What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Current Backup QBs with 2021 Starting Potential (1 Viewer)

spacepimp

Footballguy
Are there any current Backups (not named Wentz) that could have a starting job in 2021?

Few names come to mind:

1).  Taysom Hill

2). Jameis Winston

3). Jacoby Brisett

I've picked up Brisset where I can. Guessing rivers retires and he gets at least a year.

Deep breath. Stidham ?

I've picked up Brisset where I can. Guessing rivers retires and he gets at least a year.

Deep breath.
Breathing deeply, also.

Bunch of good quarterbacks coming out. Don't see the old backups really getting a second chance. Maybe Winston. Maybe. But in that case he's likely going to an organization that needs help other than molding a "hero ball" guy.

So nobody, really. I can't imagine Brissett being a valuable member of a starting unit. His ANY/A last time around was terrible. Guy is a checkdown master. 

Not sure how long he’s signed for, but maybe Tyrod Taylor - who got Wally Pipped.
The problem with Tyrod is that he's a play away from getting Wally Pipped by anyone, not just Herbert. I know advanced stats tend to see him as an average quarterback, but I have serious doubts.

Who does that leave the Cowboys with? They can franchise Dak again, if I'm not mistaken. I don't doubt for a moment they will.
It depends on their draft.  If Dak is not healed and the Cowboys end up in a spot to draft Wilson, I think they would.  In that case Indy would be a perfect fit for Dak.

It depends on their draft.  If Dak is not healed and the Cowboys end up in a spot to draft Wilson, I think they would.  In that case Indy would be a perfect fit for Dak.
Fair enough. They're looking like they're going to be in a position to do so, as of now. I doubt Cincinnati and LAC draft another QB given the performance of their current rookies (Burrow obviously extensively hurt) so there's that. Looks like Jets, Jags, Cinci, LAC, then Dallas in that order. For now.

They’ll need to make a decision (franchise or sign long-term) on Dak well before the draft. Only way they draft a QB early IMO is if they bypass both options. As Rock above said, I fully expect them to franchise him.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’ll need to make a decision (franchise or sign long-term) on Dak well before the draft. Only way they draft a QB early IMO is if they bypass both options. As Rock above said, I fully expect them to franchise him.
The second franchise tag will cost them $37 million, and this season has shown they have a lot of holes to address. Doesn't seem to be a wise choice, but Jerry Jones is still calling the shots, so I expect them to do that.  Or they could trade for Stafford.

They really should have just signed him long term before Watson and Mahomes signed their deals.  Now the Cowboys are going to end up paying an inferior QB just as much.

Fitzmagic won't be on the Dolphins next year, but I'm not sure where he lands.

Nobody has mentioned Jameis Winston yet.

Jacob Eason

He's beloved by that organization, same with Brissett. Rivers is a free agent but they have tons of cap space he could be re-signed. Or they go full on future mode with Eason and sign all the priority free agents. 

PJ Walker

Panthers backup but Teddy is signed til 2022 maybe he's a future guy somewhere.

Mike Glennon/Gardner Minshew

Possible they use Glennon as a stop gap if whoever they take in 2021 isn't so great in training camp. I think it's 95% sure they take a QB in their top5 pick this year, but you never know how they look when they actually get their hands on them. Also possible they trade Minshew after they take a top QB so he could backup/start elsewhere if a team is investing in him. 

Jacob Eason

He's beloved by that organization, same with Brissett. Rivers is a free agent but they have tons of cap space he could be re-signed. Or they go full on future mode with Eason and sign all the priority free agents. 
Is this true? Haven't heard anything about Eason this year really but have him in a SF league and was curious if he'd shown anything in practice this season.

Teams with QB Issues, but maybe not high enough in draft to address the issue:

1.  Washington — who will be QB Long Term

2.   Chicago — should be able to get a QB in the draft...unless it is Pace doing the picking. 

3.  San Francisco — is Jimmy G the answer. 

4.  New England — who knows

5.  Denver — It’s going to grow critical to find a competent QB while all the skill players are young and cheap.  

Teams with QB Issues, but maybe not high enough in draft to address the issue:

1.  Washington — who will be QB Long Term

2.   Chicago — should be able to get a QB in the draft...unless it is Pace doing the picking. 

3.  San Francisco — is Jimmy G the answer. 

4.  New England — who knows

5.  Denver — It’s going to grow critical to find a competent QB while all the skill players are young and cheap.  
similar problems may soon exist in

Indianapolis 

Tampa Bay

Detroit

Atlanta

Pittsburgh

knowledge dropper said:
I thought Fitz was planning to hang it up?  
I haven't heard any talk of him planning to hang It up after this year. He's playing as well or better than QBs in several cities, even though his top weapons, Parker and Gesicki, are get bottom 5 separation. He'll sign somewhere for 1 to 2 years. I could see NE and CINN.

Are we at the point with T Hill that we expect him to take over for NO? He's not a world beater but unless he faceplants hard he can do enough with that team to make noise in the playoffs next year and beyond, and NO isn't going to be in position to draft a top qb.

NO is weird. I can see a situation with hill the gadget player as a starter and a 2nd or 3 rd rounder coming is as the traditional qb on Third down. 

Edit to add sarcasm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread