.

The best way for me to not drink much / stop drinking is eat a ton of food, and polish it off with a few tokes.  I'd definitely be an alcoholic if it wasn't for medical cannabis.

So got my 10 bottles. I will be pouring glasses on my cooking scale after I tare (zero out) the weight of my glass to ensure I pour precisely five ounces. This should yield me a dribble more on the fifth glass.I
I was always under the impression that a 4-5oz serving on wine was measure by volume not weight.   :unsure:  

I’ve said this here before but for me the book by Alan Carr “stop drinking”, got me to quit. I was a problem drinker not an alcoholic. I read his book and just stopped. Been like 5 years I believe now. Still go out, still have fun except now when I wake up after going out feeling fresh I think to myself “Man I am so glad I don’t drink”, as I know my buddies are suffering. 

Honus said:

Good luck @Honus. Prayers to you.

Study about origins of Alcoholism

This came up in my feed - interesting study.  tl;dr - they think they've found one component of addiction to alcohol that has to do with a chemical in the brain.  The don't claim they've found a cure but feel it's an important piece to the puzzle to help them find other components. 

I have had a rough couple of days, as anyone following the spreadsheet can see. I seem to react poorly when depression intersects with primetime football.

A usual day has taken the form of three or four triples, followed by a few beers. To my credit, this intake is extended over 10 to 12 hours though, so I haven’t really been getting completely wrecked. I assume that spreading out the consumption over a long time is less detrimental in terms of health consequences, but of course that’s still no way to live one’s life. 

I've just got to say it. All of you dancing on the edge of this thing hoping that if you just try real hard you can limit it to a handful a night and it won't be problem, it won't work. The longer you've been drinking, the more you need. That doesn't stop because you cut back a little. Also, trying to limit something that impacts your reasoning and inhibitions is not a recipe for success.

"It's just one more. No big deal (and one more becomes three more on top of the three you already had)." "I've had a rough week, I've earned it." "I've had a great week. I've earned it." "The _____________ are on TV tonight. (and you realize that you like way more teams than any person should to always have a reason to revel with them and a couple cocktails when they are on TV)" "I'm not hurting anyone if I just have one more. I'm not driving. I'm home (usually by yourself or are the only one drinking if there are others there, so there is no driving but you are still hurting someone)." "It's just that I love it with food so much (but in reality, you don't love booze with food, you love food with your booze)." "It's <fill in holiday>. It's time to revel." "It's a nice restaurant. It's time to revel." "I've got tickets to see ____________. It's time to revel." "____________ stopped by and we always have a few. It's just what we do." 

I know these sound familiar.

Dancing on the edge of this thing is not sustainable. But you will have to come to that conclusion yourselves. And the moment you do, the moment you realize that you can't keep dancing with the devil and expect it to turn out well, will be the moment you can actually quit. Right now you have hope that this method will work. As long as you have hope you won't quit. It's the minute you realize there is no hope that you can stop dancing. But that's not something I can explain to you. I can't tell you about it. You have to experience it yourselves. There are all sorts of people that have something terrible happen in their lives to hit rock bottom and realize there is no hope anymore. I hope all of you come to that realization before that happens. And again, I'm here to take it offline and chat about this. Any time of the day or night. 

I've just got to say it. All of you dancing on the edge of this thing hoping that if you just try real hard you can limit it to a handful a night and it won't be problem, it won't work. The longer you've been drinking, the more you need. That doesn't stop because you cut back a little. Also, trying to limit something that impacts your reasoning and inhibitions is not a recipe for success.

"It's just one more. No big deal (and one more becomes three more on top of the three you already had)." "I've had a rough week, I've earned it." "I've had a great week. I've earned it." "The _____________ are on TV tonight. (and you realize that you like way more teams than any person should to always have a reason to revel with them and a couple cocktails when they are on TV)" "I'm not hurting anyone if I just have one more. I'm not driving. I'm home (usually by yourself or are the only one drinking if there are others there, so there is no driving but you are still hurting someone)." "It's just that I love it with food so much (but in reality, you don't love booze with food, you love food with your booze)." "It's <fill in holiday>. It's time to revel." "It's a nice restaurant. It's time to revel." "I've got tickets to see ____________. It's time to revel." "____________ stopped by and we always have a few. It's just what we do." 

Dancing on the edge of this thing is not sustainable. But you will have to come to that conclusion yourselves. And the moment you do, the moment you realize that you can't keep dancing with the devil and expect it to turn out well, will be the moment you can actually quit. Right now you have hope that this method will work. As long as you have hope you won't quit. It's the minute you realize there is no hope that you can stop dancing. But that's not something I can explain to you. I can't tell you about it. You have to experience it yourselves. There are all sorts of people that have something terrible happen in their lives to hit rock bottom and realize there is no hope anymore. I hope all of you come to that realization before that happens. And again, I'm here to take it offline and chat about this. Any time of the day or night. 
Nice post.  Just tried sending you a PM but your message box is full.  

FBG Daily Tracker

Honus, Hack, and I are tracking our daily consumption against our self-defined limits.

If you want in, please send me a message with your email. You’ll need a Gmail account to write to the shared sheet.

Intent is not perfection, it’s accountability. If I’d been doing this in April-September it would have likely saved me a lot of money and hangovers by getting me to slow down from a cue other than draining a bottle. 

Takes <30 seconds a day. Hope some of you will join.
requested

TheFanatic said:

This 👆 💯 Your either a mile back from the ledge enjoying the view or your completely off. There is no tiptoeing around it. I struggle with knowing how far/close I am given I've seen alcoholism 1st hand with family. But I do crave a really good glass of wine on the weekend (I average 4-6 glasses over a week) which has been an output of expanding my love of food over the years. Only wine, preferably red, since most other alcohol has very little appeal (grown away from beer and scotch is the only spirit I have and its once in a blue moon; 2-3x a year). I do set boundaries as Thu-Sun only and max 2 glasses on a Fri/Sat. Is that still a ledge esp given family history? I don't know.

I guess the better question is what is the edge/ledge and how do you best recognize it.

And thoughts are with myself, too. I don't drink anymore but have a sobriety date that's often on the move, so if I'm being fully honest, I have a lot to work on, too, including making sure I don't slip and drink. At all. 

Finally have some time off, (excuse)  will be working on this soon
The spreadsheet has been really helpful for me - even if that’s not necessarily reflected in my line. Like @Mr. Ham said above, it’s about accountability. I’ve been lying to myself for many years now, and God knows I’ve lied to those around me. But I do not lie to the spreadsheet. I can now see quantitatively the extent of my situation, which will inevitably make it easier to chip away at a little bit at a time. 

I've just got to say it. All of you dancing on the edge of this thing hoping that if you just try real hard you can limit it to a handful a night and it won't be problem, it won't work.

Dancing on the edge of this thing is not sustainable. 
:banned:

Everything you say is true but you do understand that drinking in this country is thru the roof right now...folks say they are not going out but the bars are filled to the brim around where I am. Total Wines runs out of liquor!!! I appreciate you being honest, it's not what I want to hear or read but you got massive credit with me through the years, it does matter when someone like you puts it out there. I believe you, that if I truly wanted help and reached out that you would be there. 

:banned:

Everything you say is true but you do understand that drinking in this country is thru the roof right now...folks say they are not going out but the bars are filled to the brim around where I am. Total Wines runs out of liquor!!! I appreciate you being honest, it's not what I want to hear or read but you got massive credit with me through the years, it does matter when someone like you puts it out there. I believe you, that if I truly wanted help and reached out that you would be there. 
Yeah, alcohol sales were up like 33% last year. Considering how much this country already drank before Covid, that is a big number.

I am extremely thankful that I stopped in 2019 because I'm now working for myself so I don't have to commute or report to anyone or do anything for anyone else. Basically, I would be in serious trouble if I were not sober right now because day drinking would be a thing for me in no time. I am a firm believe in a higher power and I feel like He got me off the sauce just in time because I would be drowning in it right now.

And yes, if you ever need to talk about this or anything else, send me a DM. I'm here whenever you need someone. 

Come on guys. Let’s rally!

Which is to say, let’s really put forth a great effort this coming week. 

I'm just here to say I disagree with this completely. Most people I know have "drank" since they were teenagers and most of those same people abused alcohol in their college party years (some beyond) and most of those same people never stopped drinking and most of those same people have a beer or two at most a night now, and maybe a couple more on the weekend. 

