What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are our politicians still not helping our citizens? (1 Viewer)

I would love to know.  It feels like gross negligence and misconduct at this point.
When we watch a football game and see a player get his knee blown out and his foot is facing the wrong direction we think "Dam, that must hurt"  but it really does not hurt us at all.   

Same with Pelosi, Shumer and McConnell.  They might think "Oh, people are hurting" but Nothing really impacts them on a personal level.

Dan Crenshaw torches Pelosi on the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie's tweet from Friday illustrates a fundamental difference of opinion as to the role of government:

Bernie Sanders @BernieSanders

Dec 11

Wages subsidized by the government during pandemic:

Canada – $2,000 a month

Japan – Up to 100%

Norway – Up to 90%

Germany – Up to 87%

France – Up to 84%

UK – Up to 80%

Italy – Up to 80%

US – 0.0%

That is an international embarrassment. The working class needs our help NOW!

Some say this is an absolute travesty.  Others would say its a sign of strength - that we don't depend on government handouts.

Bernie's tweet from Friday illustrates a fundamental difference of opinion as to the role of government:

Some say this is an absolute travesty.  Others would say its a sign of strength - that we don't depend on government handouts.
Completely ignoring the millions of Americans with no source of income or severely limited income due to the pandemic.

because we don't deserve it. suckerism has replaced both capitalism & communism and we are constantly being played anymore. the world sells us identities or ways to announce, confirm & embrace our own identity and means to disparage the identities of others without opening ourselves to reverse treatment and our only response is. "where's my stuff?". yes, politicians have sold out, but only because we buy them instead of vote for them, support them, inform them, hold their feet to the fire now. i can draw the line on lack of responsibility & responsiveness from our govt directly to the increase in our customerhood/decline in our citizenship over the last 30-40 yrs. but i wont, cuz i got stuff coming.

When we watch a football game and see a player get his knee blown out and his foot is facing the wrong direction we think "Dam, that must hurt"  but it really does not hurt us at all.   

Same with Pelosi, Shumer and McConnell.  They might think "Oh, people are hurting" but Nothing really impacts them on a personal level.

Dan Crenshaw torches Pelosi on the floor.
This guy is a tool - sorry. He spouts off about "unscientific lockdowns" and tries to put the lack of relief bills on Pelosi. It is shameful. How many different bills have the dems passed in the house only to have it just sit on a desk - not even go up for debate. For Crenshaw to play the "Pelosi is beign political" card is ridiculous and completely ignores the reality of the situation

I don't always agree with Bernie, but he's spot on here. 

But the stock market is doing great, so everyone must be too. 

It's shameful.

This guy is a tool - sorry. He spouts off about "unscientific lockdowns" and tries to put the lack of relief bills on Pelosi. It is shameful. How many different bills have the dems passed in the house only to have it just sit on a desk - not even go up for debate. For Crenshaw to play the "Pelosi is beign political" card is ridiculous and completely ignores the reality of the situation
That is true also.

Restaurants and other small businesses are being pummeled by public health and safety initiatives leading to unemployed or underpaid employees struggling to pay rent/mortgages and the US govt cme up with a whopping $1200/ 6 months ago as a cure all and Now we are on the precipice of massive evictions and defaults while the govt fiddles. Looking at Sanders data I am infuriated and ashamed.

Restaurants and other small businesses are being pummeled by public health and safety initiatives leading to unemployed or underpaid employees struggling to pay rent/mortgages and the US govt cme up with a whopping $1200/ 6 months ago as a cure all and Now we are on the precipice of massive evictions and defaults while the govt fiddles. Looking at Sanders data I am infuriated and ashamed.
Sanders' "data?"

Bernie needs to get his facts straight and stop pedaling misinformation.  According to the OECD website...

In the United States, 26 states (accounting for about 70% of the population) operate Short-Time Compensation (STC) programmes. Through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the Federal Government now funds 100% of STC payments in States with an existing programme and 50% in States that introduce a new one. 

...the United States introduced several limited wage subsidies schemes such as the Paycheck Protection Programme (PPP) and the Employee Retention Tax Credit (ERTC). 

https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/job-retention-schemes-during-the-covid-19-lockdown-and-beyond-0853ba1d/

Yes, I was fortunate to work for a firm eligible for ppp and that allowed me and my coworkers the opportunity to stay employed. That was 6 months ago however and now there is talk of a further shutdown in my area and this time there is No ppp to bail pout my firm. Also the folks in many small businesses in my area did not recieve the ppp help and the owners and any employess continue to be shut out now that the unemployment bennies are scaling back and the evicition moritorium about to lapse. Folks are struggling, anxious and scared.

Order shutdowns, limit capacity, decide essential a non-essential but then dont offer financial support and watch folks and businesses whither.

It also shows how dishonest american politicians are. 

Eta: because bernie is lying when he says 0$.

People will get help ( UI supplements, Stimulus checks) when businesses get their bailouts (liability protection, Airline bailouts).  Mitch McConnell knows who funds his campaign.

