What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (1 Viewer)

I’m excited. Think the Bolts have a good chance at a back to back, and I don’t have to spend the regular-season stressing about how they will blow it in the playoffs. 

The question on everyones mind is will the blackhawks be forced to change their name. 

The fact that they didnt show the logo in that retro reverse campaign is telling

NHL! Whoohooo! Who'd have thought the NHL would be the model for getting things right?

They did.

Great work.

Now, again?

And now talk about whether Canadian teams will have to relocate to United States because of restrictions.

New "Canadian" division:

Atlanta (Flames?)
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Hartford
Houston
Indianapolis (no idea if Indy even has an arena that can host hockey any more)
Kansas City

And now talk about whether Canadian teams will have to relocate to United States because of restrictions.

New "Canadian" division:

Atlanta (Flames?)
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Hartford
Houston
Kansas City

That will not go over well in Canada.  I was wondering what was going to happen in regards to the canadian teams and travel, if they could.

New "Canadian" division:

Atlanta (Flames?)
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Hartford
Houston
Kansas City

Would they really pack it up and go to 7 different cities, or go to a hub or share cities? Have to imagine setting up 7 NHL rinks is expensive. 

World Juniors coming up in 11 days.

Rosters of each participating country: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm20/news/23233/players-battle-for-world-juniors-ticket
Love the World Jrs. We moved to YoutubeTV though, which doesnt carry NHL Network.  Looks like I need to sign up for Sling for a month this year. 

Fubo also carries it and has a 7 day free trial, but Sling's is only 3 days, which combined wouldnt be long enough for the entire tourney. 

@frank_seravalli: Tentative agreement between #NHL and #NHLPA (which requires approval) calls for training camps to open on Jan. 3 and regular season on Jan. 13.

The 7 teams who did not make 24-team playoff can open camp on Dec. 30.

All dates subject to change. Scheduling not finalized.

@PierreVLeBrun: Canadian NHL team issue over health protocols with provinces still not resolved, per source. But hope is to resolve it by Monday.

Capella said:
Would they really pack it up and go to 7 different cities, or go to a hub or share cities? Have to imagine setting up 7 NHL rinks is expensive. 
@frank_seravalli: Big question is - and something #NHLPA will talk about tonight on Exec Board call - what happens if Canadian provincial health authorities don’t sign off on protocols to play?

Options are Edmonton hub or all 7 teams move to 🇺🇸 for season. Players don’t seem wild about either.

Lebrun: 

Believe there was only one switch from the divisions I relayed a few weeks ago. Dallas for Minn. So here's how it would look, pending BOG approval (if Cdn teams can play in 🇨🇦😞

Bos-Buf-NJ-NYI-NYR-Phi-Pgh-Was
Car-CBJ-Dal-Det-Chi-Fla-Nas-TB
Ana-Ari-Col-LA-Min-SJ-STL-VGK
🇨🇦 teams

the playoffs will be your division in rounds 1 and 2. Top-4 teams in each division make it. Sweet situation for the Bolts. That Atlantic division looks rugged. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There was some player news this week- 

Lundquist won't play this year because of heart condition.  Not sure who Caps will look to for Samsonov backup.

Blues Alex Steen retires because of back issues. He is 36 and the back issue flared in the ayoffs but no idea if this retirement was a surprise. 

Florida Panthers with a bargain signing of Anthony Duclair for 1 year 1.5 mil. 6th team in 7 seasons. 

@IneffectiveMath: Anthony Duclair (1x1.7m with Florida) brings a little offence although his finishing has returned to earth a little. The defensive weaknesses are .... severe. https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1339707803053731843/photo/1

Steen’s retirement isn’t shocking. We all thought he would probably be on LTIR this season which is what will happen. Still, sad times. The Blues kept their team together after the cup win, but one season later they’ve lost their C and a couple As (Pietro, Steen, Bouwmeester). Steen was an important player for this era of Blues hockey that eventually led to a Cup. He will be missed. 

I haven't looked at the other Original Six matchups, but this is the first time ever (since they entered the league in 1924) that the Bruins and Canadiens won't meet in the regular season.

The B's didn't play the Leafs, Blackhawks or Red Wings in the 1994-95 lockout season.

They didn't play the Wings in 2012-13, or the Blackhawks in the regular season (apparently they met in the playoffs that year ... I forget what happened).

@AGretz: My math tells me that after re-signing Cernak and Ruuta the Lightning are at $87.7 million. That is roughly $6.25 million over the cap with Anthony Cirelli still to re-sign. This seems like a perfect time for somebody to try an offer *gets crushed by an anvil*

@AGretz: My math tells me that after re-signing Cernak and Ruuta the Lightning are at $87.7 million. That is roughly $6.25 million over the cap with Anthony Cirelli still to re-sign. This seems like a perfect time for somebody to try an offer *gets crushed by an anvil*
saw a report recently that Kucherov may be headed for LTIR?

saw a report recently that Kucherov may be headed for LTIR?
@frank_seravalli: Back of napkin math.

Assumptions: If Stamkos is healthy, and Kucherov needs LTIR, and TB send two one-way players to taxi squad.

That would give TB upwards of $5.25m to get Cirelli signed and not have to trade anyone.

Big gamble if Kucherov is healthy at any point.

@frank_seravalli: Also, not to be overlooked, the Lightning would like to re-sign both Mathieu Joseph and Alexander Volkov. Both have run out of waiver exemption and would need to pass through waivers to get to taxi squad. Pretty solid bet they'd get a claim. Keep an eye on those two.

The NHL finally took my advice (*) and made the blue line a vertical plane ... so a player's skate doesn't need to be touching the ice in order to be onside.

Hopefully this reduces the amount of long, drawn-out reviews and overturned goals.

(* Editor's note: The NHL probably didn't get this from me, unless Bettman reads the FFA, in which case we're all in trouble.)

My son must have played 30 games against Beniers and Berard in club hockey over the years. They were dominant as mites and never came back to the pack, like most young phenoms do. Fun for us to watch them play on this stage.

I would suspect the Bolts have the moves they need done and are just waiting for after Christmas to make them. They aren’t signing these guys blindly. People still clamoring for offer sheets just don’t get it. 

Users who are viewing this thread