What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Season Thread: TB wins and Kucherov loves beer (2 Viewers)

Hall bringing cookies to the Devils locker I can understand but why did he make Ristolainen carry them there?

-QG

Source on that rumor in my last post is me making it up.

It is interesting that they only isolated the 2 players so far - there are a couple practical questions I have that we'll probably never see the answers to: 1) if it is just a contact trace how did they settle on just those 2 players.  2) if one of them did test positive doesn't that actually CLEAR the Devils based on the amount of time before a positive result registering and/or symptoms presenting?

Not saying the NHL wasn't wrong here (they were massively wrong) but just saying that based on the above it is at least possible something was already up with Buffalo.  Anyway what a mess - looking forward to my Devils returning to play in March.

-QG

5+ wild players entering protocol.  Expect avalanche to have some as well after playing three consecutive games against them.  Rumors that wild will be shutdown for 7+ days.

*Tyson jost of colorado added.  Damnit.

Last edited by a moderator:
5+ wild players entering protocol.  Expect avalanche to have some as well after playing three consecutive games against them.  Rumors that wild will be shutdown for 7+ days.

*Tyson jost of colorado added.  Damnit.
given the Avs injuries, probably not the worst thing to get shut down for a bit

Regression to the Mean? (And Charlie is seldom wrong)

@charlieo_conn: The Flyers have won quite a few games this year they probably deserved to lose. This was one where if one penalty isn't called, or one puck bounces a different way, they probably come away with the win. Honestly, they were due for one like this.

Normally I would say the Pens might be better off without him but their only two good defenseman who are healthy are second year guy Marino and rookie POJ.
Wow

@SethRorabaugh: Penguins defenseman John Marino has been added to the NHL's list for "COVID Protocol Related Absences."

This Covid thing might be bad.  I have heard its been around since 2/2020, crazy enough.

That said, the Rangers have a roster conundrum they need to settle.  With Kreider and Panarin at LW on long term high dollar deals, Lafreniere will be relegated to 3rd line duties, unless Kreider is moved down, Panarin isn't moving.  For the long term, this won't work well, especially if the belief is that Lafreniere is a top 6 forward, which you have to believe.  Buchnevich, playing 1st line RW is RFA coming off a bridge deal and could command around $5mm per, which i don't believe his game warrants.  Kakko should be considered a top 6 RW, if you go under the high pick theory.  Kravtsov appears to be the goods and could be a top 6 once his KHL season ends.  Strome is not a C2.  I am not a fan of the Trouba deal, but i can live with that much more than the Kreider deal, which was done before anyone knew Lafreniere would happen.  Hasn't exceeded 28 goals nor 53 points in any season and has a no move at 6.5mm for 7.  This is important, because now Zibanejad will come due in 2022 and the Rangers need to figure if they pay him like a C1.  You have to figure there is a deal in the future that will clear the jam and bring a C2/C1.  Maybe Buch walks and Strome moves to RW, so he doesn't lose 65% of FOs.  They get 8.6mill back from the Hank & Shattenkirk buyouts, but they also can't pay Georgiev 2.425m to be a backup.  Lots of top end Dmen in the system, but timing for this team to have a window seems muddled.   

I'll accept refs being allowed to call embellishment penalties when they are willing to put up their game checks on being 100% right. 

The Lightning extend their winning streak over the Red Wings to 16 straight, and have now opened their season with 6 straight wins at home.

So 27 games shuffled around in the East Division.  Announcement on NHL site.  All 8 teams have games moved.  Sorry for no linky but stay tuned foe a million articles on what it all means.  Devils not scheduled until Thursday now.  Buffalo return still slated for Thursday.  Websites seem to need to catch up in terms of theie scheudules (the one Iooked at still seems screwy).

-QG

NYR: kind of stinks no game til Monday.  Nice win over the Caps though.

This Covid thing might be bad.  I have heard its been around since 2/2020, crazy enough.

That said, the Rangers have a roster conundrum they need to settle.  With Kreider and Panarin at LW on long term high dollar deals, Lafreniere will be relegated to 3rd line duties, unless Kreider is moved down, Panarin isn't moving.  For the long term, this won't work well, especially if the belief is that Lafreniere is a top 6 forward, which you have to believe.  Buchnevich, playing 1st line RW is RFA coming off a bridge deal and could command around $5mm per, which i don't believe his game warrants.  Kakko should be considered a top 6 RW, if you go under the high pick theory.  Kravtsov appears to be the goods and could be a top 6 once his KHL season ends.  Strome is not a C2.  I am not a fan of the Trouba deal, but i can live with that much more than the Kreider deal, which was done before anyone knew Lafreniere would happen.  Hasn't exceeded 28 goals nor 53 points in any season and has a no move at 6.5mm for 7.  This is important, because now Zibanejad will come due in 2022 and the Rangers need to figure if they pay him like a C1.  You have to figure there is a deal in the future that will clear the jam and bring a C2/C1.  Maybe Buch walks and Strome moves to RW, so he doesn't lose 65% of FOs.  They get 8.6mill back from the Hank & Shattenkirk buyouts, but they also can't pay Georgiev 2.425m to be a backup.  Lots of top end Dmen in the system, but timing for this team to have a window seems muddled.   
It's quite a conundrum:

LW - I hope Lafreniere is able to force Kreider to #3 LW in the near future, but that's an awful lot of $$ for that.   7 years/6.5AAV

RW - Buchnevich - imo has been our best forward this year.  I've been on the trade Buch team, but now not so sure.....neither Kakko or Kravstov are ready...but jeez we need both of them to hit.

C - still amazed we turned Ryan Spooner into Ryan Strome, but yes...he's not a C2.    I can't be the only one worried about Zib's concussion history.....do we pay him in 2022?    Chytil's development is so important....can he be a C2, that injury came at the worst time.      This center position has the most intrigue to me.   

D - Trouba overpaid with a nmc for a few years, what can you do now.   Miller is playing like I hoped he would 2-3 years from now.   top4 are fine, bottom 2 - we got guys coming.      In case anyone missed this Anthony Bitetto's first goal in 3 years,  it was a dandy.        Sam Rosen sounds like he's saying Anthony Potato.   

Flyers are going to be just good enough to be decent but not beat really good teams regularly....

At least golf is on also

Is the NHL switching around any games due to covid or are they sticking strictly to the schedule and adding cancelled games to the end?

This story about what happened at the end of the second period in the Hurricanes-Blue Jackets game is pretty incredible.

https://theathletic.com/2374438/2021/02/08/miscommunication-explained-how-chaos-led-to-botched-call-against-blue-jackets/

For those who don't subscribe:

• Hurricanes score, Blue Jackets challenge for offsides.
  • While the review is starting, off-ice video coordinator is heard saying "That's a good goal" -- except that the video coordinator is not supposed to speak.
  • Meanwhile in Toronto, they're still reviewing the different feeds, including one angle that shows it wasn't a good goal.
  • Meanwhile meanwhile, the linesmen heard the "good goal" call, took off the headsets and called it good on the ice. Penalty called on Columbus, puck dropped.
  • Chaos ensues as Toronto tries to figure out what to do, and if they can stop the game that already has resumed.
  • The period ends with Carolina still on the power play, so the league and refs decided to wipe out the remaining 45 seconds of the PP to start the third. But the goal that should have counted is allowed to stand.
:crazy:

I read that when they told Columbus about it at the intermission they said "we wished we could take the goal back but there's no precedent for that"  But they took the penalty off the board and the guy got to come out rather then server the rest of it. There's  precedent for that?

Hard to believe something like this could even happen.  

Ziegleresque stuff from the league with that Columbus deal.

Anyway back to the litany of depression - LeBrun reporting more NJ/BUF/MIN postponements on tap.  And now two linesman that worked the BUF/NJ games are in the profile - maybe it isn't the case for outdoor sports like football but it is getting harder and harder to deny in-game transmission is possible in at least some sports. :(

https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1358878287200718855?s=19

-QG

Ziegleresque stuff from the league with that Columbus deal.

Anyway back to the litany of depression - LeBrun reporting more NJ/BUF/MIN postponements on tap.  And now two linesman that worked the BUF/NJ games are in the profile - maybe it isn't the case for outdoor sports like football but it is getting harder and harder to deny in-game transmission is possible in at least some sports. :(

https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1358878287200718855?s=19

-QG
There was a study that suggest hockey specifically could not be as safe as other indoor sports and definitely worse than outdoor.  It has something to do with the coolness of the air and the air flow

With both the Flyers and Capitals facing cancellations this weekend, I wonder if league sets up games between them ( even though they played yesterday and again tomorrow).

I read that when they told Columbus about it at the intermission they said "we wished we could take the goal back but there's no precedent for that"  But they took the penalty off the board and the guy got to come out rather then server the rest of it. There's  precedent for that?

They erase goals all the time for that exact reason, the guy being offsides. Heck, I still vividly remember when a player couldn’t be in the crease near the goalie, goals got disallowed practically every game! How does a professional sports league not a) have relatively simple rules, b) know what those rules are, c) enforce them consistently?

There was a study that suggest hockey specifically could not be as safe as other indoor sports and definitely worse than outdoor.  It has something to do with the coolness of the air and the air flow
The cold air/surface allows the particles to hang in the air longer than they do outside or in warmer conditions.  That and the fact that most rinks don't have great air filtration systems, although I think that's more likely in smaller private and or community owned rinks. 

But don't tell that to hockey parents, my lord.  My kids played their first games in NYS this past weekend, and while it was great to see them play, the whole thing still makes me nervous when there is so much we just don't know yet. Just hoping everyone stays safe. 

Agree that the league screwed the pooch on this one, but just taking the goal off the board and resetting the clock to the time it happened and adding that to the 3rd period potentially sets a bad precedent in and of itself too. 

What would happen if this happens with 5 mins gone in a period, the teams continue to play the rest of the period and score 3 more goals in the period, a guy gets a game misconduct for licking someone, and a coach gets tossed for taking his mask off.  Do then all 15 mins get wiped from the record, those goals never happened, and face-licker and the coach get put back in the game? Opens up a messy can of worms. 

But potentially costing a team two goals because the league screwed up is inexcusable and needs to be fixed. 

Fairly boring game to watch thru the 1st,  but that's what you get with the Islanders.   

:is this thing on, taps mic:

edit: still boring thru 2 periods...5 more games against the fish sticks, yawn.

@BrianMunzTSN: Laine’s last shift of the game tonight was at 13:41 of 2nd period.   

Benched entire 3rd period.

Roslovic scores the GWG for #CBJ  vs #Letsgocanes .

@TSN1290Radio @TSNHockey

Users who are viewing this thread