I would love to know.  It feels like gross negligence and misconduct at this point.
Here are the people McConnell cares about. The people that got 84% of the tax cut while taxes went up for some of us and they got rid of the charitable contribution deduction.  Don't give me the both sides nonsense either. The democratic House passed relief in May.  He won't hear any of it without more protections for these people. 

Net Worth of U.S. Billionaires Has Soared by $1 Trillion—To Total of $4 Trillion—Since Pandemic Began

ONE TRILLION IN 9 MONTHS

To put 1 trillion in perspective that's more than $3000 for every man, woman and child in the US since the pandemic began. Meanwhile millions of Americans are out of work, hungry and facing eviction. It makes my soul ache. 

Here are the people McConnell cares about. The people that got 84% of the tax cut while taxes went up for some of us and they got rid of the charitable contribution deduction.  Don't give me the both sides nonsense either. The democratic House passed relief in May.  He won't hear any of it without more protections for these people. 

Net Worth of U.S. Billionaires Has Soared by $1 Trillion—To Total of $4 Trillion—Since Pandemic Began

ONE TRILLION IN 9 MONTHS

To put 1 trillion in perspective that's more than $3000 for every man, woman and child in the US since the pandemic began. Meanwhile millions of Americans are out of work, hungry and facing eviction. It makes my soul ache. 
Maybe your soul would ache less if you actually understood what was going on.

The net worth of billionaires has gone up during the pandemic because they own a substantial amount financial assets. Financial assets have ballooned in value because the Fed is printing money, driving interest rates to zero which makes cash worthless, and implementing quantitative easing.

Why is the Fed printing money? To fund stimulus checks and unemployment programs......that are going to.......millions of Americans who are out of work and hungry.

This is what happens when you have a $27 trillion national debt. Wealth inequality gets worse.

It's a big financial feedback loop that has occurred countless times throughout history and has nothing to do with McConnell.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

The net worth of billionaires has gone up during the pandemic because they own a substantial amount financial assets. Financial assets have ballooned in value because the Fed is printing money, driving interest rates to zero which makes cash worthless, and implementing quantitative easing.

Why is the Fed printing money? To fund stimulus checks and unemployment programs......that are going to.......millions of Americans who are out of work and hungry.

This is what happens when you have a $27 trillion national debt. Wealth inequality gets worse.

It's a big financial feedback loop that has occurred countless times throughout history and has nothing to do with McConnell.
I understand what is going on. Instead of helping those that need it, republicans passed new tax regulation to help billionaires, in a time of prosperity, instead of helping those that truly need it. Yes, that's why they have gained so much money in the last 9 months. 

I understand what is going on. Instead of helping those that need it, republicans passed new tax regulation to help billionaires, in a time of prosperity, instead of helping those that truly need it. Yes, that's why they have gained so much money in the last 9 months. 
And it was under the Obama administration that the Fed printing money became widely accepted as normal. Which jump started the wealth gap widening.

So your exclusive blame on the republicans' tax cut (which BTW was before the pandemic) is blatantly partisan and inaccurate. 

Here is AOC with the answer - Video Link

No matter your feelings on AOC  and progressive policies - this is the future of communicating and grassroots campaigns.  This video was on my 17 year old daughters Instagram  Thursday night.  

Rates in the US are much higher than other parts of the world, and we have a much higher Debt to GDP Ratio than most of them (Japan is the exception).

10yr US - 0.896%

10yr UK - 0.175%

10yr JPN - 0.009%

10yr FR -  (0.3758)%

10yt GRM - (0.627)%

Trump attacked Powell for not lowering the rates further.  And he still proposed lowering cap gains taxes again this fall.  Mnuchin also withdrew financial tools from the Fed after Trump lost the election.  

It's a big financial feedback loop that has occurred countless times throughout history and has nothing to do with McConnell
McConnell is today’s problem. He may not have have started it, but he is facilitating it today and it’s disgusting. 

We need to stop corporations from socializing losses and privatizing profits. We must incentivize corporation resiliency, not corporation efficiency. 

JAA said:
McConnell is today’s problem. He may not have have started it, but he is facilitating it today and it’s disgusting. 

We need to stop corporations from socializing losses and privatizing profits. We must incentivize corporation resiliency, not corporation efficiency. 
My post was strictly addressing the linkages among printing money, monetizing debt and the ever-increasing wealth gap. These are more a function of a country's overall financial health / monetary policies and less to do with individual politicians, or even political parties.

Going forward, hopefully the U.S. can better coordinate fiscal and monetary policy to more directly get printed money in the hands of lower income folks... vs. feeding the financial asset bubble and wealth inequalities further.

I'm not a huge fan of McConnell...but also realize that in this forum he and Trump are the root of all evil so will just let it go at that.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
JAA said:
And yet Republicans made gains and are likely to retain the Senate. I agree with everything you said, but average Joe checking R's down his ballot just doesn't care. Even if he's ground zero out of work, without health insurance and a month late on rent. His entire political platform may be disagreement with mask mandates. We get the politicians we deserve. 

This isn’t correct, though. He may argue that unemployment benefits aren’t high enough but they are greater than $0. And were specifically increased during the first 6 months of COVID. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
This is the messaging problem hyperbole causes.  He said 0%......we had like $480 billion go directly to individuals (which is what he's talking about...payments to individuals) right?  In 2019 we had like 18.5 trillion in wages.  That's like .002%.  If one wants to argue "that's not zero", fine go for it and ignore the overall point :shrug:  

This is the messaging problem hyperbole causes.  He said 0%......we had like $480 billion go directly to individuals (which is what he's talking about...payments to individuals) right?  In 2019 we had like 18.5 trillion in wages.  That's like .002%.  If one wants to argue "that's not zero", fine go for it and ignore the overall point :shrug:  

That's total wages. Not wages lost due to COVID. Or even wages lost period. Much of that $18.5 trillion was still earned. What's the highest unemployment got to in the US? Like 15%?

That's total wages. Not wages lost due to COVID. Or even wages lost period. Much of that $18.5 trillion was still earned. What's the highest unemployment got to in the US? Like 15%?
That seems to be his point....these other countries have been supporting their workers as they demand they stay in place.  Our country really hasn't and several of those have given the support regardless of impact.  Yeah, it could be better framed and more nuance given to individual countries, but no matter how we slice it, our response/support directly to individuals has been abysmal.  If we want to bump that to 1% support (which would be incredibly generous) we'd still be found wanting.  That's the overall point I think he's trying to make.  

ETA:  If you want to talk about lost wages, we can do that too.  Weren't we at over 1.5 trillion lost in wages in May...just a few months in?  I haven't seen numbers recently, if anyone has the updated numbers, I'd like to look.  Even at that, we'd be at under 33% and there are MANY people like myself who got the checks and didn't even need the checks as we weren't impacted.  My wife and I both kept our jobs, even then money we were paying out wasn't going just to lost wage people.

That seems to be his point....these other countries have been supporting their workers as they demand they stay in place.  Our country really hasn't and several of those have given the support regardless of impact.  Yeah, it could be better framed and more nuance given to individual countries, but no matter how we slice it, our response/support directly to individuals has been abysmal.  If we want to bump that to 1% support (which would be incredibly generous) we'd still be found wanting.  That's the overall point I think he's trying to make.  
His numbers are jacked. They aren't consistent. And that hurts his overall point. 

I suspect he's right - those other countries probably did pay unemployed workers more. But when he says, for example, Canada was $2000 per month - so was the US for 6 months (when you combine state and fed unemployment contributions). 

So maybe his overall point is correct - but he certainly can't point to made up numbers to support it.

His numbers are jacked. They aren't consistent. And that hurts his overall point. 

I suspect he's right - those other countries probably did pay unemployed workers more. But when he says, for example, Canada was $2000 per month - so was the US for 6 months (when you combine state and fed unemployment contributions). 

So maybe his overall point is correct - but he certainly can't point to made up numbers to support it.
This, I agree with and what I meant with my comment about hyperbole.  That said, we don't want to do an apples/apples comparison here...we're woefully behind everyone, once again, no matter how we slice it.  And there are still thousands of people in my state who have YET to see a dime of unemployment.  My state can't be the only one.

This, I agree with and what I meant with my comment about hyperbole.  That said, we don't want to do an apples/apples comparison here...we're woefully behind everyone, once again, no matter how we slice it.  And there are still thousands of people in my state who have YET to see a dime of unemployment.  My state can't be the only one.
Why haven't they gotten unemployment? If you already explained and I missed it, my apologies.

Why haven't they gotten unemployment? If you already explained and I missed it, my apologies.
Because the system here sucks and is riddled with programming issues.  My 13 year old could have written something better.  I genuinely believe this is by design.  It's a feature.

He flat out lied. Not hyperbole. 

2000 canadian is much less than 2400 US. 

JAA said:

My post was strictly addressing the linkages among printing money, monetizing debt and the ever-increasing wealth gap. These are more a function of a country's overall financial health / monetary policies and less to do with individual politicians, or even political parties.

Going forward, hopefully the U.S. can better coordinate fiscal and monetary policy to more directly get printed money in the hands of lower income folks... vs. feeding the financial asset bubble and wealth inequalities further.

I'm not a huge fan of McConnell...but also realize that in this forum he and Trump are the root of all evil so will just let it go at that
I’m not sure the is any root of all evil. There are a bunch of enablers for which MM is a huge one. 

I agree trickle down economics doesn’t work, has never worked, and will never work.

That said, our glorious capitalism experiment has evolved into some significantly unethical (so much fraud, lobbying, etc) and potentially immoral (Perdue pharmaceuticals) behavior. I believe we must right the ship of our capitalism being in service to the common good of man. 

Users who are viewing this thread