All those people at one point or another, for one reason or another cut back a little and it stuck. 

Like everything, it's a spectrum and polarizing people at one end of it or another is not helpful. There's a whole world of gray out there, it's not black or white. 

I'm just here to say I disagree with this completely. Most people I know have "drank" since they were teenagers and most of those same people abused alcohol in their college party years (some beyond) and most of those same people never stopped drinking and most of those same people have a beer or two at most a night now, and maybe a couple more on the weekend. 

All those people at one point or another, for one reason or another cut back a little and it stuck. 

Like everything, it's a spectrum and polarizing people at one end of it or another is not helpful. There's a whole world of gray out there, it's not black or white. 
You are absolutely right.   In a general sense, what you wrote is very true.  Most people are how you described.

Fanatic is speaking directly to one individual, and I don't believe that the message was meant to be an overarching statement about all people.

You are absolutely right.   In a general sense, what you wrote is very true.  Most people are how you described.

Fanatic is speaking directly to one individual, and I don't believe that the message was meant to be an overarching statement about all people.
It is though, his paragraph starts out "I've just got to say it. All of you dancing on the edge of this thing hoping that if you just try real hard you can limit it to a handful a night and it won't be problem, it won't work. His belief is clearly that there's a tipping point and once you pass that point, it's all or nothing (because that was his experience) and that's what I disagree with. Like I say, it's a spectrum and you absolutely can move where you fall on that spectrum.

It is though, his paragraph starts out "I've just got to say it. All of you dancing on the edge of this thing hoping that if you just try real hard you can limit it to a handful a night and it won't be problem, it won't work. His belief is clearly that there's a tipping point and once you pass that point, it's all or nothing (because that was his experience) and that's what I disagree with. Like I say, it's a spectrum and you absolutely can move where you fall on that spectrum.
Fair enough.   I agree - the vast majority of people can move where they fall on that spectrum.   That said, my experience is that there are people who absolutely have passed a tipping point.   And there is no going back from that point.   I have no opinion on which people fall into each category.  That is a very person-by-person issue.

Fair enough.   I agree - the vast majority of people can move where they fall on that spectrum.   That said, my experience is that there are people who absolutely have passed a tipping point.   And there is no going back from that point.   I have no opinion on which people fall into each category.  That is a very person-by-person issue.
For sure. My dad was a problem drinker and never really moved where he was on that spectrum, maybe he couldn't. But there are people in here having 4 glasses of wine **a week** and feeling like they're on the ledge of some serious problem and stuff like that or notions that alcohol is inherently some evil thing to be avoided... I will push back against that. And like you say, most people can move where they fall on the spectrum so to blankly say to the group as a whole "cutting back won't work"... :no:

For sure. My dad was a problem drinker and never really moved where he was on that spectrum, maybe he couldn't. But there are people in here having 4 glasses of wine **a week** and feeling like they're on the ledge of some serious problem and stuff like that or notions that alcohol is inherently some evil thing to be avoided... I will push back against that. And like you say, most people can move where they fall on the spectrum so to blankly say to the group as a whole "cutting back won't work"... :no:
I'm at about 50 drinks a week.  That's why im in here.  just fyi, nothing for or against your debate

Some people are fine cutting down.

Some people are not
Absolutely. Some people are going to get the wake up call and realize they are on the road to a problem and back off. Those people aren't really problem drinkers. Habitual maybe, but don't have a real problem. But those that have failed at doing this multiple times and are hoping this one is the magic bullet...

req access again
Hang in there for just a bit. It seems like Mr. Ham hasn’t been around for quite awhile and may not be part of the forum anymore. If that’s true, I hope he knows that I wish him well and appreciate his friendship and support.

I will see if I can figure out how to do another Google docs tracker and invite the others to use that one instead.

Hang in there for just a bit. It seems like Mr. Ham hasn’t been around for quite awhile and may not be part of the forum anymore. If that’s true, I hope he knows that I wish him well and appreciate his friendship and support.

I will see if I can figure out how to do another Google docs tracker and invite the others to use that one instead.
0 drinks sunday (a bit hungover)

10 mon

0 tues

quite a few wed

8 thurs

The guys who got in trouble in our group fell into 3 profiles.  One was golfing more than working and stopping in for pops at a bar on the way home every day. Sorta killed his career and almost wrecked his marriage. He got sober about 5 years ago and is doing great. The second had no off switch and became an angry, mean, blackout drunk. He quit for a decade but is battling it again. The 3rd was the closet drinker. You’d play golf at 8 am and he couldn’t put a tee in the ground by the 6th hole. Accidentally grabbed the wrong Gatorade in the cart and it was pure vodka. He was sneaking it everywhere. Big time problem

I just received a message from the artist formerly known as Mr. Ham. He asked me to let you and everyone else who has been a part of this thread know that this post struck a nerve with him. Woke him up. He said that once he embraced the above as true for him, he quit with a level of resignation and peace he’d never experienced when it came to drinking.

He also wants you to know that he is now twelve days sober and committed to staying the course. 

Godspeed, Ham. Godspeed. 

I just received a message from the artist formerly known as Mr. Ham. He asked me to let you and everyone else who has been a part of this thread know that this post struck a nerve with him. Woke him up. He said that once he embraced the above as true for him, he quit with a level of resignation and peace he’d never experienced when it came to drinking.

He also wants you to know that he is now twelve days sober and committed to staying the course. 

Godspeed, Ham. Godspeed. 
Let Ham know if he ever wants to talk about it, I'm free day or night. 

Godspeed, Ham. Godspeed. 
Once a person gets to this point, it makes the whole process much smoother and for lack of a better term "easier". It is what is talked about in AA as the Higher power.  As TheFanatic has said, anyone who wants to talk about it or as questions, please PM.  

Godspeed, Ham. Godspeed. 
Glad to hear it and hope to hear from him some time again

@bostonfred 

:suds:    :banned:    :banned:    :suds:

-As an aside I just want to say that this isn't funny to BF and I'm sorry to everyone I may have disappointed tonight but I haven't checked in lately and I don't think its fair to just be BF's burden in a PM...my wife and I are talking tonight, she's a stronger woman than you might think. 

-It started as a Tuesday Night and then Tennis got canceled due to rain and then I just kept going, I'm just being honest. 

I didn't want to post all this in here because that's not the alcoholic thread. 

I had written this post in there and realized that wasn't right and I found this thread launched in Oct of 2020, believe me I understand very clearly why you might have launched this during the pandemic and also a change of leadership, that can be hard no matter who you vote for. 

I'm OK but I just felt like I needed to talk and say something tonight. It's really not BFs problem but he has reached out a couple times and it's not right if i don't check in when i ain't right. I cannot really explain it, I wish I could but I really can't this very minute.

I have many stories but they don't seem to matter right now. I have a boatload of people who are waiting to catch me, honestly I live a blessed life and that's what makes this even more depressing IMHO. I will work on this, thought I was working on this but obviously not enough. 

I love all of you and i don't mean to be a burden, i just needed to post up tonight and it goes like this for me. 

@bostonfred 

:suds:    :banned:    :banned:    :suds:

-As an aside I just want to say that this isn't funny to BF and I'm sorry to everyone I may have disappointed tonight but I haven't checked in lately and I don't think its fair to just be BF's burden in a PM...my wife and I are talking tonight, she's a stronger woman than you might think. 

-It started as a Tuesday Night and then Tennis got canceled due to rain and then I just kept going, I'm just being honest. 

I didn't want to post all this in here because that's not the alcoholic thread. 

I had written this post in there and realized that wasn't right and I found this thread launched in Oct of 2020, believe me I understand very clearly why you might have launched this during the pandemic and also a change of leadership, that can be hard no matter who you vote for. 

I'm OK but I just felt like I needed to talk and say something tonight. It's really not BFs problem but he has reached out a couple times and it's not right if i don't check in when i ain't right. I cannot really explain it, I wish I could but I really can't this very minute.

I have many stories but they don't seem to matter right now. I have a boatload of people who are waiting to catch me, honestly I live a blessed life and that's what makes this even more depressing IMHO. I will work on this, thought I was working on this but obviously not enough. 

I love all of you and i don't mean to be a burden, i just needed to post up tonight.  
I hope you are able to work things out for the both of you. Training camp is around the corner. Still lots of Yankees giving many people in South Florida lots of business, hopefully you too. I'm a lightweight, so never had a problem, my oldest daughter can drink with the best of them, I worry about her liver.

Users who are viewing this thread